Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
I felt the same way about Sarah's interaction with Noctis, that it somehow had more feeling than Luna's. Luna was written into a corner. It's going to be really hard fixing it unless they retconn a ton of stuff. The first huge mistake was the Kingsglaive movie and removing Noctis from the invasion. Noctis being present for the invasion would have given weight to his journey, establishing the relationships with between Regis/Luna and why it was so dire for him to collect the royal arms and commune with the Astrals. I also think they already kind of ruined what story arc Luna had by having her appear after she dies multiple times. Having a character appear constantly after death ruins the weight of their death and makes it pointless. Death is supposed to be permanent, at least for heroes. Think of Aerith's death in FFVII. What made it so powerful was the fact she's not present with the exception of her praying for holy recap and the her reused introduction at the very end of the story.

Wena Washo

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 30, 2017
I think Luna needed a moment, just one moment, to peel back her dutiful attitude and just act like the kid she was never able to be since that attack on Tennebrae which took her mother. We've seen the letters they send to each other quite frequently, we've seen what's written in them, we've seen Luna fight for Noctis at the trial of Leviathan, and hell I don't even think screen time is her real problem, all of the proper elements of their love story are there except for one which is key in selling it to the audience. We never get to see Luna truly open up, the closest we get is that scene with Ravus but even that seems to be coming from a dutiful angle.

I want a genuine scene between her and Noctis where she just brings down her walls for just a second and lets us as the audience connect so we can see the part of her that Noctis clicks with. If we can see the Luna that Noct sees for even a moment then I think her character will finally make sense and it will also put the rest of her scenes into a new light because then it's not that she can't be quirky and fun it's just that she's never had the chance to be that way other than for one fleeting moment with Noctis for the first time in like 10 or so years.

It's probably a pipe dream but I really want that night out before the trial of Leviathan to be a thing for this reason, have Prompto distract the guards outside Luna's place while Noct sneaks into Luna's room via warp strike, have him warp her out and take her through the city in disguise, and just have them open up for real. To preserve the aspect of them never getting to fully experience love they could have Prompto call Noctis and inform him that the guards are going to check up on Luna in a few minutes just before the two can share a kiss or something and he has to hastily warp her back. Perfect way to weave this into Episode Luna could be to have it as small flashback sequences interspersed throughout the episode as she fights in present day to save Noctis so that we get a sense of why she's fighting so hard to change his destiny.

Oh well, guess we'll see how Square handles this going forward because honestly playing as her and seeing more of her will have meant nothing if we still can't connect to her side of the romance and don't see what Noct sees in her.
I always wanted them to adapt the Moogle Chocobo carnival with Luna in it. I love that festival and it's a shame that it isn't part of the main game.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
I always wanted them to adapt the Moogle Chocobo carnival with Luna in it. I love that festival and it's a shame that it isn't part of the main game.
It would have been actually pretty great if that part was just with Noctis and Luna, having Carbuncle being the guide of the dream and leading you to her. But instead it was just kind of there and no real point to it. FFXV had so much potential to be up there with FFVI, FFVII, and FFX.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I felt the same way about Sarah's interaction with Noctis, that it somehow had more feeling than Luna's. Luna was written into a corner. It's going to be really hard fixing it unless they retconn a ton of stuff. The first huge mistake was the Kingsglaive movie and removing Noctis from the invasion. Noctis being present for the invasion would have given weight to his journey, establishing the relationships with between Regis/Luna and why it was so dire for him to collect the royal arms and commune with the Astrals. I also think they already kind of ruined what story arc Luna had by having her appear after she dies multiple times. Having a character appear constantly after death ruins the weight of their death and makes it pointless. Death is supposed to be permanent, at least for heroes. Think of Aerith's death in FFVII. What made it so powerful was the fact she's not present with the exception of her praying for holy recap and the her reused introduction at the very end of the story.
After experiencing the FFXVxTerra Wars event, I have to say that it made me wish there was characterisation and interaction like that in the base game. So funny, and so much heart. And what a woman. Yes she has vulnerability, but she's also stubborn and has a drive I haven't seen since Lightning in the original XIII (I love Lightning, but she seemed to lose something in the sequels) or Fran from XII.

The banter between Noctis and Sarah is priceless, and so full of heart. Add the fact that she resembles a weird hybrid of Lunafreya and Versus XIII's Stella (with the badass styling and weaponry you can expect of a Kimihiko Fujisaka design), and you get some of the weirdest dream fulfillment possible.

I really enjoyed its tone and narrative. That short piece of promotional stuff felt more like my classic Final Fantasy than anything XV delivered.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I don't see many talking about this but didn't Ray's performance feel a bit off at times?
yes, his delivery in some lines was awkward and goofier than usual, especially here

about Luna's discussion...

im already invested on Noctis side of it, and i like the tragedy of a love that was only possible in death (thats why im against the two meeting during the game), i just need to care for Luna as a person and its all fine.

This, I don't understand why LumiPro hasn't done. Considering how much effort put into the bestiary and datalogs already, adding 3-4 Luna entries and 9-16 Noct options (which could be variants on the same thing less effort put into the low effort responses) wouldn't be that difficult in comparison. Maybe they're saving for the update they intend pair with Episode Luna?
it would be cute seeing the 2 making fun of each other in the notes, man they could fill some lacking aspects so easily, and in a cheap way...

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
I don't think they necessarily have to retcon a whole lot of stuff to fix it, they just need utilize the many little gaps in the story in a smart way and as everyone one knows FFXV's story is full of little blanks throughout it that can be used to add relevant and important scenes. Like for example we asked for more Niflheim and their solution was to use Aranea who would've been at the capital when it fell which happened behind the scenes. All of the bros' episodes have basically been used to fill story gaps as well although the gaps they filled were more obvious. I think if they play it smart they can use Episode Luna to to cleverly add scenes that would've taken place in those little blanks of the story we're unaware of in order to round out things on her end of the story.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
I don't think they necessarily have to retcon a whole lot of stuff to fix it, they just need utilize the many little gaps in the story in a smart way and as everyone one knows FFXV's story is full of little blanks throughout it that can be used to add relevant and important scenes. Like for example we asked for more Niflheim and their solution was to use Aranea who would've been at the capital when it fell which happened behind the scenes. All of the bros' episodes have basically been used to fill story gaps as well although the gaps they filled were more obvious. I think if they play it smart they can use Episode Luna to to cleverly add scenes that would've taken place in those little blanks of the story we're unaware of in order to round out things on her end of the story.
Yeah, even though I'm only looking forward to Ardyn and Aranea's episodes, the first of which covers the former's past, and the second of which covers more of the Niflheim empire and their fall that was depicted in Chapter 12 by Aranea's words about it, I do want to like Lunafreya, but they way they treated her at launch was really bad, to the point I saw her as a 'plot device', but I'm open to seeing more of her.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
it would be cute seeing the 2 making fun of each other in the notes, man they could fill some lacking aspects so easily, and in a cheap way...
That could be really cute, yeah. It'd show that, while they might have been limited to text communication, they still managed to build up a proper rapport with each other.

Luna: "I saw the power plant in Lestallum! I wonder if you could warp all the way to the top..."

Noct: "Thanks for sending Gentiana to help. By the way, Prompto thinks she's my fairy godmother. Uh, don't let her read this!"

Luna: "Altissia is beautiful at night... Perhaps we could go for a gondola ride when you arrive."

Noct: "I'll be on my way to see you now that my boat's ready. I had to fight a dragon for the part I needed to fix it. Since when do boats run on mythical treasures?"

Feb 19, 2018
That could be really cute, yeah. It'd show that, while they might have been limited to text communication, they still managed to build up a proper rapport with each other.

Luna: "I saw the power plant in Lestallum! I wonder if you could warp all the way to the top..."

Noct: "Thanks for sending Gentiana to help. By the way, Prompto thinks she's my fairy godmother. Uh, don't let her read this!"

Luna: "Altissia is beautiful at night... Perhaps we could go for a gondola ride when you arrive."

Noct: "I'll be on my way to see you now that my boat's ready. I had to fight a dragon for the part I needed to fix it. Since when do boats run on mythical treasures?"
Lol damn that sounds perfect.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland

that's genuinely good, send an e-mail to SQ, show them how its done lol

how they didnt think about this option eludes me, its simple but fills the void relatively well.

edit:

spoiler from new collab

Last edited:

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018

Wouldn't that type of dialogue take away from the fact that they are fugitives? Like it's bad enough that Noctis and the way the sub quests are done kind of takes away that this man lost his father and kingdom and is on a quest to stop an empire.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Wouldn't that type of dialogue take away from the fact that they are fugitives? Like it's bad enough that Noctis and the way the sub quests are done kind of takes away that this man lost his father and kingdom and is on a quest to stop an empire.
Noct already has lighthearted dialogue with almost every other friendly character he interacts with -- the bros, Iris, Aranea, and even some NPCs (remember Noct Gar?). In that context, it would just show that Noct can let loose around Luna, which isn't much more than the Brotherhood clips suggested.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I also think they already kind of ruined what story arc Luna had by having her appear after she dies multiple times. Having a character appear constantly after death ruins the weight of their death and makes it pointless.
I can't really agree especially given how Luna's passing technically sped up the affects of the Starscourge throughout Eos due to no one being there to halt the inevitable (World of Ruin). And it's not like her spirit surfacing more than once undermined the fact that Noctis was too late to reach her physically under more desirable circumstances.

I think the real culprit, which others have mentioned anyway, is the audience's general apathy towards her character pre-passing with underplayed her portrayal was executed in the game.

I say this as someone who actually doesn't mind Luna as a person, but the suggestions I've read here on improving her in a practical sense can really add up to seeing her bloom in a much more positive light.

Last edited:

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
I don't think there's much that can be done in regards to Luna. Luna at least in my eyes is a no BS type of character, so snarky remarks and what not would just seem out of character to me. Sure, she can get more screen time, but I don't think it's going to change the public viewpoint of her. Both her and Gladio are the archtype of characters that put their duties ahead of their relationship with another member. Regis was trying to balance relationships with duty, while Noctis for some time simply tried to avoid it. I think Luna's passing served its purpose as a lot of people felt bad for Noctis during the time of turmoil.