Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
According to TV Tropes, retconning means "reframing past events to serve a current plot need." TV Tropes notes that, "The ideal retcon clarifies a question alluded to without adding excessive new questions. In its most basic form, this is any plot point that was not intended from the beginning. The most preferred use is where it contradicts nothing, even though it was changed later on."

I consider the change in Bahamut's characterization to be a problem because it does add excessive new questions, even if it avoids direct contradictions. And it's worth noting that the excessive new questions were clearly added on purpose to serve the needs of the AU expansion, which I consider even more troublesome.
thats the thing, a plot-twist also reframes past events to serve a new role in the plot, a classic example is when the real identity of a character is revealed, a previously good person turns out to be a villain, a certain element was influencing the story but you only find outbin the end and so on..

as to the questions added, every misterious and ambiguous element has this effect, and imo I see as effective considering FFXV had barely any mistery or grey tint in its apparent basic tale.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
thats the thing, a plot-twist also reframes past events to serve a new role in the plot, a classic example is when the real identity of a character is revealed, a previously good person turns out to be a villain, a certain element was influencing the story but you only find outbin the end and so on..

as to the questions added, every misterious and ambiguous element has this effect, and imo I see as effective considering FFXV had barely any mistery or grey tint in its apparent basic tale.
This is true when the core of the story is ongoing. It shouldn't be true when the core of the story has been completed and all that remains is an alternate reality that is designed to be the thematic opposite of the core of the story. =/

With that said, I have finally figured out how to fit Ardyn's calling into the context created by FFXV without undercutting anything that the game did.

Ardyn and the Starscourge are the means by which Bahamut passes a final judgment on Niflheim and Lucis as civilizations. Noct's sacrifice brings that judgment to an end and ushers in the dawn of a new era of unification.

As evidence, I present the following:
  • The seas near Angelgard appear to have opened specifically for Verstael, the poster-boy for human presumption, and allow him to remove Ardyn to Niflheim. The work he and Ardyn do on the plasmodia guarantees that Niflheim is hit first and worst by the daemon plague.
  • The second worst-hit area is Lucis, with Insomnia taking the brunt of the physical damage. Insomnia, of course, is the seat of the kings who had the power to fight the Scourge but chose instead to consolidate their power in pursuit of security.
  • The Lucii, in spite of being previous kings of Lucis, do not seem particularly concerned about the destruction of Insomnia, as if they know that's part of the plan.
  • The effect of the World of Darkness, as demonstrated in Comrades, is to bring people from all areas together and require them to cooperate for their mutual survival. The end of the world doesn't bring about lawlessness the way so many apocalyptic stories assume, but unity and compassion on the part of the survivors.
  • Noct and Prompto talk several times about the problem of national identity and the need to look beyond one's own country when relating to other people.
  • Fighting against the darkness is explicitly a purgatorial experience for the Glaives who betrayed Regis.
Basically, humanity's current state is a problem that calls for divine judgment, but that judgment itself is meant to bring about something greater.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
According to TV Tropes, retconning means "reframing past events to serve a current plot need." TV Tropes notes that, "The ideal retcon clarifies a question alluded to without adding excessive new questions. In its most basic form, this is any plot point that was not intended from the beginning. The most preferred use is where it contradicts nothing, even though it was changed later on."

I consider the change in Bahamut's characterization to be a problem because it does add excessive new questions, even if it avoids direct contradictions. And it's worth noting that the excessive new questions were clearly added on purpose to serve the needs of the AU expansion, which I consider even more troublesome.
Yeah, but adds that interesting ambiguity. The story makes perfect sense and doesn't affect the main cast. So it only adds to tje conversation and makes the story more rich in misticism.
The more i thought about it the more I like this episode.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Here you can read the translation of the DOTF novel from japanese ATR :
DOTF ATR translation

btw. im so in love with Ep. Ardyn soundtrack but it seems that tracks which im looking for are not in official tracklist, is it possible for some dataminers to get those ?
which tracks specifically, I though youtube had me covered

thanks for sharing that link

https://autumnstwilight.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F183738743448
talking about the twin swords, a piece of datalog suggests pairing them together gives power to the wielder; did anyone tried that?

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
I finally did it lads :hahaha:

Also I will try that out and see if it produces anything noticeable Storm. Didn't even think of that as anything more than text flair (and still may be) but knowing how some things work in FFXV they just might have some kind of extra effect when paired.

EDIT: No tangible effects that I can see, maybe it does something passively but I'm not sure. Also that excerpt from the novel makes me really excited because I think there's alot of emotions that get lost when you translate stories from text to visual form. With words being your only window into the scene you can tell exactly how Luna's feeling, as opposed to the same scene in the game giving only half the indication of what the novel does.

Last edited:

Amareth

Balamb Garden Freshman
Mar 28, 2019
which tracks specifically, I though youtube had me covered

thanks for sharing that link

Unofortunately the tracks which appear on YT are merely a half of them :(

Episode Ardyn YT Cutscenes

For example those which are not in the official tracklist, and recorded by yt members are:
track 1 appears at : 5:40
track 2 : 21:00
track 3 : 25:09
track 4 : 34:32
track 5 : 42:00

I might have missed some but for now these are the ones that i remember.
Do you think it is possible to get somehow these tracks?

I finally did it lads :hahaha:

EDIT: No tangible effects that I can see, maybe it does something passively but I'm not sure. Also that excerpt from the novel makes me really excited because I think there's alot of emotions that get lost when you translate stories from text to visual form. With words being your only window into the scene you can tell exactly how Luna's feeling, as opposed to the same scene in the game giving only half the indication of what the novel does.
I can agree with you at some point, there is a part of a book that cannot be expressed by any cutscene and the deep of the character and its thoughts but on the other hand there is no way that a book can replace gaming experience. Not only a story is what matters but also amazing voice acting, face expression of a character or a piece of music which synchronizes with a certain scene that makes it a whole one piece. For ex. a scene from the novel that has been read during the atr when
Luna drowns
you can see how it is different from what we saw in the game. This cgi cutscene is IMO a true masterpiece that combines everything : VA, music, scenery and thats why it is so emotional and memorable. For me when i hear Luna's theme song i can imagine this particular scene because it was so emotional and deep. But this is only my opinion :)

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
Unofortunately the tracks which appear on YT are merely a half of them :(

Episode Ardyn YT Cutscenes

For example those which are not in the official tracklist, and recorded by yt members are:
track 1 appears at : 5:40
track 2 : 21:00
track 3 : 25:09
track 4 : 34:32
track 5 : 42:00

I might have missed some but for now these are the ones that i remember.
Do you think it is possible to get somehow these tracks?

I can agree with you at some point, there is a part of a book that cannot be expressed by any cutscene and the deep of the character and its thoughts but on the other hand there is no way that a book can replace gaming experience. Not only a story is what matters but also amazing voice acting, face expression of a character or a piece of music which synchronizes with a certain scene that makes it a whole one piece. For ex. a scene from the novel that has been read during the atr when
Luna drowns
you can see how it is different from what we saw in the game. This cgi cutscene is IMO a true masterpiece that combines everything : VA, music, scenery and thats why it is so emotional and memorable. For me when i hear Luna's theme song i can imagine this particular scene because it was so emotional and deep. But this is only my opinion :)
The scene in the game is an absolute masterpiece, don't get me wrong. But imagine the level of insight we would have into Luna as a character if all of her scenes were narrated in this way. She would be a 10x stronger character without them even needing to add more cutscenes to the game featuring her. I'm just trying to say that an entire book in that style really excites me because of the level of insight that it will provide into the characters featured within. Obviously nothing can replace seeing those scenes with your own eyes, but it's a rare opportunity to understand them on a deeper level.

Last edited:

Amareth

Balamb Garden Freshman
Mar 28, 2019
The scene in the game is an absolute masterpiece, don't get me wrong. But imagine the level of insight we would have into Luna as a character if all of her scenes were narrated in this way. She would be a 10x stronger character without them even needing to add more cutscenes to the game featuring her. I'm just trying to say that an entire book in that style really excites me because of the level of insight that it will provide into the characters featured within. Obviously nothing can replace seeing those scenes with your own eyes, but it's a rare opportunity to understand them on a deeper level.
You have the point here, i guess the most satisfying option for everybody now would be that damn cancelled dlc + the novel :( After ep. ardyn is out i feel more salty about the rest dlcs, seeing how emotional this one of 4 annouced DLCs was. I really enjoy reading, and still appreciate that its even coming out in this form - there are no boundries for our imagination though knowing the fact that we could have had more of such masterpieced emotional scenes with music and all other that the level of this art would hunt FF gamers for long future just makes me really sad. This whole game development has been a mess for ages and i feel like its been a loong loong part (at least for mine) of FF fans lives thats just a shame for SE for dropping it

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Would be a bit pointless. Assumedly the rest of Insomnia has no collision detection, so even if you got outside the bounds you'd just fall straight through the ground.
Not necessarily. Based on previous out-of-bounds, the engine seems to automatically add collision detection to terrain qua terrain. The buildings wouldn't have collision detection, though, and the points needed to climb them wouldn't be available.

motoleo

Chocobo Knight
Jan 7, 2019
It actually answers questions I had even since my Reddit days. Isn't Ardyn actually following prophecy? I mean the poster is right there, Ardyn actually agreed to this. He's helping the Gods!

How are you getting back at the Gods when you're doing exactly what they told you to do? You got the king of light brought him here to do the ritual just like the Gods said that you would.

And Bahamut, using Aera to torment Ardyn. I mean he spoke through her. So is she just a puppet or what? That was kinda creepy. Does any of this even matter anymore? I mean I knew they were puppets but not literally.

Last edited: