Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Materia system's interface reminds me of XIII/XIII-2s Crystarium.

Edit:

"There are currently several factions within Avalanche, and the group that oversees Midgar, which consists of Barrett and company, is a dynamic one that does not hesitate to use force."

very cool detail, in the original it was only Avalanche right?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
That screenshot with the weapons upgrade menu looks sexy as hell. So glad that you can actually upgrade your weapons instead of them becoming obsolete after you get the latest one. Also Nomura's comment about M.O.T.O.R. seemingly not being the final boss in Midgar anymore has me excited. I'm placing my bets on the final boss being someone from SOLDIER especially since the blond guy on the bike has been confirmed to be more than just a grunt or mini boss to fight. It would be a good way to build up to Sephiroth by having a First Class be the final boss here only to find out Sephiroth is far above even his level. It would sort of be like a sample of what's to come with Sephiroth without blowing their load too soon and actually using Sephiroth. Also interesting to find out that Nomura originally planned on trying to remake the original VII as part of the compilation.

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
Toriyama has been directing Mobius FF for the latest years, it was about time he returned a bit on the spotlight imo
Dude got a lot of negative image imposed on him that he's responsible for the mediocrity of FFXIII. Mobius doesn't seem like it's doing well. Well I just hope people let go of the past and give him a new start.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Mobius has been active for 4 years, and still going... FFXIII games were well-reviewed titles (LR not so much) despite not achieving excellent/great scores.

All the hate for the guy is massively overblown I feel, same is true for Tabata as well.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Really did not expect Toriyama to be staying at SE, let alone being a part of a mainline FF development.
I think we need to give PS3-era Square Enix employees a mulligan. Their issues during that generation are well-documented. Because of this, Toriyama's directorial foray into the mainline series left a lot to be desired (like a coherent plot, likable and memorable characters, etc.). However, on this project, he's one of a few co-directors. Plus he worked on the scenarios on the original FF7. I think he'll do alright this time.

Feb 19, 2018
Nice comparisons. Can only assume the removal of the Highwind is because it isn't relevant for Remake Part 1.
I wonder if the Nibelheim well scene will still be present.
I'm honestly of the opinion that Niblheim seems like a great scene to start part 2 off with. Like start the game off with the flashback to Niblheim with Cloud narrating it and maybe even let the player assume control of Sephiroth in combat. Have Cloud struggle with super high level enemies only for the game to recommend the character switching mechanic after which you curb stomp everything without breaking a sweat as Sephiroth. You then witness the burning of Niblheim after which you catch up to Sephiroth to confront him and the title credits roll just before they clash in the Mako reactor.

Grumbleman

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Feb 28, 2018
I'm honestly of the opinion that Niblheim seems like a great scene to start part 2 off with. Like start the game off with the flashback to Niblheim with Cloud narrating it and maybe even let the player assume control of Sephiroth in combat. Have Cloud struggle with super high level enemies only for the game to recommend the character switching mechanic after which you curb stomp everything without breaking a sweat as Sephiroth. You then witness the burning of Niblheim after which you catch up to Sephiroth to confront him and the title credits roll just before they clash in the Mako reactor.
Yes I think Cloud telling the others about the burning of Nibelheim in Kalm will be the start of part 2.
I was referring to the short flashback scene with Cloud and Tifa as children, sitting at the well, when he told her he was leaving to join Soldier. If they include that scene, that means they will have already built some of Nibelheim.
It's really interesting, to me at least, seeing how much has been recreated so far and in so much detail. A lot of JRPGs in general over the last decade have relied on palette swap enemies and copy paste dungeons. It's incredible to see the effort Square are putting into this remake.

It looks kinda goofy, but then I remember the time when everyone was mad at Dragon Quest XI also coming to Switch when Horii announced it at an event in early 2015 or just now with Death Stranding also coming to PC.

Guess it makes sense since platform fanboys can be a bit annoying and SE wants to avoid a shitstorm. Or the game will be declared bad right after it came out because it's no longer a PS exclusive, lol.

EDIT: It also makes sense if one considers the possibility of this game coming out across at least two generations of consoles, seeing how Sony is gearing up to releasing a new PlayStation so soon, so FF VII Remake Episode One: The Shinra Menace will possibly be released on PS5 down the line to ensure cross-save compatibility.

Last edited: