Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

NikoZ

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 18, 2018
Man, since episode Ardyn's insomnia uses the location shown back during CEDEC 2016, I wonder if some of these areas should've actually been in the game aswell:

:(
I remember being so sure of that last location to be situated in Altissia, since it looks to be modeled after the Galleria Vittoro Emanuelle, which is located in Milano:/

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
It's weird how some parts look really crouded and other ones look like ghost cities.
It can be really interesting to see Ardyn interact with all the things this city can offer.
He's the type of guy that enjoys interacting and playing with everything, but all will remind him how it was build over his suffering.
I think we will see a good contrast on his feelings and actions. And enrich his trail of thoughts. With everything he likes becoming something that causes him pain.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
I remember being so sure of that last location to be situated in Altissia, since it looks to be modeled after the Galleria Vittoro Emanuelle, which is located in Milano:/
The more and more I see what the team is able to do, the more convinced I become that the one "leak" about the game having to release in 2016 is accurate. I'm greatly anticipating a playable Insomnia before the fall -- though it is a tinge bittersweet that it's in the last DLC and not the main game.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
The more and more I see what the team is able to do, the more convinced I become that the one "leak" about the game having to release in 2016 is accurate. I'm greatly anticipating a playable Insomnia before the fall -- though it is a tinge bittersweet that it's in the last DLC and not the main game.
Didn't Tabata himself explain that part of the deal he made with Squenix corporate when he took control of the project in 2013 was that he would have the game released by September 2016? I definitely remember seeing him mention that the delay to November was a delay from the release timeline that had been worked out very early on.

With regards to the area that looks like it should be in Altissia, I always figured that it was meant to be part of the original Leviathan sequence and was dropped when that had to be reworked. It looks like a perfect location for running through while Leviathan is wreaking havoc. =P

NikoZ

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 18, 2018
It's weird how some parts look really crouded and other ones look like ghost cities.
It can be really interesting to see Ardyn interact with all the things this city can offer.
He's the type of guy that enjoys interacting and playing with everything, but all will remind him how it was build over his suffering.
I think we will see a good contrast on his feelings and actions. And enrich his trail of thoughts. With everything he likes becoming something that causes him pain.
My theory is that some screens just aren't from the retail build? And therefore lack the confetti and people..

Unoder

Yevonite
Feb 20, 2018
I would say keep your expectations low for the size of Insomnia. They were very smart with how they designed the city. In Kingsglaive and by using Ansel in the game you can see that sections of the city are built on plates of land at varying heights. This makes keeping the playable area down in size very easily explainable because they can just cut out whatever size section of the city that they have the resources to make and just raise it to a different height. Many of the ground level areas we've seen so far for Episode Ardyn are areas from the Royal Edition version of expanded Insomnia so given the structure of the city as I just explained it would probably be difficult to make other areas accessible. The main section explorable in the game is essentially on a mountain raised well above the center of the rest of Insomnia as a whole.

EDIT:
Looking through my Ansel folder this was the only picture I've actually taken that shows what I'm talking about but essentially the chunk of land in the middle there is raised well above the rest of the city and does not have very much room at its edges for more to be added. Biggest area would be in the back left corner behind the citadel where the hotel from the Versus XIII trailers can be found via out of bounds glitches.
As a pc player do you have access to Insomnia before the RE? I mean as it was at console launch, because I think it stands to reason that if they were able to "raise" other parts of the city and include them than they would be able to do the same for Episode Ardyn but if it was the exact same size at launch than, maybe you're onto something... Also, I'm really having trouble thinking all they'll do is retexture Insomnia. That's not in line with the standard they've set for the previous DLC's where we've been given new locations to explore every time. Even in Episode Ignis where we returned to Altissia they gave us the other half of the city too explore... in addition to "verticality".

With this being the final DLC, and with it having a RE DLC Price Tag... I'd like to think that they're going to do more for us than you think. But hey, I could be wrong as like you said the locations they've shown off have been areas we can already explore now in destroyed Insomnia. However... has it occured to you that maybe they don't want to spoil any of the locations for us? I'll admit it's unlikely... but it is possible.

I'm fine with any amount of explorable sections of Insomnia in Episode Ardyn, especially since what I saw was eye-popping gorgeous to me and even if it's just a non-destroyed version of the expanded map of the ruins we got in the Royal Pack DLC, my current number one most favorite DLC, I would be fine with either thing we get here. Also, I think we'll be able to explore it even during the invasion based on those two screenshots, similar to like we were able to explore the section of Altissia we got in Episode Ignis, and plus, we have rooftops to Shadow Warp to in Insomnia in Episode Ardyn which seem to add a sense verticality to Insomnia. The Insomnia City Ruins in the vanilla version of Chapter 14 had a lot to be desired because of the size of what we could explore, story content and main bosses, and I felt the Royal Pack DLC fixed those things up well, even those it has miss-able content. Of course, my expectations are low for this DLC, but I'm excited to finally get my hands on it, even if there is linearity involved. This is all just my opinion, of course.
Either way I'm getting the DLC, but I guess I just have more faith in the Dev's than others... I understand that hopes have been dashed around here because of what happened with Dawn of the Future, but I still believe we're in for something special with this DLC and don't forget, they made that bold claim last year after the RE released that they're now able to produce HD content faster and easier than before... and with a full year to work on just the one DLC (because they specifically said they were going to tackle each DLC at a time, not all together) I'm really optimistic about what they'll have in store for us.

I mean even when they did the Royal Edition Tabata was like, of course it's not going to be as big as Kingsglaive. I mean cause that thing was massive in the movie. It was bigger than San Andreas! And we know Insomnia in this game is not going to be ANYTHING like San Andreas. Anything like San Andreas would require a bigger budget. All the lights and cars and sets and NPC's would be expensive. And we just don't have that.
Of course they're going to blow it out of proportion for the movie lol, SA is 40km plus which is like three times the size of Shinjuku... Even before Insomnia was axed, lets be honest it was never going to be that big and densely packed with npc's, vehicles, animals and whatnot. That's crazy, and an outlandish conflation of what I was asking for might I add... I said bigger than the royal edition, not bigger than San Andreas lol..

Anyway, with that said however, I would like to see a full implementation of Insomnia in-game. Obviously not what we saw in KG, but something that feels like a proper representation of the royal city. Perhaps along the size of that overhead pan from the opening cutscene, of which I'd say we probably have maybe 25-35% of now thanks to the royal edition (I could be wrong, feel free to do your own comparison's there).

Regardless of what we get I'll be buying it, of course, but I guess I'm just a bit more optimistic than some of you as to what we'll be getting.

Last edited:

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
As a pc player do you have access to Insomnia before the RE? I mean as it was at console launch, because I think it stands to reason that if they were able to "raise" other parts of the city and include them than they would be able to do the same for Episode Ardyn but if it was the exact same size at launch than, maybe you're onto something... Also, I'm really having trouble thinking all they'll do is retexture Insomnia. That's not in line with the standard they've set for the previous DLC's where we've been given new locations to explore every time. Even in Episode Ignis where we returned to Altissia they gave us the other half of the city too explore... in addition to "verticality".

With this being the final DLC, and with it having a RE DLC Price Tag... I'd like to think that they're going to do more for us than you think. But hey, I could be wrong as like you said the locations they've shown off have been areas we can already explore now in destroyed Insomnia. However... has it occured to you that maybe they don't want to spoil any of the locations for us? I'll admit it's unlikely... but it is possible.

Either way I'm getting the DLC, but I guess I just have more faith in the Dev's than others... I understand that hopes have been dashed around here because of what happened with Dawn of the Future, but I still believe we're in for something special with this DLC and don't forget, they made that bold claim last year after the RE released that they're now able to produce HD content faster and easier than before... and with a full year to work on just the one DLC (because they specifically said they were going to tackle each DLC at a time, not all together) I'm really optimistic about what they'll have in store for us.

Of course they're going to blow it out of proportion for the movie lol, SA is 40km plus which is like three times the size of Shinjuku... Even before Insomnia was axed, lets be honest it was never going to be that big and densely packed with npc's, vehicles, animals and whatnot. That's crazy, and an outlandish conflation of what I was asking for might I add... I said bigger than the royal edition, not bigger than San Andreas lol..

Anyway, with that said however, I would like to see a full implementation of Insomnia in-game. Obviously not what we saw in KG, but something that feels like a proper representation of the royal city. Perhaps along the size of that overhead pan from the opening cutscene, of which I'd say we probably have maybe 25-35% of now thanks to the royal edition (I could be wrong, feel free to do your own comparison's there).

Regardless of what we get I'll be buying it, of course, but I guess I'm just a bit more optimistic than some of you as to what we'll be getting.
Don't get me wrong, I always have low expectations for anything, video games, DLC, or otherwise because when I watch trailers that have cool moments and stuff like that for a game/DLC, I wouldn't be sure of where any game/DLC would go from start to finish, and so I intend to keep my expectations in check, and keep speculation low, and I'm open to surprises. I'm looking forward to the story the Episode Ardyn DLC will have, to playing as Ardyn and to the Insomnia they have in it to explore.

Last edited:

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018

As far as I know there is no way to access Insomnia pre-royal edition using the PC version but honestly I wouldn't assume that the section of land that the city was expanded upon was any smaller. There's still areas throughout the main raised section that they have yet to expand to (for example the hotel I mentioned in a previous post). I think that they simply fleshed out more of what was already on the raised area within the game rather than expanding it to fit more. This is why I believe that they will not raise any more land to expand the area for the DLC. However I think the bulk of what we will see added will be found in the new verticality of the city that we've seen in trailers for Episode Ardyn so far. Perhaps now that the Niflheim bases are gone and the toppled buildings can no longer block certain pathways they may extend the playable area closer to the edge of the raised section as well. Even the areas that we can currently access in the main game will probably be more than simply "retextured." I think that the shops they've teased in screenshots could be very promising and hint towards a level on interactivity with the city that many players have been hoping for.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be excited to check out the new Insomnia they've crafted for Episode Ardyn. I'm just trying to say that you should keep your expectations for what exactly they're going to do to it low so that you won't be needlessly disappointed when things that were never going to be added are, in fact, not there.

IwakuraLain

PSICOM Soldier
Mar 20, 2018
View attachment 1114

The Insomnia real size from the royal edition is something like this, but the surrounding area isn't explorable, maybe with this DLC we'll be able to enjoy new streets (but basically the size is that, nothing really big)
Quite a lot of what you have shown also doesn't have collision. I've done some exploring with the help of cheat engine and you'll fall through basically anything outside of the regular paths.

Man, since episode Ardyn's insomnia uses the location shown back during CEDEC 2016, I wonder if some of these areas should've actually been in the game aswell:

:(
I am fairly sure I've seen the image in the top right of this in the game files somewhere, and if I'm right it's actually a real life photograph (with the UI and Noctis overlaid in this instance). I don't have time right now, but I'll see if I can track it down when I can.

Edit:
Here is the original texture used in the game. You can find it in /datas/common/initialize1_files/textures/ibl/ The original image is extremely dark, so I adjusted the brightness and contrast levels to make it more visible.
black_default_envout.png black_default_envoutColorAdjusted.png

With the Ansel unlocker enabled, you can actually watch the map "load" by going in and out of Ansel during a load screen, and it seems this image is some sort of generic texture that shows up before anything else when a new game is initiated. Here's a screenshot close to the same frame:
Screenshot_20190307_205132.png

What was the point of all this?
Often the images of Noctis standing on the road in the urban setting are used as "proof" that Insomnia or Gralia was supposed to be more explorable, however I'm pretty sure these CEDEC slides aren't showing real environments that were ever developed for the game. I think they were all just photos with game elements laid over top for development purposes.

Last edited:

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
This is different from the Judgment Disk right? Because in the Judgment Disk, Insomnia was already playable in the daytime, is this somehow different.
I think you mean the Platinum Demo, and from what I remember the only playable section of Insomnia from that was the Citadel courtyard where you fought the Iron Giant (same place Ifrit is fought in the full game). Episode Ardyn will (presumably, based on what we've seen so far) feature most, if not all, of Insomnia from the main game but in a non-destroyed form.

motoleo

Chocobo Knight
Jan 7, 2019
I think you mean the Platinum Demo, and from what I remember the only playable section of Insomnia from that was the Citadel courtyard where you fought the Iron Giant (same place Ifrit is fought in the full game). Episode Ardyn will (presumably, based on what we've seen so far) feature most, if not all, of Insomnia from the main game but in a non-destroyed form.
The mystery disc, remember. It brings to mind the mystery disc.

mozzafaralj

SOLDIER Second Class
Apr 12, 2016

【Hokkaido suits FFXV characters】 Ranking
As the result that the character chosen as the 1st place is "4 people", we will release the art of Hokkaido image of "4 people" newly drawn up by the FFXV art team! Thank you very much for those who participated in the event and for those who did not come.

# FF 15 2 Year Anniversary The artist who offered the song "Horizon" on PV # # Thirsty Lawn Monkey's 9th Album "9999" The world's fastest listening session will be held on March 28 (Thursday)!
We also invite you to draw FFXV users by lottery so please check the detail page and apply.

http://emtg.jp/feature/tyms_9999_pre_ff/

motoleo

Chocobo Knight
Jan 7, 2019
The funny thing about Ardyn is that he does not have any stressful boss battles, I mean him as the final boss in the main game was stunningly easy. He has no second form. He's not aggressive. He just lets you do it. And even in Episode Ignis he was weird. It was like you were fighting him for nothing. He just lazily kicked you. No stakes. Nothing.

Is Ardyn supposed to be a challenge? He's not. And God if you have Armiger Unleashed. It just feels like Ardyn is simply letting you beat him. He doesn't do anything. He doesn't even have any health. So I can't tell if it's supposed to be like that or is the difficulty broken...

And I found that kind of odd. Everyone would tell you uh... That fight with Ardyn... that wasn't a real fight.

Last edited: