Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Tbh from what I've played so far FFVIIR doesn't really do the same either. Potions are just as easy to stock up on, most things die just from magic spamming, ATB is extremely easy to charge and abuse especially with some later materias and items, and most fights boil down to whether or not you can out heal the incoming damage. I have to actively limit myself so I don't cheese through combat like in FFXV. You also don't immediately get a game over in a fight because the game just switches you to a different party member that can be used to revive the first downed member. Feels a lot like FFXV's buffer period before death except there you don't automatically get switched off of Noctis once HP hits 0. Combat overall feels a lot like XV except they just made the inputs more involving with the menus. It's a fun experience due to the variety of the main campaign and I think the story has more consistent high quality than FFXV by a long shot but gameplay is pretty much the same just with a few tweaks so it feels more involving to which I give them props for being able to create that feeling but once you remove the excessive menu cycling and tapping to attack it essentially boils down to the same thing as FFXV. Oh and also while FFXV's defensive options like dodging and blocking were too OP while the ones here are useless so there's that difference I guess.

Overall feels like the changes in combat are more surface level and not as deep as everyone seems to be passing them off as. I'm just hoping once I unlock hard mode it'll have enough restrictions and balance changes in it to force me to actually strategize but so far the default difficulty is really easy to cruise through with the same tactics that made FFXV easy.
So far in Hard mode only the bosses really have required me to setup specific Materia loadouts since they are very damage spongey and the fight would drag on way too long for my liking if you don't stagger them, regular fights in Hard mode can still be gotten through by basic attacks and spamming focused thrust or triple slash.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
It's one point higher than Final Fantasy XV.
FFVIIR was developed by the more experienced team (BD1).

considering its open-world nature and exploration, I personally see FFXV as the most ambitious title of the two though.

its no surprise FFVIIR scored higher, all things considered.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
FFVIIR was developed by the more experienced team (BD1).

considering its open-world nature and exploration, I personally see FFXV as the most ambitious title of the two though.

its no surprise FFVIIR scored higher, all things considered.
I still hold that FFXV isn't just the more ambitious game -- in some ways its ambitions are effectively unmatched. The vast majority of AAA games limit the presence of AI allies to specific areas and tend to stick to one, if any; FFXV has to account for three or four high quality ally AIs virtually everywhere, as well as the increase in the number of enemies necessitated by the existence of up to five competent party members.

Likewise, the warping system was a strain on the game's streaming engine that virtually no other open world game ever had to deal with. (This is what makes VIIR's texture streaming bug particularly galling to me. =/ )

What I find particularly amusing is when people mention things that they want to see next generation... and FFXV already did with Jaguar CPUs and slow HDDs. xD

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
One thing I find ironic is that while FFXV's game over prevention may be a bit more aggressive than FFVIIR's, FFVIIR apparently has a much greater degree of consequence mitigation for game overs -- VIIR supposedly puts you right back before the fight you lost, while XV erases all your progress since your last save point.
Oh I was not aware of that feature at all. Thank you for informing me of that.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Slight off topic: I do find it a bit sad that there are individuals that can not simply celebrate the success of a product without bringing down another product in the process of that. I am aware I am probably guilty of this also in the past context so I apologize. The more successful RPGs that come out, the more gaming options one has at the end of the day. With a gaming market that is overflooded with shooters, sports games, and maybe certain other genres it's nice to see a RPG do well.

In regards to the original FFVII it took the company 7 tries to strike lightning in a bottle. All the prior titles, for better or worse, should not be dismissed as they either laid foundation blocks and/or provided experience for the next thing. Few games are ever perfect, which is good because it can always give something else to look forward too imo. Some of FFXV's D.N.A is in FFVII:R, so I could argue that the first part of the FFVII:R may not have been as strong without the help of FFXV.

Imo, more people were exposed to FFXV than what they were to X-2, Lightning Returns FFXIII, or Type-0. That in itself has swayed public opinion some that a FF mainline game does not need to be strictly classical turn based in order for people to love it imo.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Oh I was not aware of that feature at all. Thank you for informing me of that.
No problem. I haven't experienced itself, since I haven't started playing yet, but it seemed like an obvious thing once I heard of it, since VIIR clearly has been influenced by XIII to a surprising degree. XD;

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Last edited:

ash

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 18, 2018
FF7R sales according to Famitsu. The game sold 702.8K on opening week (friday)

For comparison the first week sales of recent FFs:
  • FFX had 1.7M on opening week (thursday)
  • FFXII had 1.8M on opening week (thursday)
  • FFXIII had 1.5M on opening week (Monday)
  • FFXV had 716K on opening week (Monday)
https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/
This is impressive, especially given the current situation. I wanted to buy physical Deluxe but had to get digital because I was too late..

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Now the more interesting part is how much it will drop on the second week, that should tell how long it would take the game to outperform XV (by VII brand alone it should do it), it if does.
I think for myself a more interesting question will be if the 2nd part of the remake can get the same or better results for its first week sales. I understand timing of release can indeed play a factor in this, but if the reality turns out the part 2 does not have as strong of week 1 sales as the first part, then the sequel curse of FF will take place here again.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Enjoyed the game overall. This is very much a "returning" to form for Square-Enix despite some speedbumps. If this is a trilogy I hope the quality remains consistent throughout. A lot of trilogies have a habit of peaking with the 2nd entry and foundering in the third. Anyway, I think this might be my favorite Final Fantasy OST bar none. Hamauzu really out did himself here. This solidified him as my favorite modern day Final Fantasy composer. I think it's very encouraging the that battle system inherited elements from past games to create something with immense potential. I could easily let go of turn-based battles if they were designed within this vein. The ending is somewhat souring, yet I'll really have to see how they handle it in the follow-up(s) before having any concrete thoughts on it. In a vacuum however, it's rote and expected nature makes it a mildly disappointing end to a very engaging experience. Square deserve praise for their efforts IMO.

Last edited: