Final Fantasy Versus XV Megathread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
You have to remember that they have alot of the assets made+ alot of assets they havent used/cut from the versus days. It wont take as long to make as you think.
You ask not to be blocked, but at the same time give valid reasoning for why a person would. Anyway, this song is for you and anybody else like you in this situation:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yes like making FF7 Multi-part?
Making a remake of their most popular and beloved game isn't unpredictable (especially if we're to believe Tabata's words in regards to the series' state prior to XV), nor is making it a multi-part affair considering its scope, S-E's own experience and terrain tainting with Hitman and, especially, Nomura's similar intentions with XV (at one point, as they changed like crazy).

Seriously, have fun speculating and all of that, but this isn't happening. Not this year, nor the next one, nor the one after that. S-E wants to fucking move on from this when they make current XV feel more complete with the DLC and then go onto their next endeavours: they have enough in their plate in the Japanese side as it is, with KH3, FF VIIR, whatever state XVI is in and Tabata's new IP.

You guys should move on too, this is unhealthy and obsessive and does you no good. I don't mean it in ditching this thread: I like speculating too. But I would leave behind those very outlandish specific predictions with dates and all that you're making, as that will only dissapoint you further.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Making a remake of their most popular and beloved game isn't unpredictable (especially if we're to believe Tabata's words in regards to the series' state prior to XV), nor is making it a multi-part affair considering its scope, S-E's own experience and terrain tainting with Hitman and, especially, Nomura's similar intentions with XV (at one point, as they changed like crazy).

Seriously, have fun speculating and all of that, but this isn't happening. Not this year, nor the next one, nor the one after that. S-E wants to fucking move on from this when they make current XV feel more complete with the DLC and then go onto their next endeavours: they have enough in their plate in the Japanese side as it is, with KH3, FF VIIR, whatever state XVI is in and Tabata's new IP.

You guys should move on too, this is unhealthy and obsessive and does you no good. I don't mean it in ditching this thread: I like speculating too. But I would leave behind those very outlandish specific predictions with dates and all that you're making, as that will only dissapoint you further.
If Square wanted to just dump this turkey and move on then these free cutscenes wouldn't exist, they would just leave it at the DLC and end it the fact that they are still pouring resources into FFXV is strange, then adding the alternate realities and your in for a WTF, also I never said that making a remake was unpredictable, it was the multi-part that was no one who wanted the remake wanted that. Also like I said for the 1 millionth time, I take any Versus XV rumors with salt, a lot of salt. I also don't want XVI just yet, leave that for the PlayStation 5, last thing I want is another Versus happening, that's if I even care about XVI in the first place. If it's an ATB then fuck that, if it's Action well if it's before Versus XV then fuck that uninterested, if it's after or announced at the same time? Oh ok well then umm, I'll get Versus XV and XVI(assuming it's not another XIII if it is then you know what they should make a Versus XVI, so that people would forget the original ever existed)

Last edited:

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
You ask not to be blocked, but at the same time give valid reasoning for why a person would. Anyway, this song is for you and anybody else like you in this situation:
Until I see Final Fantasy Versus XV Now in Development with a trailer, oh no I ain't letting go of shit, I'm more interested in seeing a Remake/AU of XV than one of VI, VIII, or IX.

Hell even 7, nah fam I ain't letting go even if I turn 40 years old, I got plenty of time to ask, sign whatever petition like how some people were over the 7 Remake, until then 7 Remake is my last FF. Uninterested in XVI, and unless it get's stellar reviews like GTA V, Breath of the wild, and comes with a Versus XV demo, uninterested being honest here. For real though I'm just jaded with this franchise, I can't even get excited for the Remake anymore.

Hell even if this Versus XV thing ends up being true the only way I will be excited for it, is if it's in my hands, and I'm playing it, and it doesn't have FFXV's story issues, and boss fights that aren't like that Leviathan fight whoever came up with the idea needs to be fired from game design. SSJ invincible Noct bullshit.

Last edited:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
If Square wanted to just dump this turkey and move on then these free cutscenes wouldn't exist, they would just leave it at the DLC and end it the fact that they are still pouring resources into FFXV is strange, then adding the alternate realities and your in for a WTF, also I never said that making a remake was unpredictable, it was the multi-part that was no one who wanted the remake wanted that. Also like I said for the 1 millionth time, I take any Versus XV rumors with salt, a lot of salt. I also don't want XVI just yet, leave that for the PlayStation 5, last thing I want is another Versus happening, that's if I even care about XVI in the first place. If it's an ATB then fuck that, if it's Action well if it's before Versus XV then fuck that uninterested, if it's after or announced at the same time? Oh ok well then umm, I'll get Versus XV and XVI(assuming it's not another XIII if it is then you know what they should make a Versus XVI, so that people would forget the original ever existed)
I acknowledged and adressed the multi-part stuff in my post, though. However surprised we were, it's not unpredictable when it makes a lot of sense considering what I said, to the point where there were very similar intentions placed for XV also (iirc) referred to in interviews after the big show. FF Versus XV doesn't make sense so soon, not when it's basically based on wet dreams regarding a vaporware project of people who I would argue would, in its majority, prefer to leave all this mess behind for good. It would also denote them being embarrased of their final product, as well as a "fuck you" to Tabata and a HUGE team of people and a "fuck your current projects and work on this shit instead" to Nomura.

Also, from a financial standpoint it can be genius: these parts won't be cheap (I'd bet they'd be in the 40-60$/€ range) and, if they're not a disaster, they will send like crazy considering the brand, the game and all of that.

That they're still pouring resources into XV is surprising why? They have a half-assed game, especially when it comes to the story department (and those additions, I tell you, aren't going to be gamechanging or that significant: they're there to fix holes that shouldn't have existed. It's not outlandish to think that Tabata is the one pushing for this, as he did with the delay). CDPR also spent a year tweaking, improving and adding content to the TW3, main difference being that they "only" had (beyond the free initial content they released week after week) two expansions, while XV will have a few of them, albeit much, much smaller (we've yet to see the online one, to be fair).

I want them to get on XVI as soon and as well prepared and planned as possible because I don't want to have to see Noctis' stupid hair anymore than necessary, as it's been ten years already and I'm kinda tired that this character and his world would be the main face of a series that has always been special in its innovation and changes through its sequels, unlike most JRPGs. Nobody is saying that they should make this mistake Nomura seems to partake way too often in (I'm sure he can't really fight these decisions, though) of announcing a game with just a team of under 10 people and a CG cinematic.

And I know that you take those rumours with a grain of salt, but, at the end of the day, you still believe that this unreasonable thing has a big chance of happening, and so soon. I'm not entirely against the idea itself, but I would be very surprised if it ever happens and I could only see it happening 10 or more years down the line. And it would still be a long ass shot.

I wish that more things about Versus were known, though :(. I'd love to hear about that game's initial plans and how things came to change under Nomura (and then Tabata). A documentary on this would be fucking gold, I tell you that much. Considering how delicate some of this stuff seems to be and how Japanese culture around stuff like this is, I doubt we'll ever get much on this.

EDIT: ever considered that you might feel jaded in regards to this series precisely because of how tiring this whole Versus/XV thing is? I know I am (and also because I don't like X much, XII had tons of wasted potential and I disliked XIII and hated it being a trilogy. XV is a good game, but lacking and very dissapointing in many things).

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I wish that more things about Versus were known, though :(. I'd love to hear about that game's initial plans and how things came to change under Nomura (and then Tabata). A documentary on this would be fucking gold, I tell you that much. Considering how delicate some of this stuff seems to be and how Japanese culture around stuff like this is, I doubt we'll ever get much on this.
This is going to sound very selfish coming from me, but i honestly feel it may be for the best. All a documentary on the history of Versus XIII would do is open greater wounds towards people clinging hard on it's concepts (while giving XV more shit than needed), no matter how neat info it would behold.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
This is going to sound very selfish coming from me, but i honestly feel it may be for the best. All a documentary on the history of Versus XIII would do is open greater wounds towards people clinging hard on it's concepts (while giving XV more shit than needed), no matter how neat info it would behold.
It's not selfish at all imo. In an idea world content that never fully developed could be released to the public and be taken in a mature manner for the most part. It could very well inspire something else in the future. Sadly, anything and everything can be twisted into something negative to support an agenda. This has been proven time and time again on the internet.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
It's not selfish at all imo. In an idea world content that never fully developed could be released to the public and be taken in a mature manner for the most part. It could very well inspire something else in the future. Sadly, anything and everything can be twisted into something negative to support an agenda. This has been proven time and time again on the internet.
Here's a thought --- perhaps the story wasn't all that good to start with?

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
You'd think Kingdom Hearts would have given people a clue of what to potentially expect writing-wise, as exciting as Versus XIIi's concepts looked.
Kingdom Hearts was bogged down by having to force disney characters and worlds into it also im sure Nomura didnt plan to have so many sequal and prequels to it only happens because the series got so successful. Versus was going to be an original story and im sure everything was planned in advance. Well until it was changed later on probably as a case of square saying Nomura cant make 3 games anymore only 1.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Kingdom Hearts was bogged down by having to force disney characters and worlds into it also im sure Nomura didnt plan to have so many sequal and prequels to it only happens because the series got so successful. Versus was going to be an original story and im sure everything was planned in advance. Well until it was changed later on probably as a case of square saying Nomura cant make 3 games anymore only 1.
wtf is this shit

nobody forced disney characters and worlds into KH, it was nomura's idea to mesh disney with final fantasy, it was the base of his project; if he didn't planned sequels or prequels well he should have planned!

the argument (or lack of it) that nomura didnt planned because the series got successful is laughable, there's plenty of titles that were successful and their sequels/prequels were coherent and easy to follow (see god of war); the way you try to take all the fault from nomura is hilarious: "poor nomura wasnt aware his franchise was going to sell, he was confused that's why the spin-offs are a mess"

once again, wtf is this shit

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
wtf is this shit

nobody forced disney characters and worlds into KH, it was nomura's idea to mesh disney with final fantasy, it was the base of his project; if he didn't planned sequels or prequels well he should have planned!

the argument (or lack of it) that nomura didnt planned because the series got successful is laughable, there's plenty of titles that were successful and their sequels/prequels were coherent and easy to follow (see god of war); the way you try to take all the fault from nomura is hilarious: "poor nomura wasnt aware his franchise was going to sell, he was confused that's why the spin-offs are a mess"

once again, wtf is this shit
upload_2017-3-6_23-13-17.png

It was Shinji Hashimoto who had the idea to put disney characters in the game or to make this game series at all Not Nomura.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
he voluntarily made himself the lead, and he could have done a better job in the story department (and i doubt he didnt expected or imagined to create sequels for a game that casts disney characters -aka secret ending)

also don't forget advent children, he was also the director and the story of the movie is really barebones and uninspired.

talking about versus, if you think a game with multiple parts made by nomura that would have a death goddess, reapers, emo-prince, road-trip, kingdom of the dead, people that can see the dead, etc... would't be convoluted i don't know what to say; given his past works there was a high chance it would be just that.

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Lemme share a fun fact.

Eichiro Oda, the author of One Piece, originally planned for the series to last five years since inception. As it went ongoing however, he simply ended up adding more content to the plot, dramatically increasing it's lifespan.

The difference between Oda and Nomura in terms of writing, is that while Nomura has a knack for creating fascinating concepts into his stories, Oda actually excells at executing his expanded ideas & plans that can work well without greatly forsaking what was previously established in his own universe + convoluting shit to oblivion. Ergo, leading to a more coherently tighter, mostly consistent storytelling.

To disregard Nomura's questionable storytelling skills with "b-but he was forced to!" is outrageously asinine. Therefore:

Last edited:

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Lemme share a fun fact.

Eichiro Oda, the author of One Piece, originally planned for the series to last five years since inception. As it went ongoing however, he simply ended up adding more content to the plot, dramatically increasing it's lifespan.

The difference between Oda and Nomura in terms of writing, is that while Nomura has a knack for creating fascinating concepts into his stories, Oda actually excells at executing his expanded ideas & plans that can work well without greatly forsaking what was previously established in his own universe + convoluting shit to oblivion. Ergo, leading to a more coherently tighter, mostly consistent storytelling.

To disregard Nomura's questionable storytelling skills with "b-but he was forced to!" is outrageously asinine. Therefore:

Why do you compare Oda to Nomura, they are from two different mediums for christ's sake One Piece has almost 1000 chapters to tell it's story. I don't see Oda directing games, and if One Piece was a game series it would be limited by what it could do, hell I wouldn't be suprised, if it would be worse than Kingdom Hearts as a result. You can't compare Manga which has almost 1000 chapters to tell it's story, to a video game series where things become a lot more restrictive. I mean hell it's like comparing the 13 episodes of Daredevil to the 2.something hours of The Avengers and ask why is Kingpin more developed than Loki.

Why don't you compare Tabata to Nomura they work in the same field, and tell me the storytelling, or the feel for the characters in Type-0 is anything close to Birth By Sleep. Yeah I'm going to compare handheld titles. Oh and before you say anything about me being a Nomura fanboy. i should also say that Tabata was one of the writers, Nojima wrote Crisis Core, and he also wrote Kingdom Hearts 2(one of my favorite games of all time).

I enjoy Crisis Core a lot more than 358/2 Days, and ReCoded on the story front, even though the combat is clunkier, and I also place it as one of my favorite games of all time, below Birth By Sleep because it has better combat, more interesting boss fights, and better villains.

Last edited:

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
he voluntarily made himself the lead, and he could have done a better job in the story department (and i doubt he didnt expected or imagined to create sequels for a game that casts disney characters -aka secret ending)

also don't forget advent children, he was also the director and the story of the movie is really barebones and uninspired.

talking about versus, if you think a game with multiple parts made by nomura that would have a death goddess, reapers, emo-prince, road-trip, kingdom of the dead, people that can see the dead, etc... would't be convoluted i don't know what to say; given his past works there was a high chance it would be just that.
>also don't forget advent children, he was also the director and the story of the movie is really barebones and uninspired.

Ok you need to stop bringing up Advent Children it's arguable Square's best CGI movie, Square has never had good CGI movies let alone movies. So of course a game director isn't going to excel at this either. Hell I can't think of a CGI movie in recent memory from a game franchise that has translated well. Look at Ratchet and Clank that movie was terrible, Kingsglaive I got freaking lost, and let's not talk about Spirit's WIthin that was co-directed by Sakaguchi which is arguable the worst CGI video game movie of all time, if not one of them. Game directors don't translate well to film directors period, this isn't a Nomura thing, this is a thing, a thing that happens regularly. Adapting from video games to movies just doesn't work well, you can have a movie that is based on a video game idea maybe, but an adaptation no, not really.

Also in comparing Advent Children to Kingslaive, I cared for the characters more, oh and no I didn't play the original FF7 before I watched Advent Children, so I didn't have. I was exposed to FF7 through the compilation, and Kingdom Hearts. The only characters I found of any note were Regis(but barely), Nyx, and Libertus. Crowe was whatever, Luna was whatever, she did have some moments though. The fights however are better in Advent Children, I could barely tell what was going on during the fight between Glauca, and Nyx with all of the screen clusterfuck going on, even at the beginning I had troubles, telling who was who. Diamond Weapon though looked pretty kickass and I hope that is what they have in mind for the FF7 Remake. Advent Children the fights were fantastic like if you were just watching the movie for the fights, it's pretty amazing. I would say the Cloud vs Sephiroth fight rivals Byakuya vs Ichigo if not better.

Also Noctis wasn't emo, he's the same Noct as FFXV, just circumstances were different, also when is convoluted a bad thing, MGS is convoluted yet the stories are critical success, same with Kingdom Hearts, hell Final Fantasy stories can get convoluted(VIII Squall future dream whatever), convoluted isn't a bad thing, just how well you execute it, XIII is convoluted yet that's not even 1 of it's story problems.

Also remember when you tried to use an HD Remaster to diss Nomura's vision when 2.8 released?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/final-fantasy-type-0-hd

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/kingdom-hearts-hd-28-final-chapter-prologue

Type-0 is 100 percent Tabata's vision, unlike FFXV is a mix between the two, and I don't even want to bring up the other HD Remakes of Kingdom Hearts, hell I don't even want to bring up the upcoming PS4 Versions. Type-0 HD feels too much like a modified PSP Port and sadly they didn't modify it in a place that matters frame rate. DDD was at 30(hahahahaahah yeah no)FPS, but in 2.8 it's 60FPS, and honestly the graphics look more consistent and dare I say better in terms of artistic style, and consistency, obviously Type-0 HD is more advanced on the graphical front, but some of the character models look ripped out of the PSP game while some of them look like Kendolls and they were completely redone.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Type-0 HD feels too much like a modified PSP Port and sadly they didn't modify it in a place that matters frame rate.
Type-0 HD is more advanced on the graphical front, but some of the character models look ripped out of the PSP game while some of them look like Kendolls and they were completely redone.
There's actually a depressingly real development reason for that. Tabata and co wanted to both give the HD brushing-up to every character and incorporate the original version's multiplayer functionality. But both were affected by production deadlines; only the main cast could be focused on for an upgrade, and inserting the multiplayer would have taken an estimated extra year (and Tabata really wanted to bring us this FF game so many were screaming for).

I don't think Type-0 HD is perfect by any means. The English voice acting is lousy, the redone soundtrack became overly bombastic, and the shift from the grim color palate of the original negatively impacted the overall atmosphere.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Not really in the mood right now of hundreds of unspaced paragraphs, but The Spirits Within absolutely destroys both AC and KG (this one is problaby the worst out of the bunch) and it's not even a contest.

Also, S-E (and other companies) being shite at it doesn't excuse Nomura and Nojima from creating AC; that's just a lousy excuse. Especially when both have shown how capable they are of creating incredibly cringey embarrasing stuff beyond that film.

Last edited:

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
The Spirits Within absolutely destroys both AC and KG (this one is problaby the worst out of the bunch) and it's not even a contest.
I don't understand your context of destroy in this case. Are you coming from the angle that Spirits Within is better or worse?