Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

Final Fantasy Replay and Discussion: FFIX

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
FfixLogo.jpg

Okay... So here we are again! I hope that all of us are ready for a fresh start!

This new thread is open for all Mognet Central members. Everyone can play the game with complete freedom. No checkpoints, no rushing and of course no need to wait for others. Everyone is free to comment whenever they want, even if they don't play the game, just because they wish to participate or start a conversation about the old time classic Final Fantasy IX!

I suggest anyone who was recently in the original thread group (@Nikolasvanitas , @buddhafied , @Azuardo , @Zack , @Phoenix) to keep posting about their progression, with or without images, if they wish to continue playing the game. It was very nice trading ideas and finding new ways to play the game even after 13 years, thus far.
I remind to everyone that we are in Burmecia, just before the end of Disc One...

Have fun and enjoy our Final Fantasy IX trip...
Konachan.com.jpg

Last edited:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Cool, well I would like official threads for the likes of FF7, 8 and 9 at some point, but for now, I agree that we should continue this playthrough and use this as a place to discuss the game.

Personally, I'm pretty much done with my current playthrough already, heh. Beat the game, defeated Quale, Hades and Ozma and done all side-quests I wanted to do except for cards.

Was one of my fullest and best runs in all the years I've been playing it, though - due largely in part from me really taking in the story and fully understanding exactly what was happening this time around. Even though I thought I knew the ins and outs of the plot, there was actually a lot that I didn't fully take in before. Ultimately, it's easily one of the strongest entries in the series with a love plot that never felt forced, unlike FF8. I'll probably share some more pics at some point, when you guys have made some more progress.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Indeed it is one of the strongest entries in the series! The drama that surfaces at the end of disc one is remarkable!
Do you remember stealing all items from Beatrix in this first fight? I've never achieved stealing everything, ever!

EDIT: Welcome again! :)

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Indeed it is one of the strongest entries in the series! The drama that surfaces at the end of disc one is remarkable!
Do you remember stealing all items from Beatrix in this first fight? I've never achieved stealing everything, ever!

EDIT: Welcome again! :)
If I remember right from the run I just finished, I don't think I finished stealing everything in probably all of the fights I had with her, as she ended up ending the fights before I could do so. Think I usually managed to get two of them, but was never a massive deal to me since they weren't missable items.

I did make sure to steal all of the items from certain bosses if I was very safe in the fights, though. Even made sure to steal all items from the Chaos Guardians, Quale, Hades and Ozma.

Last edited:

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Did you make the Ark? I did it twice only, I prefer giving the Pumice Pieces to my team to absorb Vivi's Doomsday! A very nice heal for the team and damage to the enemy, 2 in 1!
What about you party members? Did you level up only 4 characters?

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
I learnt it but didn't forge the Pumice from the pieces - I used the full Pumice I got from defeating Ozma to learn Ark instead. So it was almost the last thing I did in the game, and the last ability I needed to learn for my main party.

I hadn't seen that eidolon in so long that when I used Ark for kicks to check it out, I had to laugh at just how ridiculous the animation was, which went on for ages haha. I was expecting it to be one of those multiple 9999 attacks, like Eden from FF8, or KOTR from FF7, but it just did a single 9999 attack (not even sure it even was 9999 - more like 9800-something).

Party members, yeah, I stuck with Zidane, Dagger, Steiner and Freya in the end, which was very dominant. Took them to LV99 with the right equipment to maximise stat gains (not sure if people know about that), and then smashed the superbosses.

One thing to point out is that Haste is worthless due to the way the battle system works, and its only real benefit comes in combining Auto-Haste with Auto-Regen - at which point the game becomes ridiculously easy. But those ability points are far better off spent on something else instead of Auto-Haste because there's no real benefit to speeding up the ATB bar in this game. Likewise, no point to casting Haste in battle. I will try to explain better if people don't really know about it. Not until I had enough spare points to combine Auto-Haste & Regen did I bother, and only then it was for end-game and the superbosses, which help immensely.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
If this is going to be a bit more relaxed I might try to join in. :D
Oh please do join in! The more the merrier! It was so fun trading ideas thus far...

Party members, yeah, I stuck with Zidane, Dagger, Steiner and Freya in the end, which was very dominant. Took them to LV99 with the right equipment to maximise stat gains (not sure if people know about that), and then smashed the superbosses.
Please, elaborate on that... For those who don't know it's good to share such ideas. I don't think that a spoiler section is necessary since it's not a stroy related thing. Plus as we said, we are free to talk and play! :cool:

One thing to point out is that Haste is worthless due to the way the battle system works, and its only real benefit comes in combining Auto-Haste with Auto-Regen - at which point the game becomes ridiculously easy.
Believe me, the PAL version is really that slow! Auto-haste is a must in this case! I've played the NTSC version twice and I enjoyed it more! But I didn't have access to it this time...

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Please, elaborate on that... For those who don't know it's good to share such ideas. I don't think that a spoiler section is necessary since it's not a stroy related thing. Plus as we said, we are free to talk and play! :cool:
Well I'll try to keep it simple and if it needs further explanation like actual equipment set-ups then I'll help further or look for some guides I've used for more info.

But basically, there are equipments in the game that can permanently boost your stats higher than if you normally just levelled up - these are called stat-boosting equipment. If you take a look at your stats for your characters, you'll have 4 stats at the top - Speed, Strength, Magic and Spirit. These are what you need to focus on - forget about the ones below (i.e. Attack, Defense etc). Any equipment that increases your current Spd, Str, Mag or Spr (i.e. numbers that turn green) are stat-boosting equipment. With an equipment on that increases any one of these stats, at level up your character will gain an invisible fraction of a stat. Over the course of a few levels, these fractions add up to a whole stat point and get permanently added to your stats. By equipping stat-boosting equipment during level up, you will be able to achieve incredibly high stats.

For the record, Spirit will only max out at 50 and is the easiest to max, so once you've maxed it, you need to then replace the equipment you were using to boost it with something that will add to another stat instead of leaving it on.

The only way to achieve the actual highest max stats is by playing a LV1 game and waiting until you get to end-game to then go stat-boosting with the correct equipment. However, doing it from any point in time will still yield excellent stat gains ... Well, ideally you would want to start stat-boosting around the LV30s. By doing this, when it comes to the superbosses during end-game, you'll have an easier time.

And of course, if playing more casually through the story anyway, you should still make a concious effort to equip stat-boosting equipment during your game so that you at least do achieve some permanent stat gains that will help you become even stronger than normal through the story.

Believe me, the PAL version is really that slow! Auto-haste is a must in this case! I've played the NTSC version twice and I enjoyed it more! But I didn't have access to it this time...
Nope, I'm not referring to the actual game speed. Talking about the battle system itself. I played the US version and this still yields the same results because of the way the battle system works in FFIX.

I'm talking about what Haste's purpose actually is in an ATB-based RPG. FFIX's ATB system doesn't actually work like a normal ATB system does, i.e. like in FF7 and 8.

What you will find in FFIX is that no matter how fast your ATB bar rises, turns actually play out in ROUNDS. That is, even if all 4 of your party started with full ATB at battle start and then attacked, by the time the last character finishes his/her attack, the enemy will then go next. No matter what. Even if you are on Haste.

Think about how Haste works in FF7. You can Haste someone and he will have such an increase that he will be able to attack faster than the enemy - getting in multiple turns before they can make a move much of the time. Haste someone in FFIX and they will always only be able to attack once by the time the enemy gets its turn.

The enemy has an invisible ATB bar itself, which always increases during party members' attacks, so once the party has finished making moves, the enemy will get his go. The only way to delay the enemy's ATB bar is by setting the battle speed to Wait and then during your character's animation, open a window with another character (e.g. open the Magic window, or just click Attack and leave the cursor up), then cancel when the animation is over, and repeat with another character. It only serves to stop the enemy's ATB bar from rising during character animations, however, meaning it won't get its turn in right after one character has finished his animation, leaving you time to try and get someone else's in.

It's a little tough to explain, but basically, it means that turns instead play out in rounds - party goes, then enemy goes, then party goes, then enemy goes. No matter if you have Haste on, it won't change the rounds, and won't mean that a Haste-Zidane will get more than 1 move in before the enemy does.

So in that sense, yes, Haste is useless.

What Haste IS useful for is determining how quickly Regen happens on your characters. The Spirit stat also greatly determines this (which is one major reason for boosting Spirit, and is already the most important (and easiest) stat to boost), but this is where Auto-Haste makes its innings.

By equipping Auto-Haste and Auto-Regen, you are almost invincible. Essentially, you will recover any lost HP almost to max with these two abilities equipped during attack animations. However, if using Wait and opening windows to delay enemy ATB bars, this also stops Regen from happening, so not selecting anything during animations is key to recovering HP massively in this regard. During longer animations from enemies or perhaps using eidolons, for example, you'll likely just recover back to full HP every time, and really just stay very overpowered.

These tips allow you to trounce the superbosses, and indeed everything from Disc 3 onwards, since most characters will have been able to get Auto-Haste and Auto-Regen at that point.

But when it comes to actually using Auto-Haste on its own - no, it is worthless and those 9 or 10 ability points really need to go on other things. It will not increase the amount of turns you get, so its only major use is for Regen.

Last edited:
Sorry for not posting very often guys,but I try reading all commnents and checking out your screenshots to see how everyone is progressing.
Also I am not sure but if i remember correctly Spirit is the stat that determines the amount of healing in auto-regen.
Amazing tip about the Wait mode and healing with auto-regen during summon animations,thats something new for me,I may try it in this playthrough

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sorry for not posting very often guys,but I try reading all commnents and checking out your screenshots to see how everyone is progressing.
Also I am not sure but if i remember correctly Spirit is the stat that determines the amount of healing in auto-regen.
Amazing tip about the Wait mode and healing with auto-regen during summon animations,thats something new for me,I may try it in this playthrough
You're correct about Spirit affecting the rate of Regen. I had to recheck my post and wondered why on earth I put Speed initially, because I did already just do all this in my last playthrough lol. Made the edit.

To clarify: Spirit is pretty much the most important stat to raise - moreso than Str and Mag, and definitely moreso than Speed - because it affects so many different things. Again, due to the way in which the battle system works in FFIX (as mentioned), Speed is useless, just like Haste. What's even better is that Spirit is the easiest stat to boost, so once it reaches 50, you can concentrate on Str and Mag, depending on which character you're boosting. It's pretty obvious really - boost Str for characters like Zidane and Steiner, and boost Mag for characters like Dagger and Vivi. Some like Freya will benefit from both, but she's much more of a physcial player. Quina is a very different kettle of fish, and so Mag is probably the best to boost with it, though I don't expect people to use Quina to worry about it.

Last edited:

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
All I can say is that I'm really satisfied that we are back in this! Thank you so much for the tips Azuardo! There were some things that even after 27-28 playthroughs, I really didn't know! I'll definitely try them out once I have free time to continue playing!

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
I have a suggestion, if it's okay. Maybe replaying the PS1 Final Fantasies in reverse? Since you guys started with 9, next one could be 8, and then 7. I will be able to join for 8 whenever that happens. A bit excited since I have incentive to play through the entire game now.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
I have a suggestion, if it's okay. Maybe replaying the PS1 Final Fantasies in reverse? Since you guys started with 9, next one could be 8, and then 7. I will be able to join for 8 whenever that happens. A bit excited since I have incentive to play through the entire game now.
I proposed this idea, too, back when we started it, but a certain someone wasn't having any of it. But I would like to do that, yes :]

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
This makes me wish I had IX. And every game before it. I'd get them on PSN, but I'm too dirt poor to get it or any game before it and my priority right now is LR.

EDIT: This probably isn't the place, but is there one person in charge of this Replay thing, or would it be better to appoint someone to head each "era," so to speak?

Last edited:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
This makes me wish I had IX. And every game before it. I'd get them on PSN, but I'm too dirt poor to get it or any game before it and my priority right now is LR.

EDIT: This probably isn't the place, but is there one person in charge of this Replay thing, or would it be better to appoint someone to head each "era," so to speak?
No need for people to "take charge" really. Just play the games and talk about them. Making suggestions to agree upon or whatever is all good, but no need for people to really dictate what goes or not, imo. If we all just play the games and talk about them, you don't really need much else. Just use your common sense when it comes to spoilers.

Storm2356

Clan Centurio Member
No need for people to "take charge" really. Just play the games and talk about them. Making suggestions to agree upon or whatever is all good, but no need for people to really dictate what goes or not, imo. If we all just play the games and talk about them, you don't really need much else. Just use your common sense when it comes to spoilers.
You're right. It was a pretty stupid question to begin with though, I'm not the kind of person who actually bothers to use his brain.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
You're right. It was a pretty stupid question to begin with though, I'm not the kind of person who actually bothers to use his brain.
Not stupid at all, mate. Someone to get us all going is needed, after all. Just not the extent we had in the last thread with super-imposing rules everywhere. Play and enjoy - that's all we need.

Chaos

PSICOM Soldier
Hey guys, glad to see everything got worked out and you're keeping it going. I'm curious though, has anyone considered going after Excalibur II in any play-through? I would if I had the time to play right now, but like I said curious if anyone else has thought about it or done it.