Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
You have some good points there but overall, I think you're being a little too kind here.

SE's 'presentation' was a shit show. It was ''okay'' at absolute best.

As far as KH3 goes, this argument kinda gets thrown out the window because you're suggesting that someone won't buy KH3 because they've seen a trailer for FFVIIR, which could be released any time within the next 2 - 5 years. Your argument would hold weight if they planned on releasing FFVIIR close to the KH3 release date, which we know is the Mount Everest of unlikely scenarios - So yeah, that reason doesn't stack up at all. Games with no release dates don't effect ''gaming pipelines'' and marketing scheduling.

Nobody wants a constant drip feed of information, but a small update after 3 years isn't exactly too much to ask for, nor it is an unreasonable expectation for it to appear at E3. SE have been historically crap at managing peoples expectations, and yes I know that if we didn't hype it all up and expect stuff, we wouldn't be disappointed, but equally, don't announce a damn game and then show absolutely nothing for 3 years and not expect your fan base to be a little pissed off.

SE should have at least made a statement saying no FFVIIR details will be shown at E3, but if they did that, their stream viewer number would've probably been half that of what it was.

SE aren't stupid. They knew that someone would flag the Airbuster photo on their careers page and go with a theory that it's a little E3 teaser, because that stuff doesn't happen by accident. You don't just allow an unseen screenshot to be released by accident - And if it was, it would've been taken down. They knew their 'scratchy' E3 background would spark some conversations about FFVIIR as it totally fits that games style, and none others.

So I think you can forgive the fans for being a little hacked off with SE here because they clearly knew what they were doing.
I mentioned this before but because this is a collaboration with the mega-corporation that is Disney, Disney may have requested or stipulated that Square focus only on Kingdom Hearts 3 during this one event, especially because it was given a release date during E3. That's how marketing works. And to address the fanbase: they are acting as if there isn't one trailer of FFVII at E3 that it wont be shown the rest of the year or even it won't be released at all. It's a bit ridiculous. E3 only brings in about 68k attendees. TGS on the other hand brings in 4xs that. If they don't show anything during TGS, which is mostly a Sony event anyway, that would be a more legitimate time to be upset.

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
I mentioned this before but because this is a collaboration with the mega-corporation that is Disney, Disney may have requested or stipulated that Square focus only on Kingdom Hearts 3 during this one event,
But they didn't focus only on Kingdom Hearts 3 did they...In fact, Kingdom Hearts 3 took up hardly any air time at all. Tomb Raider had the most coverage actually in their presentation.

So that argument just doesn't make sense. And I get it, a lot of people have gone way over the top with their dismay, but I do think it was unreasonable of them not to show anything.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
But they didn't focus only on Kingdom Hearts 3 did they...In fact, Kingdom Hearts 3 took up hardly any air time at all. Tomb Raider had the most coverage actually in their presentation.

So that argument just doesn't make sense. And I get it, a lot of people have gone way over the top with their dismay, but I do think it was unreasonable of them not to show anything.
Technically that's even more reason why they might have not shown FFVII, if they wanted to focus on a smaller IP like Tomb Raider. I honestly forgot that it was given a release date too. Yet, Kingdom Hearts 3 has gotten 3 alternate trailers, a release date, and a pre order announcement that includes the the whole franchise. And an exclusive PS4 pro version. I would say they focused on it.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
https://www.gamespot.com/g00/articl...ZmFxcy5nYW1lc3BvdC5jb20v&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=14

Kingdom Hearts means a lot of things to a lot of people. For some, it represents their childhood or it's a story about friendship. What does Kingdom Hearts mean for you?
It's probably the title that represents who I am. When I was a starting as a developer, like I wasn't an industry veteran yet, when I was creating Final Fantasy titles with Mr. Sakaguchi, the father of Final Fantasy, and at that time, he said that Final Fantasy is a game that has everything in it. I don't think that there are that many people left in Square Enix that have actually worked with him on Final Fantasy. Of course, Final Fantasy is still continuing on--they still are committing to push out titles. But when I started creating Kingdom Hearts, that was when I kind of had this time away from Final Fantasy. And of course, I am working on a Final Fantasy title right now, but it was at a time when I was not working on a Final Fantasy title, and I really wanted to realize what Sakaguchi-san said about Final Fantasy, that it is a game that incorporates everything, to Kingdom Hearts. So I brought that idea to Kingdom Hearts. Currently looking at the newer Final Fantasy titles, to be honest, I don't think it really incorporates that idea of having everything. So I think that Kingdom Hearts, to me, is a game that has everything in it.
my idea of having everything doesnt include having dozens of spin-offs and final mix editions (tho he did say recently KH3 wont have one).

i think if he wants to change the way DLC is distributed im totally in (that also means good news for FFVIIR additional content)

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
https://www.gamespot.com/g00/articl...ZmFxcy5nYW1lc3BvdC5jb20v&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=14

my idea of having everything doesnt include having dozens of spin-offs and final mix editions (tho he did say recently KH3 wont have one).

i think if he wants to change the way DLC is distributed im totally in (that also means good news for FFVIIR additional content)
This is really ironic considering he's latching onto Sakaguchi's words here yet Sakaguchi considered FFXV his GOTY of 2016, and also Nomura's meaning isn't even really specific regarding what "everything" even is, because I don't know how FF4 or FF7 or 8 or 9 is doing "everything", and by his own accord "recent" FFs would include FF games he himself worked on til the end which would include the entire FF13 saga, all the Dissidia games,, Type-0, World of FF as well as what he's doing on FF7 Remake.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I'm not sure Nomura meant for that statement to refer to DLC practices. I believe it was in reference to making something that all walks of life can enjoy. A universally enjoyable experience because it has "everything in it". Humor, Drama, Action, etc. I do agree to an extent. After the PS1 era, it felt like Final Fantasy started leaning towards different demographics rather than make something appealing to everyone. On the flip side, Kingdom Hearts overall does have that universal feeling to it in my opinion.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I'm not sure Nomura meant for that statement to refer to DLC practices. I believe it was in reference to making something that all walks of life can enjoy. A universally enjoyable experience because it has "everything in it". Humor, Drama, Action, etc. I do agree to an extent. After the PS1 era, it felt like Final Fantasy started leaning towards different demographics rather than make something appealing to everyone. On the flip side, Kingdom Hearts overall does have that universal feeling to it in my opinion.
not sure about that, KH its a really quirky and eccentric game and hardly an acessible franchise to all demographics due to the convoluted narrative.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
not sure about that, KH its a really quirky and eccentric game and hardly an acessible franchise to all demographics due to the convoluted narrative.
If you delve into the franchise further than the surface, yes. The series is quite quirky and eccentric (which argubly is apart of its appeal). On the surface, however, it's the classic Hero's Journey with a familiar aesthetic. Many people likely didn't play the spin-offs titles. It's why games like RE:Coded and 358/2 Days were made into movies rather than playable in the HD Remixes I suspect. Regardless, barring the spin-offs, the mainline games are easy enough to understand at face value. Anyone of any age can easily play and experience the exterior narrative of Kingdom Hearts without too much trouble. I remember playing both Kingdom Hearts I and II back when I was 13-14 and had little trouble understanding the broader beats. Wield the Keyblade. Stop Ansem and the Heartless. Save Riku and Kairi. Find King Mickey. Protect Kingdom Hearts. Granted at that age I wasn't asking many questions in regards to the media I was engaging in. Still, the template of the hero's journey coupled with the relatively simple gameplay made the barriers of entry for the franchise extremely low I would argue.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
This is really ironic considering he's latching onto Sakaguchi's words here yet Sakaguchi considered FFXV his GOTY of 2016, and also Nomura's meaning isn't even really specific regarding what "everything" even is, because I don't know how FF4 or FF7 or 8 or 9 is doing "everything", and by his own accord "recent" FFs would include FF games he himself worked on til the end which would include the entire FF13 saga, all the Dissidia games,, Type-0, World of FF as well as what he's doing on FF7 Remake.
I mean, his translation doesn't exactly say a lot. What is "everything" to begin with? Kind of pointless nitpicking his message when it barely makes sense without any context. You can't say it's "ironic" when none of us really understand what he means. Not everything he says needs to be picked apart to shove back in his face.

If that is the case, then I can see what he means by it. Many fans themselves agree with this sentiment as well after FFX and beyond. But, they're probably just people stuck in nostalgia. Personally, I do enjoy X and XII, but I have major gripes with XIII and plenty with XV. I think it has more to do with the development environment in SQEX at the time though.

I'm already seeing some FF bashing from that latest statement, Nomura pls. :/
Eh, not really.

KH is definitely a game that anyone can pick up. If as kids many of us could play through KH and enjoy it, clearly it did its job.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
https://www.khinsider.com/news/Nomu...roperties-dealing-with-leaks-and-rumors-12569
Many publishers prefer to announce their projects when they have progressed quite far in development, but games like Kingdom Hearts 3 and the remake of Final Fantasy 7 have been revealed very early in advance, creating much anticipation from the fans. Would you have preferred waiting so as to not deal with the pressure and expectations from fans at such an early stage?
Nomura: Deciding when to announce your game to the public is always difficult. I understand why some companies wait as long as possible, and I definitely think it's a good thing for them. But in our case, we receive pressure from the fans even when we do not announce anything. They're always asking us "are you working on this?" or "why don't you make a sequel for that?". Even after the announcement, the situation does not change, because then they'll move onto asking us "when will it release?" or "when will you show a new trailer?".

People are waiting for new information regardless of whether the game has been announced or not. It's great when we manage to keep it secret for as long as possible, but these days, a lot of important projects become victims of rumors and leaks. Honestly, I prefer that we officially reveal one of our games instead of seeing a leak or a rumor circulating online. Especially when part of the development is outsourced to other companies, there is always the risk that people outside the in-house team will spread information and images online. It is even worse when, during the development, a fake rumor sprouts that people start to believe, and it becomes necessary to decide whether to answer and deny.

The same thing happened with the remake of Final Fantasy 7. I am well aware of the fact that we announced it too early, but even in the industry, word was beginning to spread that we were working on the game, so we just decided not to keep it more secret and officially reveal it.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
The same thing happened with the remake of Final Fantasy 7. I am well aware of the fact that we announced it too early, but even in the industry, word was beginning to spread that we were working on the game, so we just decided not to keep it more secret and officially reveal it.
Didn't stop Devil May Cry 5 from waiting over a year post-leak.

Last edited:

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I knew it. They want to focus on Kingdom Hearts. Next year we will probably hear a lot more in regards to the remake as Kingdom Hearts III will have released.