Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
I am considered fresh meat in this foreign.... thread. Let me decompose into the earth of this thread and become one with all. Don't cook me please.

Anyway, does anyone know what kind of involvement does Hexadrive have with the FFXV project? Based on their background experiences, it sounds like they could be assisting on the visual aspect of the game.
Probably technical stuff. I have a feeling that XV is going to be buttery smooth.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
FFXV has appeared in Sony Japan's recent Spring/Summer 2015 PS4 lineup as a sign of things to come. ^^ http://www.jp.playstation.com/cp/2015SS/
Going by the japanese calendar summer2015 ends on august 8th, 1 month before TGS and less than 2 months after E3.
Why it seens unlikely:
1. 2 months of marketing in the west seens very little, unless they go full force.
2. There would be next to none marketing in JP (i doubt that many JP look up to E3)
3. If SE wants to have the console base in JP (so far there're 1,300,000 ps4 in JP)to be strong and units, they will need a lot of marketing.
4. 1 month of marketing in JP seens very little time.
5. This happened before in the VSXIII days and they end up not happening.

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
Lumina, a Japanese user explained to me that FFXV only appears in the video to promote upcoming PS4 titles past the Summer season. This would also explain MGSV's appearance, a game that is scheduled to be released in the fall.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Lumina, a Japanese user explained to me that FFXV only appears in the video to promote upcoming PS4 titles past the Summer season. This would also explain MGSV's appearance, a game that is scheduled to be released in the fall.
Well we will get the answer at E3, still my money is on 2016. Something that is sure is that FFXV will come after TGS2015 cause SE needs to heavyly promote this game in its home market, where the console consumers are going away from them.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Yes, the video is promoting upcoming games, they also show a list of what's to come in the future, so FFXV and the other games shown after the end of the PS4 segment are essentially not slated to come in that time frame, likely not until next year which comes as no surprise to anyone.

Leopold_Bloom

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 22, 2015
Noticed a little thing today, when playing. Some of you may already know, but if you pause the game during battle you are free to change your technique (d-pad). Useful if you are in trouble and need to get to drain blade immediately.

Oct 19, 2013
Hmmmmmm my money on FFXV's voice director is Jack Fletcher then.
Though, I am unsure if Fletcher is the one who has picked the current English VA for the game as of now..... I don't know I just feel somewhat skeptical at the moment.
Apparently it's Chris Borders who worked on Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc.: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0096184/
His name was mentioned when the first voice actor names for FFXV came up (Jay Preston and Katy Townsend).

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I will say this on VA: based on conversations I've had with voice actors, the casting staff and directorial staff in the West don't have as much sway as you might naturally think. There's Japanese people there, for instance, who push really hard on them to match the original Japanese direction closely even when it'd be smarter to localize it as something else. Good actors (such as Ali Hillis and Troy Baker) and good Directors fall astray in this setting, sadly.

Oct 19, 2013
I will say this on VA: based on conversations I've had with voice actors, the casting staff and directorial staff in the West don't have as much sway as you might naturally think. There's Japanese people there, for instance, who push really hard on them to match the original Japanese direction closely even when it'd be smarter to localize it as something else. Good actors (such as Ali Hillis and Troy Baker) and good Directors fall astray in this setting, sadly.
Here are my quick notes from this interview with Jack Fletcher, btw:
- Trivia: Ashe's VA (Kari Wahlgren) from XII could have been Lightning, as her performance was very convincing, but SE doesn't want to reuse main character VAs in other mainline FFs
- Says they constantly received new versions of cutscenes and had to revise lines all the time which had to strictly fit into the same animations and speech durations as the most recent Japanese version, even though they later on got lip-synced to the English VA (about 20% of the scenes weren't lip-synced and they had to rewrite the English lines so that they fit the JP lip animations)
- Roughly 20% of the VA work had to be rerecorded when some stuff ended up sounding wrong later on for any reason
- The whole last chapter got rewritten by the Japanese side towards the end and split in two new parts before the JP VAs recorded it completely, so they had to wait for a translation of new stuff first (huge script, "stood at least 3 feet high")
- Generally got granted a lot of freedom from SE ("they had bigger fish to fry over there, so they trusted us") and changed intonations and pauses that might be impactful in Japanese but don't sound natural in English
- Sometimes added dialogue themselves to flesh out and pad some scenes that he felt were repetetive and SE just trusted them about it ("two months in you're like, hey, I'm kind of recording the same "Hey guys, don't be down! We can do it if we all work together as a team!" scene again 14, 15 hours in the game, so it's my job to understand where this comes in the story, when it's appropriate to happen again, and breathe new life into it")
- SE basically gave him free license to add his own lines ("Sometimes when you get a literal translation from the Japanese there isn't quite as much fun or as much color in, let's say, the sardonic or sadistic attitude of Lightning, the sort of bitter room that she's in as a character in the first half of the game") and he thinks the new lines "added a flavor to the English version that felt really good"

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
He was rumored to be the voice of Aldercapt but it isn't confirmed yet iirc. It's of course sad to hear nevertheless.

Last edited: