Final Fantasy VII Announced for PlayStation 4

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I wont argue that announcing this port on-stage was unnecesary but what i will argue is that we cant get angry at them for not making a remake of the name nor the "misleading" promotion(people jumping to conclutions everywhere).

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I think people have a right to be angry, upset, or disappointed. I wasn't not expecting a Final Fantasy VII remake, I don't even think one is mandatory, they should focus on new games imho, but the way they announced this at an event that was suppose to be huge is terrible, a port of port don't deserve this sort of announcement. If they would have announced G Bike for Vita that would have been at least more acceptable. I feel sorry for the fans who really do want a FF7 remake because they love the game! I might even go as far to say this was despicable!

I honestly don't see why it's a big deal... people are really blowing this out of proportion. The only reason this had so much buildup is because Hashimoto tried to speak in all English, if he spoke English well he would have just said it straight out and said that we're putting VII on the PS4 as part of the 20th Anniversary for PlayStation and it would have been that.
They deliberately put on the spectacle. They emphasised words like "17 years" and "return" (return? It never went anywhere...). The FFVII logo was one of the first things we saw go up on the massive screens. All the ingredients seemed to be there for people who have long sought for a remake. Sony agreed to give Square some ample stage time just to do this. Can you really blame people for believing even for a split second - and incidentally, people who may have forgotten what Hashimoto did at the PS4 announcement keynote - that this was supposed to be the herald of a very significant announcement if the guy was getting stage time at a significant keynote event? I agree that fans' own expectations ended up flooring them, but there's a point where accountability for it has to placed on Square-Enix for engineering it.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I agree that fans' own expectations ended up flooring them, but there's a point where accountability for it has to placed on Square-Enix for engineering it.
I honestly expected nothing, nor did I have any hopes for a remake. But the way they set all this was obvious they wanted to troll, and that's just nasty.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I honestly expected nothing, nor did I have any hopes for a remake. But the way they set all this was obvious they wanted to troll, and that's just nasty.
It "maybe" a trolling but still thats not enough reason(nor a rational one) to say that SE is an atrocious/unrespectful that makes crap that should disappear for good (internet ranting right now).

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
It "maybe" a trolling but still thats not enough reason(nor a rational one) to say that SE is an atrocious/unrespectful that makes crap that should disappear for good (internet ranting right now).
Those harsh words might be acceptable though, no one was watching this expecting a remake, yet Square themselves made it like they were announcing something big only to trick fans. The only ones laughing are Square Enix and those fans that hate FF7 (probably because they dislike the hardcore FF7 fanboys who caused trouble for them). Anyway. I wouldn't go as far as say that Square Enix needs to disappear, but this stunt was really uncalled for.

If Hashimoto only came up for a few minutes to very briefly make the small announcement that you'll now be able to play FFVII on your PS4 in the form of the crisper PC version (along with word that FFVIII will follow) before topping off with a valedictory note that more FFXV will be shown this month at another event, it wouldn't generate nearly anywhere near the uproar. Sure, we'd be annoyed that this man boarded a 13 hour flight just to come to Vegas and tell us to be excited (like last time), but it'd be no biggie.

Instead they elected to deliberately troll everyone. They had to be aware that they were doing it. They must have known that a FFVII remake is so widely asked for because their segment seemed carefully designed to lure viewers into a false sense of hope. No group of human beings can be that stupid that they weren't anticipating the backlash. Or perhaps they just don't care. Perhaps they're well aware that they will get away with this and there will still be plenty of people eager to pick this up for their PS4s while FFXV remains destined to do a good few millions. I refuse to believe anyone is that detached from reality, so the other explanation is that Square are swimming around in a pool of contempt for fans.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
A better announcement would be that the PS4 can play PSOne games digitally. I would have been okay with that.
Wait, PS4 can't play PSOne games? Really? Dammit even PS3 can play them. Sony screwed up a bit here.

I'm pretty sure Square Enix got the message since the FFVII PS3 tech demo that the fans really demands for a VII remake.
I forgot about that tech demo. It means they've trolled us TWO times already.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I actually find the whole thing kind of funny - my thoughts were: "There is no way they are announcing a remake right here", and damn right I was. Did you really think Square had come to its senses after the whole XV re-reveal? They stopped giving a fuck long ago.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I'm pretty sure Square Enix got the message since the FFVII PS3 tech demo that the fans really demands for a VII remake.
If Hashimoto only came up for a few minutes to very briefly make the small announcement that you'll now be able to play FFVII on your PS4 in the form of the crisper PC version (along with word that FFVIII will follow) before topping off with a valedictory note that more FFXV will be shown this month at another event, it wouldn't generate nearly anywhere near the uproar. Sure, we'd be annoyed that this man boarded a 13 hour flight just to come to Vegas and tell us to be excited (like last time), but it'd be no biggie.

Instead they elected to deliberately troll everyone. They had to be aware that they were doing it. They must have known that a FFVII remake is so widely asked for because their segment seemed carefully designed to lure viewers into a false sense of hope. No group of human beings can be that stupid that they weren't anticipating the backlash. Or perhaps they just don't care. Perhaps they're well aware that they will get away with this and there will still be plenty of people eager to pick this up for their PS4s while FFXV remains destined to do a good few millions. I refuse to believe anyone is that detached from reality, so the other explanation is that Square are swimming around in a pool of contempt for fans.
Thats fair but i wouldnt say that not making a remake of "x" game/trolling is enoguh to say that they are out of touch. Looking in back they are still in touch with the fanbase if they werent we wouldnt have for ex: FFXIVARR, KHHD2.5 collectors edition, Bravery Default, FFXIII sequels(i´m speaking of the improvements)

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I actually find the whole thing kind of funny - my thoughts were: "There is no way they are announcing a remake right here", and damn right I was. Did you really think Square had come to its senses after the whole XV re-reveal? They stopped giving a fuck long ago.
No one was expecting an FF7 remake announcement here, and still weren't when Hashimoto came on stage. However, I'm sure you can understand why so many fans were duped by SE when he started chatting about FF7 and that trailer kicked in. All the makings were there that what they were announcing was an FF7 remake. If you were able to see through it, good for you, but I'm sure you can see just why people were fooled - and in a pretty disrespectful way at that.

No one can tell me they are actually in touch with fans with stunts like these. Some people need to open their eyes.

My train of thought went like this:

>"Now we welcome Square-Enix game producer, Shinji Hashimoto!"
Oh. Oh. What, are they actually going to announce something today? Maybe that new non-remake game Matsuda was alluding to? Well, I was expecting Jump Festa, but go on, let's see what you have.

> Something about after 17 years and FFVII returning
Umm, where is this going? There's virtually no way they're working on a remake, let alone be in any realistic position to announce one. Is this just a vanity montage session as part of this history of PlayStation thing?

> Old footage of FFVII plays
[sarcastic] Ohhh, wow, this remake doesn't look too different from the original thing. Who knew?

> footage keeps going
Is there a punchline? How long is this montage going to go?

> footage ends, Hashimoto reveals all
What in the actual heck? That's it? Are they serious?

> Hashimoto hopes we have had a wonderful PlayStation experience and we have shots of the crowd. Commentators on the internet suddenly realise they've been had
Oh my goodness, they're serious. What have you done, Square-Enix. You broke the internet by trolling everyone. [starts laughing for a while]

> A short while later...
Okay, what the hell, Square. What a dick move.

Thats fair but i wouldnt say that not making a remake of "x" game/trolling is enoguh to say that they are out of touch. Looking in back they are still in touch with the fanbase if they werent we wouldnt have for ex: FFXIVARR, KHHD2.5 collectors edition, Bravery Default, FFXIII sequels(i´m speaking of the improvements)
I picture Square-Enix like I picture plenty of other firms in the world of business. They listen and they appear to be very much in sync with their consumer base only when it conveniences them to do so.

It's just that today, they may believe they've built up enough goodwill with their more recent releases/amendments, and can therefore risk a little blow to PR if the payoff can be that they maximise attention given to a PS4 port of a slightly shinier PC port of a PS1 game.

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
No one was expecting an FF7 remake announcement here, and still weren't when Hashimoto came on stage. However, I'm sure you can understand why so many fans were duped by SE when he started chatting about FF7 and that trailer kicked in. All the makings were there that what they were announcing was an FF7 remake. If you were able to see through it, good for you, but I'm sure you can see just why people were fooled - and in a pretty disrespectful way at that.

No one can tell me they are actually in touch with fans with stunts like these. Some people need to open their eyes.
In any case this action only shows that they are not in touch with FFVII fanbase not their whole fanbase.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
In any case this action only shows that they are not in touch with FFVII fanbase.
I disagree.

@Fleur Pretty much. I wasn't having any of it. Then I thought they were setting us up for it. Waited for that punchline... Waited. Nothing. Saw the hilarity of it all. Then laughed at the audacity of it all.

After the joke wears off, you realise that what they actually did was shocking behaviour. Very ballsy to mess with such a strong fanbase like that. Not a fan of it.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
In any case this action only shows that they are not in touch with FFVII fanbase not their whole fanbase.
Don't remember Shinji Hashimoto showing off Agni's Philosophy at the PlayStation event that happened back in February 2013 do you?

What happened back then was no different then what happened now. The fan reaction was the same. So it's not exclusive to just the Final Fantasy VII fan base.