Final Fantasy Versus XV Megathread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I don't understand your context of destroy in this case. Are you coming from the angle that Spirits Within is better or worse?
Better, better. It's not a good movie by any means, but at least can stand on its own, has an interesting concept and a good enough structure. Still, I wish it was never made, tbh. You know why :/

Maybe "destroys" isn't the right word, as TSW isn't good at all and the others aren't that much worse: AC is alright for what it is, but outside of that it doesn't work and even then, it doesn't really fit FF VII. KG is the same, but with awful directing and editing, as well as acting (only watched the English version, so I can't talk about others) and its "standalone quality" doesn't really exist (in AC you could argue that you had to be a fan to understand it all, but that makes sense as it's a direct sequel).

Still, if it makes them money, keep producing them, I guess. Can't say I'm excited about them anymore, although the visuals are generally good to great (I particularly like AC's fight scenes and Insomnia's look).

Last edited:

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Better, better. It's not a good movie by any means, but at least can stand on its own, has an interesting concept and a good enough structure. Still, I wish it was never made, tbh. You know why :/

Maybe "destroys" isn't the right word, as TSW isn't good at all and the others aren't that much worse: AC is alright for what it is, but outside of that it doesn't work and even then, it doesn't really fit FF VII. KG is the same, but with awful directing and editing, as well as acting (only watched the English version, so I can't talk about others) and its "standalone quality" doesn't really exist (in AC you could argue that you had to be a fan to understand it all, but that makes sense as it's a direct sequel).

Still, if it makes them money, keep producing them, I guess. Can't say I'm excited about them anymore, although the visuals are generally good to great (I particularly like AC's fight scenes and Insomnia's look).
I see. I can't really speak on AC, even though I have watched it, but Kingsglaive wasn't designed from the angle that it is suppose to be a one off complete experience. The film covered a major turning point in the storyline of FFXV, which imo was done successfully. That's part of the reason why most movie critics gave it a lower score than what it deserved because it didn't fall into a typical movie formula structure. For me anyway, I understood that in order to fully appreciate FFXV I would have to play the game, watch the CGI film, and watch the anime. It's understandable that fragmenting a single story through different media would be questionable for many. It didn't hinder my experience at all.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I see. I can't really speak on AC, even though I have watched it, but Kingsglaive wasn't designed from the angle that it is suppose to be a one off complete experience. The film covered a major turning point in the storyline of FFXV, which imo was done successfully. That's part of the reason why most movie critics gave it a lower score than what it deserved because it didn't fall into a typical movie formula structure. For me anyway, I understood that in order to fully appreciate FFXV I would have to play the game, watch the CGI film, and watch the anime. It's understandable that fragmenting a single story through different media would be questionable for many. It didn't hinder my experience at all.
I said that because I believe that Tabata and co implied as much: you could watch KG, Brotherhood... without even be interested in XV or its world and fully get what happens there.

But yeah, as a complement it's alright, although I still found the editing and voice acting to be very annoying :/ I wonder if they regret it or not (I'm guessing its cost is integrated into XV's marketing).

Now that I think about it, I really like some of AC's concepts (Geostigma, mainly) and scenes (most battle scenes, especially as the music was generally on point). I guess that, apart from it not being too good of a movie, I'm coming from a "not muh FF VII" standpoint, mostly. Oh, and me hating how Nomura characters generally look in more realistic styles, I'd say!

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown

Spirit's within is not better than Kingslaive or Advent. There is nothing redeemable about that movie, it's not something you could watch for the fighting, it's not even something you would watch if you want something Final Fantasy, hell you can't even watch that movie for the story. Hell that movie shouldn't even be called Final Fantasy Spirits within, You could call it The Spirits Within and it wouldn't make a difference. Hell Spirits Within would probably fit the bill for Halo or Call of Duty movie than a Final Fantasy, you know what maybe the Spirits Within should have been an FPS like Halo.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Spirit's within is not better than Kingslaive or Advent. There is nothing redeemable about that movie, it's not something you could watch for the fighting, it's not even something you would watch if you want something Final Fantasy, hell you can't even watch that movie for the story. Hell that movie shouldn't even be called Final Fantasy Spirits within, You could call it The Spirits Within and it wouldn't make a difference. Hell Spirits Within would probably fit the bill for Halo or Call of Duty movie than a Final Fantasy, you know what maybe the Spirits Within should have been an FPS like Halo.
Opinions, I guess.

Also, the fact that the movie isn't really a FF one or has cool fighting scenes mean nothing, unless the only kind of cinema you consume is pandering fanservice. That's a weird criticism that I could only understand if the film was based on a specific, pre-existing product, like FFVII or XV. This wasn't that, just a brand new universe and set of characters. Just because it doesn't have moogles or shit like, it doesn't mean it's not valid, as it's a hard-ish sci-fi film and that should be its priority.

Man, it seems that I love the movie, but I truly consider it mediocre. Just with much more value than the others.

Anyways, this is getting off-topic here, so I'll ask this: would you be satisfied with a CG feature film that told the story of Versus? No game, just the film, helmed by Nomura and Nojima.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Opinions, I guess.

Also, the fact that the movie isn't really a FF one or has cool fighting scenes mean nothing, unless the only kind of cinema you consume is pandering fanservice. That's a weird criticism that I could only understand if the film was based on a specific, pre-existing product, like FFVII or XV.
I would be fine without the fanservice if Spirits Within was simply a good movie, but if you don't have a good movie, or anything decent mind you, then I'll just for the fan service. When I look at a movie like Cap 3 the fan service serves the movie, and the movie is a great movie.

Spirit's Within doesn't have as good of a moment as Cloud vs Sephiroth
Tifa vs Loz
Nyx vs Glauca
It doesn't have characters like Reno
It doesn't have anyone like Libertus
That being said Advent Children is decent, not great just decent.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
When did this Versus XV thread turned into a FF movie debate?
Read a few pages and you'll understand why.

I hope if this World of Versus shit is true, I really really hope it is, that Final Fantasy XV gets some DLC demo for it, call it World of Versus Prologue, with a mix of combat ideas from the Versus XIII 2011 Trailer, and how warp striking works in FFXV, none of that grenade magic. So when FFXV comes out on Steam, I can play World of Versus demo, over and over and over and over, and over again.

Then have World of Versus be the name of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII project revival, set in an alternate FFXV timeline, with all of the FNC inside of it, that means divine Etro or something similar, I actually loved that scene between Noct and Stella wanted to see where they would go with it, put that scene in Versus XV bump that shit up in Luminous that's all you need for that scene the music is perfect, also add Ray Chases voice.
Call each game in the World of Versus relaunch
Final Fantasy Versus XV
Final Fantasy Versus XV-2
Final Fantasy Versus XV-3
For PlayStation 4, and Steam. (Whether they will put it on the Xbox One, I don't care the PS4 and Xbox One are interchangable)

Then do Type-Next for the PlayStation 4 and Steam

Final Fantasy XVI and the VIII. and a IX Remake for PlayStation 5 and Steam
(I honestly don't care when XVI comes out, as long as when it comes out, it doesn't have the story problems of FFXV) I just don't want Final Fantasy XVI to be RUSHED, have it come out whenever in the PlayStation 5's life cycle though I'd be more interested in Kingdom Hearts 4, yeah save that for PS5, and Steam.

VI can get a Remake for the PlayStation 6.

Last edited:

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Spirits Within is actually a decent movie on its own merits though. The other two are bad without lots of external context (and IMO even bad with it if you open your eyes)
I thought The Spirits Within was within another script draft and dropping the "Final Fantasy;" from being a really great movie.

I saw Advent Children at my father-in-law's house in North London. Maybe it was the jetlag, but I wondered who the hell greenlit this.

Haven't seen Kingsglaive - I know Dan Inoue wrote it. He does a good job with localization, but not sure that translates (as of yet) into a movie script.

When did this Versus XV thread turned into a FF movie debate?
We wanted to discuss something that actually exists.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Anyways, this is getting off-topic here, so I'll ask this: would you be satisfied with a CG feature film that told the story of Versus? No game, just the film, helmed by Nomura and Nojima.
If the Versus story was made into a cgi movie that looks like the old trailers, sure Id accept that at least just make sure they make multiple movies.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Just caught up with all the shenanigans in this thread.

Well damn... that escalated quickly lol

Where do these World of Versus rumours come from I wonder? Is it from some individual who is bored and then says to themselves "I'm bored... let's start rumours and watch people fall for it because the internet is a funny place" ?

Instead of a complete Remake, it makes more sense to use the assets and story they've written up until now to continue to add to the current game.

The basic premise and concept for FFXV is compelling imo. It just needs a shit tonne of depth added to it.

The story of Ardyn being the First King of Light, getting betrayed by the Astrals and the very people he tried to save, becoming consumed by spite and revenge, and then actually coming out as the victor in the end, is something akin to a Shakespeare tragedy.

Then there is the tragedy of Noctis and Luna to take into consideration. Two individuals who were the victim of fate and circumstances not of their own choosing, being affected by the actions of those from the past. Innocent individuals who barely lived at all and died way too soon.

All these individual stories come together to form a very tragic tale between everyone involved.

It's a great story. Very memorable and something I I wouldn't want them to change this at all.

Nomura originally wanted a Shakespearean tragedy right? It's already in the game. I just wrote it out for you what it is.

The only thing they need to do is add more. More cutscenes to link everything together and show people it's a tragic tale worthy of remembrance.

Nothing needs to be "remade" or "reworked".

I dunno about you... but the basic premise behind Ardyn and the history of Eos is fucking incredible to me. Epic in scale but just held back by time, resources, and disc space.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Opinions, I guess.

Personally no, I'd know it would be garbage trying to make a film condensing 3 games again into 1, but even worse you have 2 hours to do it, even if it was a trilogy fucking please. I'd rather they just make it a game or game series for the PlayStation 4 and move on with XVI for the PlayStation 5, but my fear is that they couldn't come up with something original for XV, so they just decided to take Versus and turn it into a mainline game which I will say was a mistake since Versus at least to Nomura at the time meant going against the entire Final Fantasy series.
I mean for real if FFXV took out everything to do with Versus, I think the game would have fallen apart that means the Chocobros, Ardyn, Iris anything to do with Versus XIII, the game would have fallen apart.
Hell even if they don't make a Versus XV for PlayStation 4, and Steam, I still don't want them working on XVI just yet, if they could barely manage a game based on another game, I dread to see what they do with Final Fantasy XVI especially if they released it this generation. I'd rather them work on a IX, VIII, and VI Remake for them to decide where to go with the franchise instead of trying to shit out another mainline.
XVI at this moment unless it wows me with the first trailer like Versus XIII did when I saw the 2006 Trailer on youtube, then XVI can wait. Hell that's probably part of the reason I want them to work on Versus XV instead of XVI, apart from wanting to see that potential shown in the Versus XIII trailers to be realized into a full game, seeing how to main highlights of XV for me is the Versus XIII stuff, and the disappointment being the changes.

lmfao

spirits within was lame, i thought AC and Kingsglave were much better and overall not as generic.
Spirits Within should have been an FPS franchise made by Square Enix,not tied to Final Fantasy I don't know what the hell they were thinking, I can't even finish Spirits Within honestly.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown

Where do these World of Versus rumours come from I wonder? Is it from some individual who is bored and then says to themselves "I'm bored... let's start rumours and watch people fall for it because the internet is a funny place" ?

Instead of a complete Remake, it makes more sense to use the assets and story they've written up until now to continue to add to the current game.

The basic premise and concept for FFXV is compelling imo. It just needs a shit tonne of depth added to it.
The World of Versus rumors come from 4chan, the Versus XV ones came from 4chan with another one coming from neogaf, but the one that posted it is from an unspecified Arabian forum, another one i posted came from YouTube.
Adding to the base game can only do so much, they have more of an incentive to make them of higher quality if they are charging you 60 bucks for it, and honestly it's not just story that's the problem with FFXV, there are game related problems as well ie. Leviathan. I'd rather they just flesh out that alternate timeline gobbly gook with a Versus XV Trilogy or whatever it takes to tell that story and actually have great storytelling this time , maybe they will have something I can remotely put my faith in, especially if they can flesh out the lore much better, and actually finish plot threads that were in the Versus XIII Trailers that got me interested in XV in the first place until they decided to change them, which I was fine with until it released, to which honestly if XV was a standalone game without any ties to Versus I doubt it would stand on it's own weight, it would probably collapse.

My expectations for the free cut-scenes are they are going to make you buy the DLC, that's it, they aren't going to do much for the actual base game, and you will need the DLC to have a complete experience when it comes to the story(should have been during the timeskip, not before, and no the timeskip isn't a spoiler, they spoiled that shit in the opening credits of the game, and during gamescom.

Quality is almost always better if you pay for it, Versus XV can charge 60 dollars for it's price tag, and if it's better than FFXV as a whole game, I'm for it, hell they will most likely have a reason to make it better than FFXV, so they can actually sell it. Maybe just maybe a Versus XV will actually feel like a complete game this time, or at least I hope it does, look I have the same fear about the FF7 Remake having the story problems of FFXV, but maybe it being multi-part is a good thing, but if the DLC is anything like FFXV's DLC, I'm out.

They have also introduced alternate realities, so you know what, instead of trying to force the entirety of the Versus story into an expansion which I will say this, if they tried this they will fuck it up, they will fuck it up so bad, I'm not even going to try and fathom it being remotely good, especially if some of the details on this expansion are true, because if they are, they getting death threats, not from me, not from me, but I will tell you the death threats they will receive, if that specific detail is true and I'm not gonna say what it is, because it's so cringe inducingly stupid, that if they actually tried this and did this, I would be done with Square as an entire company, to me Nier Automata was last game they made, and I'll forget them like I forgot Capcom, and move on to another franchise that doesn't do stupid shit. I'd rather it be this relaunch of Versus XIII actually let Nomura and Nojima tell the story he wanted to tell before the development conniption for god's sake if the Versus stuff in XV is anything to go on, it probably was going to be amazing or at least something I would enjoy for a long period of time, possibly with better gameplay like Kingdom Hearts with character switching, Warp Strikes, and Rated M. Since you introduced AUs you might as well, and I hope you do wasn't interested in it before, but now I am, things changed for me.

Me I would love to see what Final Fantasy Versus XIII/ XV would be without the developmental problems that Versus XIII and XV both shared. maybe just maybe with a 10% chance they can make a masterpiece out of it. An entire Versus XV Trilogy Part 1 made for 2019 or 2020, then have the other parts released 1-2 year(s) from each other.

Then I want them to re-evaluate where they want to take Final Fantasy before they even remotely think of a XVI, and at that time, make Remakes of VI, IX, VIII, and Type-Next. As well as Agni's Philosophy(NO DO NOT MAKE THIS XVI, It needs to be something original, something not based on a pre-existing idea, I saw how that worked for XV, don't want to see it again for XVI, I mean what are you going to do a Final Fantasy Versus XVI?

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015

The story of Ardyn being the First King of Light, getting betrayed by the Astrals and the very people he tried to save, becoming consumed by spite and revenge, and then actually coming out as the victor in the end, is something akin to a Shakespeare tragedy.

Then there is the tragedy of Noctis and Luna to take into consideration. Two individuals who were the victim of fate and circumstances not of their own choosing, being affected by the actions of those from the past. Innocent individuals who barely lived at all and died way too soon.

All these individual stories come together to form a very tragic tale between everyone involved.

It's a great story. Very memorable and something I I wouldn't want them to change this at all.

Nomura originally wanted a Shakespearean tragedy right? It's already in the game. I just wrote it out for you what it is.

The only thing they need to do is add more. More cutscenes to link everything together and show people it's a tragic tale worthy of remembrance.

Nothing needs to be "remade" or "reworked".

I dunno about you... but the basic premise behind Ardyn and the history of Eos is fucking incredible to me. Epic in scale but just held back by time, resources, and disc space.
Its funny, i too genuinely like the story basis behind FFXV. A group of friends on a journey to take back the crystal that was stolen from their invaded homeland by an enemy nation, amdist a series of unfortunate events confronting them.

Its really how it was told that left a lot to be desired, which is something that i have hopes that story updates will attempt to rectify. Theres just so much goldmine left in the cave its fascinating to me lol.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Its funny, i too genuinely like the story basis behind FFXV. A group of friends on a journey to take back the crystal that was stolen from their invaded homeland by an enemy nation, amdist a series of unfortunate events confronting them.

Its really how it was told that left a lot to be desired, which is something that i have hopes that story updates will attempt to rectify. Theres just so much goldmine left in the cave its fascinating to me lol.
>Its funny, i too genuinely like the story basis behind FFXV. A group of friends on a journey to take back the crystal that was stolen from their invaded homeland by an enemy nation, amdist a series of unfortunate events confronting them.
This is the Versus stuff

>Its really how it was told that left a lot to be desired, which is something that i have hopes that story updates will attempt to rectify. Theres just so much goldmine left in the cave its fascinating to me lol
Your hoping for too much, these cutscenes are free updates, which I'm going to bet are to make you want to go out and buy the DLC, I don't expect game changers they ain't charging for it, so it probably won't be much as opposed to a good, but not great improvement.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016

Exactly what's been bolded.

I prefer it as it is now. Very simple yet has a lot of depth and emotional involvement if they just work to nail the delivery of the story's themes and scenarios now.

Convoluted and complex doesn't necessarily make for a good story as many would believe.

Goldmine indeed. The concept art and mythos picture are absolutely fascinating with so many hidden things inside them. It may be a theory only but the Pitioss theory blew my mind with what's possible with this story.

I don't think Versus would've been on this scale. They did change it from what it was, to what it is now, for a reason after all: it just didn't work or make sense.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Exactly what's been bolded.

I prefer it as it is now. Very simple yet has a lot of depth and emotional involvement if they just work to nail the delivery of the story's themes and scenarios now.

Convoluted and complex doesn't necessarily make for a good story as many would believe.

Goldmine indeed. The concept art and mythos picture are absolutely fascinating with so many hidden things inside them. It may be a theory only but the Pitioss theory blew my mind with what's possible with this story.

I don't think Versus would've been on this scale. They did change it from what it was, to what it is now, for a reason after all: it just didn't work or make sense.
The changes from Versus to XV are a myriad of reasons, but I doubt not working is one of them. Versus was going to be M Rated, so they cut down on that Etro death worship and made it teen, it was going to be multi-part, but they didn't have faith in the project so they cut it down into 1 game thus the changes, they wanted to distance themselves from Final Fantasy XIII, so therefore they changed the mythos. FFXV's changes were business oriented, they needed this game to sell past 5 million or else bye bye bye mainline Final Fantasy titles, and didn't have faith that Nomura's vision would have done that, and feared it would have taken too long to develop, and they wanted the FF7 Remake to come out, that's why they went to CyberConnect2, and used Unreal Engine 4.

Versus would have probably been bigger than FFXV in terms of story, things would have probably been darker, however I can't say for sure if it would have been better though, however I bet it wouldn't have had the same story problems that got introduced when they cut the game from multi-part(3) to one.

In fact a lot of the changes were to pretty much get a Final Fantasy title out that could sell past 5 million, and the only way to do that is to ride to coat tails of the Versus hype train. If Final Fantasy XV wasn't in anyway tied to Versus XIII, it might have just met the target, if not undersell. However i do maintain that possibly just possibly if they let Nomura and Nojima do what they wanted to do, they could have possibly sold more, that is assuming the quality would have been on par, or better than FFXV.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Why do people act like having Etro worship would have made it M rated? Lightning Returns has Etro worship and it is rated T.