Final Fantasy XV is about 50-60% complete as a "Whole"

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
Here is something someone just translated:

Thanks to duckroll and benzy for this.

――Once again, please explain the battle system to us.

Tabata: The battle will be real time action. However, you will constantly be fighting alongside your party members. It is an action battle that emphasizes party teamwork. This battle system is a somewhat streamlined version of FF Type-0's.

Your party members will automatically coordinate their attacks with you. There are many different elements such as weapons or abilities that make it easy to achieve coordination so you might try one combination out and then try another one. It's this sort of trial and error system that I think will be lots of fun for the players to tinker around with.

IMO, Tabata's use of the word "簡易" doesn't mean that the control scheme is going to be super easy. The word "簡単" is more fitting for that. I think that "簡易" is more suitably translated as "streamlined", "convenient" or "accessible". This can be a good thing since there are little things FF Type-0 like trying to cast support magic but accidentally tilting the left analog stick so you perform a dodge instead. Nevertheless, this is only my opinion.

From this, it just seems like what they are aiming for is a battle system that is accessible, not necessarily Hold this button for 3 attacks or something. In type 0 you can "Accidently" Dodge when you wanted to cast magic. They are basically trying to eliminating "Button mistakes"

Also there isn't any difference between " Holding X for a 3 attack count" and hitting X 3 times to attack.

People complain about Button Mashers, People complain about Button Holding. /shrug Me don't know anymorez.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
From this, it just seems like what they are aiming for is a battle system that is accessible, not necessarily Hold this button for 3 attacks or something. In type 0 you can "Accidently" Dodge when you wanted to cast magic. They are basically trying to eliminating "Button mistakes"
I really hope so... I feel like Tabata really should have reserved talking about the battle system until we got something that we could understand. All of this translation mess is just really confusing, I just don't want this to flop.

Fuck, I need to calm down...

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
I really hope so... I feel like Tabata really should have reserved talking about the battle system until we got something that we could understand. All of this translation mess is just really confusing, I just don't want this to flop.

Fuck, I need to calm down...
It doesn't help that it seems to imply, like duckroll said, that it might only be what they have so far in their demo. A lot can change, maybe not. I just hope they're reading it but I don't want to bet on any substantial changes.

It surprises me since Tabata's battle systems usually have some depth & flexibility. So I just hope this is not it.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
It doesn't help that it seems to imply, like duckroll said, that it might only be what they have so far in their demo. A lot can change, maybe not. I just hope they're reading it but I don't want to bet on any substantial changes.

It surprises me since Tabata's battle systems usually have some depth & flexibility. So I just hope this is not it.
Yes, let's hope that it's just Type-0 2.0 battle system essentially, there's a lot of varying translations as well, some that sound better than others. Remember as well that Tabata mentioned Square Enix Presents as a possible place to show the game in action again, which would be sooner than Jump Festa, possibly even this week.

"He doesn’t expect the game to take much longer after the release of the demo, and certainly not years and years."

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/09/skyrim-is-the-sort-of-game-final-fantasy-xv-isnt/

Sounds like 20XV could be a winner :O.
I think so, a WW release late 2015 sounds very possible.

Might as well just call it how it is.

Final Fantasy XV is not Nomura's game. It is Tabata's game.
The only thing I'm upset about is the combat system, as long as I enjoy it, everything else will fall in line to what I was expecting and hoping for this game to have all this time.

Let's talk about some cool shit.
  • Traveling in the car you can control yourself or let others take the wheel for you
  • You can select a location on the map to be auto-piloted to if you need to go get some snacks. :happymog:
  • Chocobos will be in the game
  • The world will be an open world in the sense that everything is open exploration wise, however, story wise you are limited to the linearity that is known throughout the FF history.
  • Weather effects in the game can affect combat including magic like dry weather setting other things on fire.
  • Real time day/night cycle
  • You can camp out like you can in other games like they did with tents
  • Monsters will come out the dungeons at night making you want to set up camp at night to stay safe!
All great aspects that I truly enjoy, just hoping that the battle system holds up...

Last edited:

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Might as well just call it what it is.

Final Fantasy XV is not Nomura's game. It is Tabata's game.
Yeah, that much is clear. I feel I understand what those "negative reasons" were now. Becoming more and more clear what happened back in 2012.

Yes, let's hope that it's just Type-0 2.0 battle system essentially, there's a lot of varying translations as well, some that sound better than others. Remember as well that Tabata mentioned Square Enix Presents as a possible place to show the game in action again, which would be sooner than Jump Festa, possibly even this week.

The only thing I'm upset about is the combat system, as long as I enjoy it, everything else will fall in line to what I was expecting and hoping for this game to have all this time.

• Traveling in the car you can control yourself or let others take the wheel for you
  • You can select a location on the map to be auto-piloted to if you need to go get some snacks. :happymog:
  • The world will be an open world in the sense that everything is open exploration wise, however, story wise you are limited to the linearity that is known throughout the FF history.
  • Weather effects in the game can affect combat including magic like dry weather setting other things on fire.
  • Monsters will come out the dungeons at night making you want to set up camp at night to stay safe!
All great aspects that I truly enjoy, just hoping that the battle system holds up...
Me too. Please have a lot of intricate subsystems to make it super fun and engaging.... not in the form of Gambits.

And yeah, the game design sounds fantastic. I'm glad it isn't anything like Skyrim. Didn't expect camping to make a return and it's interesting friendly fire has been turned on.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014

I think so, a WW release late 2015 sounds very possible.

I still think Automated is still an "option". I never saw a game where you couldn't just "tap" the button, while there was an option to hold it down to do it automatically. I still think we are getting only a piece of the gameplay pie here. Automation gameplay is a good thing for people not good with gameplay but wanna get through the story, I do feel there will be tapping buttons version.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Me too. Please have a lot of intricate subsystems to make it super fun and engaging.... not in the form of Gambits.

And yeah, the game design sounds fantastic. I'm glad it isn't anything like Skyrim. Didn't expect camping to make a return and it's interesting friendly fire has been turned on.
Yes, nice to see camping return in a way that feels like a modern classic FF game. As for friendly fire, it reminds me of how you can attack your own party members in past games... time to attack Prompto to level him up FFII style :kefkalol:

I still think Automated is still an "option". I never saw a game where you couldn't just "tap" the button, while there was an option to hold it down to do it automatically. I still think we are getting only a piece of the gameplay pie here. Automation gameplay is a good thing for people not good with gameplay but wanna get through the story, I do feel there will be tapping buttons version.
We can only hope and wait!

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
All this talk of an automated battle system unlike KH's, and of Noctis being the only character is really pissing me off. What are they thinking if they make it like that? I expected an Action RPG like KH, where you made cool combos and you controlled everything (except for those contextual triangle attacks). Now it just sounds like a different thing... I don't like it.

Sep 26, 2013
Yeah, that much is clear. I feel I understand what those "negative reasons" were now. Becoming more and more clear what happened back in 2012.
Which is why people need to keep their expectations in check and be a bit more realistic about things. The end product we'll be getting will most likely not be what Nomura visioned it to be. This game has gone through a ton of changes so there is no reason to believe that everything is set in stone. Things can still change for better or worse.

I've personally been very annoyed by how Nomura has been treated in all of this.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Which is why people need to keep their expectations in check and be a bit more realistic about things. The end product we'll be getting will most likely not be what Nomura visioned it to be. This game has gone through a ton of changes so there is no reason to believe that everything is set in stone. Things can still change for better or worse.

I've personally been very annoyed by how Nomura has been treated in all of this.
Have to agree. This is XV, not Versus. As of today coming to actual terms with that, as you said, can only hope and see how things go for it as its a while off.

In the end, this was basically apart of SE's Management fucking up.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014

I respect Nomura , and he pulls off great character designs and storytelling. When it comes to directing a game ( considering this game went through development hell. You can tell he's not good at directing. That's not a bad thing, everyone is not good at something.( 8 years is a long enough chance to get your "vision" out. Tabata "had" to step in, or this game wouldn't have gone much further and I doubt we be getting the information we do now.

As much I feel bad for Nomura, he kinda of deserved what came to him. ( though I don't know the whole reason why it took so long). However, it doesn't take nearly a decade to get a game out ( even in development hell).

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
It doesn't sound like it though. Most of those 8 years were spent with XIII + ARR. Given some of the staff comments, they didn't even have much of a team and that is also on management.
This is also telling:
Tabata joined Final Fantasy XV in July 2012 when then-CEO Yoichi Wada ordered Final Fantasy Type-0’s team to assist in development. It was around then that the game became a mainline title and underwent its switchover from PS3 before Tabata’s involvement was finally announced in E3 2013.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
It doesn't sound like it though. Most of those 8 years were spent with XIII + ARR. Given some of the staff comments, they didn't even have much of a team and that is also on management.
This is also telling:
Tabata joined Final Fantasy XV in July 2012 when then-CEO Yoichi Wada ordered Final Fantasy Type-0’s team to assist in development. It was around then that the game became a mainline title and underwent its switchover from PS3 before Tabata’s involvement was finally announced in E3 2013.
Well at this point, we all have our opinions as nothing is fact ( even my opinion). I feel Nomura is partially to blame at the very least, again that is just my opinion.

Sep 26, 2013
The worst part is Tabata is going to get all the fame and glory now because he's giving what fans have been wanting for years now. New information on Final Fantasy XV.

Nomura has been wanting to talk about this game but management kept fucking him over.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
The worst part is Tabata is going to get all the fame and glory now because he's giving what fans have been wanting for years now. New information on Final Fantasy XV.

Nomura has been wanting to talk about this game but management kept fucking him over.
Exactly. It's unfair.

Add to the fact that SE needed a Final Fantasy XV. Not a Versus XIII.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014

Now all of a sudden when Tabata joins the project they give him the green light and not Nomura? I don't know about that...