Final Fantasy XV release date predictions

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
When do you think when will Final Fantasy being released?

To me, I have a feeling that this game will be released at least on Winter 2014/Early 2015.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
I concur. With the game missing from TGS this year, they will present it next year which means that it wont be released before 2015. Which makes sense. if you look at it there has always been a 2-3 year gap between console FFs since the PS2 days:

2001: FF X
2003: FF X-2
2006: FF XII
2009: FF XIII
2012: FF XIII-2
2014: Lightning Returns

So with LR coming out next year already FF XV will definitely not be released in the same year. There have never been two console FFs in the same year.

On another note, there is a lot of FF XV threads piling up. Wouldnt it be more wiser to create one general FF XV thread where we can talk about all this stuff instead of a dozen seperate ones?

RyoonZ

Balamb Garden Freshman
Sep 26, 2013
Indonesia
I'll joke about it being released on May, 8 2016 to celebrate it's 10 years announcement! The sad thing is that's not unrealistic at all. I'll say it's Holiday 2015 so we can get KH 3 in 2017.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
With Lightning Returns coming out 2014, FF XV being out 2016 isnt that unrealistic at all. It would be the usual 2 year gap between two console FFs.

Another interesting thing is that Square released FF XIII after the PS3 had already been out for 4 years. So FF XV coming out, 3 years after the PS4 release is certainly nothing that didnt happen before....

Redichi24

PSICOM Soldier
Oct 1, 2013
Expect a 2014 to 2015 release date for Final Fantasy XV. Probably even 2016 (anything is possible, but I hope it doesn't happen!)
late 2014 in japan and early 2015 for the rest for the world.
If not? Probably sometime in 2015 in japan, and the rest of the world late 2015 to early 2016.

Casval

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 30, 2013
Based on what Nomura has said in various interviews, XV might arrive earlier than we think.

Kevin Gifford, Polygon, "Tetsuya Nomura explains why Final Fantasy Versus 13 became Final Fantasy 15."

As for that shift in platform to the PS4 and Xbox One, "there are several reasons," he explained. "We had originally thought about making this announcement last year, but due to assorted reasons that got delayed. This meant that the lifespan of the current generation of consoles was starting to pose a problem to us. If we were a year later, other companies will have more time to research the next generation, and releasing the game against their products on the older generation could have caused us to look inferior when people inevitably compared us."

Emphasis added. I'm not sure what Nomura is referring to when he says "if we were a year later," though.

Many people have their eyes set on SE and the outcome of XV. In order to remain relevant--and not become a laughingstock--SE must release the game sooner rather than later.

I just hope that SE believe that shifting to next-gen systems doesn't mean they've "reset the clock," if you know what I mean.

Also, XV's substantial lack of presence at this year's TGS has been quite unfortunate. Nevertheless, let us be reminded of what Nomura has said:
現行機では、日本の開発が海外に遅れを取ったように言われている部分もあります。次世代機では、決してそうではないことを、この作品でお見せしたいと思います。
Some have said that this generation, Japanese developments have fell short overseas. In the next generation, I don’t want this to be the case at all. I want to showcase this title.

Last edited:

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
And I am sure he will showcase the title extensively next year on E3 and TGS. But what SE cant do at all costs is to release the game as early as possible because of public pressure and expectations. Thats how you ruin a game. I dont want an unfinished FF XV thats full of bugs and freezes and needs a million patches to get fixed like so many games of this generation that came out too early. And I think SE should have learned their lesson with releasing games before they are properly finished with the original release of FF XIV.

People keep moaning about the long development time of XV. however I say let them develop this game as long as they need to, to give us a perfected and fully finished version of it. I dont care if they develop it for another 5 years or so. as long as the released version will not be buggy, unfinished, unpolished or will have to cut down on things because of time pressure as they did with FF XIII. If FF XIII would have been in development for another 3 years they could have implemented a lot of the stuff that people missed in it. But because people kept putting pressure on SE about the release and the prolonged development they released it earlier when they hadnt really fully explored and mastered the Crystal Tools engine yet. I dont want FF XV to do that. I want it the best, biggest, most polished and perfected game it can possibly be. And I dont care if that means waiting another 5 years. I prefer that over a game with drawbacks and technical flaws any day of the week.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
According to whom? Do you really think you can tell Square Enix which options they have? They can release this game whenever they want. They can release it in 2020 if they want to. Sometimes fans really overrate their "power" over the developer and publisher. Of course they could easily release this game 2016. Nobody is forcing them into a 2015 deadline.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
Late 2015 is my guess. Considering what we say at E3 was part target render - aka not real time gameplay - I'd say they have a long ways to go, especially since they already admitted they're still building their new engine alongside the game.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
According to whom? Do you really think you can tell Square Enix which options they have? They can release this game whenever they want. They can release it in 2020 if they want to. Sometimes fans really overrate their "power" over the developer and publisher. Of course they could easily release this game 2016. Nobody is forcing them into a 2015 deadline.
Calm down, I was not saying Square is forced to release the game when I want. I was just talking about what I consider a realistic release date.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
yeah very good point Kagari. Didnt Nomura say that in the final version everything will be re-done with Luminous and in realtime?
Yeah he said they're basically doing a bunch of stuff in CG and then dropping it into the engine to run in real time... so I can imagine that in itself is going to take a lot of work. Plus you have to consider they need to redo a lot of assets and other models to update them to next generation standards.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Yeah he said they're basically doing a bunch of stuff in CG and then dropping it into the engine to run in real time... so I can imagine that in itself is going to take a lot of work. Plus you have to consider they need to redo a lot of assets and other models to update them to next generation standards.
I hope so, those models from the trailer looked a bit like current gen models. Better than XIII's models, but current gen nonetheless.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
yeah most people keep forgetting that even the E3 stuff of FF XV is far away from what the final game will look like. The actual game engine hasnt been fully implemented yet and a lot of stuff will be re-done and reworked. FF XV already looks better than any other FF but the final game will look even so much better, people cant even begin to imagine. And doing that properly and creating a truly finished and fully polished and perfected next gen FF XV takes enormous amount of time. Much more then people realize.

But thats people for you. They keep whining if a game takes too long but also whine if it doesnt look perfect. essentially they want a perfect game right now and most of them doesnt really care what it takes to create that kind of quality for such a massive game.

Like when SE puts emphasis on graphics people go "I hate that they favor graphics so much. I would want a FF with more content and dont care about graphics"

But then the trailer for FF XV comes out and the same people go "the graphics are not good enough!"

Always bitchin about something. And always needing everything tomorrow and with most perfect quality. Really annoys the hell out of me.