Final Fantasy XV - Sales Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
1,606
1,436
35
I want to make this 100% clear: if you have a valid argument to make about the decline of sales, I'm interested. I have zero stake in the company, and to be honest, the further away from the game I get, the less favourably lit it is. This has nothing to do with you insulting my binky as much as you'd like to think it is. The reason I say it's trolling is because you're harping on the same argument still. From the same angle. With the same lack of supporting sentences. It came off 100% like you were trying to get a rise out of anyone who read the numbers as the game doing fairly well by grasping at the same straw from months ago. And put it in there without context to further skew the point in your favor.
 

Airy Ariah

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
May 23, 2014
5
1
30
I want to make this 100% clear: if you have a valid argument to make about the decline of sales, I'm interested. I have zero stake in the company, and to be honest, the further away from the game I get, the less favourably lit it is. This has nothing to do with you insulting my binky as much as you'd like to think it is. The reason I say it's trolling is because you're harping on the same argument still. From the same angle. With the same lack of supporting sentences. It came off 100% like you were trying to get a rise out of anyone who read the numbers as the game doing fairly well by grasping at the same straw from months ago. And put it in there without context to further skew the point in your favor.
weren't you the one banned from GAF for being an insufferable zealot? lol
 

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
1,147
927
29
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Ah, simmer down, please.

RE straws - it's not really grasping at straws so much as looking at the ongoing developing situation and analysing it. I don't give a shit about getting a rise out of anyone, cos yo: if this matters to anyone who isn't worried about balancing SE's books that much I'm not really interested in talking to them and they need to take a damn step back. I'm interested in how the situation will impact the future of the series from a scientific perspective, and as I said, the decline in Japan (fuelled by the market, or the game, or as I believe, both) will have a direct impact on the types of games they choose to make going forwards and who they target them at. Thus it's important to note that while in Japan they've had some success and staved off some of the worries about a total washout, there's still a significant difference to account for (which, I reiterate, is well in excess of the market average) which'll no doubt be analysed deeply within SE.
 
Aug 14, 2016
428
516
All over
I want to make this 100% clear: if you have a valid argument to make about the decline of sales, I'm interested. I have zero stake in the company, and to be honest, the further away from the game I get, the less favourably lit it is. This has nothing to do with you insulting my binky as much as you'd like to think it is. The reason I say it's trolling is because you're harping on the same argument still. From the same angle. With the same lack of supporting sentences. It came off 100% like you were trying to get a rise out of anyone who read the numbers as the game doing fairly well by grasping at the same straw from months ago. And put it in there without context to further skew the point in your favor.
I don't think it was trolling, but rather exploring the whys of the series decline in Japan. @APZonerunner believes it's a combination of the market and the game itself. Myself, I share your view that the game itself had much to do with the decline in sales. The market for Japanese-developed games is elsewhere, and the sales (which are very strong) reflect that. All told, I still think it'll get close to FFX numbers and beat out FFXII and FFXIII. That's enough evidence to show the brand still is healthy. More importantly, the brand is able to evolve to meet the demands of the shifting marketplace. I still love the hell out of the game, warts and all, and I look forward to seeing the lessons learned here implemented into FFXVI.
 
Likes: Storm

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
2,600
4,014
26
so RE7 sold poorly compared to it's predecessors in japan, the market shift definitely hurt FFXV sales more than the damage caused by FFXIII (said "damage" was harmless in NA, so i believe ppl overestimated it).
 

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
1,147
927
29
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
so RE7 sold poorly compared to it's predecessors in japan, the market shift definitely hurt FFXV sales more than the damage caused by FFXIII (said "damage" was harmless in NA, so i believe ppl overestimated it).
Resi is a weird outlier because - as I detailed a few posts ago - Capcom has basically given up on the Japanese market for it and fully targeted it at the West (and it'll work out, I think). Resi, like FF, is tracking a decline in Japan that's a lot sharper than the average (though it still topped the charts)
 
Likes: Storm

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
1,483
1,987
Does this confirm 6 million units sold?

The highlights from the interview say that American and European companies predicted about four and a half years ago that the game would sell five million units, which Tabata felt was pretty low, so he’s happy to know that the game has already surpassed 6 million. He added that the game has performed well not only in Japan but also North America and Europe, so he’s happy with the results so far.
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/01/final-fantasy-xv-director-still-wants-port-game-high-end-pcs/
 
Likes: Storm

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
1,483
1,987
Flawed narrative =/= incomplete. Cut content should not be defined that way.

Also very late reply to quote but i'm getting this off my chest:

weren't you the one banned from GAF for being an insufferable zealot? lol
Ad hominem is not an argument. Kindly knock it off, its very petty.
 
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2017
409
362
Flawed narrative =/= incomplete. Cut content should not be defined that way.

Also very late reply to quote but i'm getting this off my chest:



Ad hominem is not an argument. Kindly knock it off, its very petty.
Meh, getting banned on GAF is nothing. You could sneeze the wrong way and get banned. Also, a lot of games in general have flawed narratives in some aspect or another. That doesn't mean that content still can't be enjoyed.
 
Likes: Nova

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
777
165
20
Unknown, Unknown
Flawed narrative =/= incomplete. Cut content should not be defined that way.

Also very late reply to quote but i'm getting this off my chest:



Ad hominem is not an argument. Kindly knock it off, its very petty.
It's incomplete and rushed, slap dashed together to make a quick buck, don't even. It's not just the cut content even though it's apart of it, this narrative is missing cutscenes, necessary cutscenes, and plot points, that are introduced in the later half of the game, but are completely undeveloped.
 
Likes: llazy77

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
777
165
20
Unknown, Unknown
Hope this dosent mean they think they could release 16 incomplete and that is ok and it will sell.
Don't worry bruh, they'll make Final Fantasy XVI 75% percent of a game and release the other 25% as an expansion and DLCs, oh and don't forget the several year hype train. Oh and don't worry you will have misleading hype trailers to, years, and years of over-promising, and hyping. All culminating in a disappointing climax. and it will sell just fine.
 
Likes: llazy77

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
1,150
523
23
Don't worry bruh, they'll make Final Fantasy XVI 75% percent of a game and release the other 25% as an expansion and DLCs, oh and don't forget the several year hype train. Oh and don't worry you will have misleading hype trailers to, years, and years of over-promising, and hyping. All culminating in a disappointing climax. and it will sell just fine.
Disgusting
 
Likes: Hey Everyone

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
2,600
4,014
26
so much cynicism with a bit of drama and salt

i like it

also if you think releasing an "incomplete" game is a new thing, research the development of many old square games and please free yourself from ignorance.
 

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
777
165
20
Unknown, Unknown
so much cynicism with a bit of drama and salt

i like it

also if you think releasing an "incomplete" game is a new thing, research the development of many old square games and please free yourself from ignorance.
Well luckily the old games, were great story rich complete experiences at least the best ones of course. Then XII-XIV happened. That didn't overpromise and under-deliver Also the problem with FFXV isn't just that it's unfinished, no the game is lacking regardless of it being finished or not. Unlike VI, VII, VIII, IX, X
 
Last edited: