Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Leopold_Bloom

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 22, 2015
Or maybe you can recruit two guests at a time. One guest might come from the main story arc, the other might come from a side arc.
Could be anything, really. Maybe they just though 4 stables looked a little too convenient.

On another note, I just noticed that, at night, moths are attracted to lights. Love thee little touches.

Sep 26, 2013
Just responding to this post with a few clarifications as I understand them.

Ignis for example has the ability "Cure" which isn't bound to his weapon in any way, which you could argue might not be a technique at all, but rather an ability. Then you have Gladio and Prompto who both have one ability/technique that they use which you might say is weapon bound. I don't think this is the case however, considering these guys can only have one weapon at a time, it would make their versatility in combat extremely limited. I'm going to assume that characters have weapon skills as well as character bound abilities, perhaps similar to Type-0 in execution.
Cure is undoubtedly magic, which we know is in the game and can be used by Noctis' comrades. The magic system is a mystery at the moment. As for Prompto and Glad, Wan and Sun confirmed that the abilities they have are indeed abilities that are tied to the specific weapons they wield in that presentation where the chocobo post was first revealed. However, I wouldn't worry, as I'd bet in the final game when we can customize group gear Noctis' companions will probably be able to switch weapons as he does.

It doesn't make sense to me to only gain abilities through weapons, the window in the level up screen wouldn't make any sense at all if they were only tied to weapons. Some character growth in terms of your abilities needs to happen, and of course it wouldn't make sense to gain abilities based on what weapon you have equipped, because then that would suggest your weapon needs to level up? The weapons have tiers on them already, indicating what rank they are in strengths against each other. The ability description for the weaker lance (forgot the name) in the Japanese text basically says that it's a weak spear but makes up for it with the critical hit rate boost. To me, this suggests that the tiers are essentially a way to classify a weapon's rank against other weapons, not a means to increase its performance.
If I'm not mistaken, the techniques listed there could very well be the co-op techniques as I recall Tabata mentioning you learn new ones in the camp screen. A scan you yourself translated also seems to suggest using materials in this screen, so I wouldn't be shocked if it was also a weapon skill upgrading station or a place where you can "teach" weapons new passive abilities or even active abilities as a means of customization.

We have yet to see Noctis execute moves shown in the E3 demo like dodge roll or the polearm/spear spin, nor have we seen moves like jumping over enemies or slamming them into car doors or other obstructions. Tabata did say that everything in the E3 demo besides characters switching will be in the game, and while perhaps things like car door slamming is contextual to the environment, certainly the polearm/spear spin move and dodge rolling is something that isn't contextual to an environment.

tl;dr - We wouldn't have a techniques window in the level up screen if all we had was weapon skills.
I'm pretty sure Noctis' dodge roll has been baked into the guard system currently in place, though contextual options against foes are definitely still missing. The polearm/spear spin could easily be a simple attack or even a weapon ability.

That said, we still don't have access to quite a few screens as it is. We don't know where magic will be located, where summoning will be located, how things like co-op techniques and gambits will be allocated etc. There's plenty of room for some other form of ability system. The phantom swords already seem to fill this niche in some ways as well, as their description states that they grant Noctis even his basic warp ability.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Cure is undoubtedly magic, which we know is in the game and can be used by Noctis' comrades. The magic system is a mystery at the moment. As for Prompto and Glad, Wan and Sun confirmed that the abilities they have are indeed abilities that are tied to the specific weapons they wield in that presentation where the chocobo post was first revealed. However, I wouldn't worry, as I'd bet in the final game when we can customize group gear Noctis' companions will probably be able to switch weapons as he does.
Yes, magic is to be tied with your party members to some degree. I did just see the part of the video again, it seems that your party members abilities are tied to their weapons. However, they won't be able to switch weapons on the fly. Noctis has always been the weapon summoner who can switch between many weapons, while the rest of the party members only have one weapon. You can see in the past CG trailers when Niflheim that the people from Lucis Kingdom only have one floating sword each pointed at all of the Niflheim members, where as Noctis has always shown to have multiple weapons pointed at the cloaked man at once. This is part of Noct's abilities to summon multiple weapons at once, the party members will have to be limited in combat with one ability if the weapons are the only source of abilities in the game.

If I'm not mistaken, the techniques listed there could very well be the co-op techniques as I recall Tabata mentioning you learn new ones in the camp screen. A scan you yourself translated also seems to suggest using materials in this screen, so I wouldn't be shocked if it was also a weapon skill upgrading station or a place where you can "teach" weapons new passive abilities or even active abilities as a means of customization.
The scan I translated with materials was a rough translation, I don't know Japanese, so I wouldn't take my word for it on what that actually says. I don't see why you would need to teach a weapon a skill when the weapons are ranked and their descriptions tell you the passive abilities that already exist on the weapon. The Blood Sword's description tells you that it makes up for its low damage with HP and MP absorption. If this was a passive ability that had to be learned, it wouldn't make any sense for the weapon to have this text. I don't think we will see any weapon growth at all, it just doesn't make sense. Level up a weapon only to replace it down the line when you get something better?

I'm pretty sure Noctis' dodge roll has been baked into the guard system currently in place, though contextual options against foes are definitely still missing. The polearm/spear spin could easily be a simple attack or even a weapon ability.

That said, we still don't have access to quite a few screens as it is. We don't know where magic will be located, where summoning will be located, how things like co-op techniques and gambits will be allocated etc. There's plenty of room for some other form of ability system. The phantom swords already seem to fill this niche in some ways as well, as their description states that they grant Noctis even his basic warp ability.
How would you execute a dodge roll currently with the system in place? It doesn't make sense, it has to be something that can be turned on and off. As for the spin move, it didn't look like the abilities we've seen from the demo at all, and was too flashy to be part of an attack string. I don't believe the Phantom Swords fill this niche because they are very limited in what you could actually do with them. There are only so many Phantom Swords in the game, and the spacing in which you would get these weapons would be so spread apart compared to just getting a new ability outright.

I see no reason why not to include a system of gaining abilities outside of weapons considering Type-0 has done this, as well as Kingdom Hearts. Having character growth with gaining new abilities is important in an action RPG in my opinion, only being able to gain abilities by weapons seems extremely limited, and while I understand powerful abilities like the weapon abilities should be limited in combat, I feel that less effective abilities should be able to be learned.

Who knows, maybe they won't have something like this, but I hope they do as the current system alone lacks when it comes to combat versatility. I don't see how only adding co-op attacks with magic and summons takes up 50% of the battle system, so I'd like to see what makes up the rest of the battle system that we don't have in the demo.

Leopold_Bloom

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 22, 2015
As per teammates being limited to one weapon; perhaps a similar system to FFIX may be implemented. Eg gaining enough exp with Prompto's current gun will gain him Bullet Bind indefinitely.

Cadet

Yevonite
Jan 16, 2015
Duscae Region
A few tidbits concerning XV from a PlayStation HK interview with Tabata:

• In Episode Duscae, when your HP hits 0, the summon is available for use. This isn't fixed, and user feedback will contribute to how the final game's system will be implemented.
• The "power of the stars" (i.e. summoning, and other abilities most likely) plays an important role in XV.
• XIII, Type-0, and XV's stories are not directly connected to one another, but those who do some research will find similarities, with regard to the FNC mythology.
• In regard to the open world nature of the game, Tabata reveals that XV's development has been rather difficult.
• The team is looking into the possibility of taking photos in game. Tabata's not sure whether the player will be allowed to do so yet. In XV's party, there's actually one person whose hobby is photography. Tabata won't say who.
• The dog/cat cam view is still being considered. After development of the game is mostly finished, if the team has time, they will add this in. If not, Tabata may think of other ways to include this feature.
• Fast-paced battles like the one we saw in the E3 trailer will be limited to certain locations and events. XV will have battles that take place at various speeds ranging from "slow" to "fast." The speed in Episode Duscae is "regular." Tabata points out that if all battles were as fast-paced as the one in the E3 trailer, then Noctis wouldn't really need his friends. Cooperation with party members is critical and goes along with the "bonds" theme of the game.

Lastly, Tabata asks us not to think of Episode Duscae as a finished product. There's much more to be seen from the full game. So please stay tuned and stay excited!

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
• In regard to the open world nature of the game, Tabata reveals that XV's development has been rather difficult.
Yeah, that's surprising.
• Fast-paced battles like the one we saw in the E3 trailer will be limited to certain locations and events. XV will have battles that take place at various speeds ranging from "slow" to "fast." The speed in Episode Duscae is "regular." Tabata points out that if all battles were as fast-paced as the one in the E3 trailer, then Noctis wouldn't really need his friends. Cooperation with party members is critical and goes along with the "bonds" theme of the game.
I'm not sure I get how it's supposed to work. Are fast paced battles going to be more like scripted events?
• The team is looking into the possibility of taking photos in game. Tabata's not sure whether the player will be allowed to do so yet. In XV's party, there's actually one person whose hobby is photography. Tabata won't say who.
I'd love some side quests about taking photos of stuff. I'm right now replaying Beyond Good&Evil and I just love the photography aspect in this game. Now that I think of it taking photos of animals could be an interesting quest in FFXV considering how detailed the environments are supposed to be.

Cadet

Yevonite
Jan 16, 2015
Duscae Region
I'm not sure I get how it's supposed to work. Are fast paced battles going to be more like scripted events?
Tabata did not go into detail during this interview. Considering how the battle system currently works in Episode Duscae, I guess that Noctis has weapons that allow him to move even faster.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Tabata did not go into detail during this interview. Considering how the battle system currently works in Episode Duscae, I guess that Noctis has weapons that allow him to move even faster.
maybe this have something to do with the weapon Tier system?

I dont know if the Tier number is fixed, or you can actually upgrade your weapons, but I remember Nomura saying you could use the initial weapons till the very end.

since they want to make everything realistic, it would be kinda logical if Noctis become faster as he gets "used" to a weapon.

Last edited:

Cadet

Yevonite
Jan 16, 2015
Duscae Region
My attempt at translating the 2011 Versus XIII trailer (sometimes I took liberty, other times I tried to stay as close as possible to the original). I used this script for reference as some parts were difficult to hear (and checked with a native Japanese speaker. This Japanese script appears to be correct).

This is a fantasy based on reality.

Chauffeur
: Prince Noctis. Prince Noctis. Prince Noctis! My, what a sight!
Noctis: Looks like an occupation’s started, huh.
Chauffeur: Heh.

A meeting predestined by the divine.

Noctis: Good-bye.
Stella: Prince Noctis, you can see the light? So can I. The Goddess Etro opens the gates to welcome the souls of the departed. At that time, the light that illuminates the land of the dead fills the sky with its radiance. In the rarest of occasions, there are those who are able to see this light, and as a result, are endowed with powers from the land of the dead–– Prince Noctis, did you receive any sort of power?
Noctis: I don’t know about this Etro thing or whatever, but I don’t like seeing that light.
Stella: But, why are there people who can see it, and those who can’t? I’ve been thinking all this time that there’s a special meaning behind it.
Noctis: Meaning behind… seeing the light?
Stella: Yes. For example, isn't there something I ought to do, or ought to accomplish––?

Eyes that see the light of expiring souls.

Regis: I see. You were merely taking advantage [of it]. However, I’m sorry to say you cannot become King. I will not hand the throne over to anyone else. I will go down in history as the last king.

An act of love by the last king.

Noctis
: Ignis, [what do we do?]
Ignis: [We let the next few days go by] as if nothing has happened. [Continue to thrive with the crystal.] I think that’s the best way to take down the Niflheim forces.
Noctis: So you’re saying, launch an all-out resistance, and recapture the crystal? All right, let’s go.
Ignis: No, be realistic, Noct.
Noctis: Haven’t you seen how strong I am!?
Prompto: Yeah, but your body isn’t used to these new powers, right? Must be rough.
Ignis: [You] need time.

Gladiolus: Oy, we gotta go!
Noctis: Wait! What will happen if I, the strongest person here, runs away!?
Ignis: If you stay here, the number of victims will only increase.
Noctis: Why?
Ignis: Those guys are after you. They may try to use you as a hostage to advance negotiations.
Noctis: Negotiations, now? Yeah right, I’ll just kill ‘em all!
Ignis: Noct, sorry to say, but you’re simply not strong enough to do that.
Noctis: HUH!?

Noctis: Got a plan to return the favor ten times?
Ignis: Thinking about one that’ll deal ‘em a hundred.

The figure that still lies asleep in the Fantasy.

Last edited:

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
My attempt at translating the 2011 Versus XIII trailer (sometimes I took liberty, other times I tried to stay as close as possible to the original). I used this script for reference as some parts were difficult to hear.

Noctis: Ignis, [what do we do?]
Ignis: [We] continue on for the next few days as if nothing has happened. Continue to thrive with the crystal. I think that’s the best way to take down the Niflheim forces.
Hm this part is interesting 'cause it's a major difference to the translation I found years ago.

Cadet

Yevonite
Jan 16, 2015
Duscae Region
Famitsu did an 8-part coverage on Square Enix's new engine, Luminous Studio, some time ago. The focus was on XV's development. You can find the first part translated at sqex.info (sqexgal's site), and here's what some of the rest of the parts cover (I don't have Famitsu issues that contain parts 1, 4 or 6):

Part 1 - Fundamental specifications of XV's graphics
Part 2 - Deferred and physics-based rendering
Part 3 - Rendering indirect light
Part 4 - Diffuse reflection
Part 5 - Rendering characters and characters' expressions
Part 6 - Rendering characters (continued)/ ?
Part 7 - Motion and AI
Part 8 - All-purpose middleware/Other tools & Conclusion (the future of Luminous Studio)

If there's any topic on this list that catches your attention, let me know and I'll see if there's anything interesting about it concerning XV (except 1, which you can read, 4 and 6, as I don't have those).

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Not an important big news but .... i read somewhere that Yoko Shimomura debuted a brand new FFXV song, if someone could provide more info i´d appreacite it.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Not an important big news but .... i read somewhere that Yoko Shimomura debuted a brand new FFXV song, if someone could provide more info i´d appreacite it.
I don't know if they also played a "new" song but it was definitely the official live-debut for Final Fantasy XV music. They played the TGS and Jump Festa 15 themes ( and maybe more / or more likely the full versions of those tracks ...). https://twitter.com/theVGO/status/584382972180242433

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
A reminder in 34 days the game will reach its 9th anniversary of development (even though it didn´t acttually happen until years later), what will you guys do on May 8th 2015 ?

Cadet

Yevonite
Jan 16, 2015
Duscae Region
Famitsu have conducted an interview with Hexadrive's CEO, Masakazu Matsushita, and several staff from SE: Hajime Tabata, Yusuke Naora (Type-0 HD art director), and Tomohiro Hasegawa (XV art director). The interview goes mostly into depth about specific technological aspects of Type-0 HD's development, as well as Hexadrive's future endeavors.

The main point is that Hexadrive have been revealed to be assisting with XV's development.

Who are Hexadrive? They've collaborated with Square Enix on The 3rd Birthday, and more recently, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (non-SE games include The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Zone of the Enders HD, among others). The studio is now in its 9th year, and the company (based in Osaka, with a branch now in Tokyo) are mostly former Capcom programmers, including Matsushita himself. The company still largely consist of programmers, but more recently, they've also hired game planners and designers.

And now on to the interview itself:

• Tabata reveals that, even before Type-0 HD, members of Hexadrive had already been cooperating with Square Enix on a RPG for next generation consoles. This title turned out to be FINAL FANTASY XV.
• Timing-wise, Hexadrive have been involved since XV's development still operated on the Ebony engine (before integration with the Luminous Studio engine was completed). More specifically, the start of this collaboration would have been a little while before the E3 2013 reveal as XV (from the former name Versus XIII).
• Hexadrive's knowledge of HD development gave Tabata the confidence to entrust them with Type-0.
• Long story short, Tabata makes it sound as though Hexadrive largely taught SE how to develop HD games (this is an interview where the Hexadrive CEO is present, so I don't think it sounds more important than it actually is). The original KH-style game play for Final Fantasy Versus XIII turned out to be difficult to achieve, so the game's form has changed.
• Naora and Tabata reveal that SE and members of Hexadrive went to an actual cave in Chiba Prefecture (next to Tokyo), collected data, and used them as reference for creating the cave in Episode Duscae.
• Matsushita says that Type-0 HD was a very easy collaboration with Square Enix. SE worked largely on the 3D graphics (including character models in cutscenes, I presume), and Hexadrive worked mostly on 2D graphics (UI, icons, making the forests on the world map look fuller, etc.), and the lip sync.

Last edited: