Final Fantasy XIV - General News and Discussion Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
After a few days of playing the trial I'm warming up to FFXIV. The combat got a bit better once I unlocked more skills but it's still not very interesting. The quests are typical MMO stuff but I have to admit that, as opposed to other MMOs out there, they at least aren't very obnoxious (no super low drop rates or high kill requirements). But these are not what's making me consider getting the full version. What I'm falling in love with is the world of Eorzea itself. Beautiful, imaginative, accompanied by lovely music, the FFXIV team crafted something really amazing.It just feels so... FF.

I want to explore all of it.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
After a few days of playing the trial I'm warming up to FFXIV. The combat got a bit better once I unlocked more skills but it's still not very interesting. The quests are typical MMO stuff but I have to admit that, as opposed to other MMOs out there, they at least aren't very obnoxious (no super low drop rates or high kill requirements). But these are not what's making me consider getting the full version. What I'm falling in love with is the world of Eorzea itself. Beautiful, imaginative, accompanied by lovely music, the FFXIV team crafted something really amazing.It just feels so... FF.

I want to explore all of it.
the world is one of the main reasons i keep coming back, indeed.

about the quests, a realm reborn have a lot of fetch missions between main story quests but they adressed this in the expansion, which have less filler.

the combat system shows its true potential when you get your full arsenal of skills and fight the hardest bosses,
XIV provided me with ones of the most memorable fights in the series (Titan HM, EX, for example), i think you won't be dissapointed.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
fan festival interview with soken and uematsu

http://gamerescape.com/2017/02/19/when-musicians-collide-nobuo-uematsu-masayoshi-soken-recap/
Masayoshi Soken: There are some game designers – not very knowledgeable about music – they’ll come to me with an order like, “I need Generic Boss 1 music”.

Nobuo Uematsu: But sometimes they will also be too specific. Not on Final Fantasy, but sometimes I will get something like, “Please write me some music that sounds like John Williams.” I’m not John Williams, if you want John Williams, ask John Williams!
lmfao, the interview is quite funny

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
I'm excited that there is finally a sword class DPS in the ranks... but I hope there's a bit more to Samurai;; I found Samurai a bit lacking in the visual department... maybe that's what they were going for (like a classy silent ronin), but it did lack that flare Red Mage had. I will probably end up playing both anyways though, my Bard main might be teetering on edge of losing it's position come this summer...

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
First review is up:

https://www.destructoid.com/review-final-fantasy-xiv-stormblood-442923.phtml

"Stormblood feels even more iterative when it comes to storytelling. The team over at Square Enix have it down, and I'm not just talking about silly sidequest names (but those are still very important). There's more at stake in this expansion, and the losses along the way feel more poignant. Random first-person shooter minigames also break up the monotony of "go kill these" types of MMO roteness, augmented by said narrative that ultimately feels like playing a real numbered Final Fantasy game (that tops several core entries to boot)"

9/10

Last edited:

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Yeah let's forget about the DDoS attacks going on with the NA servers.

Here on JP servers, there are no issues whatsoever. It's a huge improvement from last years launch.

So yeah, take your troll a$$ and shove it up in a ditch.
Damn, I haven't seen you that triggered since..ever. I don't know if I should laugh or be afraid...

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xivs-director-says-theres-still-so-much-m-1796345981

"When I asked what else Yoshida had left to accomplish, he pointed to the story, a highlight of Final Fantasy XIV. The intricate, ongoing plot is the main reason the fourteenth Final Fantasy is so appealing to those of us who don’t love MMOs, and it’s one thing that Yoshida wants to complete before he ever thinks about retiring. “There’s this overarching story, and I’ve actually set a goal or endpoint for that arc,” said Yoshida. “That’s one of the things I want to accomplish is to be able to finish that narrative.”

“How long will that be?” I asked.

“I think we’d need at least another two more expansions,” Yoshida said"

"On the inevitable Final Fantasy XV crossover:

Yoshida: Plans for these are moving forward. The Final Fantasy XV team has settled down on their end. We feel that it’s going to be rather hefty in volume in terms of this crossover. Once we are able to get some visual references, some graphics available, and when we decide on timing, we’ll make sure to make an official announcement."