Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Event Expectaions/Wishes

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Final Fantasy XV Remastered PC Editon announcement.

This is how the developer of it goes: give all the assets and code to CD ProjektRed and tell them "fix this mess but keep it jrpg like ya hear?"

And in 5-6 months time they work their magic and hey presto you go the optimal form of XV for PC exclusively made for high end systems :D
Not even Noctisx21 or llazy77 is this obtuse.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Final Fantasy XV Remastered PC Editon announcement.

This is how the developer of it goes: give all the assets and code to CD ProjektRed and tell them "fix this mess but keep it jrpg like ya hear?"

And in 5-6 months time they work their magic and hey presto you go the optimal form of XV for PC exclusively made for high end systems :D
Will it include collecting cards with naked Cindy?

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
So this is tomorrow, right? I was pretty excited about this when announced and still am, but less so, as I'm not too sure of FF VII-R being there, don't know why. He said that he's not attending the event, so that might be it (I know he didn't attend E3 2013 conference -he was at E3 itself, though-).

What are you guys expecting?

The very least I'm expecting is some nice collections, merchandising, FF XII HD info (release date, I guess?), some spin-off (maybe), XIV things and that's about it. Then I guess they could throw some talk about XV (sales, reception, DLC, patches...) and, please, some FF VII-R footage.

A 30th anniversary is a perfect place for a new mainline announcement, but considering how close XV's release was, lol no. That's gonna have to wait until E3 2018 at the very least, I think.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
The very least I'm expecting is some nice collections, merchandising, FF XII HD info (release date, I guess?), some spin-off (maybe), XIV things and that's about it. Then I guess they could throw some talk about XV (sales, reception, DLC, patches...) and, please, some FF VII-R footage.
XII HD and XV DLCs are my personal bets as to the "big" announcements (outisde of a possible FF compilation collector edition).

edit: Dissidia for PS4, make it happen Square!!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
A 30th anniversary is a perfect place for a new mainline announcement, but considering how close XV's release was, lol no. That's gonna have to wait until E3 2018 at the very least, I think.
I don't understand why so many people believe we won't see anything about FFXVI for some very long time. Sure, the anniversary event is a bit too early, but I can bet FFXVI will be shown at this year's E3. SE usually show the next FF very soon after the release of the last one. And they love to announce games early regardless of whether they're ready or not.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I don't understand why so many people believe we won't see anything about FFXVI for some very long time. Sure, the anniversary event is a bit too early, but I can bet FFXVI will be shown at this year's E3. SE usually show the next FF very soon after the release of the last one. And they love to announce games early regardless of whether they're ready or not.
I was actually going to say that I could expect a tease this year (but around Holidays), but I didn't want to be too optimistic.

It's possible indeed, but one thinks they would want to only announce the game when it's close to releasing, so as to avoid XV's mess. Although, well, look at FF VII-R... (I expect it around mid next year if we're lucky). I was going to mention Marvel's thing with S-E too, but that's just your typical recruiting ad.

If nothing weird happened and S-E was already functioning as a serious company a while back, they should have been able to structure their divisions to start working on XVI a while ago, at the very least at a conceptual stage (XIV developers?). So I could see them releasing XVI in, say, 2019, regardless of when they announce it. Three years between mainline titles is incredibly good, considering that's usual time it takes for a healthy franchise to release sequels and having in mind the time that passed between XIII and XV (or XIV).
XII HD and XV DLCs are my personal bets as to the "big" announcements (outisde of a possible FF compilation collector edition).

edit: Dissidia for PS4, make it happen Square!!
Yeah, I actually remembered Dissidia long after posting. I know there are still quite a few characters that need to be added, but they could always release it this year for PS4/PC with a good enough roster and then add characters for free.

I'm expecting to see some footage of XV DLCs (Gladio's mainly), as well as a general roadmap.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
We can hope.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
So when is this happening? Tonight?
It's actually the 31th, so in two days (I thought this was tomorrow). The Japanese page says 16:30, so I imagine it's around that in Japan Time.

No stream announced yet (I'm guessing they will have one, but they never said anything of the sort afaik).

To be honest, they've been awfully quiet in regards to this event. I hope that doesn't mean that it's going to be light in content (well, content I care about. I love XII and will probably buy the remaster, but I can't feel excited about its release date or about spin-offs or already released titles' expansions/DLCs/ports).

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
To be honest, they've been awfully quiet in regards to this event. I hope that doesn't mean that it's going to be light in content (well, content I care about. I love XII and will probably buy the remaster, but I can't feel excited about its release date or about spin-offs or already released titles' expansions/DLCs/ports).
When they're quiet, I seem to remember that being a sign of something big, or at least unexpected. Remember the run up to that 2012 event where they detailed Lightning Returns. Plenty of stuff on the event in a way, and that teaser site, but otherwise not much... Then bam!

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
If they do they will have not learned any lessons from the Versus XIII fiasco. Announcing games too early harms more than it helps.

h00aoj

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 26, 2016
My biggest wish: Show some love for Final Fantasy 8. Give it a HD/Remastered re-release with enhanced graphics and sound.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
When they're quiet, I seem to remember that being a sign of something big, or at least unexpected. Remember the run up to that 2012 event where they detailed Lightning Returns. Plenty of stuff on the event in a way, and that teaser site, but otherwise not much... Then bam!
Hopefully it's that (I honestly don't remember nothing of the LR event beyond "muh roses").

My expectations are incredibly low right now, though. They haven't even announced a livestream (if there's going to be any at all!).

EDIT: it seems that there might not be a stream at all (from the Neogaf thread). Dissapointing if true, and although I'm speaking prematurely, it'd be weird for you to announce a 30th anniversary event more than a month before just to have it be very low-key, especially choosing that date.

I'm guessing that what it's going to do is set the mood for a year of celebrations, let's see.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Hopefully it's that (I honestly don't remember nothing of the LR event beyond "muh roses").
I was actually quite hyped by the concepts they showed (a pleasant change from the bombast of many a Western announcement event), and then they released the trailer footage they showed when the cameras turned off later that year, and I realised that the event as a whole must have been quite something to sit through. Also, I enjoyed their frankness about things, what they were aiming to do. It's one of my strongest gaming memories.
EDIT: it seems that there might not be a stream at all (from the Neogaf thread). Dissapointing if true, and although I'm speaking prematurely, it'd be weird for you to announce a 30th anniversary event more than a month before just to have it be very low-key, especially choosing that date.
It's highly formal and old-fashioned, I'll grant. But I'd hold off the doom and gloom and not just go with a NeoGaf post. Atlus did something vaguely similar for some of the promotion for Persona 5. Of course, that had a livestream, but SQEX doesn't always have one.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I was actually quite hyped by the concepts they showed (a pleasant change from the bombast of many a Western announcement event), and then they released the trailer footage they showed when the cameras turned off later that year, and I realised that the event as a whole must have been quite something to sit through. Also, I enjoyed their frankness about things, what they were aiming to do. It's one of my strongest gaming memories.

It's highly formal and old-fashioned, I'll grant. But I'd hold off the doom and gloom and not just go with a NeoGaf post. Atlus did something vaguely similar for some of the promotion for Persona 5. Of course, that had a livestream, but SQEX doesn't always have one.
I'll have to watch the event again, because I can't remember shit. I probably didn't even watch it tbh! :hahaha:

And yeah, I know! Let's see what this is, but again, considering how un-international this all is and how low-key they've been about it (beyond announcing the date a month ago, I don't remember them promoting this or hinting at stuff), I would be (very pleasantly) surprised if we got some good substantial things. Although I'm being unfair, as I wouldn't consider FF XII HD's release date to be big (love the game and will probably buy it again, but I can't get excited about something that's old, especially if I already have the original).

If they do have something that's good enough, the bigger the surprise is going to be, too.
What time is this event again?
It seems to be around 17:00 JP time.