Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Fallout 4:I gave Fallout 4 the same score, but I do think Fallout 4's quest design is more impressive, honestly. Fallout 4 often drops new gameplay wrinkles onto quests. One that comes to mind as an example, just one of many, is when you're defending a beached ship against bandit attacks for a crazy robot that still thinks it's before the bombs dropped. This is interesting for a few reasons. I mean, first off you have this unique beached ship location which is the type of thing that'd be reserved for a main story beat only in FF15. Second, you have multiple paths to very different completions. You can betray the robots and help the bandits or you can stay loyal.There's multiple approaches to the combat that ensues; staying up on the ship and blasting down on the enemy, or heading down and getting stuck in. There's giant cannons on the ship you can use to your advantage, and this is a unique gameplay mechanic that doesn't show up anywhere else, really. If you stick with the robots, it permanently aggros a specific group of NPCs against you which then changes the world flow, locks out a few shops and means you'll have to avoid a slice of town or kill them all.So: this is a quest that is 'kill the bad guys' much the same as many of FF15s, but it's nuanced in a number of ways that offer player agency and choice beyond how they do their killing and a set of consequences beyond who you cash in with for experience at the end. It's easy to boil the quest down to 'well, you just battle enemies' if you really strip it back, but there's actually quite a lot of nuance to most FO4 quests - whereas with most of the FF15 side quests what you see is what you get - that sort of subtlety isn't there. There's 80 side quests in FF15, but some of the quests that count towards that number are one-shot story cutscenes with no actual... which is cheeky. Things like this I have rough feelings on, thus the critique.
Is it not true that some of FFXV's side content is ridiculously extensive?

Like, I know that there are way more trivial side quests in FFXV than non-trivial ones, but some of the non-trivial ones sound like they offer a lot more than just a unique location or some differences in NPC states. There's supposedly a unique secret dungeon that takes five hours to beat, for instance. I've heard that there are Niflheim bases with their own mini-bosses and bosses that exist outside of the scope of the story and allow you to play either stealthy or guns blazing.

The impression I get, in other words, is that there was plenty of time spent on side content, but that the content wasn't spread evenly so you'd get a bunch of trivial stuff alongside the real meaty bits. Is that an incorrect assessment?

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
Man there are some douche bags on Metacritic (user reviews).

People saying the game is only 20 hours long, and that it's crap, and it's broken, and bad graphics etc etc.

They must be playing a different game. I am 10 hours in, and I have only just got in Duscae and it's genuinely amazing. Fighting is so much fun, especially when I pull off a great combo and then throw in a badass Fira for good measure and hear that awesome pop and blo through my speakers. Hah.

Hynad

Yevonite
Sep 19, 2016

People saying the game is only 20 hours long, and that it's crap, and it's broken, and bad graphics etc etc.

They must be playing a different game. I am 10 hours in, and I have only just got in Duscae and it's genuinely amazing. Fighting is so much fun, especially when I pull off a great combo and then throw in a badass Fira for good measure and hear that awesome pop and blo through my speakers. Hah.

I am 10 hours in and haven't even finished chapter 1. xD

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
I really want to watch the Easy Allies review, cause like you they are my fave, but I'm worried the review might have some spoilers. Can you tell me if it does?
No spoilers. In fact, they desisted if telling too much about the endgame because they wanted gamers to experience it by themselves. They jusy said really good things awaited there.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Haven't read all of the reviews yet, but I have heard word that one of them featured end game content in their video review.

Now I don't know if that's true or not, but that's in pretty poor taste to include such footage if it is.

So beware when diving into reviews guys and gals. Gosh can't believe I have to even say this for reviews of all things. It's not like it's a Live chat in a live stream =/

Hynad

Yevonite
Sep 19, 2016
Haven't read all of the reviews yet, but I have heard word that one of them featured end game content in their video review.

Now I don't know if that's true or not, but that's in pretty poor taste to include such footage if it is.

So beware when diving into reviews guys and gals. Gosh can't believe I have to even say this for reviews of all things. It's not like it's a Live chat in a live stream =/
I don't read of watch reviews of FF XV. I am playing the game, then will review it. And only then will I read other reviews to see if they align with mine in any way or not.

I don't need other people's opinion to influence my own.

So far, the game has been a blast.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I don't read of watch reviews of FF XV. I am playing the game, then will review it. And only then will I read other reviews to see if they align with mine in any way or not.

I don't need other people's opinion to influence my own.

So far, the game has been a blast.
It was merely a warning for the people who do like to go out and read reviews relax lol

I'm playing it too and it's extremely fun :p

ChrisB

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 25, 2014

Im on 7 hours and still on chapter 1 so this will be way more than a 20 hour game hoping to beat what I played on ff12 which was over 200 hours

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016

I think those people rushed through the story part of the game just so they can go online and talk about how good/bad it was to others.

It's like social media validation addiction in a way.

Never understand this type of behaviour, but for this game specifically, people are in a hurry to use any means to bash it from what I've seen.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I think those people rushed through the story part of the game just so they can go online and talk about how good/bad it was to others.

It's like social media validation addiction in a way.

Never understand this type of behaviour, but for this game specifically, people are in a hurry to use any means to bash it from what I've seen.
From what I've heard, the main quest really is 20-30hrs, even if you do some convenient sidequests and hunts along the way. Calling it a 20hr game because of that is kind of deceptive, though.

First off, it's an action RPG, so 20-30hrs is a normal length for the main quest of a game of its type. Kingdom Hearts games are about that long, depending on how you play (and in my opinion, the ones that are longer are often worse for it).

And, more importantly, it seems to have been designed with the intention of most of one's playtime being post-game, considering how much post-game content I've heard about. I kind of prefer it that way, to be honest, because that means less of a chance of getting spoiled on story elements. XD;