Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
if the Submit your Fate ending is canon then Ardyn became, in basic FF jargon, kinda like a Warrior of Darkness.

SQ has been playing a lot with this lately

Mobius FF with the Warrior of Despair act
FFXIV with the player becoming the Warrior of Darkness in the new expansion
and now this

fucking love it.
Would be cool if we saw a Warrior of Darkness as the protag of FF16

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I dunno, I think FFXVI really needs to go more traditional at this point. The last traditional offline FF we got was FFIX, almost two decades ago. It's been long enough now that a medieval high fantasy* world would actually be quite refreshing.

* Western RPGs almost universally go for a low fantasy aesthetic, even if they take place in a medieval setting and include magic.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I dunno, I think FFXVI really needs to go more traditional at this point. The last traditional offline FF we got was FFIX, almost two decades ago. It's been long enough now that a medieval high fantasy* world would actually be quite refreshing.

* Western RPGs almost universally go for a low fantasy aesthetic, even if they take place in a medieval setting and include magic.
the setting can still be medieval with a WoD no?

since playing FFIII I always imagined a FF where you have two groups of main characters that have to fight each other, it happened shortly in FFXIV but a full game with that dichtomy would be cool as hell.

its important to note that in FF light and dark doesnt necessarily alude to morality; for example in FFXIV if either light or dark gets too strong the balance gets broken, if the dark wins the world will lost daytime, humans will become monsters, and eventually engulf the lands (like in LRXIII), same with light. The Void is the end result if either dominates too long.

Last edited:

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018

since playing FFIII I always imagined a FF where you have two groups of main characters that have to fight each other, it happened shortly in FFXIV but a full game with that dichtomy would be cool as hell.

its important to note that in FF light and dark doesnt necessarily alude to morality; for example in FFXIV if either light or dark gets too strong the balance gets broken, if the dark wins the world will lost daytime, humans will become monsters, and eventually engulf the lands (like in LRXIII), same with light. The Void is the end result if either dominates too long.
Pretty sure Final Fantasy Dimensions is all about WoD and WoL premise. Haven't played it in a long time and didn't get very far, but worth checking out if you're into that sort of story.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
While I agree it needs to be traditional after the science fantasy of XIII and near-reality of XV, I don't see why there can't be a warrior of darkness in the leading role. How about the core plot point being the advent of a Warrior of Dusk or Dawn, balancing light and darkness. Maybe the protagonists being respectively Warriors of Light and Darkness could provide the drive for the plot and/or central conflict. And the antagonists would be just people at opposite extremes, no need for anything excessively divine (which I think would be the most refreshing, we haven't had a non-God antagonist(s) for a long time - I enjoyed Exdeath and Ultimecia as antagonists).

Medieval's alright I suppose, but I wouldn't want them to go all Western again. Try to spice it up with some pseudo-Arabian or Indian, maybe? The only game that's tried that so far is XII.

Pretty sure Final Fantasy Dimensions is all about WoD and WoL premise. Haven't played it in a long time and didn't get very far, but worth checking out if you're into that sort of story.
Yes, Dimensions has Warriors of both Light and Darkness, each fulfilling a different role in helping restore the world.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016

I suppose, though having a WoD would still feel like it was trying to define itself against traditional FF rather than being traditional FF.

Controlling two groups who are antagonistic towards each other could be really interesting, though...

While I agree it needs to be traditional after the science fantasy of XIII and near-reality of XV, I don't see why there can't be a warrior of darkness in the leading role. How about the core plot point being the advent of a Warrior of Dusk or Dawn, balancing light and darkness. Maybe the protagonists being respectively Warriors of Light and Darkness could provide the drive for the plot and/or central conflict. And the antagonists would be just people at opposite extremes, no need for anything excessively divine (which I think would be the most refreshing, we haven't had a non-God antagonist(s) for a long time - I enjoyed Exdeath and Ultimecia as antagonists).

Medieval's alright I suppose, but I wouldn't want them to go all Western again. Try to spice it up with some pseudo-Arabian or Indian, maybe? The only game that's tried that so far is XII.
Warriors of Dusk and Dawn could be an interesting twist, I agree, especially if it allowed for a plot where the antagonists are simply powerful humans rather than divine entities. Perhaps the party could include one of each type of warrior -- Light, Darkness, Dusk, and Dawn -- for a total of four chosen warriors.

As for Western medieval fantasy, I feel like that's too big a part of the FF tradition to replace completely. It would make more sense in a return-to-traditional-FF to start in a European milieu and include other countries based on different cultures as you travel the world. Or, I suppose, split the difference between East and West and draw on Russian influence. ;)

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
*manly tears*

im also entering a phase of my life that leaves me with limited time but Im not planning to leave this place due to the quality of the discussions, especially compared to certain boards...

Regis not remembering Ardyn is due to the fact Ardyn was disguised as soldier Mars Sapientia; you may have seen Ardyn all the time in the dlc but for everyone else he just looked like a regular soldier.
So just like in FF VII where you follow Sephiroth after Midgar around the world, but it actually was Jenova the whole time ;)

BTW, I didn't played FF XV since over one year, but I want to play all the updates and DLC's.
So should I buy the Royal Edition and Ep. Ardyn seperatly? Or do you think SQ is going to release another complete edition like the Royal edition back in the time?

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
So just like in FF VII where you follow Sephiroth after Midgar around the world, but it actually was Jenova the whole time ;)

BTW, I didn't played FF XV since over one year, but I want to play all the updates and DLC's.
So should I buy the Royal Edition and Ep. Ardyn seperatly? Or do you think SQ is going to release another complete edition like the Royal edition back in the time?
If you buy the RE and Episode Ardyn at full price it should cost you as much as FFXV vanilla did at launch (RE = $50, EA = $10, total = $60). Other than waiting for RE to go on sale (which is has), not sure how much of a better deal Square Enix is gonna offer you.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/913575713662226999/0F874BEB3B270AC8DCBE9651A96AB4C3263B4FE5/?imw=1920&&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=#000000&letterbox=false

screen is actually from FFXV lol damn give me the mod tools...

edit:

Imgur Link
My Episode Ardyn Ansel album, for whatever reason Imgur messed up the order but it's close enough. Please feel free to use any pictures you like. Let me know if there's something I missed that you want a shot of.
https://i0.wp.com/punishedbacklog.c...g-impatiently-on-throne-screenshot-noctis.jpg

cant unsee

great screens btw

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Feb 19, 2018
Something else from that interview I forgot.

Apparently the reason Episode Ardyn's so heavy on lore/exposition/info dumps and so grim in tone was because it was always intended to set stuff up for the rest of the cancelled DLC. The planned Episode Aranea would've been much lighter in tone, while Episodes Luna and Noctis would've had a serious mood leading up to the alternate finale.
I really hope there's a chance that later down the line they'll do a special re-release with the remaining novel stuff added in and maybe some tweaks to the main game overall. Financially speaking it's been one of the most successful games in the franchise so I can see them going out of their way to make a re-release of the game truly special once a console generation or two has passed. Even Royal Edition added a lot as is and that was released only a little over a year after initial release. So here's to hoping that maybe when the game hits its 10 year anniversary they'll do something special for it. It's wishful thinking but it would be a welcome surprise.