FFXV English voices TGS Trailer

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
I think the problem with noctis' voice is that the VA has a bit of a raspy voice causing his voice to get and sound deeper than it really is bc there are times in the trailer that noctis sounds great or rather decent and then there are times such as the ending .Only at the end of the trailer was the most problems. But yeah Jay preston is definitely Prompto's or noctis' voice actor. I strongly believe He's noctis.
Exactly, that's why i thought it was Quinton Flinn, because he tends to do that.

LittleKingCael

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jul 28, 2014
i can't understand what they talking about without subtitles, i mean i don't speak english but anyway i feel that the english cast is better than the japanese one, probably it could be because i don't feel what they talking about i am just hearing them like you guys hear the japanese one. Anyway this going to be better if they show us their face expressions while they speak.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
I'm confused. Did they voiceover the trailer? Or is it a voiceover from in-game?
It's probably only the trailer.

btw.
If they don't include a dual audio option in the final game I just might pre order the asia-version cause it normally has jap dub with eng subs. But I'm positive that they'll include the japanese voices anyway. Maybe just like they did with Lightning Returns .

Last edited:

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
What a surprise! It appears that the majority on this site just isn't taking a liking to these voices, but searched Youtube, Gematsu, Siliconera, etc while there are some negative feedback there many supporters for the English cast, far more than at Nova Crystallis anyway. I'm glad I like to check around, I seriously thought for a moment I was a rare race on big ol' planet earth to love Noctis deep English voice, but I found others who like this and gives the dub a thumbs up!

The more I watch the trailer the more I think people are exaggerating, the dub isn't bad at all tbh, or at least imo.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
What a surprise! It appears that the majority on this site just isn't taking a liking to these voices, but searched Youtube, Gematsu, Siliconera, etc while there are some negative feedback there many supporters for the English cast, far more than at Nova Crystallis anyway. I'm glad I like to check around, I seriously thought for a moment I was a rare race on big ol' planet earth to love Noctis deep English voice, but I found others who like this and gives the dub a thumbs up!

The more I watch the trailer the more I think people are exaggerating, the dub isn't bad at all tbh, or at least imo.
I find the trailer grows on you. But it's also obvious these voices were just thrown onto the trailer so it'll be a lot better in the final product.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Japan is full of voice actors that are well known, it is a much bigger industry than it is in America and other English regions. Japan is known for their voice acting more than they are with on-screen acting when it comes to this industry of games and anime.

If you look into the voice actors of FFXV, you will see they have a long history of having star roles in various anime over the years. This is why they are cast. Gladio's voice actor, Miyake Kenta is well known for having his signature deep voice with strong characters just like Gladio himself.

Japanese voice acting definitely comes at a higher standard than English voice acting. The entertainment industry with anime is huge, and with that, comes a slew of well known voice actors that are known to fit the type of characters we see in Final Fantasy XV. English voice acting simply doesn't have this, and so casting people for these roles isn't as easy as it is in Japan.

That being said, the English voices here were definitely done for THIS trailer only, so we can expect that the lines will be delivered much better in the future. Anyone who enjoys the English in this trailer of the Japanese is kidding themselves, the deliverance is just poor in almost most of the lines.

There were a few lines that I liked though, but comparing them to the Japanese voice acting they fall short. Looking forward to seeing a trailer done with English audio that isn't rushed. I've said before that I would play through in English at least once to experience it, but only if the voice acting is good. The Japanese voice acting will be much better no matter what in my book even if the English one improves, simply because I think it fits the game more.

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
I need to see another trailer, or demo, that shows lip sinc, timing, and proper register control in the appropriate events. That way i can give a better critique on the voice acting. There are countless amazing English voice actors, but as i've noticed, Japan tends to cast the wrong tier of people for both their Anime and Game Dubs, which gives dubs a bad name. Every nationality of voice actors put in a ton of dedication to their profession, with different means of gaining their skills. Japan has voice acting schools, where as English voice actors, can learn from various sources. It's a matter of the VA director choosing the right people.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Japan is full of voice actors that are well known, it is a much bigger industry than it is in America and other English regions. Japan is known for their voice acting more than they are with on-screen acting when it comes to this industry of games and anime.

If you look into the voice actors of FFXV, you will see they have a long history of having star roles in various anime over the years. This is why they are cast. Gladio's voice actor, Miyake Kenta is well known for having his signature deep voice with strong characters just like Gladio himself.

Japanese voice acting definitely comes at a higher standard than English voice acting. The entertainment industry with anime is huge, and with that, comes a slew of well known voice actors that are known to fit the type of characters we see in Final Fantasy XV. English voice acting simply doesn't have this, and so casting people for these roles isn't as easy as it is in Japan.
That's the point! A voice actor in Japan is like a pop star in the west. It's a real honour for the actors to dub a famous character and I think you can hear that in many anime or japanese productions in general. They're emotionally attached to their character while it's in the west mostly just 'another job that hast to be done'. It's a totally different mentality. The characters are tailormade for the japanese voices and that's why you won't ever find english speaking actors that will nail the tone as good as them.

On the other hand games like GTA won't work with japanese voices because it's the same thing just the other way round. The actors are handpicked for those characters and they do more than 'just' dubbing. They're acting and interacting with each other in the recording process so that it's sounding natural in the end. You can't have this kind of authenticity in the normal dubbing process.

For those who can't stand japanese voice acting in general I really hope they know what they're doing with the english voice cast for XV.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, it's obvious that the voices will likely be better in the final game, since this was most likely arranged for this trailer (which was already a bit awkard itself, even if I really like it).

Original version is almost always the best (especially if you understand the language). And yep, even if I'm not the biggest fan of Japanese voice acting (despite loving manga and Japaneses videogames, sometimes I can't stand the way some of them talk), it's undoubtedly a work of passion and the delivery is almost always great. I also think that (what we've seen of) XV's JP voice acting is top notch and man, it's been many years listening to those voices (especially Noctis), so it's extra weird.

And well, Prompto's voice is annoying, but the original one is also annoying so yay xD. Gladio's is sometimes cool and sometimes dull. Ignis... the accent thing has already been discussed, so I'll just say that it's lazy having these incongruences just because and that the "bath" part is hilarious. And I like Noctis' tone, but sometimes sounds too weird, especially during the part they talk about Luna. I like the ending part, though.

So, overall, leagues behind the original voices, but not that terrible if we consider that this have not been integrated into the game yet. Still, I think it's hard to surpass XIII's levels of awkardnesses and dull delivery. I hope.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Dang you all are still being overly critical. How can one truly say one is better than the other. Two different languages. Two different standards. Not fair to really compare one to the other. Especially since the is the first English trailer, people already seem to be forgetting this.
I think everyone here has already pointed out that they realize that this was a dubbing done for the trailer only, they are simply giving their first impressions on what they've heard and hoping for better voice direction in the future.

How is that being overly critical?

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Some of the reactions have been... extreme. It should be quite apparent that this is a WIP. The early trailers for XIII had awkward dialogue and the final product came out near flawless. Plus, lines delivered out of context usually sound off-beat. Considering XII and XIII had solid English voice acting I'm confident this game will continue the trend. People should be excited as not even a few months ago this game's fate was unknown. Now we have a trailer in English which almost feels surreal.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Some of the reactions have been... extreme. It should be quite apparent that this is a WIP. The early trailers for XIII had awkward dialogue and the final product came out near flawless. Plus, lines delivered out of context usually sound off-beat. Considering XII and XIII had solid English voice acting I'm confident this game will continue the trend. People should be excited as not even a few months ago this game's fate was unknown. Now we have a trailer in English which almost feels surreal.
Yes thats right, time ago getting a trailer was wishful think, getting and english trailer is like the biggest twist ever !!

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
That being said, the English voices here were definitely done for THIS trailer only, so we can expect that the lines will be delivered much better in the future. Anyone who enjoys the English in this trailer of the Japanese is kidding themselves, the deliverance is just poor in almost most of the lines.
Or they just apprentice good voices???

I'll say that some lines were rushed, so they did sound emotionless at times. But people also have to realize each language is differently spoke, the same person can sound completely different when they speak Japanese and then English. You might heard songs that have two versions in languages sung by the same artist but sound different. Sometimes there's no way to get the same "emotion" the characters speak in the Japanese version when conveyed to English.

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
This really was a great surprise. I was wondering at what point we would finally get an english trailer. Especially since SE intend on releasing a demo in the west alongside Type-0. It makes sense to finally start showing the game off in english.

Wow though! Having known these characters for 8 years, talking in Japanese for 3+ years. It really is strange to finally hear them all speak in english. It makes the prospect of playing XV more tangible than it's ever been. I wasn't necessarily blown away by the dub, but I do not hate it either. It's just a bit odd because I'm so used to hearing them in Japanese.

-Not sure why they gave Ignis a British/english accent and not the others, since they all grew up in Lucius.
(The intellectual= posh British accent is such an uninspired trope). It's a bit jarring, but I'll get over it.

-Gladiolus is on point, gruff with an endearing causal dialect, he really comes off as the big bro in the dub. "Sit this one out, champ", I'm diggin that.

-Prompto was a pleasant surprise, figured they'd try to match the Japanese dub's whiny tone, but this delivery was better than I expected. Sounds like a genuine extrovert, and less like a teenager (although a bit pitchy). He's supposed to be this loud mouth, womanizer, so it fits.

-Noctis, sounds spot on for me. Not sure why some are saying his voice is "too deep". I'm happy they didn't go for the prepubescent voice-cracking flavor (like Vaan.) Unlike past FF casts, XV seems to be light on teenage presence, in favor of young adults, middle aged, and seniors. I'm assuming the crew are all in they're mid-to-late 20's, and that pleases me.

In time I'm sure I'll adjust, and really I'm much more concerned with the script translations and voice direction than anything else.
I hope they don't change too much from the original Japanese, and end up sacrificing its original tone trying to adapt to cultural norms.
One example: Ignis came off way too formal compared to the others. I understand he's Noctis' personal adviser, but they've known each other since childhood so it seemed unnatural. And that's really the translation's fault.

Aside from that, I'm not too worried. I hope they succeed in striking a balance between the mature tone and the casual dialogue.

Last edited:

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013
I dont like the english voice over especially noctis and ignis.. still think ff12 was the number1 of voice acting in ff series and ff13 is number2.

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
I came from a few other sites, looking at people's first impressions. Everyone is mostly complaining about Ignis(for obvious and justified reasons) and Noctis, because he has a masculine voice, which people weren't expecting.(which is not a valid or fair way to judge)

But like some of you have said, yes, people have been extremely critical with this. The dub is for this trailer, and frankly, it was a rushed WIP. So we'll have to see how this turns out later, before we can judge properly. Having a certain Tone, is not the primary goal of voice acting, especially since the people of every nationality speak naturally and daily with different tones, in their language, so of course their tone is going to be different.