Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I understand what you guys are saying but I still think it's a missed opportunity. I would've liked to meet, AT MOST, one of those guys as the 1st time as Noctis. It's like how Persona does characters all around the main character. Yukari and Junpei were amazing to see grow over time and the main character meets them for the 1st time just like the gamer. I'm not saying the other guys around Noctis won't grow. It's just... Well... Dragon Quest Heroes does friendship between Luceus and Auroura and they're great buddies before the gamer meets them and that feels somewhat natural to me. I guess it all comes down to writing.
Dragon Quest Heroes isn't really the pinnacle of good story telling. Anyways, it's not a missed opportunity to meet characters considering there are guest party members in the game... or did you forget about that? Yes, we will be meeting characters for the first time along the way, so there are plenty of opportunities for the cast to meet these different people throughout the story. And even then, all the experiences you'll have along the way will be new to Noctis and the gang as well as for you. There's no reason to believe that the characters wont still bond and form new experiences along the way. Plenty of stories revolve around existing relationships with characters, it's not at all impossible to do something like this.

As others have suggested, Noctis isn't a self insert character, and I think that's what makes him a good character. Having characters that are just blank slates really makes for a boring main character.

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
The lack of a self insert character is what most JRPGs do, in WRPGs you mostly make a avatar to roleplay as but what I like about most JRPGs is that I'm observing a story take place rather than self insert myself.

First and foremost, Noctis is not an avatar character.
Yeah, well... I feel like Batman when I'm playing Rockysteady Batman games. I feel like I'm Nathan Drake when I play Uncharted. I feel like I'm Shulk when I play Xenoblade Chronicles. List runs on. I feel immersed as those characters and they aren't avatar characters.

I honestly do understand you guys points, though. I really do. I just don't like feeling like a cameraman in a game.

The lack of a self insert character is what most JRPGs do, in WRPGs you mostly make a avatar to roleplay as but what I like about most JRPGs is that I'm observing a story take place rather than self insert myself.
I'm the total opposite. I LOVE self insert games like Etrain Odyssey, Dragon Quest 9, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Persona, Pokemon main games, etc. Lol

young hug.

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 6, 2015
houston.
oglite.com
I guess it all comes down to immersion. I just don't feel as if I AM Noctis if he knows everybody in the party before I even start the game. Instead, I'm playing AS Noctis and some immersion has been lost. I know its just semantics with "as" and "am" but immersion means so much to me in gaming.
i feel you, yo. if that's the case, you would have to sit back and understand who noctis is through the storyline, before you can actually feel him.
like the other guys said, flashbacks may play a huge part in the beginning of the game. as long as they catch you up to speed with what truly matters, you can in turn rock with everyone who is already in noctis party. kinda like, these my dudes since day 1.

just another way to look at it, but i understand what you mean.

Hahahahaha!!! I wish I knew how to Internet better. I wanna share the Twitter post from the Final Fantasy XV development team literally taking pictures of rocks in the real world to use them as models in the game. This is truly... a fantasy based on reality. Hahahahaha!!! But all joking aside, I think it shows dedication from the development team. But a part of me kinda agrees with others that taking pictures of the rocks in the real world to become rocks Noctis use to recover MP in the game is a tad bit unnecessary. How a rock looks in the game is probably the LEAST concern anybody has for the game. Lol just draw a dang rock and call it day. Then again... Who am I to question an artist's work? *brain explodes*

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Hahahahaha!!! I wish I knew how to Internet better. I wanna share the Twitter post from the Final Fantasy XV development team literally taking pictures of rocks in the real world to use them as models in the game. This is truly... a fantasy based on reality.
You have no idea what you're talking about, and neither do any of the other people that mentioned this. Also, everyone is a day or more late on this. Taking a picture of the rock for reference is key not for just modeling but for texturing. It's very commonplace in video games for people to take high definition high quality pictures of things like walls of various materials concrete brick etc floors path ways, rocks like this, wood etc. Just go look online for high definition textures of things and you'll see what I mean.

But a part of me kinda agrees with others that taking pictures of the rocks in the real world to become rocks Noctis use to recover MP in the game is a tad bit unnecessary.
What are you talking about? Rocks and other elements in game are critical to creating a good looking environment. Software exists for these sorts of things for the sole purpose of just PLACING these environmental elements into a game world that costs a ton of money. Here's an example: http://www.speedtree.com/ this software has won awards and is used in not only games but high production Hollywood movies like the new Jurassic Park movie and Avatar. These things are important, companies spend thousands of dollars to get high production because it makes for a realistic end product. I don't know what you mean by "hiding behind", that's not the sole purpose of the rocks, also that's not what will be happening in the final game anyways.

How a rock looks in the game is probably the LEAST concern anybody has for the game. Lol just draw a dang rock and call it day.
Artists use reference to create realistic looking drawings. It's the only way to get good at drawing, by trying to draw real things. Creating realistic rocks that fit with a certain climate and surrounding area is key to creating a convincing environment. You wouldn't put a pine tree in a desert, would you? Also, the team that did this is the same team that put together that video of them going around into caves, seeing those different animals, hiking up mountains, fishing, watching explosions and other similar things from different weaponry all for research and reference. Look at developer commentary for various games some will talk about the research and things they for various aspects of a game.

I'm glad to see the Japanese users on the JP Tweet take it as it should have been and actually responded with a lot of really cool areas with cool rocks it was really awesome to see people enjoying the idea. The translation for the Tweet made it seem weird but honestly it wasn't hard to understand what people were saying.

This is another case of people looking at something like this and saying that somehow XV marketing or otherwise is doing bad (I'm not talking about you I'm talking about others I've seen) because they post something like this and people think it's stupid because they don't understand the point behind it. Meanwhile, Japan is just like "oh that's neat" and maybe engage a little... like it shouldn't went down. Instead, more than 24 hours later NeoGAF slowpokes find it and make a thread all saying the same joke over and over again belittling the development team and their hard work over something that really isn't that funny to begin with.

Don't take this message the wrong way by the way, this is more directed at other people I've seen and not at all something personal against you.

You have no idea what you're talking about, and neither do any of the other people that mentioned this. Also, everyone is a day or more late on this. Taking a picture of the rock for reference is key not for just modeling but for texturing. It's very commonplace in video games for people to take high definition high quality pictures of things like walls of various materials concrete brick etc floors path ways, rocks like this, wood etc. Just go look online for high definition textures of things and you'll see what I mean.

What are you talking about? Rocks and other elements in game are critical to creating a good looking environment. Software exists for these sorts of things for the sole purpose of just PLACING these environmental elements into a game world that costs a ton of money. Here's an example: http://www.speedtree.com/ this software has won awards and is used in not only games but high production Hollywood movies like the new Jurassic Park movie and Avatar. These things are important, companies spend thousands of dollars to get high production because it makes for a realistic end product. I don't know what you mean by "hiding behind", that's not the sole purpose of the rocks, also that's not what will be happening in the final game anyways.

Artists use reference to create realistic looking drawings. It's the only way to get good at drawing, by trying to draw real things. Creating realistic rocks that fit with a certain climate and surrounding area is key to creating a convincing environment. You wouldn't put a pine tree in a desert, would you? Also, the team that did this is the same team that put together that video of them going around into caves, seeing those different animals, hiking up mountains, fishing, watching explosions and other similar things from different weaponry all for research and reference. Look at developer commentary for various games some will talk about the research and things they for various aspects of a game.

I'm glad to see the Japanese users on the JP Tweet take it as it should have been and actually responded with a lot of really cool areas with cool rocks it was really awesome to see people enjoying the idea. The translation for the Tweet made it seem weird but honestly it wasn't hard to understand what people were saying.

This is another case of people looking at something like this and saying that somehow XV marketing or otherwise is doing bad (I'm not talking about you I'm talking about others I've seen) because they post something like this and people think it's stupid because they don't understand the point behind it. Meanwhile, Japan is just like "oh that's neat" and maybe engage a little... like it shouldn't went down. Instead, more than 24 hours later NeoGAF slowpokes find it and make a thread all saying the same joke over and over again belittling the development team and their hard work over something that really isn't that funny to begin with.

Don't take this message the wrong way by the way, this is more directed at other people I've seen and not at all something personal against you.
It's too late. I'm already in tears!!! Seriously though, I did say who am I to judge an artist's work. I also said it did show dedication from the team. Final Fantasy XV is in that spot where it can't really please everyone despite what the development team says or do. It's gonna get hit with criticism for anything it does and that's sad. I'm not one of those guys that bash FF XV over anything. I'm in love with the graphics, the music and most importantly... The POTENTIAL this game has. There's so much potential in FF XV its insane. I may have wishes and desires that FF XV might not fulfill but I still support it. I was just playfully teasing about the rock thing. Heck, I'm shipping Noctis with every pretty woman in the game. XP

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015

My only reactions to this were "neat rock" and "I hope they don't leave that obviously seaside rock in the middle of a grassy field"

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
It's too late. I'm already in tears!!! Seriously though, I did say who am I to judge an artist's work. I also said it did show dedication from the team. Final Fantasy XV is in that spot where it can't really please everyone despite what the development team says or do. It's gonna get hit with criticism for anything it does and that's sad. I'm not one of those guys that bash FF XV over anything. I'm in love with the graphics, the music and most importantly... The POTENTIAL this game has. There's so much potential in FF XV its insane. I may have wishes and desires that FF XV might not fulfill but I still support it. I was just playfully teasing about the rock thing. Heck, I'm shipping Noctis with every pretty woman in the game. XP
Yes, exactly, that's why I made sure to make mention that this reply was just quoting you but not directed at you. I was just sort of speaking to everyone and no one at the same time.

My only reactions to this were "neat rock" and "I hope they don't leave that obviously seaside rock in the middle of a grassy field"
Hahaha, exactly.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
What does it say about FFXV?
Google Translate:

The latest installment of the legendary FINAL FANTASY series illuminates the Square Enix booth with a presentation on stage and access to the playable demo FINAL FANTASY? EPISODE DUSCAE- 2.0 for exhibition visitors. Scheduled for 2016, FINAL FANTASY XV is a fantasy based on reality? offering a revolutionary gameplay and storyline flipping through advanced technology.

Oct 19, 2013

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
I really don't think so. Unless you want to give yours thoughts to the staff of the game in the hopes that they'll be heard, it may be a good idea. But apparently having any kind of criticism means your a hater there. At least that's what my one post there on my feelings for how the games development has been handled is being treated as.

I will say on a technical side of things, no. The forum is badly designed and coded.

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
I really don't think so. Unless you want to give yours thoughts to the staff of the game in the hopes that they'll be heard, it may be a good idea. But apparently having any kind of criticism means your a hater there. At least that's what my one post there on my feelings for how the games development has been handled is being treated as.

I will say on a technical side of things, no. The forum is badly designed and coded.
Thanks for the reply. I will just stick with here. I am sure if anything comes from over there it will be here before to long.