FFXV English voices TGS Trailer

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
everyone sounds find except Ingsis. whoever is voicing him is trying too hard. I know Ingsis is supposed to be smart but come on why are you generalizing his voice as wooden and overforced British. Grimwar Weis from nier would be a better fit
They are trying to make him the Highly sophisticated and intellectual British gent stereotype, and frankly that slightly bugs me. Because we all know you British fellows are not all like that, and Ignis just sounds ridiculous IMO. Everyone else, im cool with. Ignis is going to take me to that place i went to when i heard Vanille's voice in XIII.

My god, her voice nearly drove me insane.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Personally, some people hate the English VA's because this game has been in the minds of people since 2006, and everyone has a certain expectation on what the voices sound like ( for 8 years! lol). Now that it's here, the VA isnt holding up to each individual expectation, therefore it quote on quote "Sucks".
That's a very worrisome theory. People are being harsh about these voices. It's worrisome because they also have not only exceptions for voices but for this whole game for 8 years now, still with hopes of things they were expecting ever since it's announcement and old interviews with Nomura. After 8 years of hype and counting, what if it doesn't meant all their expectations... :(

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
That's a very worrisome theory. People are being harsh about these voices. It's worrisome because they also have not only exceptions for voices but for this whole game for 8 years now, still with hopes of things they were expecting ever since it's announcement and old interviews with Nomura. After 8 years of hype and counting, what if it doesn't meant all their expectations... :(
Hype can be a great savior, or a total destruction. With this game being 8 years of being in people's minds ( not dev time because I am sure the production was slowed for several reasons), it's only natural to have expectations. Thankfully I am open minded and look at things as they come to me ( pretending like what I saw is brand new, without knowing FFXV even exists so to speak). It's not that bad, it is also a demo. The VA could have been rushed to meet the demo deadline. The real deal will be a lot of "Nope do it again" until they perfected the VA.

At least we know a rough idea how the English VA will sound like.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
From my experience 90% of japanese games and animes tend to have god-awful english VA, but FF games are a notable exception. In case of FFXV I'm mostly ok with the voices chosen, but it's the acting part that worries me a bit. They sound kinda stiff and bland to me. Hopefully it was just a quick voice over for the trailer and they will put more work into it for the final version.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
From my experience 90% of japanese games and animes tend to have god-awful english VA, but FF games are a notable exception. In case of FFXV I'm mostly ok with the voices chosen, but it's the acting part that worries me a bit. They sound kinda stiff and bland to me. Hopefully it was just a quick voice over for the trailer and they will put more work into it for the final version.
yeah that's exactly how I feel. They sound like they didn't know what was going on and what type of characters they're dubbing. A huge lack of personality and emotions at the moment. But hopefully this is just a early work in progress and they'll learn to nail the tone of their characters when it comes to the full release.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
yeah that's exactly how I feel. They sound like they didn't know what was going on and what type of characters they're dubbing. A huge lack of personality and emotions at the moment. But hopefully this is just a early work in progress and they'll learn to nail the tone of their characters when it comes to the full release.
Maybe once the VA know about what the Characters are suppose to do in the plot

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
You people are to harsh on these voice actors, considering this is the first time hearing them. I also don't get how most of you can say the originals are better? Unless you speak Japanese then you really wouldn't know if it is good. I mean everyone has their opinions by seriously same the harshness until you learn more. At this point it's not fair to say one is better then the other.

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
Well, I wasn't expecting Batman to be our lead.

Oh God, that pronunciation of bath. So forced. So unnatural. They should have got someone like Gideon Emery for Ignis. The guy would have been perfect.
I wouldn't go as far as to say he sounds like batman. His voice isn't THAT deep. :/

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Unless you speak Japanese then you really wouldn't know if it is good.
Sorry if I'm a bit blunt, but I think it's a ridiculous notion that you can't judge a dub if you don't know the language. Okay, you don't understand WHAT the voice actors are saying, but that's what subtitles are for. And you can clearly hear HOW they are saying it. You can judge how they fit their characters, how they convey emotions and atmosphere, etc.

I agree that we should wait until we hear more of it before judging, but we can compare it with the original even if we don't speak japanese.

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
Sorry if I'm a bit blunt, but I think it's a ridiculous notion that you can't judge a dub if you don't know the language. Okay, you don't understand WHAT the voice actors are saying, but that's what subtitles are for. And you can clearly hear HOW they are saying it. You can judge how they fit their characters, how they convey emotions and atmosphere, etc.

I agree that we should wait until we hear more of it before judging, but we can compare it with the original even if we don't speak japanese.
Concerning your point, i see what you are saying. But i just dont get the whole argument that the original voice actors are better. You have a point that you can read the subs, assuming they are good subs, and yeah you can see the basic emotions in the original piece. But when you put the English and Japanese versions of these two specific trailers together there really is no difference. They both leave the same impact and neither to me is bad.

Something else confuses me.

These are all young men who have grown up together in the same region, and yet one of them randomly has a British accent (or at least a non-Brit's idea of what a British accent is, i.e. as posh as possible). Look, directors. I am honoured and a humbled as a Briton that the stereotype of smarter people having to be British persists, but perhaps in this instance, everyone should have a consistent accent, no?

Jun 7, 2014
Poland

These are all young men who have grown up together in the same region, and yet one of them randomly has a British accent (or at least a non-Brit's idea of what a British accent is, i.e. as posh as possible). Look, directors. I am honoured and a humbled as a Briton that the stereotype of smarter people having to be British persists, but perhaps in this instance, everyone should have a consistent accent, no?
LOL, it sounds like they hired a Brit and then told him his accent isn't British enough

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
So now Noctis is madafacking Batman.
Fun Fact: i saw some comments on internet(after this trailer was uploaded) saying that FFXV world is related to FFVII, saying that Niflheim=Nibelheim or the Astral Sharp being Jenova's Meteor.

Niflheim is Niflheim and has been since Nomura started the game. Nibelheim is a made up word for Niflheim. Both have their roots in the Norse word Niflheim. Niflheim is a garrison state, which implies it relies on militarily not just for power but culture as well. notably Japan during the second Sino war thrived off areal combat, while Niflheim relies heavily on air ships. Japan wanted imperialism to take over China for resources, while Niflheim wants to rob Lucis of its crystal, FF15's most valuable resource. Nibelheim was home to Cloud, while Niflheim is the country of FF15's bad guys.

difference. always think fantasy based on reality

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2014
Miami
So far, the casting sounds decent to me. I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't stick a male teenybopper voice to Noctis, whose my fave so far. Gladio sounded fine, if not a bit disinterested, considering his character archetype. Prompto sounded fun & genuine, true to his personality. Ignis...o_O.

But the somewhat disjointed performance I kept hearing is evidence enough that this particular performance was rushed; anything to get those Type-0 pre-orders up, I'm guessing.

They sound like they didn't know what was going on and what type of characters they're dubbing. A huge lack of personality and emotions at the moment.
Makes sense, considering most of the time, these VAs are shoved in a room, given a set of lines, & are told how to deliver said lines by a director, with VERY little context or physical imagery to aspire from. A practice that, in my amateur opinion, really stymies the VA's potential.

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014

this is the problem with JRPGs. When English vices happen, they generalize them by character archtype. Ignis is extremely smart and has tight connections to a royal family, so they gave him received pronunciation. Then the voice actor is flanderzing that or should I say over blowing. it would be fine if not so damn forced. though the more I listen the more I start to get use to it

Prince Naphtali

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 23, 2013
I think the problem with noctis' voice is that the VA has a bit of a raspy voice causing his voice to get and sound deeper than it really is bc there are times in the trailer that noctis sounds great or rather decent and then there are times such as the ending .Only at the end of the trailer was the most problems. But yeah Jay preston is definitely Prompto's or noctis' voice actor. I strongly believe He's noctis.