Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
Interesting that they've officially declared that the English dub takes precedence over the Japanese one at this point. I could already see more care given in the English dubbing for FFVIIR and FFXV but it's still surprising to hear it said out loud. Guess the western market is just that much bigger at this point for Square and specifically Final Fantasy. Either way, I'm excited to see more of this game.
Interesting how at one point in time FF games wouldn't even come over to the west at all, and now the western market is taking priority in some regards.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Interesting how at one point in time FF games wouldn't even come over to the west at all, and now the western market is taking priority in some regards.
That can be put down to greater awareness of the international market. It's become less sectarian over the years, especially so with the 8th and 9th console generations, where companies have to release it in as wide a market as is feasible and plausible to get a profit or at least break even on the budget. And in simpler terms, SQEX/Square bet on a console that was being marketed more to the West with VII, and it paid off, so FF's become their Western flagship as Dragon Quest remains their Japanese one.

Oct 26, 2017
Costa Rica
In a panel that Famitsu did, there was a talk between Hironobu Sakaguchi and Naoki Yoshida about the potential and appeal of RPGs in general. Where Yoshi-p has given more information about Final Fantasy XVI.

- The main story is complete.
- They are working on side missions.
- Character models are almost complete.
- They are currently polishing the game.
- They started with the story from the beginning of production.
- They did not increase the workforce until they knew what they wanted to do.
- The bottom line is that they started production a long time ago (around 2015/16) with a small team and they prioritized the story from the beginning and didn't stop until they 'nailed' everything. After that, they increased the manpower to start the development in earnest.
- Sakaguchi-san is satisfied with the fantasy direction of the game and joked that he could write a side quest for FFXVI. XD
- Also, Sakaguchi-san would like to see FFXVI explore the human element, although it is said to be quite complex to achieve.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
So not only battling summons, but we have wind with Garuda, lightning with Ramuh, fire with Phoenix, earth with Titan, Ice/Water with Shiva, and two non-elementals Bahamut and Odin. Plus Ifrit, who appears to be the protagonist wildcard.

Also, did anyone else really enjoy seeing the summons actually fighting each other. I thought it looked incredible. And Odin just batting away Bahamut's flare attack actually gave me chills.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Probably it'll be something like Clive has party-like allies, but only he's controllable and he has access to a party's worth of abilities through the Eikon powers. And it feels like the kind of story where Clive would be in mortal danger and those allies would stage a rescue, allowing the player to control them.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
<yawn> ...what did I miss?

I wasn't really enamored with the very first trailer -- seemed a touch generic to me. I liked the second one much more so, and given the pedigree of the team (though I haven't played FF14 at all) I think we're in good hands. Not necessarily a fan of the HUD -- seemed way too busy and reminiscent of FF13 and its sequels.