Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
2) IMO, this is not needed, the city itself was never important for Noctis character.

4) The montage has most of the most important plot points from the game (sans Luna having the Ring) before and after the montage happens you are given tidbits about the politics, making the scene make sense.

5) I will repeat myself here, there's no intrinsical need for this to be added from the perspective of either the narrative or plot needing them to be functional. Wanting to add more just to meet a lenght and content checklist is not an argument I find to hold substance.

6) I think this part of the story is misunderstood and misread, you shouldn't care about Luna because of her character but because of what she means to Noctis, an example that comes to my head the relation between Wander and Mono from Shadow of The Colossus.
The core of the story is about Wander wanting to bring back Mono to life via making a deal with the "Devil". For the entirety of the game we never know or see Mono as a character or she is characterized, heck for the entirety of the game you never hear her talk, not even after she's revived, or why she's so important for our MC that he'll take on a task to slay Colossis for her revival. However, that's not important and it's not why their relation is emotional, it's emotional because the MC holds to such importance that he will take on the task of slaying colossal monsters to be finally reunited and its hard when their ideal reunion never happens.

While the framing of Noctis and Luna is not the same as Wander and Mono it, broadly speaking, holds the same intention. It's important and emotional because both look forward to be finally reunited after a long separation to fullfil their childhood promise (mainly Noctis) and respective calling and duties (mainly Luna) and after both go through personal struggles (Noctis not being quite ready to accept head on the duties of King and Luna pain of not being able to share her life with him as she dreamed) and other obstacles and finally both are in Altissia, their relation is made more emotional when all goes south as Luna loses her life and Noctis was unable to keep their promise. The relation reaches a new emotional peak when Noctis and Luna finally have their longed reunion after lots of struggles and pain, which unfortunately was only possible because of the death of both.
that kind of reminded me of hellblade: senua's sacrifice. apart from the main character's sickness it is also about saying goodbye to a beloved person. and trying to bring him back from death.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
I just got into interesting discussion on a fb page and that reminded me of omen trailer. is it in any way canon? apart from the "bad noctis" part there is also a part in which regis talks with bahamut. he's young there (but still uses walking stick...ugh square) so that would suggest that it's years before treaty signing. if that is canon that makes the whole game and movie even more sad...and also borns new questions :/

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
I just got into interesting discussion on a fb page and that reminded me of omen trailer. is it in any way canon? apart from the "bad noctis" part there is also a part in which regis talks with bahamut. he's young there (but still uses walking stick...ugh square) so that would suggest that it's years before treaty signing. if that is canon that makes the whole game and movie even more sad...and also borns new questions :/
Bahamuth shows Regis what would happen if he doesn't send Noctis to a trip, the same way Pryna does with Ignis.
He ask forgiveness because he has seen all the bad things that will happen and he will be the responsable for starting all of them, just to make sure the profecy is made.

It seem's that it's always needed to have someone taking care the profecy is fullfiled. First it was Regis, then Luna, then Ignis and finally Noctis. At any moment they can choose to not follow the route and break their destiny.
This is probably the way the Alternative ending/s will take place. Anytime the character's receive a premonition they will deny it.

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
IMO:

1) Translucent objects between characters and camera. (AKA: Action games 101)

2) Insomnia prologue. Let us become attached to the city and the normal life Noctis and co. lose when Insomnia falls.

3) More Regis in general. He is an important figure in Noctis’ journey. Makes us care about him.

4) Add important Kingslaive plot points. If they don’t feel like making it a gameplay sequence, at least incorporate the important scenes right before Noctis finds out about it in the newspaper. By that I mean proper, extended scenes. With sound. Not the weird, shoehorned montage that is in the game and that makes no sense at all for people who haven’t seen the movie.

5) Expanded Niflheim so it doesn’t suddenly feel like they run out of time/resources for the second half of the game. And no, it doesn’t have to be as big as Lucis. They can even connect the snowy area in Ep. Prompto to the area where Shiva is so they don’t have to build so many new assets.

6) More Luna in the CANON storyline. She barely gets any screentime before she dies. Make us care about her beforehand so her death has actual meaning to the player.

7) Anything for Clarus would be welcome. He is an important figure in the lives of 2 important characters (heck, 4 if you count Jared and Talcott), but Iris prefers to go on a cheerful date with Noctis instead of dealing with her loss.

7) Keep alternative storyline stuff to the absolute minimum. Please!
Exactly. Keeping the alternative stuff to a minimum!

Also, seeing the city where Noctis and the chocobros lead their regular lives is essential to understand what they lose. And yes, that montage was messy and not clear enough for people who haven’t seen the movie. The scenes are already made, they are perfectly capable of adding longer segments!

I can really see the potential in Luna to become a great, fleshed out character like they’ve done with other female leads in past FF titles, they just need to delve into her and her motivations more.

that would be amazing, it would end in a happy note but with a hint of sadness because the player already knows the tragic ending.

it would transmit this feeling of "the journey is just beginning again"
This would be a great final DLC. Almost like a send-off to FFXV!

I'm hoping if nothing else that those things are included as extra goodies in the in his episode. I'm trying to think of how they could still include that stuff even if they ultimately decide to focus on the alternative stuff for the most part. It would be kinda awesome if they included a sort of playable gallery of Noctis' memories regarding Regis, Insomnia, and some other background things like maybe his warp training. They could even include Nyx that way since he was apparently great at it even by royalty standards.
Well, given that they won't release these episodes until 2019, perhaps they'll be bigger than the previous ones, so maybe they won't focus on a single dungeon/plot-point and can have multiple set-pieces.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Exactly. Keeping the alternative stuff to a minimum!

Also, seeing the city where Noctis and the chocobros lead their regular lives is essential to understand what they lose. And yes, that montage was messy and not clear enough for people who haven’t seen the movie. The scenes are already made, they are perfectly capable of adding longer segments!

I can really see the potential in Luna to become a great, fleshed out character like they’ve done with other female leads in past FF titles, they just need to delve into her and her motivations more.

This would be a great final DLC. Almost like a send-off to FFXV!

Well, given that they won't release these episodes until 2019, perhaps they'll be bigger than the previous ones, so maybe they won't focus on a single dungeon/plot-point and can have multiple set-pieces.
I can see the new DLCs covering more than one point in time as a possibility, for Episode: Aranea, I do hope we get a decent portion of Gralea to explore, as well as the Niflheim Empire's fall in it's story. Perhaps we could also use Aranea's airship as a set-piece in her Episode.

Last edited:

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
Bahamuth shows Regis what would happen if he doesn't send Noctis to a trip, the same way Pryna does with Ignis.
He ask forgiveness because he has seen all the bad things that will happen and he will be the responsable for starting all of them, just to make sure the profecy is made.

It seem's that it's always needed to have someone taking care the profecy is fullfiled. First it was Regis, then Luna, then Ignis and finally Noctis. At any moment they can choose to not follow the route and break their destiny.
This is probably the way the Alternative ending/s will take place. Anytime the character's receive a premonition they will deny it.
thank you for your response. well, that makes episode luna and episode noctis a bit clearer what they can be about for me...maybe they could get in works this trailer. anyway, bahamut says that he only looks forward to one death. he means noctis or ardyn?

Feb 19, 2018
thank you for your response. well, that makes episode luna and episode noctis a bit clearer what they can be about for me...maybe they could get in works this trailer. anyway, bahamut says that he only looks forward to one death. he means noctis or ardyn?
At first I thought he was referring to Noctis but after having played the game Bahamut's answer comes off as far less of a straight forward one now and way more of a deflective one as in Ardyn's life is the only one that will satisfy him but he doesn't care how many will die in the process of getting him Ardyn's head on a silver platter. He's not being straight forward with Regis and thus making no promises that no one else will have to die to make his prophecy happen which is Regis' greatest fear as he'll be forced to foresake thousands for the cause. The dialogue in that little exchange definitely has underlying tones that only really become clear after you complete the story. Also to answer your other question yeah Omen is canon and is actually even considered an alternate timeline according to Square's chart from a while back. Basically it's probably a Verse 0 that ended in disaster and the main game is Verse 1 followed by the happy Verse 2.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
I'm okay having an Omen- Versus XIII "What If" scenario with Noctis, but just as the cherry on the cake.
The build up in the relationships between characters and the main plot development should be taken as a priority.

Tabata has said in a recent interview that the active players are no longer interested in fill the plot holes.
I'm against this sentence. I came to XV to experience a story of love, patternity, comradery, destiny, premonition dreams and death themes, because all those things where promoted by the developers, trailers and interviews.
So i thing the game needs to look what of this things have achieved, how reimplement what was lost and strenghten what was weak.

The complete experience should be made by delivering all that was originaly promised and not by giving content the fans demand. And i think this could still be the intention of the developers with the next dlc, but the posibility of this content missing this point scares me because is the last chance the game has to deliver what they builded up the 12 years that i have been following this game.

So pretty please, don't fail me with this.
The teased happy ending doesn't seem to fit with all this themes.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
its not even about filling plot holes or fixing anything, for me is about putting up exciting content (even better if its exciting and assuages some old complaints)

focus on alt events isnt gonna do it for me

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
At first I thought he was referring to Noctis but after having played the game Bahamut's answer comes off as far less of a straight forward one now and way more of a deflective one as in Ardyn's life is the only one that will satisfy him but he doesn't care how many will die in the process of getting him Ardyn's head on a silver platter. He's not being straight forward with Regis and thus making no promises that no one else will have to die to make his prophecy happen which is Regis' greatest fear as he'll be forced to foresake thousands for the cause. The dialogue in that little exchange definitely has underlying tones that only really become clear after you complete the story. Also to answer your other question yeah Omen is canon and is actually even considered an alternate timeline according to Square's chart from a while back. Basically it's probably a Verse 0 that ended in disaster and the main game is Verse 1 followed by the happy Verse 2.
huh bahamut is a harsh bitch, ain't he...well does that mean that regis knew who ardyn was? that would make kingsglaive a bit questionable then...but if we take this chart into consideration, then there's also dawn trailer which is marked as " canon storyline" and whelp, none of this appeared or were mentioned in the final game.

Feb 19, 2018
I'm okay having an Omen- Versus XIII "What If" scenario with Noctis, but just as the cherry on the cake.
The build up in the relationships between characters and the main plot development should be taken as a priority.

Tabata has said in a recent interview that the active players are no longer interested in fill the plot holes.
I'm against this sentence. I came to XV to experience a story of love, patternity, comradery, destiny, premonition dreams and death themes, because all those things where promoted by the developers, trailers and interviews.
So i thing the game needs to look what of this things have achieved, how reimplement what was lost and strenghten what was weak.

The complete experience should be made by delivering all that was originaly promised and not by giving content the fans demand. And i think this could still be the intention of the developers with the next dlc, but the posibility of this content missing this point scares me because is the last chance the game has to deliver what they builded up the 12 years that i have been following this game.

I agree that there should definitely remain some focus on bettering the core experience as well as that is the story everyone spent the most time with and is most attached to, I think I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm trying to see all the angles on how these new DLCs serve to flesh out the core experience as well as the overall universe of XV but I'm also greatly fearing that they may miss the mark entirely at the last second. With Tabata over at another new studio helming another big project this little skeleton team has a lot to deliver on as they're not gonna get a third year out of Square seeing as they barely got a second one.

Feb 19, 2018
huh bahamut is a harsh bitch, ain't he...well does that mean that regis knew who ardyn was? that would make kingsglaive a bit questionable then...but if we take this chart into consideration, then there's also dawn trailer which is marked as " canon storyline" and whelp, none of this appeared or were mentioned in the final game.
I don't think Regis knew it was Ardyn specifically, Bahamut likely kept things vague like how he kept referring to Ardyn as the Accursed even with Noctis despite him knowing who the Accursed was at that point. Regis would've probably dropped the wall, summoned the kings of yore and hijacked the prophecy faster than Ignis could even put on the ring in Altissia if he knew the darkness of the prophecy was the guy standing right in front of him in the throne room asking for his son and Luna's wedding. That would've probably been really bad for Bahamut's plan as Regis for sure would've tried to stall or even outright subvert the prophecy by imprisoning Ardyn and sheltering Noctis. If they successfullly restrain Ardyn then that doesn't solve the Daemon and fast approaching eternal night problem, if they don't then everyone dies and that's really bad for the prophecy as well.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina

I need to be blunt, nothing triggers me more than judging a piece of work by something the work itself never said or promised, at best it's intelectually dishonest and at worst intelectually lazy. Do you judge a book by what it set up and pays off in its writen pages or by what its marketing set up? (or another example, do you judge a book by its cover or its writen pages?)

The complete experience should be made by delivering what's promised by the work itself (not something tangent to it or not promised by the work itself) to its fullest potential as much as possible.

See my first paragraph.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
I need to be blunt, nothing triggers me more than judging a piece of work by something the work itself never said or promised, at best it's intelectually dishonest and at worst intelectually lazy. Do you judge a book by what it set up and pays off in its writen pages or by what its marketing set up? (or another example, do you judge a book by its cover or its writen pages?)

The complete experience should be made by delivering what's promised by the work itself (not something tangent to it or not promised by the work itself) to its fullest potential as much as possible.

See my first paragraph.
The product has to be judged by what it is, and complete it by what it needs instead by trying to reach every aspect that was planed in preproduction. You're right.

We're lucky that in this case both things match up.
If the ending sets up a relationship with Noctis and his father, this relation has to appear at the game it self, which it doesn't happen. Neither explains what is Carbuncle, why Noctis is the chosen, why Noctis seem's to be the only character with a family in Insomnia during the attack, why he loves Luna, etc...

All the peaces that can be added to complete this are the same ones that where left behind due to many reasons.

So, if the final game can be more rounded by adding all the elements that where left behind and caused people not having the experience that was promised, then, everyone wins.

The Happy Ending still doesn't fit at all by what the game achieves or try to convey.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
The Happy Ending still doesn't fit at all by what the game achieves or try to convey.
To be fair, depending on the circumstances required for it to happen, an ideal ending can, in fact, shed light on the reason why the bittersweet ending is canonically necessary.

The key, I'm convinced, is Ardyn's agency in his own obvious redemption, because that's the one counterfactual the heroes have no control over... and the one counterfactual that would constitute obedient surrender rather than defiant rebellion.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
To be fair, depending on the circumstances required for it to happen, an ideal ending can, in fact, shed light on the reason why the bittersweet ending is canonically necessary.

The key, I'm convinced, is Ardyn's agency in his own obvious redemption, because that's the one counterfactual the heroes have no control over... and the one counterfactual that would constitute obedient surrender rather than defiant rebellion.
an all happy ending is already tonally the opposite of everything the main game built and its theme

- willingness to sacrifice, loss, tragedy, duty, obedience...

then in the picture everyone is alive and not even Ignis is blind anymore

this alternate experiment is already wrong in many levels, it feels like a bad afterthought

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I wouldn't look too much into that, Gladiolus doesn't even have his signature scar on his left eye in the concept art, which he himself had way before the main game's journey began.
maybe, but on Ep Ignis verse 2,
Ignis doesnt end up blind either, the crystal or luna healed his injury after he used the ring; and its possible this alternate ending will tie in with the other one they are making

i feel this type of stuff only cater to a niche group, and thats also why in concept its such a poor send-off to FFXV.

Last edited:

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
I wouldn't look too much into that, Gladiolus doesn't even have his signature scar on his left eye in the concept art, which he himself had way before the main game's journey began.
Damn, i hope the alternative ending works out by using time travel to erase the timeline.
The game needs to make us sacrifice something so the original ending doesn't seem a sequence of bad decision that ends with an a post apocaliptic world.