FFXV EDGE Preview 300th issue (Nov' 2016)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
So what did you guys like/dislike about the game based on this preview?
I can't judge the game without actual context, but when he talked about Luna screen time its got me a little bit worried. I wish she was more presented in the main party.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
I also think that, based on his tweets, what most people are assuming are linear are something reminiscent or close to Uncharted. I think that is a HUGE misunderstanding. While yes, the endgame (what comes after the train section most likely) may be similar to that structure, I dont think the train section really is. I think it acts more as a base, and you progress through some semi open areas in order, as apposed to in the previous areas where you can pretty much do what you want. To be honest. I really don't see the point in the Airship if its just to fly over one continent. Something tells me that the continent the train section is on is full of stuff to do as well, its just more structured and in order storywise until you obtain the airship. What happens after is another story, but here I think we shouldn't really call it linear, just similar to previous FF games.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
well, certainly we need to take into account that he only played 40 hours and this is not enough time to evaluate how large the world map is (FFXV is a 200 hours game worthy of content); he probably played the main story, and while the second half may be more linear maybe it can offer more.

the part where he criticised the implementation of some mechanics and features might be related by his limited playtime, like the chocobo and cid; they probably are very useful for sidecontent but if he didn't do much of it he couldn't know either.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Been lurking and reading about this mostly. Very interesting reaction from the fanbase.

As a fan who wants the game to succeed, yet will wholeheartedly admit if there's a problem with the game, people sure are taking this to the extreme.

Case in point: previewer liked the game amid some criticism. Seems pretty normal to me TBH.

Problem is people are letting their imaginations run wild and drawing "definitive" conclusions based on a preview that most likely had cut content as indicated by the tweets above.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Been lurking and reading about this mostly. Very interesting reaction from the fanbase.

As a fan who wants the game to succeed, yet will wholeheartedly admit if there's a problem with the game, people sure are taking this to the extreme.

Case in point: previewer liked the game amid some criticism. Seems pretty normal to me TBH.

Problem is people are letting their imaginations run wild and drawing "definitive" conclusions based on a preview that most likely had cut content as indicated by the tweets above.
I actually have zero issue with his criticisms, I just like speculating. One of the biggest things that attract me to FF are its settings. Eos really interests me, which is why I can't wait to see more than what we have, but still question how much of it we get to explore. Just my 2 cents.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Criticisms are absolutely fine. After all, how can one improve?

However, people in general and especially reviewers, need to be mindful of how they phrase and word their criticisms if they want people to actually listen to them and take them seriously. People are very quick to call other's "trolls" in this day and age after all, and this is usually because people are negative for the sake of being negative with no backing.

Only way to stand out and be heard is to be genuine, objective, and calm when writing anything, criticism included.

It's not what you say, but how you say it.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Simon's one of the best in the industry and I 100% trust what he's written, for the record. He is legitimately one of the best writers in the biz.
I'm a bit new to following game development and launch so didn't know about him and Edge magazine.

I have to say though I have read the article and he has gotten quite a few things wrong which is concerning.

The game being available on PC, Cindy being CID's daughter not granddaughter, and something about not knowing how many chapters he's played for sure despite investing 40 hours of his life into the game.

40 hours is a very long time. Not knowing these things seems a bit strange tbh.

There was something about him viewing the games ending, but then saying on Twitter he didn't play the final build and acknowledging some parts may be missing...

Not to be mean or anything but... this is quite troubling and a tad unprofessional.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Not bashing. Just trying to make sense of the situation since everyone is saying different things.

What with SE saying they didn't give him the full build but Simon is saying he played up until the final boss... yet not being aware of how many chapters he's played...

Someone should ask if he saw the end credits rolling.

Confusing situation is confusing :(

Last edited:

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
yet not being aware of how many chapters he's played...
He said fourteen chapters, which means the whole game. But i honestly think that there is scenes were excluded in all these preview builds, even Jason Schreir from Kotaku mentioned something strange about Titan event.

But i don't know why Square doing this. Just let full game to reviewers.
Also i read somewhere that Simon played the game weeks ago at Square Enix office on dev. build, that was time when he wrote article for Eurogamer "Finishing Final Fantasy XV" (or something like that).

But we will never know until release or first reviews. Yet some of his statements worrysome and can't be fixed just by different builds sadly.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Yeah I agree with you that some of the things he said was worrisome.

I'm prettt easygoing when it comes to enjoying games so as long as the story is good and makes sense then I'm happy.

Everything else is secondary to me.

Very strange move by Square. I get they want to be transparent but I thought they would've known that letting one of the most critical publications play an extended build and write an article about it was incredibly risky.

I've already encountered a couple of "pre order cancelled" people. Stupid if you ask me letting yourself get swayed so easily.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
He said fourteen chapters, which means the whole game
https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonParkin/status/796127293001371648

I think why I found it strange was because of how unsure he was when he said 14 chapters, regardless of how many weeks it's been.

I mean 40 hours is an extremely long time and forgetting something you invested that much time in is weird.

Especially if it's a title that is one of the most highly anticipated games of the decade.

At the start of every chapter is a massive loading screen telling you what chapter you're at too.

*scratches head*

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
I think why I found it strange was because of how unsure he was when he said 14 chapters, regardless of how many weeks it's been.

I mean 40 hours is an extremely long time and forgetting something you invested that much time in is weird.
Not all people so much invested in this game like we're, you know. For him probably its just another game.
Its like let me play Call of Duty or Battlefield or any other shooter game and after three weeks since i finished it ask me how much chapters there was. :D