Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Hey, can anyone help translate this video interview from when Tabata was at Barcelona World Games? It's got some titbits in it about aspects of the game Western journalists haven't been touching upon. It's even got Tabata directly answering a question about its connection to FNC at around the eight-minute mark. I don't understand Spanish, so can someone please help with this?

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
seems like tabata said the Versus XIII clothes won't be in the main game but if the demand is high they will be included later.

there's a lot of interesting questions in the interview, but it's in spanish and i can't understand much.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2016
Hi everybody, it's my first post here so I took the liberty to translate the interview in spanish. :) Sorry for my poor english.

Q: Will FFXV be coming to PCs? Also, what about the PS4Pro version of the game, the improvements will consist only in 4K and HDR or there’ll be modes/configurations for the player to choose how the game looks?

HT: About the PC we’re focusing all our efforts into the console versions of the game. So we’re not looking into it right now to be honest. Making a PC version of the game would mean we’d have to readjust a lot of stuff and concentrate solely on developing it, even though the development team has shown interest in getting a PC version out at some point. About the PS4PRO, it’s basically the same thing about the PC – if we wanted to take full advantage of the new hardware that would mean putting in much effort and time to make the game look and run better…and time is something we don’t have right now neither we had foreseen the PS4Pro existence before. In the future, with some dedication and time maybe we can get a PS4Pro version of the game that can take advantage of the systems capabilities. But as of right now the game has maxed out the PS4 horsepower.

Q: The clothes Noctis wore in the first Final Fantasy Versus XIII teaser will be available in FFXV?

HT: There are no plans for something like that mostly because this is not FFVXIII. Of course if there’s a lot of people wanting and demanding it we’d be open to study the possibility.

Q: After we finish the game can we replay it to see “secondary stuff” (I think he means things and places we can’t access or see on our first playthrough)? Also, it’ll be possible to play as old Noctis and the bros?

HT: Sure, after you finish the game we’ll be able to keep on playing and exploring the world after the main quest. About the other question if you’re meaning you want to keep all the experience and levels you gained during the first play through that option won’t be possible on the base version of the game, maybe we can add something like that through DLC.

Q: I wasn’t referring about that actually. I wanted to know if when we start a New Game+ it’ll be possible to play as young party (normal Noctis and the bros) or old Noctis and co. (old Noctis and the bros).

HT: Oh, I’d rather not answer that. I actually want people to find out for themselves. Don’t want to give spoilers.

Q: Which past versions of the FF franchise has inspired them throughout the development of FFXV? There’re other games references and the development team took as inspiration?

HT: First on the artistic side, mainly the monsters, they’re all inspired by artworks made by Yoshitaka Amano which he made for the classic Final Fantasy series. So we wanted that monster style to give the world a FF saga vibe. About the gameplay and overall I took inspiration from FFV but FFXV has its own originalities and innovations.

Q: What are the differences between the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game?

HT: In terms of content they’re basically the same game. Technically they’re different pieces of hardware so be most significant difference is about the resolution maybe. They both run at dynamic resolution and to be more specific the Xbox One version is a little low on the resolution side but overall we’re taking full advantage of each piece of hardware has to offer. Players of both versions will be satisfied.

Q: What’s the link between FFXV and Fabula Nova Crystallis if there’s still any, of course. After so much time has passed and with the projects changes it seemed you had troubles fitting the concepts of FNX into Noctis story.

HT: We didn’t take the FNC too much into account when developing FFXV mostly because the world of FFXIII and FFXV are completely different. And I think with each FF title people want stories that can be experienced on its own without much background knowledge or something like that so keeping the FNC myth from FFXIII onto FFXV wouldn’t be a very good idea.

Q: At any point in FFXV development you guys thought about a Co-Op mode? Can that be coming in the future?

HT: It was developed as a single-player experience. If people really want something like that we can definitely consider. It’s very tough to convert a single-player game that was designed as such to a multiplayer game. Even though the possibilities aren’t 0% it’s complicated, let’s not discard it for the future.

Q: Do you think this FF will be valued and treasured as much as the old FFs that everyone loves so much?

HT: It’s up to the players to decide if FFXV will be one of the greats. What I can say is that we had work so hard to make a game that the fans can enjoy and like, we want them to feel like it’s a beautiful FF game. We gave it our all and hope the fans will be satisfied in the end.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Thank you hugely for the translation, Lolost

Q: What’s the link between FFXV and Fabula Nova Crystallis if there’s still any, of course. After so much time has passed and with the projects changes it seemed you had troubles fitting the concepts of FNX into Noctis story.

HT: We didn’t take the FNC too much into account when developing FFXV mostly because the world of FFXIII and FFXV are completely different. And I think with each FF title people want stories that can be experienced on its own without much background knowledge or something like that so keeping the FNC myth from FFXIII onto FFXV wouldn’t be a very good idea.
The answer fits in with other statements from FFDream, GameSpot, Game Informer, Famitsu ect over the past year or so. It's in there, just as an unemphasized background element.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
http://legiondejugadores.com/entrevista-a-hajime-tabata-en-barcelona-games-world/

"-¿Por qué se eliminó FINAL FANTASY XV de FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS?
El objetivo era que quienes no conocían FINAL FANTASY también pudieran jugar sin saber nada previamente. Por tanto, mantener el título dentro de la compilación implicaba presuponer un conocimiento previo al usuario, que no necesariamente tiene que tener.

-Sin embargo, en la demo PLATINUM, hemos encontrado unas referencias a FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS. ¿Son vestigios o guiños a su antigua compilación?
Efectivamente, hay elementos de la compilación, pero decir que FINAL FANTASY XV pertenece a ella contradiría la política del título en el sentido de poder crear algo nuevo que permita a todos los jugadores engancharse sin conocimientos previos. Por tanto, son simplemente referencias. FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS, en la que también he trabajado, se anunció en 2006. La idea era una serie dentro de la que ir lanzando títulos. No obstante, no se pudo seguir el ritmo previsto y, por tanto, se tomó la decisión de que FINAL FANTASY XV fuera un juego totalmente nuevo. Fue un asunto complicado, pero hubo que tomar una decisión al respecto."

tabata here confirms "there are, effectively, elements of the compilation in FFXV", but to promote the game as a part of that compilation would be to go against the idea of the title, they don't want ppl to think they need previous knowledge of the FNC to understand the plot... it's a marketing move.

edit: he says it's only "references", but i personally think it's more than that, they just don't want to give the wrong impression.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
edit: he says it's only "references", but i personally think it's more than that, they just don't want to give the wrong impression.
Yeah. They said it just just retained "design elements" at Pax Prime, said it existed as a "base" for the world of XV to Famitsu, and explained how they handled it in some detail to Finaland. They really haven't gone about it in a consistent way, but I can understand them wanting to distance XV from the FNC brand while keeping the lore as a working base for their work.

Edit: The Game Informer article even states that the decision goes all the way back to 2013/2014, so it's not like they've only just decided to do this. Thinking about it, they've never actively associated FNC with XV since the big re-reveal in 2014. It's just been mentioned maybe half a dozen times (if that) in over thirty+ different interviews.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
So Tabata says that not many improvements are planned for the Pro version. That's disappointing but as long as I can at least downsample from a higher resolution for cleaner IQ and there is some performance increase then I'm happy.

Edit: he could mean that there would not be drastic changes like increased asset quality. But we can expect higher resolution, better performance, increased LOD etc.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
"-¿Por qué se eliminó FINAL FANTASY XV de FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS?
El objetivo era que quienes no conocían FINAL FANTASY también pudieran jugar sin saber nada previamente. Por tanto, mantener el título dentro de la compilación implicaba presuponer un conocimiento previo al usuario, que no necesariamente tiene que tener.

-Sin embargo, en la demo PLATINUM, hemos encontrado unas referencias a FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS. ¿Son vestigios o guiños a su antigua compilación?
Efectivamente, hay elementos de la compilación, pero decir que FINAL FANTASY XV pertenece a ella contradiría la política del título en el sentido de poder crear algo nuevo que permita a todos los jugadores engancharse sin conocimientos previos. Por tanto, son simplemente referencias. FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS, en la que también he trabajado, se anunció en 2006. La idea era una serie dentro de la que ir lanzando títulos. No obstante, no se pudo seguir el ritmo previsto y, por tanto, se tomó la decisión de que FINAL FANTASY XV fuera un juego totalmente nuevo. Fue un asunto complicado, pero hubo que tomar una decisión al respecto."
"-Why did you remove FINFAL FANTASY XV from FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS?
The main goal was that people who didn't know FINAL FANTASY could also play the game without previous knowledge. Which is why keeping the title as part of the compilation implied the user had previous knowledge, which they wouldn't necessarily have.

-However, in the PLATINUM demo, we found some references to FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS. Are those vestiges or winks(?) to the old compilation?
There are elements from the compilation, but to say FINAL FANTASY XV belongs to it would go against the title's policy, in the sense that we created something new that would allow all players to get engaged in the title without previous knowledge. That's why they're only references. FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS, where I also worked in, was announced in 2006. The idea was a self contained series from where we could launch titles. However, we couldn't keep up with the rhythm we expected, so we took the decision that FINAL FANTASY XV would be a completely new game. It was a complicated issue, but we had to make a decision about it."

There, sorry for the rough job at the translation.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
So Tabata says that not many improvements are planned for the Pro version.
I'm personally not surprised. They're wanting to deliver an even and high quality experience across platforms. Heck, they even delayed the game by an extra month or two so they didn't have to give people a huge day-one patch, which I think is wonderful.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
I'm personally not surprised. They're wanting to deliver an even and high quality experience across platforms. Heck, they even delayed the game by an extra month or two so they didn't have to give people a huge day-one patch, which I think is wonderful.
Rereading it I think he means more drastic improvements would not be made. Like what he said about almost redoing the games if they release it on PC.

I think I can still expect improvements in IQ, performance and LOD increase.

Oct 4, 2013
I will apply a bit od devil´s advocate:

While we say that the players in this videos are bad/not playing well, it might be a side effect of the game not being "punishing/challenging" enough to force the player in playing better, while in many videos we see them playing in uneffective ways (finishing slower, not warping a lot, not changing weapons, not using magic, wasting lots of items, etc) at the end of the day they still manage to win battles with said uneffective methods. If I had to compare it to something it would be like the same problem Kingdom Hearts II combat had, albeit (IMO) XV would have this problem in a much lesser degree than it was in KHII.
I don't like the idea of "forcing" the player to play well. It is often leads to play on a fixed approach with every fight and greatly limits combat potential.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Finally caught up. Man, I'm so glad everything seems to be going so well for the game: 15 hours is quite a big chunk of the game, so this is super encouraging.

And yeah, hopefully we can use the older skins in NG+ and during a considerable amount of time in the story, or I'll riot. You don't tease me with a great (old Noct) and noticeably improved designs (the rest) just to do that, Tabby.

Also, both the translator and the interviewer are so bad even when speaking their mother tongue :/

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
It would be nice. I'm also wondering if the older versions have something to do with the character-specific DLC they're planning.
Yeah! I actually had thought that maybe the DLC is about the timeskip (it'd be cool if the passage of time was organic, but I think it'll just be a jump in time).

Maybe what they've been doing during those ten years: training to get stronger, how they got their KG outfits... I mean, Ignis uses a cane in the train, so I'm assuming he didn't acquire Daredevil-tier powers on the spot. Although that might be the glasses, so I guess we could see him first getting used to them (I'm betting on them being made by Cid through Niff technology).
https://twitter.com/Fotmhero1030/status/789829587912056832

Huh? What else, holy fuck. I hope for Old Noctis gameplay, b-but i really need to avoid it. Enough is enough.
To be honest I would love it because I don't really care that much about spoilers (well, not about them showing Old Noctis in action, anyways), but I kinda doubt it.

I really don't know what it could be... Maybe a glimpse of a scene that people thought was scrapped (definitely not the escape from Lucis, but something similar?)?

Actually, I think it could be Leviathan. Scratch that, that's my bet :happymog:.

EDIT: it could be nothing more than wording the event as good to get people pumped, mind you.

Last edited: