Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Argento

Red Wings Commander
Nov 5, 2016
Good points.

The examples I provided were my way of saying that this is how the story is being told. Cutscenes are being replaced with this mode of storytelling.

Honestly I can see people fast traveling between locations and missing out on a ton of dialogue (some could even be very important story pieces) because they are rushing.

I pay very close attention to everything. So situations where I have to point out to people what happened in a game because they zoned out is too common in real life I'm afraid.

I think this may be what's happening in the first half of the game.
Yeah ^^ i will be walking around and completing everything there is as well. That's how you reach 200 hours of playing (i actually enjoyed fishing as well, which is weird lol).
The devs put so much effort in to this game, i think that reviewing it basing yourself on your rushed experience is just an insult to them... there is so much to see and do

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Nice writing @Jubileus .
@Jubileus You have a good points, and im agree with you.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01...-storytelling-inspiration-from-the-last-of-us

What you said is really sounds like The Last of Us narration, but problem is that SE don't have good writers and sceneries, to do the same as Naughty Dog, and instead of utilize their strength which is great and powerful cutscenes, they chooses a wrong path, imho.
Even shakespeare writers can eventually write terrible fan fiction and even terrible fan fiction writers can eventually write shakespearing stories.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
@Jubileus You have a good points, and im agree with you.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01...-storytelling-inspiration-from-the-last-of-us

What you said is really sounds like The Last of Us narration, but problem is that SE don't have good writers and sceneries, to do the same as Naughty Dog, and instead of utilize their strength which is great and powerful cutscenes, they chooses a wrong path, imho.
I think it's difficult because they're trying this type of narration in such a large world. Too many opportunities for people to miss out on things.

The Last of Us was linear so players had ample opportunity to stumble upon very important story pieces.

Yeah ^^ i will be walking around and completing everything there is as well. That's how you reach 200 hours of playing (i actually enjoyed fishing as well, which is weird lol).
The devs put so much effort in to this game, i think that reviewing it basing yourself on your rushed experience is just an insult to them... there is so much to see and do
I am definitely one of those people who will take my time soaking in every piece of info the game has to offer. I'll probably surpass 200+ hours since I really do take it easy in exploring xD

Nice writing @Jubileus .

Even shakespeare writers can eventually write terrible fan fiction and even terrible fan fiction writers can eventually write shakespearing stories.
Thank you :)

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
And even if the game scored in the 80s, people considering such a score as being low seriously need to rethink their rating scale. Games aren't reviewed compared to high rated games from the 90s. Standards and expectations have changed since then. So the rating a game received nearly a decade ago, or even further back, doesn't scale linearly with what a game would get today. They simply don't compare like for like. There are many factors to be applied when it comes to rating of games, and time simply isn't one of them.
Well, I don't think anyone would particularly mind a high 80s Metacritic score, because very few games have 90+ Metacritic scores nowadays.

But the problem with a low 80s Metacritic score isn't that it's low in comparison to the PS1/PS2 games or even that it's similar to FFXIII -- it's that it's barely higher than World of Final Fantasy's 78.

...on the other hand, I think it's safe to assume that the bit about only bigger sites having (presently) received review copies is true (since there's independent confirmation on that -- I read speculation from a smaller reviewer on GAF that review code had been sent only to outlets with debug consoles, for some reason), and a lot of the lowest scores from WoFF came from outlets whose names are most familiar to me -- Destructoid, EGM, IGN, and Polygon each gave a 70, while Gamespot gave it a 60. So it's possible that the Metacritic score for FFXV could start out relatively low but increase as more outlets get the chance to review it.

With that said, we've seen a lot of positivity from the (generally big) outlets with preview builds of the first 2-5 chapters.

And, from what I've read about the impressions of people who actually played the game, the game actually gets stronger in a lot of ways the further you get.

Most of the complaints about story are that it's too sparse in the open-world section, but people who've completed the game tend to say that it picks up in the linear section, with the final chapter and ending being the best part.

Likewise, complaints about presentation tend to focus on the not-really-a-cutscene NPC interaction "cutscenes" used heavily in the first half, with impressions of the second half improving due to greater use of proper cinematics and set-pieces.

Sidequests -- the sort of side content you'd be most likely to do when rushing through -- can be somewhat filler-y, but more extensive side content like dungeons and Niflheim bases have been getting a lot of praise.

The biggest question, I think, is whether reviewers will understand that the game seems to want its players to spend most of their open-world time doing post-game stuff. I don't think the EDGE guy did. =/

DLC outfit for Cindy? :)
I really hope so! It's so much more appropriate. XD

AverageAfro

PSICOM Soldier
Aug 3, 2016
So that new control scheme looks pretty fricking cool. I was always going to use Scheme B as it had defend on LB (I'm XB1) and that made it easier to switch from attacking to defending, or quickly hitting the defense prompts on time. Now we have C and I think I'll be using that. I had a problem in JD where I kept accidentally hitting Y to warp and it would bring up a menu and break the flow. Having the attack on what I assume will be RB and not RT (as it's usually flipped on XB, and if not I can flip them anyway) makes it really nice, it will free up my right thumb for more control over the camera (curse vegetation) and it will put the warp button back where I felt it should be.
This is nice. Depending on how much I actually feel the need to change the camera while I'm playing I might actually go back to B and swap Y and B on my controller. I'll have to see how good of a job they did on fixing the few issues.

On the topic you're all discussing. I think the best thing to do is wait until Monday/Tuesday and see what's actually going to happen. I'll be a bit disappointed if this game gets a low 80's score as I think that'll be reviewers being harsh on it unnecessarily, and we've already seen how inept some of these reviewers are at comprehension. What I think the game will get is an 86. Calling it now.

TwoDotsO

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 30, 2016
Don't hate me guys:

Yes, I'm continuing the trend set out by GAF by posting from the car. The game hit the stores in the Benelux today. Some stores might be selling the game already, but don't count on it. I got this one from a small local store in The Netherlands.

Anyone living in The Netherlands can PM me for the specific info.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
If impressions are anything to go by I could see why it would get a low 80 metascore. Personally I feel like I would be giving the game about a 85.

Jul 16, 2015
So I missed out on a lot of the conversation yesterday since I was busy but am I to believe that the impressions of the game are extremely negative on various sites?. Is it just hyperbolic shit posting about the game?.

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
So I missed out on a lot of the conversation yesterday since I was busy but am I to believe that the impressions of the game are extremely negative on various sites?. Is it just hyperbolic shit posting about the game?.
I haven't entered spoiler thread on Neogaf, but non-spoiler impressions are pretty good for the most part, except for the story in the first half of the game, which is pretty much non-existant.
I haven't actually seen extreme negativity, just some flaws here and there. Everything is really vague right now if you didn't get spoiled.
Some people said that story is good and well directed in second part, but feels rushed.

Jul 16, 2015
I haven't entered spoiler thread on Neogaf, but non-spoiler impressions are pretty good for the most part, except for the story in the first half of the game, which is pretty much non-existant.
I haven't actually seen extreme negativity, just some flaws here and there. Everything is really vague right now if you didn't get spoiled.
Some people said that story is good and well directed in second part, but feels rushed.
Why is it that people keep talking about the meta score being like low 80's?. FFXV News Mog(MoogleKupoCake) on Twitter says that they think the game is going to get a score of 70. That seems to be basing that off the impressions. Seems like a crazy leap just from a few impressions honestly.

Jul 16, 2015
I'm glad that you said that they are mostly positive though.
I think its sarcasm from him, he did it before. :)

But earlier today we were discussing just one random twitt, i don't know who is this guy, but he said average score for the game will be low 80's.
Is that based off of his own experiences playing the full game?.