Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Going off what some of you have posted so far I don't know if it's a good idea to give a score rating to each of these games as each part is telling of a giant story. Now for example if the combat fails to evolve even getting into the end stages of it all super understandable to criticize that. If FFVII:R is having camera issues now in combat, then I can't image how bad they'll potentially be with large bosses like the weapons for example. Will FFVII:R be rated as a good product in total, or will it end up with a lower rating due to the time waiting between each installment. New games will come out in the mean time that may mold a person's thought process/mentality approach when it comes to each part of the remake rather that be for better or more likely worse. Time will tell how things play out. Thanks ladies/gents for the feedback.

SerjAngelo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 28, 2017
At Chapter 10 at the moment, and I'm enjoying most of the game despite some issues.

As I feared, they just couldn't keep the quality of the initial bombing run throughout the whole game - that was obviously their vertical slice along with Ch.2 Midgar section and more thought and work was put into those areas, which shows. I was baffled by the ugly textures in Chapters 3 and 8. Last time I saw something this ugly was Dark Souls 2 vanila release.

That being said, the world building so far is top notch and artistically the game is really great. Despite being linear (and I honestly prefer that), the locations don't mostly look like they're made of by copy-pasted assets, but there was a wholesome vision behind each locale with distinct feel to them. Wallmarket oozes with atmosphere. Too bad we have to wait till the PC/Next-gen release to enjoy them to their fullest.

At least the cutscenes quality, dialogues and main characters are all good, same can be said about the story's pacing.

Combat is pretty great. I'd go as far as to say it's the best version of a modern FF combat realized and it gives many tools for you to experiment both in customization (with weapon upgrades and materia) as well as the real time actions and decisions-making.
You just have to realize that it's not a pure action game, and to not try to play it like it's one. On the contrary - it's more of a tactical game with action elements than anything. And in my experience so far, most of those elements are implemented really well. And especially I loved the bosses (Reno fight in particular) - so far all of them were amazing, and it's very fun to figure out how to no-damage the humanoid ones.
The only thing that really bothers me is the lack of jump button and proper aerial combat. The bootlegged version with autojumps looks cool, but it's not very useful.

Overall I'd say that the score of 8.5 seems very fair to this game, and it's the first time I'm having this much fun with a FF game since XII's release.

Last edited:

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
It's funny to me how many people defend shitty combat things in 7R that 7R does worse than the very things people complained about in XV.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
When I first saw this title I got FFXIII-2 nightmares coming up, cause that game has some of my most hated FF music I have ever listened too. But...I was pleasantly surprised....

It's funny to me how many people defend shitty combat things in 7R that 7R does worse than the very things people complained about in XV.
It's called bias good sir. FFXV's combat had depth, it just never forced the player to actually use it to get through the story...which we later found out was an intentional design choice to reduce game overs for the player (Regalia still hardest FFXV boss with game overs fight me). FFXV's AI weren't perfect either, but it was nice to know I could rely on Ignis to come save me cause that man would get into sprint mode.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
When I first saw this title I got FFXIII-2 nightmares coming up, cause that game has some of my most hated FF music I have ever listened too. But...I was pleasantly surprised....

It's called bias good sir. FFXV's combat had depth, it just never forced the player to actually use it to get through the story...which we later found out was an intentional design choice to reduce game overs for the player (Regalia still hardest FFXV boss with game overs fight me). FFXV's AI weren't perfect either, but it was nice to know I could rely on Ignis to come save me cause that man would get into sprint mode.
I felt the AI in XV got better the more ascension nodes you unlocked, and even at the base level it's still better functioning than 7R AI, hell even Comrades AI was better, I played that almost entirely offline and anytime I needed healing they would heal me straight away by warping to me.

Thing is after going through 7R, I feel like I barely even used anything, other than basic attacks on the characters, Focused Thrust and the other Stagger boosting abilities with Cloud and the others whenever a battle started, occasional healing and a Limit Break whenever one happened, I used some other things just to see what they were but I barely used Magic and only got a summon a few times. I only really used ATB boosting Materia on Cloud and just regular healing stuff on each member with whatever loadout boosted their stats the most, I had Thunder magic on them too but it was just there to sit in a Materia slot, I used the stagger boosting abilities way more frequently.. I'm going through hard mode now and I since it carries over stuff from your 1st playthrough I can see had barely used any of the Materia, I didn't even use any of the Blue support materia until I started hard mode. It got to the point pretty early on in 7R where I was able to spam Focused Thrusts's as often as I could warp-strikes on a level 1 fresh XV play-through, which is around 2-3 warpstrikes before stasis.

Here's a thing about the 7R Materia too, some of the things you can add through it are things that are in base game XV on the combat by default, for example Deadly Dodge is an attack after a dodge which XV has on the characters by default, and the Auto-Heal materia is exactly what the bros all do and can improve via Ascension on the First-Aid node, and so on. However even the Ascension nodes for the bros has various abilities and skills they would do on their own as AI like Ignis's Venom Fang which poisons an enemy or Prompto's Scintilla which inflicts Stop on them, or Gladio's Intercept which has him guard an attack that was going to hit the player. Things like the ATB boosting Materia and accessories is essentially the same thing as the Tech boosting Ascension node and accessories that speed it up. There's like 6 ability different things per the 3 bros the AI can do aside from attacking, dodging, guarding and healing, and once you unlock them they could do any and all of them in a battle. In 7R the most you have to customize the AI are like 3 or 4 materia, the Auto-cure, Provoke, Synergy materia are the only ones coming to mind at the moment, and you have to equip those to a character you want that to happen for.

Btw that gameover thing is a standard game design process, game over "reduction" is not so much about trying to prevent game overs entirely from happening, it's about designing the methods for how a player would through their own play be able to prevent getting a gameover, and in the case of XV since it always had the aspect of "if Noct is KO it's gameover" which itself was a holdover from Versus, which I remember everyone complaining about, it's why they put in that danger state buffer in so you could be able to revive yourself as Noctis. So if Noctis is KO it's gameover, and since the other characters systems were created as their own solo adventures too it's why their systems were also gameover if they get KO, hence why when they added chara switch it's gameover if whoever you're playing as is KO, of course if you don't use a Phoenix Down.

Should also be noted that following Episode Duscae the Japanese feedback given to SE was that the game was too hard, which is party why the final game has it more easier as long as you have items and also why they added the Easy mode where Carbuncle will revive you outside of some boss battles and high level hunts, I remember in ED you could get interupted from using Potions or healing but in the final game you have full iframes when healing, I guess you can thank the Japanese players that complained it was too hard for that.

In 7R "gameoever prevention" is done through revival items too, which they have done via auto revival items you can equip on each party member, and through either Raise/Arise or Phoenix Downs which require 1 ATB cost, and in 7R it's only gameover if the entire party is KO.

But going through 7R on hard mode now, which is essentially a no item/no reliable MP recovery run, and it's honestly way easier to not die than it is in XV on a no item/no buff level 1 run. In 7R even on hard mode you still have the auto-revive accessory you can equip on each member and can still use Raise/Arise which cost 1 ATB, while in XV on a no item level 1 run the only reliable way to heal is via Ignis's regroup which costs 2 tech points, and there is no way to revive fully KO members on such a run.

Last edited:

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
Finished the game the other day. Absolutely fantastic start to finish and makes up for a lot of the series' shortcomings over the past 10 years while delivering what was promised since day one and more. Square Enix is in a good place right now between Remake and Shadowbringers, so hopefully they keep it up.

Feb 19, 2018
FFXV's combat had depth, it just never forced the player to actually use it to get through the story...
Tbh from what I've played so far FFVIIR doesn't really do the same either. Potions are just as easy to stock up on, most things die just from magic spamming, ATB is extremely easy to charge and abuse especially with some later materias and items, and most fights boil down to whether or not you can out heal the incoming damage. I have to actively limit myself so I don't cheese through combat like in FFXV. You also don't immediately get a game over in a fight because the game just switches you to a different party member that can be used to revive the first downed member. Feels a lot like FFXV's buffer period before death except there you don't automatically get switched off of Noctis once HP hits 0. Combat overall feels a lot like XV except they just made the inputs more involving with the menus. It's a fun experience due to the variety of the main campaign and I think the story has more consistent high quality than FFXV by a long shot but gameplay is pretty much the same just with a few tweaks so it feels more involving to which I give them props for being able to create that feeling but once you remove the excessive menu cycling and tapping to attack it essentially boils down to the same thing as FFXV. Oh and also while FFXV's defensive options like dodging and blocking were too OP while the ones here are useless so there's that difference I guess.

Overall feels like the changes in combat are more surface level and not as deep as everyone seems to be passing them off as. I'm just hoping once I unlock hard mode it'll have enough restrictions and balance changes in it to force me to actually strategize but so far the default difficulty is really easy to cruise through with the same tactics that made FFXV easy.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Overall feels like the changes in combat are more surface level and not as deep as everyone seems to be passing them off as. I'm just hoping once I unlock hard mode it'll have enough restrictions and balance changes in it to force me to actually strategize but so far the default difficulty is really easy to cruise through with the same tactics that made FFXV easy.
I suppose if people could start a new game on a harder difficulty from scratch it may be doable. I have been informed your stats carry over from the first play through. I can't personally comment on the the chip damage that's in FFVII:R because I don't play games that have that type of mechanic in general (minus characters like Akuma from Tekken 7).

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
I'm damn satisfied by the final result, considering that initially marketing gave off the impression the OST would be over-orchestrated.

plenty of great arrangements and the new songs are also good.
Years of dissatisfaction with Hollywood and western triple A game scores being meh at best made me worried whether this game would also have followed that path. Such a relief it doesn't happen here.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
makes up for a lot of the series' shortcomings over the past 10 years while delivering what was promised since day one and more. Square Enix is in a good place right now between Remake and Shadowbringers, so hopefully they keep it up.
I don't remember them promising
a sequel disguised as a remake with alternate timeline and time travel bullshit that requires you to literally have seen Advent Children and played the Compilation stuff, read the FF7 Novels and have played FF7 itself just to even try and understand what the hell anything actually means in 7R, you literally cannot understand the story in 7R without knowing about those things first, there's so many glaring plotholes and unexplained things that I'm genuinely curious what you're talking about?
But knowing you you'd praise literally anything 7R did regardless of how inferior it does many things compared to XV because you're incredibly biased and have been coping ever since Nomura was kicked off from FFXV and they replaced one blonde girl with another blonde girl.

I also don't see how it
literally undermining the entire story of the OG FF7 and actively ruining other things about its story just to take place with time ghosts, Sephiroth not making any sense if you never played OG, retconning Zack's death which thus undermines the entire point of Cloud's character, retconning Bigg's death, etc.
makes up for any "shortcomings" in other games, yet you always harped on about changes in XV from shit that only existed in concept TRAILERS, and you even got extremely mad when Episode Ardyn referenced old Versus trailers, but then when KH3 did it with Verum Rex it's suddenly OK now, so it's really hypocritical you.

I mean by your own logic XV we got is what was promised because we were promised a party based ARPG with a roadtrip focused on the bonds of the four bros as they travel around Lucis which has gas stations in deserts, grass lands, fighting armour clad soldiers with guns and monsters along the way, at some point fighting Leviathan in a venice-like city, making their way to Niflheim to get the Crystal. Even the lyrics of Somnus from the first 2006 Versus trailer still 100% adhere to the events of FFXV, hell even moreso than they did based on what we knew of Versus, where Somnus lyrics talk about the gods sleeping, as the Astral gods slumber in XV, with a tragedy dividing, which Noctis literally has multiple tragedies befall upon him losing his country, his father, his fiance, etc, causing division and tension through the game, to the perpetual night which literally happens as a result of the Starscourge, to one day seeing the dawn again which is literally the ending of FFXV where Noct restores the dawn to the world after having lived in a perpetual night for a decade. Even 7R's combat changed more from that initial 2015 trailer compared to things in FFXV compared to 2011 or 2013, which literally retains nearly all those combat animations too, whereas not a single animation from the 2015 7R trailer is in the final 7R.

If there is one big takeaway from FF7R it's that it's not even actually
a remake, it's literally a sequel
, so how isn't that deliberately misleading people by primarily using things from the original in the marketing of the game to sucker people into it and by saying that even though there is changes it's still faithful to the original? People who didn't play the original wouldn't know and would be extremely lost by the end and anyone who has played the OG and other FF7 Comp stuff would know the ending of 7R is nowhere in any reality "faithful" to anything that happens in FF7. Changes people expected based on what they had said and shown were just fleshed out characters more like with Avalanche or Shinra by giving them more screentime to develop with, even with those additions feeling more in line with what FF7 as it just expands on what was already there, the new story things added for the actual main story do not because they did not exist or even have any notion to exist in the original, and change the actual core foundation of events for the overall narrative which isn't what was promised.

I also seem to recall you giving FF Type-0 a 9/10 and that came out within the last 10 years too, you know but you'd say anything to try and diminish Tabata's success in pushing the FF franchise forward and having saved single player with XV long before 7R released.

Are these not your own words?
Kagari said:
Complex in some respects though Type-0’s story may be, it really drove home the essence of Final Fantasy much more than more recent entries such as Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, which felt like a tonal departure from the series of old, edging closer to traditional anime. With such a large cast of characters I was almost afraid that some of the plot would suffer, but fortunately that’s not the case. Rem and Machina, although originally outsiders, really come into their own as the “main characters” of the story, and the rest of the cast feels just as important. Simply put, the story is incredibly enjoyable.
Kagari said:
That being said, I think fans – especially those of classic JRPGs – will appreciate the emotional and certainly epic scale of the narrative. Final Fantasy as of late has been missing those meaningful epic moments. And while a lot of it can of course be subjective, the more recent entries have lacked their own water-cooler moments of the Midgar reveal, their own tale of a foulmouthed dragoon wishing to go into outer space. I think, especially in the case of FFXIII, there just hasn’t been that character attachment that existed in the earlier games, and I miss it. Type-0 at least calls back to some of the greatness found in the likes of Final Fantasy VII, and displays this feeling of power that exists in those earlier titles. I found myself wanting to care what happened to several characters, and the impact was all the greater when something actually did.
Kagari said:
Final Fantasy Type-0 is a more than worthy entry into the FF mythos and in my eyes a step in the right direction for the series as a whole. Although the game exists on a handheld, Type-0 provides a home console-level experience and shouldn’t be ignored by fans as a result. Given FF’s recent troubles with XIV and split fanbase opinion over XIII and its sequel, Square Enix would be wise to give it its due attention before it’s too late.

http://novacrystallis.com/2012/08/final-fantasy-type-0-import-review/

Or are you going to backtrack from you singing such high praises for Type-0?

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
One thing I find ironic is that while FFXV's game over prevention may be a bit more aggressive than FFVIIR's, FFVIIR apparently has a much greater degree of consequence mitigation for game overs -- VIIR supposedly puts you right back before the fight you lost, while XV erases all your progress since your last save point.