Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Not that this'll stop anyone from putting stock in those leaks, unfortunately. >_>;

I feel like there might be some translation issues going on here, because I can't really imagine the guy who made the game using the phrasing that Game Informer chose. It'd make more sense if he intended to say something like, "We didn't want to tell the story from an omniscient perspective."

I wonder if this means that we were supposed to interpret the flashback scenes showing Luna's story and stuff from Kingsglaive as having been experienced by Noct in some way? There are only a few scenes that break PoV besides those.
Honestly I just wish they told the story in a way that can give us enough time with all the characters, and I really hope it wasn't on purpose that the side-characters got shafted.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
Idk, ask the 4chan "leaker". ;) ;) ;)

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/831347480214151169

>Didn't want to create a comprehensive balanced story
>Importance placed on the main party/Noct's POV

That...doesn't make sense lol. On one hand i'm quite pleased with the main characters we ended up getting, on the other hand the side cast deserved more love too.

EDIT: Tabata wants to create extra FFXV content for as long as possible, goal is currently set for 1 year.

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/831354686070403072
I read it as Noctis's POV came first, and other story/lore were secondary concerns. BD2 had basically ~3 years to reboot -- well -- a separate reboot of a failed project. I'm sure they wanted to create a expansive and comprehensive story, but time constraints dictated otherwise.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
">Didn't want to create a comprehensive balanced story
>Importance placed on the main party/Noct's POV"
This makes me pretty sad, are you kidding me? So the barely fleshed out side characters wasn't time, it was by design.
a design choice because maybe they knew they couldnt develop all the characters in time to meet the deadline
like FFXIII which was linear by design because HD towns were too hard to make

i understand where tabata is coming from because i liked the main cast, but i don't like this approach...

edit:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/74986216

if anyone wants the amazon codes, be fast...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2013
Tabata says that making the second half open world as well would have doubled development cost based on time

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/831343300586065920
Idk, ask the 4chan "leaker". ;) ;) ;)

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/831347480214151169

>Didn't want to create a comprehensive balanced story
>Importance placed on the main party/Noct's POV

That...doesn't make sense lol. On one hand i'm quite pleased with the main characters we ended up getting, on the other hand the side cast deserved more love too.

EDIT: Tabata wants to create extra FFXV content for as long as possible, goal is currently set for 1 year.

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/831354686070403072
">Didn't want to create a comprehensive balanced story
>Importance placed on the main party/Noct's POV"
This makes me pretty sad, are you kidding me? So the barely fleshed out side characters wasn't time, it was by design.
Not that this'll stop anyone from putting stock in those leaks, unfortunately. >_>;

I feel like there might be some translation issues going on here, because I can't really imagine the guy who made the game using the phrasing that Game Informer chose. It'd make more sense if he intended to say something like, "We didn't want to tell the story from an omniscient perspective."

I wonder if this means that we were supposed to interpret the flashback scenes showing Luna's story and stuff from Kingsglaive as having been experienced by Noct in some way? There are only a few scenes that break PoV besides those.
So, uhm, what's the source of this "new interview" from Game Informer? I can't find anything on their site. Google only leads to a post in the FFXV OT2 thread on GAF without any source and then there are RedMaku's tweets also without a source.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I read it as Noctis's POV came first, and other story/lore were secondary concerns. BD2 had basically ~3 years to reboot -- well -- a separate reboot of a failed project. I'm sure they wanted to create a expansive and comprehensive story, but time constraints dictated otherwise.
That does make a good amount of sense.

A question though, where does the the "3 years" of development time come from? Shouldn't it be 5 if we're counting 2012-2013 when the reboot happened?

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Not completely related, but Breath of the Wild just announced it will also have a Season pass and expansion content. Just like another game we all know and love...

Clearly, this is going to be an industry standard going forward. Still won't stop game developers for being unduly demonized for it though...

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
A question though, where does the the "3 years" of development time come from? Shouldn't it be 5 if we're counting 2012-2013 when the reboot happened?
Tabata's XV is a very different game than Nomura's, both structurally (the Insomnia invasion is gone, the scenario is fully inclusive and doesn't require continuation in further games) and technically (the E3 2013 trailer displayed a mixture between crossgen assets and offline VFX). That's probably why we got the teaser-style Dawn trailers followed by the TGS 2014 trailer showing WIP versions of current assets (and almost nothing of the 2013 assets).

Obviously, some of the work that had been done prior to 2014 would have ended up being used in the final product, but it seems fair to assume that the project was effectively rebooted when Tabata took over.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
It's not my responsibility...
It's not my responsibility to pick up rubbish.
It's not my responsibility to help others.
It's not my responsibility to return a lost wallet.
It's not my responsibility to help that dude getting mugged.
It's not my responsibility to enjoy a game the way I want to.

You know, let that sink in.
I... uh... what?
You got me, I guess.

EDIT: Pointless non sequiturs aside, I hope the potential Hard Mode isn't half assed and unbalanced. I'm not expecting something like Bayonetta, where enemies have different behaviours and moves, but they already have a great example of rebalancing a game for harder difficulty in KH2 critical. They should take cues from that.

Last edited:

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
A bit more detailed here:

Speaking with Game Informer, director Hajime Tabata says the narrative direction was entirely intentional – namely the important events that happened off-screen. “It was for the players to experience the story through Noctis’ eyes,” he told the magazine. “The world and the events that Noctis sees are merely things that are seen through his eyes. We didn’t want to create a comprehensive and perfectly balanced story in this game. Instead, we placed importance on the main characters and for the player and Noctis to share the same experience when we tell the story.”

With this sort of narrative design philosophy in hand, Tabata said it was only natural to increase the proportion in which the main characters are depicted. “It’s not that we decreased the role of the side characters,” he explained. “Focusing on many characters in the game means that the allocation given to the main characters will decrease. Instead of creating a comprehensive and perfectly balanced story, we placed greater importance on the four main characters and strived to depict a world seen from their perspective.”

Another topic fielded by Game Informer touched on the later chapters of the game, where things become a lot more linear. This again, according to Tabata, was intentional.

“Based on calculations that the development time and cost would double if the latter half of the game was to be an open-world environment as well, we had already planned to make the latter half more of a journey by vehicle. The structure of this title – to create memories while traveling in the open-world environment during the first half of the game, then have the story move forward linearly using the train in the latter half of the game – was designed and intended to be that way.”
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/...-xv-story-imbalances-latter-half-game-linear/