Final Fantasy XV Demo Presentation by Tabata

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
I remember reading you had to hold down the attack button and it would go on by itself. That's a bit silly and I hope you can turn it off, but it doesn't seem to be a big issue.

At it's base, it looks like a refined KH game, though.

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
It's offical. Development swithced on Lumionus Engine. So was that why the dude who made it left. I guess my assumption was right. Well XV on disc should be 80% of what that footage shows as stated by Taba. still things are being fixed

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
I remember reading you had to hold down the attack button and it would go on by itself. That's a bit silly and I hope you can turn it off, but it doesn't seem to be a big issue.

At it's base, it looks like a refined KH game, though.
Yes it's called Defend Action. You can see it in the footage when the Goblins come at Noc with poison. Noc swirls around one then the second another comes at you time it to do the action again. I assume you still have control over the analog stick because it looks like someone is choosing him where to move while he does it. The Defend Action looks very brief, but chainable. Reminds me of Devil May Cry's nonestop combat but with a RPG scheme. Yes it's also very Kingdom Heartsish because Nomura's best experience in gameplay is Kingdom Hearts, so he took those ideas and made them anew for something faster and more graphic in combat style, something rated E games can't do.

Sep 26, 2013
Looks really, really lovely. The tech looks impressive, and the game seems to run incredibly smoothly, no doubt the result of somebody like Tabata, who is more focused on tech than Nomura would ever be.

Flip side: the look of the combat has me worried. Looks fine, but isn't my cup of tea (neither was KH, really.)
My worry is that it will be a repetitive button masher like KHII was. Hopefully they break it up and disguise it.

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'm still not sold on the new HUD, nor the command interface. They've managed to leave many questions unanswered, such as the existence of MP and how the various weapons are now summoned. As Zonerunner said, concerns about combat and gameplay as a whole have emerged from this showing of the game.

While Noctis does bring out his "Drive Blade", a dagger, greatsword, and a spear, there's no apparent separate interface for this. Magic seems to be devastating and without limits, effectively simplifying the game. Combination attacks seem to be a major mechanic of combat, as they occupy the 2 lower command slots during this demo.

Warping isn't as flashy as it was last year. The modern cityscape, while comparable to Lucis in construction, is entirely different than the gothic, royal citadel from E3 '13 - most notably being much smaller and condensed.

This may have been a mere demo with few actual aspects of the game instanced, but it's relatively concerning.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
It's offical. Development swithced on Lumionus Engine. So was that why the dude who made it left. I guess my assumption was right. Well XV on disc should be 80% of what that footage shows as stated by Taba. still things are being fixed
So the game has abandoned its custom engine completely now?

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
I'm still not sold on the new HUD, nor the command interface. They've managed to leave many questions unanswered, such as the existence of MP and how the various weapons are now summoned. As Zonerunner said, concerns about combat and gameplay as a whole have emerged from this showing of the game.

While Noctis does bring out his "Drive Blade", a dagger, greatsword, and a spear, there's no apparent separate interface for this. Magic seems to be devastating and without limits, effectively simplifying the game. Combination attacks seem to be a major mechanic of combat, as they occupy the 2 lower command slots during this demo.

Warping isn't as flashy as it was last year. The modern cityscape, while comparable to Lucis in construction, is entirely different than the gothic, royal citadel from E3 '13 - most notably being much smaller and condensed.

This may have been a mere demo with few actual aspects of the game instanced, but it's relatively concerning.
The HUD is clearly incomplete. Give it time.

I don't see how warping isn't as flashy... they haven't displayed short warp or moving around, but at one point they were seemingly moving the crosshair around to warp. And the city you're talking about being Accordo? Well, yeah they aren't using that for this tech demo. Refer back to the gameplay trailer at E3. Same location.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
what do you mean by this?
He's not right anyways, I already described what happens with the command menu earlier in this thread, multiple things that he described are off as well... as this was a sped up demo because of time constraints, they even said that the area was essentially the same as what we saw at E3 (indicating that it was a condensed version likely).

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Now that they've shown a lot of weapons, locales, a car and some of the cast I wonder what they're saving for Jump Festa.
Yall know what I wanna see, but maybe that stuff would be consider spoilers even the Limit breaks.
I can see I heavy amount of effort has been put to this game. I sometimes fear that with the way the industry is changing and how FFs have been going this long that maybe this or 16 could be the last FF. I know everything has to end sometime, and now that they've reached these heights in tech and presentation, maybe they'll see this as a good stopping point and start a new series of RPGs or move on to a new genre.
I don't want this but I really can't see them shooting up any higher than this in a market that smiles more on cheaper made games that are pumped out often than masterpieces that take 5+ years to make.

Regardless, it was a damn good tech demo and trailer from Type-0 and this. I'm satisfied and I know what they do with this game is gonna be another great moment to remember.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I've read some comments that have made me feel uneasy about the combat... hope they are not true. Hold down the attack button for them to attack continuously? No thanks. And while it's disappointing it isn't as flashy as last year, it still looks very fluid and fun to play.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
I've read some comments that have made me feel uneasy about the combat... hope they are not true. Hold down the attack button for them to attack continuously? No thanks. And while it's disappointing it isn't as flashy as last year, it still looks very fluid and fun to play.
I think the problem with this is, people are jumping the gun and thinking you can't string attacks manually by pressing it instead. Which seems silly because Tabata very much sounded like he was saying its optional. This was in Type-0 and wasn't a hindrance.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I think the problem with this is, people are jumping the gun and thinking you can't string attacks manually by pressing it instead. Which seems silly because Tabata very much sounded like he was saying its optional. This was in Type-0 and wasn't a hindrance.
Yeah it's optional. For new comers, hold it down. Or Hold it if foes are ultra weaker than you and you're just back tracking thru a dungeon. But otherwise, they'll be plenty of customizing weapons, armor, magic, elemental weaknesses. No way, holding buttons will be the be all end all of the battle system. That would overly simplify a world that looks as vast as Infamous Second Son. All these areas, all these things around you, all these options (weapons, magic, summoning, skills) and all you need to do is hold a button? I don't think so. They want a dark Kingdom Hearts spliced with Advent Children like epic action. You can't get that auto attacking all the time.

EDIT:
Even in FF13 and 13-2 I never auto-attacked unless I was still figuring out a tactic to use and in what order to drop foes.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2014
Miami
Question: Does the characters have access to all of their weapons during battle? Or will a set amount be available to us? I was wondering if you'd have to choose like 4 weapons & have them placed in the queue in the menu screen before battle. Perhaps weapon swapping during battle will be mapped to the D-Pad or something like that.