Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
The virtue signalling in this thread is absolutely atrocious.
I don't think it is, actually. This is a knee jerk reaction. I think there is a lot of this everywhere else it pops up randomly, but so far not so much here.

But, this does support my point that the people who are oversensitive to it are hurting their own cause. In-your-face activism only leads to reinforcing the division and witch hunts.

Sep 26, 2013
Can we please not turn this place into NeoGaf?. We don't need to muddy up video game threads with politics.
I mean, it's a discussion of a character design in the game itself. Seems like the appropriate place for it. My main problem with Cindy's design is how bad it is even before you take into account the rampant sexualization. It says very little about her character other than that she's supposed to be there as a piece of eye-candy and something for the boys to swoon over in dialogue. It's a real shame because of how much of the character's potential it squanders, especially because if she weren't dressed that way what we'd mostly see is the first brush with a female Cid and a woman who holds down a pretty typically male job and seems to do it very well.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
That makes some big assumptions. She is not Cid, and there's no guarantee she was ever going to get any kind of actual character development. They've said repeatedly that she's not a major character at all. She's just a familiar avatar for each time you have to call a tow truck.

Sep 26, 2013
That makes some big assumptions. She is not Cid, and there's no guarantee she was ever going to get any kind of actual character development. They've said repeatedly that she's not a major character at all. She's just a familiar avatar for each time you have to call a tow truck.
That would fall squarely under "squandered potential". She's also the heir to Cid's legacy in much the same way that Noctis is the heir to Regis', and her name while not directly Cid is "Cidney" in Japanese hence why I said "brush with". The fact that they choose to make her a minor character with little more than a sexy design doesn't change the fact that they could have done a lot more with the concept (and probably should have).

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Eh, I think that's making a bunch of leaps. It's just as likely that there was a need for a recurring mechanic just for those scenes and someone said "hey, let's make her sexy! And while we're at it, we can tie her into it, let's say it's Cid's granddaughter". Based on interviews and whatnot, I really don't get the impression she was ever intended to be a major character at all. Basically a slightly less crazy Chocolina.

After they come up with the sexy design, again speaking to Japan's lack of social awareness, they probably thought she would make a good selling point, so they made her the unofficial mascot.

I'd be surprised if she has anything to say in the story once you leave hammerhead.

Sep 26, 2013
No no, I know that Cindy was likely never meant to be a major character. I'm making zero leaps there. I also don't think game designers/writers/whoever should necessarily feel like they have to make a character that aligns to anything but their own creative vision. I'm just pointing out the difference between a good portrayal and a bad portrayal in my eyes. As it stands, Cindy has a lot of potential because of the unique role she fills. I'm with you, though, in thinking that she'll do little to deliver on it throughout the game and that Hammerhead will be the place where you'll get most of what she has to offer. I'm just lamenting that fact.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
No no, I know that Cindy was likely never meant to be a major character. I'm making zero leaps there. I also don't think game designers/writers/whoever should necessarily feel like they have to make a character that aligns to anything but their own creative vision. I'm just pointing out the difference between a good portrayal and a bad portrayal in my eyes. As it stands, Cindy has a lot of potential because of the unique role she fills. I'm with you, though, in thinking that she'll do little to deliver on it throughout the game and that Hammerhead will be the place where you'll get most of what she has to offer. I'm just lamenting that fact.
Gotcha. I agree with the bolded for sure. I'm certainly not saying it's a good portrayal. I'm mostly saying I don't think they put as much thought into it as we do, lol.

And to the other part of the bolded as well, let's say they DID change the design after the early outcry, then all that would do is fuel those damn gamergater assholes. They'd point to how the "SJWs" are coming to steal their bewbs and point to this game as proof.

Which is why I just say, Oh you, Japan.

Edit: and I have to admit, there IS one small part of me that does like the design. Er, not that small. What have you heard?

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
I think "tedious" best sums up my feelings about Cindy's design. The shorts-midriff part isn't uncommon in south Georgia - there's a reason the fictional Hazzard County was in this part of the world. (And they nailed the accent too). Hell, my wife dressed similarly before we were married.

But for God's sake - button up the damn shirt. My 10-year-old daughter asked me why her bra was showing like that when she was watching me play the end of ED -- underscores why I'm too old for this teenage-boy fan-service.

I did offer feedback about the design with those ED surveys. They certainly don't have to take it; after all they're entitled to make the game they want to make. I just hope her usage in the game is not too distracting from the overall experience.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Not gonna speak much on this other than there are plenty of girls who also enjoy these sorts of designs, sexualized or even downright lewd. People like to forget that when bashing men for creating women to ogle at when there are plenty of eager women to cosplay as these characters with the complete realization that it's sexualized. Just another excuse to blame men for something, I guess.

My final thoughts: Sex isn't evil.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Asking Tabata to follow guidelines or consult Nomura is also insulting since he's the one spending years of his life bringing the current game to life. Their team has been pretty straightforward about keeping as much as possible of the original plan in the new game, and it's pretty evident they've kept quite a fair amount, but this isn't Versus XIII. It's Final Fantasy XV, and they course corrected they way they feel is appropriate.
Legitimately the smartest GAF post I've read in MONTHS.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Could well be. I just haven't read anything that says you can. The only one that even comes to mind said it was just the last one, like in Duscae. But I have no official word from anyone.
Actually, in regards to that map screenshot i posted, i checked again in the Master Version footage and saw that the map shot doesn't show icons of Campsites you can fast travel to, which were added fairly later.

The fact that the option to return/fast travel to a Rest Point is highlighted in the posted map shot, with the pointer at Hammerhead, without the Camp site icons added yet, might indicate we can also fast travel to previous locations too.

Nye

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 17, 2016
Not wanting to bring other board's drama here, but since I don't post on NeoGAF, who is this Verendus cat? The way he posts -- and the fact he isn't banned -- seem to indicate he's some sort of PM in 3rd-party relations at Sony.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214982130&postcount=452
I agree with him so much, finally a good post to read.

Regarding Cidney, I get why some people would hate her design. As a girl though, I don't mind it at all. Personally when I play games I always buy outfits that may look like that, I don't think of it as offensive at all but that's just me ;P