Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
I just got home and I didn't expect those episodes being uncovered today!
-Episode Ardyn: nothing new, nothing that we didn't expect
-Episode Aranea: kind of meh, I didn't really like her and I don't feel like I need more content of her....but I will be happy to explore new cities, and maybe she will party with Ravus? He seems waaay more interesting
-Episode Luna: I don't really get if it's going to be alternate timeline, or her life after death...I don't like too many alternate routes because there will always be the canon one, even if I will like happy ending more there's always going to be this "but he died anyway so I could as well read a fanfiction" rip
-Episode Noctis: okay please no more World of Ruin/destroyed Insomnia. It feels like they are doing DLC for DLC (Royal Edition)....if they want to show us alternate stuff then I will be more than happy to get Versus or Omen - _ - or showing Noctis and boys staying in Insomnia during the invasion/going back when seeing airships (like in the trailer). This will be most probable because they have a lot of it already done.

Feb 19, 2018
The way they talked about Episode Nyx makes me wonder if it actually would be playable Kingsglaive. Knowing how the devs think about FFXV and the content they want to see vs what the fans want to see makes me think they'd sooner make Episode Nyx his backstory in Galhad and/or fighting for Regis before the events of the movie.
True, but I'm mostly going off the fact that they used the movie to justify not giving him the episode. That's what made me assume playable KG but I guess we'll never really know unless they ultimately decide to add it as a parting gift or elaborate on it in some type of interview or book. Episode Ravus I'm entirely convinced though that we're not getting at this point since Aranea's is covering the events and locations I wanted out of his episode anyway. I guess they chose her for her different gameplay style.

TheLittleOnionKnight

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 28, 2018
I was really looking forward to the fact that Square was planning 4 DLCs/expansions to hopefully fix some of the game’s main issues but honestly this reveal left a bad taste in my mouth overall. The fact that all 4 of them are being conceived around the notion of an alternate happy ending is a direction I really didn’t want them to go in. Why they would focus resources on creating another ending when the original ending is one of the only solid story beats in the game and there are more pressing story issues (lack of set-up, for example) is beyond me. Episodes Ardyn, Luna and even Aranea could be a great addition to the main campaign, but that depends on how much or little of their DLCs is designed around the alternate storyline.

I’m highly sceptical of the Luna episode, though. That description reads like the total opposite of what I and many other people were hoping for her character. Her death was criticized for feeling unearned and even emotionally manipulative due to a lack of set-up, but it seems they are only expanding her character beyond her death. And if that expansion is very focused on the alternate ending, then that won’t do much to fix her poor treatment in the main storyline.

I was really hoping for an Episode Insomnia to help set up important plot points or an expanded Niflheim for Noctis and the bros to travel on so the open world wouldn’t come to an end so abruptly, but alas, we are getting the highly unnecessary “The Final Strike” instead (IMO).

Hopefully episode Ardyn and Aranea are more connected to the main story. Episode Aranea could be a great way of addressing the fact that the Empire suddenly disappeared from the main game and get to actually see Tenebrae before it falls (I’m trying to end on a positive note!).

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
I was really looking forward to the fact that Square was planning 4 DLCs/expansions to hopefully fix some of the game’s main issues but honestly this reveal left a bad taste in my mouth overall. The fact that all 4 of them are being conceived around the notion of an alternate happy ending is a direction I really didn’t want them to go in. Why they would focus resources on creating another ending when the original ending is one of the only solid story beats in the game and there are more pressing story issues (lack of set-up, for example) is beyond me. Episodes Ardyn, Luna and even Aranea could be a great addition to the main campaign, but that depends on how much or little of their DLCs is designed around the alternate storyline.

I’m highly sceptical of the Luna episode, though. That description reads like the total opposite of what I and many other people were hoping for her character. Her death was criticized for feeling unearned and even emotionally manipulative due to a lack of set-up, but it seems they are only expanding her character beyond her death. And if that expansion is very focused on the alternate ending, then that won’t do much to fix her poor treatment in the main storyline.

I was really hoping for an Episode Insomnia to help set up important plot points or an expanded Niflheim for Noctis and the bros to travel on so the open world wouldn’t come to an end so abruptly, but alas, we are getting the highly unnecessary “The Final Strike” instead (IMO).

Hopefully episode Ardyn and Aranea are more connected to the main story. Episode Aranea could be a great way of addressing the fact that the Empire suddenly disappeared from the main game and get to actually see Tenebrae before it falls (I’m trying to end on a positive note!).
I don't think Aranea has anything to do with the alternate stuff, hence the "Side story" title and not a numbered DLC, and likely focusing on expanding the 2nd half of the game story-wise. The other 3 likely have to do with each other and achieving this alternate ending, BUT, I think the majority of each will be part of the canon story. Ardyn's past and the stuff that happens to Luna will all likely be things they go through in the current timeline, but will somehow be able to prompt Noctis in giving a more happy ending.

My vote is that the Crystal/Chaos is the true enemy, or at least that's how they will paint it. I don't think these will be specifically "what if" scenarios.

TheLittleOnionKnight

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 28, 2018
Also, I'm all for getting more insight into Ardyn's motivations, but if the happy ending includes the main characters embracing him in a friendly manner (like the concept art) even after he orchestrated Insomnia's fall and casued the death of tons of people, I'll be judging.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Call me a party pooper but... why are they focusing on the alternative ending nonsense?

Honestly... a part of me is thinking that they never should have introduced it at all in episode Ignis.

They’ve gone and done what I feared they would do: focusing on non important stuff over the real things they should be focusing on, like boosting the main games chapters with content to mesh the story together well.

Ardyn sounds good. Aranea sounds like they’re tying fan service with potential main story stuff.

Luna? Sigh let’s see what this is about since I can’t even fathom how we’re going to play as her, or if they’re going to bombard us with alternative nonsense.

Episode Noctis should’ve been the actual game...

I don’t know... I’m feeling quite disappointed.

We don’t even know if they’re integrating all this into the main game do we?

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Honestly, I'll say it again, we just don't know the context of how they will do everything. Just wait till we get more info before getting super disappointed. Right now you are painting a picture of how you think it will go. 99% it will not be the way you think.

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Yes, we don't know much about it now, but what they've announced is disappointing.

They're introducing mod tools for single player... need I say more?

What they're doing now is, they're trying to please everyone.

Modding, alternative endings, Aranea episode (I love Aranea but an entire episode focused around her screams trying to please fans), and Luna sounds like a whole heap of "what if" content.

Who the fuck asked for single player character modding? That's greatly diminishing the importance of Noctis's story in the main game.

What gets me is, this does not sound like content that will be integrated into the main story (aside from perhaps Aranea since that includes the fall of Niflheim)

They're doing something wholly unnecessary and it seems to me like they're creating a game fans want, not what they want.

"The concept for the new DLC is to “realize a future everyone longed for.” They will bring an “alternate grand finale.” It won’t overwrite the existing ending, but it will be an option for those who want"

https://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-xv-dlc-new-finale-announcements/

This says it all.

Undermining the main story.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Yes, we don't know much about it now, but what they've announced is disappointing.

They're introducing mod tools for single player... need I say more?

What they're doing now is, they're trying to please everyone.

Modding, alternative endings, Aranea episode (I love Aranea but an entire episode focused around her screams trying to please fans), and Luna sounds like a whole heap of "what if" content.

Who the fuck asked for single player character modding? That's greatly diminishing the importance of Noctis's story in the main game.

What gets me is, this does not sound like content that will be integrated into the main story (aside from perhaps Aranea since that includes the fall of Niflheim)

They're doing something wholly unnecessary and it seems to me like they're creating a game fans want, not what they want.

"The concept for the new DLC is to “realize a future everyone longed for.” They will bring an “alternate grand finale.” It won’t overwrite the existing ending, but it will be an option for those who want"

https://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-xv-dlc-new-finale-announcements/

This says it all.

Undermining the main story.
I think the Episodes that could be fully canon besides alternative choices are most likely Ardyn and Aranea's Episodes. I understand your disappointment, I do, but I'm not going to start up a rant about it until Episode: Ardyn is in my hands to see how things will truly be like, and we need more information and clarification, because this is what happens when you're vague about things.

ToastyRamen

Balamb Garden Freshman
Mar 26, 2018
Moreover, I see people are getting angry about the "happy ending". However, Square isn't just collecting feedback from one source. There could very well be a vocal group asking for a happier end. Possibly in Japan since I mostly see Westerners asking for main game expansions a la The Witcher.
This is so true

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I think the Episodes that could be fully canon besides alternative choices are most likely Ardyn and Aranea's Episodes. I understand your disappointment, I do, but I'm not going to start up a rant about it until Episode: Ardyn is in my hands to see how things will truly be like, and we need more information and clarification, because this is what happens when you're vague about things.
I agree that the Ardyn and Aranea DLC will be canon.

Luna and Noctis seem wholly unnecessary thus far, especially when there stuff fans were obviously excited about, like new areas, Insomnia prequel, and even Cartanica.

For episode Luna... it's a post death non canon scenario from the sounds of things. This does not strike me as necessary at all...

Knowing that they're working on something that like is aggravating and just makes me shake my head.

I'm travelling right now and will be occupied with sightseeing for the next couple of months, so I'll be distracted from all of this, but still, it kinda sucks man. A lot.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
I agree that the Ardyn and Aranea DLC will be canon.

Luna and Noctis seem wholly unnecessary thus far, especially when there stuff fans were obviously excited about, like new areas, Insomnia prequel, and even Cartanica.

For episode Luna... it's a post death non canon scenario from the sounds of things. This does not strike me as necessary at all...

Knowing that they're working on something that like is aggravating and just makes me shake my head.

I'm travelling right now and will be occupied with sightseeing for the next couple of months, so I'll be distracted from all of this, but still, it kinda sucks man. A lot.
I understand, I do think the first two Episodes will have a canon ending and alternate ending in a similar structure Episode: Ignis handled it; beat the main canon route, and after you beat it, you get 'Extra Verse' aka alternate ending after beating it, and play that to get the alternate ending. But, again, I understand, and I'm getting Episode: Lunafreya to see what will happen, and I'm open for more content for her, and as for Episode: Noctis, that's debate-table currently, but I think Ardyn and Aranea's Episodes will be fine for the most part, as long as they have a canon ending.

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
no cartanica and insomnia prequel makes me real sad
Well, if there's one thing to take from all of this is that supposedly Square Enix is paying careful attention to fan input, so if people are skeptical about Square's choices for these DLC I suggest we don't stay quiet until they release them, like some people have suggested, and actually be vocal about our opinions. The DLC are still 9 months away so they must still be in early development stages and subject to change. If we don't want these DLC to focus so much on an alternate ending we must try our best to let them know. If we want more content for Luna in the MAIN storyline, we can still campaign for it. If we really want pre-invasion Insomnia, we can still ask for it, who knows, perhaps they will include it eventually. As long as the expansions are profitable for Square Enix, they have nothing to lose. The worst we can do is keep quiet and let the discussions die out.