Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I think it was in a Kotaku article where Tabata said they had to cut the invasion because it would have added a year of development, and they were on a stupidly unrealistic timeline to begin with. Ironically, now that they're supporting it 2 years after launch and the engine is complete, it *could* be added. But that would mean ret-conning all of a feature-length movie and the beginning of the game.
Thats not the source i'm talking about though, which the subject was actually centered on why a playable invasion wasn't gonna happen with current FFXV prior to release.
Here's the quote from the Kotaku interview.

"Schreier: At this point it’s become clear that the E3 2013 trailer, where FFXV was first revealed, that was CGI—that was more of an idea than an actual product. But a lot of people are wondering—because it came out that the Niflheim invasion, you won’t actually see it now, just hear about it—people are wondering why you decided to make that change?

Tabata: When we first sat down to re-plan the project that’s Final Fantasy XV, we really looked at which elements we need and should use and could do to create that kind of unique gameplay experience that we wouldn’t really get anywhere else. It was a very in-depth discussion about what elements to keep and what to throw away or change. We felt because the theme we’re trying to handle here with the story is such a massive epic tale, we really couldn’t fit all of that into the game that we had the time to make. So we wanted to show the essential things to get the best story across, which is where we decided on that—that’s reflected in the final form of the game.

It’s not that we don’t need to show the Niflheim invasion to get the story across, but because that episode is something that would take up so much effort and time that rather than force it into the game, we started up its own separate project independently, and that’s the tale we wanted to tell with the film. That’s why we moved that to Kingsglaive. From a story perspective we’d have to have both the game and the film, both of these together in one package, but realistically that’s not something we could have done in one game, it’s too much.

It’s very similar to the kind of decision we had to ask ourselves, OK do we spend another six years to develop that whole complete package as one game or do we spend three years to do it in the way that we’re doing now? I think, it really doesn’t affect it which one you get to see—from a story perspective whether you see it as part of the game or through the film, and how we tell that story is not such a thing which is affected by that choice. We really are confident that we’ve made a really great experience with that. We felt the most important thing we needed to depict through the game was that idea of traveling together with these comrades and watching them all grow and develop as people emotionally at the same time. We really have gotten that in there, so from a story perspective I think we’ve done the best we can."

So, basically, it came down to time issues. They couldn't fit the creation of the opening Insomnia event without lengthening development even more than it already had been. Which was unacceptable for Tabata, the team, and SQEX! They needed to get the story into a single game, which was impossible, so they did the best they could and saved the Insomnia invasion using Kingsglaive.

And before everyone starts throwing muck about, the DLC episode stuff wasn't decided upon until almost at release, and wouldn't have either had this much quality or been lengthened into 2018 without fan support of FFXV as it is now.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
The thing is, even that would take as long as developing the entire city.

Why? The game starts as or after the invasion on Insomnia takes place. Insomnia as a ''hub'' has no significance to the progression of the story, besides the fact it's a wasteland. So then they would have to write an entire opening/prologue chapter. They could make it small and compact with a short sequence, but then what's the point? If they would halfass the job, then people would complain and if they try to make it something worthwhile, it'll take too long.

Realistically, it's not worth it to retcon the existing content already available. That said, I would love to see it, but I'd rather get something we haven't seen.
The Insomnia thing is not so much a story thing, but more of a character progression thing.

We had tour missions in the game, and those could lead to "flashback" scenes with the party member we're with, and that flashback could take place in Insomnia. The same areas could be used for all of the characters.

This way, nothing gets retconned (I'm not a fan of that) and the bros, Regis, and Noctis's relationship with these characters gets more depth.

We haven't actually seem this in the game yet though. I mean, we've seen concept arts of Insomnia, but other than the Citadel gates and the little streets, we don't really know too much about it.

It's just an idea though, so there's no way of knowing whether Insomnia will get developed or not.

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
The thing is, even that would take as long as developing the entire city.

Why? The game starts as or after the invasion on Insomnia takes place. Insomnia as a ''hub'' has no significance to the progression of the story, besides the fact it's a wasteland. So then they would have to write an entire opening/prologue chapter. They could make it small and compact with a short sequence, but then what's the point? If they would halfass the job, then people would complain and if they try to make it something worthwhile, it'll take too long.

Realistically, it's not worth it to retcon the existing content already available. That said, I would love to see it, but I'd rather get something we haven't seen.
Why do people keep saying this? The game starts with Regis sending Noctis off on his journey, i.e. Insomnia is still unscathed (and if I remember correctly it doesn't fall until Noctis and co. decide to stay at Galdin Quay, but regardless of that, my point still stands). An Insomnia prologue (as in, before Noctis and co. leave the city) would in no way affect the timeline nor would there be the need to retcon anything.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
for some reason i missed the last point of shuya's translation:

"Although Ardyn came first in the survey and Luna second, they will not follow the survey strictly and may betray some expectations. And they want to make updates to entice those players who cleared the game to come back for more."

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017

"Although Ardyn came first in the survey and Luna second, they will not follow the survey strictly and may betray some expectations. And they want to make updates to entice those players who cleared the game to come back for more."
I'm not too worried about that, I'm excited that Episode Ardyn is thing now.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
The Insomnia thing is not so much a story thing, but more of a character progression thing.

We had tour missions in the game, and those could lead to "flashback" scenes with the party member we're with, and that flashback could take place in Insomnia. The same areas could be used for all of the characters.

This way, nothing gets retconned (I'm not a fan of that) and the bros, Regis, and Noctis's relationship with these characters gets more depth.

We haven't actually seem this in the game yet though. I mean, we've seen concept arts of Insomnia, but other than the Citadel gates and the little streets, we don't really know too much about it.

It's just an idea though, so there's no way of knowing whether Insomnia will get developed or not.

Hell, while it would take resources, I'd love if that would lead to some of the scenes we had in Brotherhood. They should have been in game cutscenes when you complete those tour missions.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016

Maybe this means actually adding some more post game superbosses (Diamond weapon, cerberus and ultros PLZ) and potentially adding a better extended ending and bossfights, a hard mode with an extra bossfight or two at the end. This game needs things like that, along with fixing chapters 9-12 and 14

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Hell, while it would take resources, I'd love if that would lead to some of the scenes we had in Brotherhood. They should have been in game cutscenes when you complete those tour missions.
Yes, that was what I had in mind as well.

They could act as complimentary scenes in the game that players get to see when you complete a tour mission with the bro of choice.

Seeing what their lives and interactions were like before they left Insomnia would be a very welcome addition and would flesh out the characters immensely.

An Insomnia prologue (as in, before Noctis and co. leave the city) would in no way affect the timeline nor would there be the need to retcon anything.
Basically this.

Overall, we have no idea what they're going to do so we're just throwing ideas out there for the sake of discussion and sharing.

This is all harmless speculation in the name of fun anyway.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Yes, that was what I had in mind as well.

They could act as complimentary scenes in the game that players get to see when you complete a tour mission with the bro of choice.

Seeing what their lives and interactions were like before they left Insomnia would be a very welcome addition and would flesh out the characters immensely.

Basically this.

Overall, we have no idea what they're going to do so we're just throwing ideas out there for the sake of discussion and sharing.

This is all harmless speculation in the name of fun anyway.
Indeed, while I have ideas of my own, I'm just glad we're getting more story content, at launch back in 2016, while I liked the story of Final Fantasy XV, the story was lacking in some areas, and was a little too short, and these updates are improving some areas, especially the DLC. I'm willing to wait for after 2018 to play this game again in full once everything out, in this order, and if the other two new DLC Episodes' time frames get revealed, I'll think of when to re-play them.:

Episode Ardyn; Before anything else.
Brotherhood
Kingsglaive
FFXV: Episode Gladiolus; after the Steylif Grove dungeon in Chapter 7.
FFXV: Episode Ignis; After Chapter 9 or 10.
FFXV: Episode Prompto; During Chapter 12
FFXV; From beginning to end.

I'm not including Comrades in this line-up because I already beat it, and it was quite a grind, and fun, I worked hard on it, so I don't want to erase that hard work. I'll watch videos of the cutscenes, though. Next year's content has the potential to change things big time for me, and for me, it's worth it for waiting things out for re-playing a game for the full story. Here's hoping for a fully realized story by next year.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
is there any confirmation about if the character swap will be available outside battles?

i rewatched the video and it seems the button prompt of changing chars disables after the fight (i'm not sure on this one); also triangle is related to Glaive Arts, which i think are the special techniques of each member?

Last edited:

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
is there any confirmation about if the character swap will be available outside battles?

i rewatched the video and it seems the button prompt of changing chars disables after the fight (i'm not sure on this one); also triangle is related to Glaive Arts, which i think are the special techniques of each member?
I thought it was mentioned you can use them outside of battle too?
Glaive Arts is only the name of Gladio's Triangle abilities, for Ignis's Triangle ability it's Total Clarity and for Prompto's Triangle ability it's Crackshot.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Whoever she is she has a big ass spear impaled through her head and in her back, I don't know who could have done that to her or what those winged figures are either.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
didn't see this mentioned on Shuya's translation i think (btw thanks a lot for that)

https://twitter.com/Kume856/status/935881493506699266

"Long time goal (Completed)
Make characters Playable
Implement Avatar system

Middle time goal (almost Completed, but they will bring more)
Enriches the latter part of the game
More event scenes etc

Short-time goal (Completed)
Enriches Ch13.
Strengthened Ring

Whoever she is she has a big ass spear impaled through her head and in her back, I don't know who could have done that to her or what those winged figures are either.
yeah, you can also see Reapers impaling monsters with spears in that Myth mural painting of the prophecy; my understanding of it is that during development the Old Kings took their place as the defense of Insomnia (there's some statues of reapers in the movie tho).

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Don’t you guys think this is Etro more than Shiva?

I heard that Ardyn opened the gate and killed Etro in the original story plot.
That particular "leaked plot summary" hasn't be proved or backed up with anything other than bluster and fanaticism. I'd say that's an early concept of Shiva's giantess corpse. And Reaper-like beings were a part of XV until fairly late when age rating issues forced their removal (probably due to China as they've got very specific rules about not allowing anything that makes people think outside the box...or outside the local faith systems...or indeed outside or about anything much that doesn't have a government approval stamp...full stop.)

But here's something interesting. A piece from the same artbook shows sketches of one of the Lucii.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
didn't see this mentioned on Shuya's translation i think (btw thanks a lot for that)

https://twitter.com/Kume856/status/935881493506699266

"Long time goal (Completed)
Make characters Playable
Implement Avatar system

Middle time goal (almost Completed, but they will bring more)
Enriches the latter part of the game
More event scenes etc

Short-time goal (Completed)
Enriches Ch13.
Strengthened Ring

yeah, you can also see Reapers impaling monsters with spears in that Myth mural painting of the prophecy; my understanding of it is that during development the Old Kings took their place as the defense of Insomnia (there's some statues of reapers in the movie tho).
I wonder if that translation of the middle term goal is correct because all they've added so far are cutscenes to chapter 12 and an optional play route to chapter 13. Not that I'm shitting on them for those 2 things because they are great options, I was just hoping for much more in that front.

We'll see what they do I guess

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
I wonder if that translation of the middle term goal is correct because all they've added so far are cutscenes to chapter 12 and an optional play route to chapter 13. Not that I'm shitting on them for those 2 things because they are great options, I was just hoping for much more in that front.

We'll see what they do I guess
Yeah, we'll see what they'll do with the second half in the future, I'd take any story content for it, even if it is just a small amount for the second half, this game needs as much as it can, even if it doesn't improve the entire second half, as I want a story worth experiencing. But this is just my opinion, just putting that out there.