Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
I share this feeling. I can see fans and critics coming up with tons of thesis and essays about FFXV. (This is something that I´ve seen happening with FFXIII as of late)
By looking at impressions at the second half of the story there is a huge problem with it I describe in the spoiler thread we have, and I dont think I will like it as much, but if they do one thing correctly I feel like it could still hold up. Also I am not much of a fan of the sparse first half, but 1 thing I will love from it is the exploration looks like the world is humongous and there is stuff to do that would take over 100 hours to complete I am hype for this.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016

I think this is one of the best music dungeon i heard... it reminds me also a bit Via Purifico theme of 10.
It seems a fusion between Shimomura and Uematsu, so nice.
It actually reminds me of The Sleeping Forest from Birth by Sleep (which is only dungeon music insofar as two of the three characters you play as in Birth by Sleep spend much of their time stuck in Maleficent's dungeon while this plays):

Or maybe Night in the Dark Dream:

It's very Shimomura to me, either way. But, yeah, it's really good.

There is so much good combat music in this game that it's almost unbelievable. XD I really like the tone of this one -- it feels dangerous without feeling apocalyptic like some of the other boss/Astral/powerful monster music, and the way the chanting is used feels distinct from the way it's used elsewhere in the game.

...I really hope my soundtrack comes with liner notes that include the lyrics for all the chanting. I am so curious as to what's being said in all of those tracks.

I share this feeling. I can see fans and critics coming up with tons of thesis and essays about FFXV. (This is something that I´ve seen happening with FFXIII as of late)
Well, that always happens to some extent, but what makes FFXV particularly interesting to me is that it seems to be doing this interesting experimental thing where it builds practically all aspects of the User Experience (the "UX" thing they keep bringing up in dev presentations) around the theme, even if that means transforming itself into something completely different part of the way through. Like, the game apparently expresses the road movie concept of having the physical journey reflect the inner journey by changing the mode of transportation from car in the open exploration portions to train in the linear portions (per Tabata). Some of the impressions I've read seem to imply that, at times, the game makes controversial gameplay shifts and basically just tells the player, "Deal with it."

Tabata's done some interesting integration between gameplay and storytelling in the past (the ending to Crisis Core, seriously!), but I'm hopeful that FFXV will be the game to really get a conversation going about that sort of thing.

(...I miss the era of video game thinkpiece blogs. =( )

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=225423353&postcount=2252

Interesting read, particularly the side quest included:

Since I have spent a considerable amount of time in the world now, I feel confident in talking in detail about the quests. People said they were mostly fetch quests, which might rub the wrong way, but having spent a considerable amount of time with them, I can safely say that not all of them are simply 'fetch' quests. These quests actually urge us to explore the world map, discover its lore, even if they are simple fetch quests. Attempting more of the quests, I discovered 2 secret dungeons which completely surprised me as I had no idea of their location until I attempted the quests corresponding to them. I also uncovered more of the map and discovered some of the hidden monsters during my exploration. So even if they sound like simple fetch quests, they reward the player with exploration. They are also tied to the narrative it is not like every single one of them has some dumb reason to get the X item and get back.

There are quests to upgrade weapons done by Cid. Quests to upgrade the Regalia so it travels at a faster speed (YES!!!!) and also to make it travel at night without having to bump into enemies on road (YESSSS!!!). The weapon upgrades are all neat and they are done by Cid. I recommend to attempt them as soon as you can because Cid will take his sweet time to complete these quests but the reward is a much better weapon than what we can get at that point.

Aside from the side quests, we have the option to fish and as far as I can tell, it is a fun distraction. We can buy the bait and fishing line from outposts or shops all around the world map and we need a specific bait to catch a certain type of fish, so it is not completely barebone mini game. There is a good amount of work put in it which will please the people who love these type of things in an RPG. There is also racing with the chocobos, which is another thing that I didn't attempt much. I mean I have already played an insane amount of the game and yet there is just so much to do. So yeh, I did skip around some of these side content but I am just pointing it out that it is available in case you want to attempt it.

Talking more about the quests, there are some quests given by people at certain locations and then they change their location. There are also quests that are given by people that maintain their location and this results in a quest loop that can be addicting. MMO players might be familiar this feeling of the quest loop. We just keep doing the quests while getting new ones from the person and it honestly feels like there is no end in sight. So I did drop some of them midway even though I was enjoying my time in attempting them.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
...are people forgetting a little game from nearly two decades ago called Final Fantasy VII? >.>

Because the way I remember that game, you only got the full backstory about the guy Cloud modeled himself after if you went to the basement of the mansion in Nibelheim unprompted, and there was a party member who you could miss entirely even though he was more tied up in Sephiroth's backstory than anyone other than Cloud.

With that said, I think what FFXV is trying to do might be a bit different. Its core ambition is "road game," and that means focusing on internal development and relationships between traveling companions more than external plot development. And while there's no way to know how well that's executed until one actually plays the game, it does seem like "the party dynamic is great but nothing happens" is exactly the sort of reaction one might expect if someone went into that sort of game expecting something more plot-heavy.

(I'm of the opinion that, however it turns out, FFXV is going to be fascinating to analyze.)
Exactly. The mansion scene is a great example. Another is Lucrecia's story too.

Optional and hidden side content that are extremely rewarding when discovered.

The man is multi talented for sure. Surf riding that chocobo like a boss!

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=225423353&postcount=2252

Interesting read, particularly the side quest included:
Definitely.

He basically confirms that story bits and lore are tied to side content and exploration.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Forgot that there was another ATR.

Gonna come here to click on the video link and watch it on my mobile to avoid getting spoiled on YouTube.

Thanks for the reminder :)

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
If there is one thing I love I love about RPG's, it's a mass amount of side quests. I'm glad XV has lots. = )
Apparently there's more after
You finish the game. Heaps of post content stuff apparently.

Some people on gaf saying that there is missable cutscenes in game, so we really can assume that the game is really encourages you to explore it.
Yeah it most definitely is.

As someone previously posted it's somewhat resembling the mansion scene, Lucrecia's scene, and finding Vincent / Yuffie in FF7.

Optional stuff but very important to understanding the main story as they're related.

I think people are going to be angry at missing some stuff but like you said, the game is encouraging people to explore so if you miss out then it's kinda the players fault in a way... but then you can flip that around and say the game design is flawed?

Either way you can never please everyone.

Last edited:

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
My only concern about gameplay so far its being overleveled by doing side-stuff and make main story being cakewalk, i hope there is item or something that prevents you from leveling.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
My only concern about gameplay so far its being overleveled by doing side-stuff and make main story being cakewalk, i hope there is item or something that prevents you from leveling.
I've read from others that even if you're higher or equal level to an enemy, you can still get wrecked if you aren't good at the game.

Take that as you will.

I recall Tabata saying that such an item does exist.

Hynad

Yevonite
Sep 19, 2016
I think people are going to be angry at missing some stuff but like you said, the game is encouraging people to explore so if you miss out then it's kinda the players fault in a way... but then you can flip that around and say the game design is flawed?

There's new game plus as well. And most of the older, more revered FF games had missable content. I don't know that many people who complain about FFVI for having missable content, for example.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016

There's new game plus as well. And most of the older, more revered FF games had missable content. I don't know that many people who complain about FFVI for having missable content, for example.
I think it's just become a habit for people to bash, nitpick, and find every excuse under the sun to hate on the game tbh.

It's the "cool" thing to do.

Everything the game does is put under a microscope and scrutinised to death, even if past FF games have done the exact the same thing this game is being "accused" of.

I'm not expecting a perfect game. Never have.

I just want a game I will have a lot of fun playing, and to fall in love with the characters.

That's all really :)

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Screenshot_20161126-091624.jpg

Boom!

It was mentioned at E3 that there was a zero EXP item to cap leveling up.

Last edited: