Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Event Expectaions/Wishes

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Out of all the announcements these were my highlights:

FFXV DLCs release date/window.

FFXIITZA release date

Final Fantasy Lost Stranger manga. My favourite of the three. When was the last FF manga we have had that it's mot an adaptation nor complement material for already existing game? Looking forward to it, very likely to be monthly manga that will be published in one Square-Enix magazines.
Key visual:

People were expecting XVI at this event. It's more their fault than Square-Enix's tbh.
I wasn't really expecting it. I considered it to be a smart idea for them to at least say that it'll happen within the next 2-3 years.

Final Fantasy Lost Stranger manga.
You know what would be cool? If this was the lead-in to another Final Fantasy game.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
lmao pants of the girl on the top right
Erm.... yes. Ahem, whew, erm... Miss, I'd like you to hold my Sacred Cryst- I mean, no wait, I would like you to... Really, what can you say to something like that? Well, it's a Japanese manga, so I guess it's alright.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
The key art looks cool, but I don't really like how prominent one-winged Sephirot has become since the Compilation (wasn't his black wing in the original different? More demon-like?). And yes, Cloud's looking fresh.

FF XII has a good release date, I think. Summer's good.

As for the rest... well, what was expected of a Japanese-only event for a limited number of fans that didn't get more consideration than announcing the date back in December. I still think it was a bit weird, but this in an Opening Ceremony, so I don't know.
What a terrible event. Who thought this was a good idea?
The fans that attended it and were not hyping something that was incredibly low-key in advertising by S-E themselves, if I had to guess.

They could have at least said what kind of event this was back in December when they announced it, I give you that, especially given the date chosen (I was hyped about this until a bit less than a week ago, when it was clear nothing big would come out of this).

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
I guess I can understand some disappointment in this event, but blaming SE for one's overblown expectations is laughable. This was a fan event for a small number of SE Members. There wasn't advertising, no social media hype -- and there certainly weren't any promises made.

As it were, we got release dates for the FFXII remaster and two FFXV DLC episodes.

They have the entire year to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the series. How about we exhibit a little patience?

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah. I mean, I'm quite harsh when it comes to everything S-E and how out of touch they can be, but you can't possibly blame them in this case, considering it's a closed event, only in Japanese, without any kind of publicity and with the words "Opening Ceremony".

I mean, I would have liked them saying from the beginning, in December, what kind of event this would be (I was, back then, pretty certain that, given the date, we would get some FF VII-R trailer). But after Nomura's comments a few weeks ago and the lack of social media advertising (I don't recall more mentions than the ones announcing the date a month ago) if you're dissapointed, you have only yourself to blame.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
They explained at the time that his looking thin was due to the lighting, not a design change.
I must have missed that interview. I'd like to read it if you have it still? Honestly I hope we can expect Cloud to be muscular in the remake when new footage appears, it coincide with most of his official appearances and even his latest Play Arts Kai figurine for the remake he is more macho.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I hope they tone down the Compilation imagery, then.
I don't know, the post compilation Sephiroth is the more mainstrean, marketable and staple incarnation of the character similarly how post 90 Batman is/are the mos popular incarnation of the character rather than say Adan West 60's Batman.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I must have missed that interview. I'd like to read it if you have it still? Honestly I hope we can expect Cloud to be muscular in the remake when new footage appears, it coincide with most of his official appearances and even his latest Play Arts Kai figurine for the remake he is more macho.
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/...al-fantasy-vii-remake-is-a-multi-part-series/
QUOTE:
"Cloud’s appearance has to partially to do with the lighting and his pale skin. Nojima had said Cloud’s sickly appearance is brilliant."

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I like the initial Cloud being more malnourished given his recent history there, but I prefer the buffer version, no doubt. I think his Remake model is on point, particularly in this scene:

I mean, that hair will always be weird in a more realistic aesthetic, but it works alright, I think. Would like it to be blonder, although that might be the lighting.
I don't know, the post compilation Sephiroth is the more mainstrean, marketable and staple incarnation of the character similarly how post 90 Batman is/are the mos popular incarnation of the character rather than say Adan West 60's Batman.
I still feel that the whole "one black wing" thing definitely went overblown in the Compilation (and KH). I'd like for this imagery to be toned down (not dissapear, I guess) to make it more impactful. I mean, it would make these different Sephirot phases have more weight.

I mean, fuck Crisis Core: fucking Genesis (and Angeal). I swear. Hopefully they're kept to a minimum. And, hopefully, Zach's death resembles his original one more than the one in CC (it was a cool scene and fits the game side of CC, but I still hate the change).

Actually, if you look at Remake Sephirot's shoulderpad, it's a different one than the ones he's usually had (I don't think they ever changed a lot).

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I wasn't really expecting it. I considered it to be a smart idea for them to at least say that it'll happen within the next 2-3 years.
I think it would have anything, but smart. Ultimately, SQEX made the right decision to hold off. XVI should be announced no earlier than 2018. They have enough games on their plate as it is. Adding another major release would be near suicidal and repeating the mistakes from the XIII era.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I think it would have anything, but smart. Ultimately, SQEX made the right decision to hold off. XVI should be announced no earlier than 2018. They have enough games on their plate as it is. Adding another major release would be near suicidal and repeating the mistakes from the XIII era.
They didn't make any decision to hold off. This event wasn't intended for this kind of announcement from the beginning. We will se our FFXVI at E3 this year, I can bet.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
I like the initial Cloud being more malnourished given his recent history there, but I prefer the buffer version, no doubt. I think his Remake model is on point, particularly in this scene:

I mean, that hair will always be weird in a more realistic aesthetic, but it works alright, I think. Would like it to be blonder, although that might be the lighting.

I still feel that the whole "one black wing" thing definitely went overblown in the Compilation (and KH). I'd like for this imagery to be toned down (not dissapear, I guess) to make it more impactful. I mean, it would make these different Sephirot phases have more weight.

I mean, fuck Crisis Core: fucking Genesis (and Angeal). I swear. Hopefully they're kept to a minimum. And, hopefully, Zach's death resembles his original one more than the one in CC (it was a cool scene and fits the game side of CC, but I still hate the change).

Actually, if you look at Remake Sephirot's shoulderpad, it's a different one than the ones he's usually had (I don't think they ever changed a lot).
I prefer his death in Crisis Core and Advent Children, he's a superhuman bullet timer, it's going to take an Army to wear him down. Also Nomura is directing so it's going to be like Crisis Core.

I also like Genesis he's freaking badass, but I like Angeal more though.