Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
This might be too deep of a cut for this forum but I have this gut feeling we're gonna see Chronodia (or something similar) in Episode Noctis. If he turns against the Astrals (assuming this is because they've made sacrifices of Ardyn, Regis, and Luna and Noct wants to see those 3 happy) and in turn the crystal, I could TOTALLY see them slapping those 5/6 on the crystal like the fiends from FF1 with Etro or something replacing Chronodia's human-y form. It might not even be called Chronodia but I'm predicting we'll see something similar if Episode Noctis goes that route.
I somehow doubt anything like Chronodia would appear.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
The other 3, starting with Ardyn, will all be "post game stories", meaning you possibly have to clear the original ending first before the DLC unlock. It seems that Ardyn's episode will spark a chain of events that allows the future to be changed through Noct's, even though it's 99% likely to be canon!

This is why I think that these won't be silly wasteful episodes that give us only a "happy" ending, it's also possible that this could possibly lead to a more optional, extended, more grandiose ending.

For example, people wanted a bigger final boss for the series? Ardyn not enough? Wanted some form of Chaos or some ridiculous meta-physical being? Episode Noct can possibly do that for people who wanted it. Ardyn crypictically says to Noct that he's being used by the crystal. Not saying that Ardyn's fight would change (please god no we do not need a monster form), but the Starscourge itself or the crystal could be pulling the strings and THAT I'd be game for.

This is why I can be excited for the 3 DLC. All 3 could possibly paint a picture as to how something like this could be accomplished. It gives us a chance to have a bigger, more FF like ending for the classic nerds like me, while also not stomping or shitting in the ending we already have, because it was perfect.

That's what I'm dreading, honestly.

The problem for me is this -- the theme of the original ending can't survive if Noct's sacrifice is made suboptimal. A story in which the hero resigns to fate unnecessarily is a very different story than one where there really are no good options.

With that said, there is one path they can take which would resolve the tension, and their clear desire to include Luna and Pryna in the happy ending almost requires something of the sort. Instead of removing the need for sacrifice, what they need to do is leverage the possibility of a more-than-simply-symbolic resurrection.

Or, in other words, instead of rejecting the Astrals' plan of sacrificing the King to save the world, Noct and Luna reject death itself and confront the Astrals primarily because they're in charge of maintaining the status quo. Noct and Luna get to kick Death in the teeth, the final scene in the original game gains an alternate interpretation, and the original ending maintains its status as the best that could be done under the circumstances.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Based on this DLC Road-map, it looks like I'll schedule my replay og FFXV in the Spring next year after all four Episodes come out, but I'll only include Ardyn and Aranea's Episodes for my playthrough, in addition to the Season 1 DLC Episodes, as I don't think Lunafreya's Episode is needed considering where it might be set, and Noctis' Episode will definitely not be included since it's alternate, here's my chronological order I might play FFXV in next year.:

Episode: Ardyn (Acting as a 'prologue' of sorts, setting the story up 2,000 years ago.)

FFXV: Chapters 1-8

Episode: Gladiolus (Play in Chapter 8 at a campfire.)

FFXV: Chapters 9-10

Episode: Ignis (Play in Chapter 10 after arriving at station.)

FFXV: Chapters 11-12

Episode: Aranea: (Play after meeting Aranea in Tenebrae in Chapter 12. This is subject to change depending on what happens.)

FFXV: Chapter 13 (Both Verses one and two.)

Episode: Prompto (Play in Chapter 13 in a rest room after rescuing Prompto.)

Chapter 14 (With Royal Pack DLC to finish things off, and I may play the final scene from Episode: Ignis, Noctis and Ignis' conversation at the final campsite, just after arriving in Insomnia.)

As for Comrades, that's up for debate.

@Vankwisha Yeah, we need clarification, it's vague at best, but at least I'm taking Ardyn and Aranea's Episodes for my replay next year for FFXV to get the complete experience.

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
There's still a lot we don't know in regards to their game plan and free updates generally aren't announced unless they're gigantic. Hell the ride with Ardyn out of the disc of Cauthess was pretty much added secretly so I wouldn't lose hope for more free updates that patch up the main narrative's flow especially around the time of the DLCs since they'll be adding compatibility updates and whatnot. We may not be getting monthly updates anymore but that doesn't mean we probably won't get any updates at all. I can see them adding stuff to main game along with the Comrades patches like they did for March. Anyways I wouldn't totally lose hope for more fixes of that nature.
Yeah they added several content that wasn't mentioned in the first roadmap annpuncement, so its possible.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
its possible we are overrating the alternate stuff, maybe itll just work like ep ignis

Ep Ardyn - main canon story + verse 2 leading towards the alt finale

Ep Aranea is not involved (doesnt have a numeral)

Ep Luna - main canon story (she'll fail to change Noctis fate) + verse 2 leading towards the alt finale (she succeeds)

Ep Noctis - main canon story + the alt finale or totally alternative

It just seems too risky to release two dlcs or one totally non-canon
This could be likely too, good post. I
I think the vague description of the last two are also throwing people off, so further clarification would be nice, not the first time its happened lol.

Oh, forgot to leave my impressions.

Episode Ravus & Aranea i'm fine with especially with the latter having more Nifilheim content

Episode Luna, again too vague for me to tell but i have doubts the focus will lean entirely after her parting.

Episode Noctis admittedly i'd prefer is this was reserved for someone else, and while i'll remain cautious with alternate shenanigans i'm taking the wait and see approach that it it could potentially at least seem better than described.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
That's what I'm dreading, honestly.

The problem for me is this -- the theme of the original ending can't survive if Noct's sacrifice is made suboptimal. A story in which the hero resigns to fate unnecessarily is a very different story than one where there really are no good options.

With that said, there is one path they can take which would resolve the tension, and their clear desire to include Luna and Pryna in the happy ending almost requires something of the sort. Instead of removing the need for sacrifice, what they need to do is leverage the possibility of a more-than-simply-symbolic resurrection.

Or, in other words, instead of rejecting the Astrals' plan of sacrificing the King to save the world, Noct and Luna reject death itself and confront the Astrals primarily because they're in charge of maintaining the status quo. Noct and Luna get to kick Death in the teeth, the final scene in the original game gains an alternate interpretation, and the original ending maintains its status as the best that could be done under the circumstances.
You know, I've got the feeling their "ideal" ending doesn't have to include Noctis surviving the game's events, or either him or Lunafreya returning from the dead. As to the possibility of Ardyn being saved, that I'd enjoy seeing. On the other hand, their statements about it seem to lean more towards that interpretation. Oh well, people will rant and rave as they do about anything that's got the potential of any type of controversy or debate.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
You know, I've got the feeling their "ideal" ending doesn't have to include Noctis surviving the game's events, or either him or Lunafreya returning from the dead. As to the possibility of Ardyn being saved, that I'd enjoy seeing. On the other hand, their statements about it seem to lean more towards that interpretation. Oh well, people will rant and rave as they do about anything that's got the potential of any type of controversy or debate.
The picture they released strongly suggests that they want an "everybody lives" ending.

With that said, there is the troll possibility that Instead of Ardyn having the super bad ending and Noct having the super good one, Ardyn's episode allows him to redeem himself and Noct's attempt to fight fate ends disastrously. XD;

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
thats the problem, ideally it shouldnt have any controversy, i think this project has already too many questionable decisions; sometimes it seems SQ doesnt "get" what the players really want.

this is not the first time SQ does this, cofcofX-2Type-0secretendingcofocof

anyway, about guest composers, i think sakimoto would be a great choice for either Ep Ardyn (medieval setting) or Aranea (military setting), or maybe hamauzu for Aranea (futuristic and hi-tech setting)

edit:

new pic from essenthy (2014 walkthrough is real)

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
The title Dawn of the Future does makes me wonder will every character have an alternate ending

i think its safe to assume that all of them except episode aranea will have a verse 2 type of ending, and they'll all culminate into the alternate grand finale

i think in Ep Luna verse 2 Luna will succeed in saving Noctis from his fate (he will no longer need to die), so that will lead to Ep Noctis verse 2.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
i think its safe to assume that all of them except episode aranea will have a verse 2 type of ending, and they'll all culminate into the alternate grand finale

i think in Ep Luna verse 2 Luna will succeed in saving Noctis from his fate (he will no longer need to die), so that will lead to Ep Noctis verse 2.

This is what I'm hoping for. I'd love some alternate takes but hopefully there is a canon aspect to this whole thing. Discounting Aranea because I think it will be part of the main game.

For example: doing everything canonically for Ardyn and Luna gives you the Canon Noct ending (maybe an extension to the main ending or whatever). But doing the V2 endings for both give you a grand finale v2 ending for Nocts episode.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
This is what I'm hoping for. I'd love some alternate takes but hopefully there is a canon aspect to this whole thing. Discounting Aranea because I think it will be part of the main game.

For example: doing everything canonically for Ardyn and Luna gives you the Canon Noct ending (maybe an extension to the main ending or whatever). But doing the V2 endings for both give you a grand finale v2 ending for Nocts episode.
Perhaps Episode: Noctis could have an explorable World of Ruin to a decent extent as long as Cor isn't involved due to his involvement in the Royal Pack DLC, but who really knows for sure, and we already have an expanded Insomnia, and I don't mind alternative routes, as long as there's a canon route first and foremost.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
P
Perhaps Episode: Noctis could have an explorable World of Ruin to a decent extent as long as Cor isn't involved due to his involvement in the Royal Pack DLC, but who really knows for sure, and we already have an expanded Insomnia, and I don't mind alternative routes, as long as there's a canon route first and foremost.
I personally think that everything will be the same up until the final part of the Ardyn fight. Episode Ardyn will make Ardyn playable, so I have this feeling that Noctis won't kill Ardyn and meet him in the beyond, but instead pair with him on fighting that fate against the crystal in Nocts episode. Right there was where the game effectively ends gameplay wise, but I think the final strike will give even more final boss fights (Chaos, Etro?) that are potentially even more epic (I hope to fucking god) than what we have, which would be an extremely hard thing to top but that's all I can hope for now.

Episodes Ardyn and Luna will likely pinpoint on how this can even be possible.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
P

I personally think that everything will be the same up until the final part of the Ardyn fight. Episode Ardyn will make Ardyn playable, so I have this feeling that Noctis won't kill Ardyn and meet him in the beyond, but instead pair with him on fighting that fate against the crystal in Nocts episode. Right there was where the game effectively ends gameplay wise, but I think the final strike will give even more final boss fights (Chaos, Etro?) that are potentially even more epic (I hope to fucking god) than what we have, which would be an extremely hard thing to top but that's all I can hope for now.

Episodes Ardyn and Luna will likely pinpoint on how this can even be possible.
Who knows? We'll just have to wait and see, and I'm very excited to be finally playing as Ardyn and Aranea.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Apparently Aranea DLC is technically the actual fourth one they chose, right?
Yeah, they chose it over Ravus and Nyx. Which honestly im fine with if they are covering some important Niflheim stuff. I'm hoping hers cover more than just the downfall at Gralea.

I still hope they do one of these as a parting gift when they do the eventual complete edition.

Last edited: