Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

It's happening? A FFVII Remake is happening?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
I can't see why not? The overall game experience was great and the attention to details, combat gameplay, characters, writing and cutscenes direction were all pretty awesome if you ask me. And a game really has to have a decent director for all those elements to come together neatly.

People still act like the questionable ending was his decision alone, but there were enough interviews released confirming that it was a decision made on the whole production level, with Kitase at the helm. And it was in fact thanks to Nomura (and other team members, naturally) that all the old parts were recreated with such care.
Let me be clear, i'm not an Anti-Nomura, as a matter of fact, i'm a huge fan of Nomura. I'm just surprised that many people wanted Nomura to continue to direct!

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
To the remakes detriment, people have to wait for the remaining parts to release, which is going to take years more than likely. How much back end sells spike is up in the air. While FFXV at least had a start, middle, and end that could be consumed.

Also something to consider is that FFXV was a new experience as a whole, while the remake simply has new aspects to it the original did not.

So yeah I am not surprised FFXV sold better within a certain time frame. Maybe when the final part releases SE will do a full disc set bundle for X amount of money.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I thought FFVIIs release/post-release would have turned out bigger than it was.

- no patches or fun upgrades to keep interest.
- game is devoid of endgame content, is there even a single optional dungeon?
- limited and unimpressive exploration and side-quests.

Honestly, FFVIIs didn't feel like a lasting event. It didn't bring anything ambitious to the table. What it does well it does extremely well though, except for the major fuck ups in the story. But I expected more from a 20-year hyped project.

Vallen

Forest Owl
Mar 4, 2018
Of course people want Nomura/the same team to make part 2, since part 1 was amazing. The fact that Nomura was actually the one who wanted to keep the game as close to the original as possible and the new elements were pushed by others on the dev team, also boosts his credibility. If part 2 is the same style as part 1, I'll buy it day 1 again without a second of hesitation.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I thought FFVIIs release/post-release would have turned out bigger than it was.

- no patches or fun upgrades to keep interest.
- game is devoid of endgame content, is there even a single optional dungeon?
- limited and unimpressive exploration and side-quests.

Honestly, FFVIIs didn't feel like a lasting event. It didn't bring anything ambitious to the table. What it does well it does extremely well though, except for the major fuck ups in the story. But I expected more from a 20-year hyped project.
Even a simple patch allowing players to choose which segments to replay within chapters would have been enough to bypass the padded aspects.

As it stands they essentially left the game to collect dust, which is frustrating coming from FF7 of all things after how marketing went into the Remake.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
Based on Nomura's track record when he has directed and released it's usually after a year when he releases new content for a game. This was something he has done all the way back since the first Kingdom Hearts. It is weird that texture bug hasn't been fixed, but then again, COVID has made every industry grind to a halt. There could be a multitude of reasons why they haven't addressed it. If we do get an update on this game it will be when it gets released on other platforms (which would be the year marker.)

I think the mentality of not constantly updating a non MMO/ CO-OP game is not to undermine first day purchases. Honestly, what is the point of buying the game on day one if down the line there are 30+ updates on it throughout the year? What happened with FFXV was not normal and the only reason why it happened was because it was unfinished on release. Any company that participates on this model gets flack for it (looking at you Capcom).

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I think the mentality of not constantly updating a non MMO/ CO-OP game is not to undermine first day purchases. Honestly, what is the point of buying the game on day one if down the line there are 30+ updates on it throughout the year?
For starter, to get to play it as soon as it's available, what do you get from waiting over getting day one?

Feb 19, 2018
Did KH remain consistent with itself? Lol

regardless, I agree with you.
Lol I'd say it remained consistently inconsistent if anything. Still though I can look at it and expect Nomura's style of doing things all the way through so at it's core it's still one man's vision regardless of how convoluted and twisted that vision is and I can move on with my life after deciding whether I like it or not. My point isn't to argue the quality of the project though, just saying that I'd rather see one person or group's vision through to the end than deal with a patchwork of many different visions that leaves me disappointed by not committing to anything it does 100%. Even though I love the game to bits FFXV is a huge example of this. You can see the vestiges of previous ideas and the beginnings of new ones starting to blossom but ultimately you're left hanging in the middle in a sort of creative purgatory without seeing either vision fully realized.

That being said he's got Nojima and Kitase working on this with him and from what I've read the new stuff is largely their doing but regardless of who is adding the new stuff I'd prefer it if they stick with this vision and see it all the way through to end. Whether I end up hating or loving it I'll at least be satisfied with the fact that it is the one definitive version of itself and that there isn't a potential second or third vision for it floating out there if the team gets replaced. When this project ends I wanna be able to close the books on it and move on without the "what-if?" questions lingering in my mind.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
For starter, to get to play it as soon as it's available, what do you get from waiting over getting day one?
Sorry that wasn't clear. From a business standpoint they (Square) wants you to buy as soon as possible. If a game is constantly getting updated there is a less likely chance you'll have a consumer buy within the time period before it's marked down.

SerjAngelo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 28, 2017
what do you get from waiting over getting day one?
Tbh, if I knew the Royal Edition was coming and there would be THAT much of a difference between that and the initial release, I'd rather waited 2 more years and not had that bad aftertaste XV left after the vanilla release.
I legitimately envy people who started the game with that version.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Tbh, if I knew the Royal Edition was coming and there would be THAT much of a difference between that and the initial release, I'd rather waited 2 more years and not had that bad aftertaste XV left after the vanilla release.
I legitimately envy people who started the game with that version.
Why do you have such a bad after taste. Imagine this possibility. If the day one sales failed to meet expectations, support would have ended for the game much sooner than it did. Therefore some of the issues people had with the game would have never been addressed in the first place. Content that some people would have liked in general would have never been created/released. Sure, the people that mock the day one buyers did indeed get a more definitive and polished experience (partly influenced by feedback btw). However, the early buyers are who made the waiting worthwhile for the latecomers. *I'm one of the people that got a day one ultimate version with the Noctis figure and what not, so personally I'm not even mad.*

It's like those track meets where a team of runners pass of the batoon to the next person. You needed those prior people do do their part, so the final person could be able to even finish.

SerjAngelo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 28, 2017
Why do you have such a bad after taste.
Various reasons. For the most part the fact that I was religiously following this game since conception, pre-ordered a mediocre portable game to play its first demo, was constantly experimenting with gameplay, trying to defend it from nay-sayers on the forums and overall had high hopes for it all throughout to the launch. And just to be met with tons of cut content both gameplay and story wise, multiple bugs, lack of quality of life features (hi inability to change time of day, no waymarkers being visible when HUD was turned off and only 1 active hunt being available, to name a few) and disappointing progression - like no proper reward for collecting all Armiger weapons (which were 99% mediocre compared to basic sword/polearm/greatsword combo), barely any offensive abilities upgrades or a single ONE-TIME-USE-ONLY item reward from clearing all the Menace dungeon.

Honestly, the only 2 times I had LEGIT fun in XV at launch is Ifrit boss fight and Pitioss dungeon.

But it's not a XV thread, so I won't be writing a wall-long post (almost did anyway) about all the stuff that infuriated me when the game launched.

However, the early buyers are who made the waiting worthwhile for the latecomers.
And that's a good thing how? Why do I have provide OTHER people a better first impression of the game that I'VE been looking forward to for so long at the cost of my own?
So SE pretty much robbed people who were their main supporters just to buy themselves some time and give a more definitive initial experience and cash-to-game value to players who weren't even that interested. It's a scumbag tactics, no matter how you look at it.
I have no blame for the XV's developers, mind you, as they did as much as they could within the time frame given to them, but I sincerely hope no other game in FF or any other Square's franchises follows XV's steps in that regard.
P.s. I also got day one Deluxe Edition, the Ultimate one didn't even ship to my country, I was mad.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
I'm wondering if they're waiting until next April when the exclusivity deal with PlayStation runs out before they add any sort of content or even patch the textures for the game so that it can all be done in one fell swoop. It's kinda weird how the game just sort of blipped out of existence on Square's part after the initial fanfare following release. The stuff they're doing with it now with all side gimmicks and merch is giving me the same vibes as when FFXV was winding down it's post launch support after a good 2-3 years of being promoted by Square so it all just seems really bizarre to me given that FFVIIR has gone all but quiet only 6 months after its release.

LogicalFal'cie

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 8, 2015
U.K
This is how most well recieved single player games go though. Couple of months of conversation before the majority players and journalists move onto the next big tentpole release. Unless your game redefines a genre or recieves a very mixed or negative reception that's usually about all you've ever gotten. XV was Square's attempt at a modern GAAS game. (If you're feeling incredibly kind.) Hence with frequent updates and premiem content kept it in the news cycle for a longer period than a more tradional release.

Feb 19, 2018
This is how most well recieved single player games go though. Couple of months of conversation before the majority players and journalists move onto the next big tentpole release. Unless your game redefines a genre or recieves a very mixed or negative reception that's usually about all you've ever gotten. XV was Square's attempt at a modern GAAS game. (If you're feeling incredibly kind.) Hence with frequent updates and premiem content kept it in the news cycle for a longer period than a more tradional release.
I mean I wasn't expecting it to be the center of attention even now, just thought Square would at least be making small nods towards it every now and then. I guess I just expected at least one or two small updates like texture fixes or even something like a costume or two. Just little things like that instead of total silence. Oh well, it's not a big issue for me, it's just something I thought would have been nice but I suppose they're probably fully focused on part 2 at this point anyway.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
Tifa Chapter Cut

There's more details on the Tifa chapter that was cut.

I feel like, based on Nomura's history, that there is going to be a "Final Mix" Version of FFVII Remake for relaunch to incentivize sales on multi platform, if not this then a DLC piece meal like FFXV (hopefully not). I'm leaning more towards a Final Mix just because how it immediately FFVII went silent, similar to how KH3 did. Also, the year release date mark is in 6 months, Square is likely going to announce the expanded platforms and it's possible extras within the next couple of months.

The only DLCs I can imagine/ make sense to me:

Tifa Chapter : After 2nd Bombing Mission to Don Corneo. (I think this is more of a possibility, both Jessie's and Tifa's VA have been recording in the same studio recently and posted pictures.) Also I found it strange that it was suggested Rude had feelings for Tifa in the pillar collapse. I feel like they will have him as a boss for Tifa's chapter.
Epilogue: Playable Red XIII Midgar to Kalm, possible introduction or hinting of Yuffie.

Extras could be a
-7th weapon for Barrett, Cloud, Tifa & Aerith along with a skill. (there is an empty slot in the menu)
-Materia: Ramuh, Maybe another Enemy Skill that can be learned, maybe another independent materia, like a "No EXP" for insane Level 1 runs (That might not be possible due to how vicious the AI is).
-Texture, Dynamics, and Lighting Upgrade for New Gen & Windows. FFXV did this too, especially relighting a good chunk of scenes for the Royal and Windows Edition.