KINGSGLAIVE: FINAL FANTASY XV news & discussion thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
More from neogaf
Final Fantasy XV Kingsglaive is a mess and the first 2 acts are like a bunch of 5 minutes shorts stitched up together. Everything moves too fast and no scenes are allowed to breathe. The dialogue and acting at times too, was cringy. Ansolutely bad action cinematography at times that you just get confused on whats happening.

The final 3rd act however, was pretty cool.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
More from neogaf
Final Fantasy XV Kingsglaive is a mess and the first 2 acts are like a bunch of 5 minutes shorts stitched up together. Everything moves too fast and no scenes are allowed to breathe. The dialogue and acting at times too, was cringy. Ansolutely bad action cinematography at times that you just get confused on whats happening.

The final 3rd act however, was pretty cool.

This is why they post stuff like this. most of the feedback there is actually positive, but the three people who are saying negative things about it are the ones getting the attention.

I mean, look at the post you quoted. How much thought do you think that guy put into that post? Ansolutely none, I'd wager.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
A review from Neogaf that has substance:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213251142&postcount=1437

Okay, so yeah. Well, that was... something. The film felt like Jon Snow from Game of Thrones. A bastard child possibly from an aborted relationship that ended badly, raised by someone who is honor-bound to care and treat it like family, but aware enough that it isn't good enough to showcase and legitimize as an heir. I would give it a solid A+ for technical effort, and a C- for the actual result.

The film is simple enough. It's about an elite taskforce set up by Regis to help repel the invading army over the course of a 12 year war. The taskforce is made up of people from the regions outside of Insomnia, considered "foreigners" by "pure" Lucians. There's an attempt to make a social statement about immigrant conscription and what a home is to these people, but none of it is really deep. Instead most of the runtime is filled with action setpieces which range from kinda entertaining to whatthefuckamIlookingatcantseeshit. Mostly the latter. The sound mixing is also incredibly poor, making chaotic quick cut action scenes even more confusing because the audio cues are just a mess.

For those who have not already read 50 wikipedia articles about the lore and setting of Final Fantasy XV, it's really easy to get lost in this film. There isn't much exposition, which is usually a good thing, but there really isn't much development either which is not okay. The film starts with a long droning narration by Luna about the state of the world and how the war started, but instead of feeling like an organic introduction to a fantasy story, it feels like a poorly edited LAST TIME ON FINAL FANTASY XV intro in a TV show.

I liked a lot of the designs, and I think the conscious attempt to ground the direction in the non-action scenes actually worked. Unfortunately there simply isn't enough of these scenes, and while they try to do quite a bit with the small original cast in the film, a lot of it falls flat and feels wasted because no one really knows any of these characters, and never will. Without a connection to these people, the only thing we have to go on is what they say about themselves, which frankly isn't interesting at all. There isn't enough interaction between the characters to build up any sort of natural dynamic and development for any sacrifice or tragedy to have impact.

I think long time FF fans, especially FFVII fans will be very pleased with the visual homages and boss nods throughout. Unfortunately that's all surface level fanservice because there's no reason for any of them actually being in the film. They're just pretty props. The final action set piece was clearly designed to be visually complex and I totally got what Nozue was going for in designing it the way he did, but his lack of ability to execute it in an elegant way made the entire fight confusing and messy rather than showcasing a really cool comparison of scale between two related but separate duels going on at the same time. Huge waste there.

Yeah, the film wasn't very good at all. But it's a Final Fantasy movie, so I guess it was pretty much what I expected. I wonder how useful it will be as a promotional tool for FFXV though. At my screening when the credits started rolling, it felt like the entire audience had a collective "huh, that's it?" reaction. And those who stayed for the post-credit game tease just laughed.

Last edited:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Personally, and selfishly, I'm glad to hear about it being too much info too fast for non-fans. As a fan that is highly likely to watch this movie a thousand times, I like that there will be stuff I might have missed the first time. But, I do see that being an overall problem for some out there.

I think they overestimate the average moviegoer's intelligence, though. I think most people will just see action action fun fun giants boom and be overall happy with it.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
I can see this movie getting better scores from FF fans than non-ones (clearly).

This is why they post stuff like this. most of the feedback there is actually positive, but the three people who are saying negative things about it are the ones getting the attention.

I mean, look at the post you quoted. How much thought do you think that guy put into that post? Ansolutely none, I'd wager.
Was that from a month or two ago or is it now?

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I can see this movie getting better scores from FF fans than non-ones (clearly).

Was that from a month or two ago or is it now?
Both. The last page or so has been off of those same few posters, though. Mainly from the one that posted the review I pasted, but that's because that's what there is to talk about. The general vibe is still positive.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/763746460638654465

why overrate neogaf's opinions, tho? I visit the forum daily and there's nice discussions there, but in the end... opinions.
Exactly. And Neogaf, while generally good discussion, also features some harsher critics than actual critics. You have to adjust for the Neogafness of it all. And by those terms, I actually consider all that positive, lol.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Drbretto, may i ask who was the user that made that lengthly impression you posted?
Sure, Duckroll. I should have put that in the original along with a link anyway, so I will do that now.

Edit: Keep in mind, though, again, that people there are harsher critics by design. While it's probably a moderately fair assessment in that poster's eyes, that doesn't in any way mean that the movie is bad. It's just basically a list of the things he didn't like.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
You haven't seen the bloody movie. Just wait until you see it before you pass judgments. Or at least wait until critic reviews are out. At least that's what I'll do.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
You haven't seen the bloody movie. Just wait until you see it before you pass judgments. Or at least wait until critic reviews are out. At least that's what I'll do.
Some journalist reviews are out already. They're generally praising the graphics and cinematography, while opinion has been more divided on the story and characters - some find them lacking, while others appreciate their depth and the political motions forming the core of the story. They are generally calling it better than both Advent Children and The Spirits Within.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
I'm one of those who enjoyed Advent Children a lot lol. Had no faults with it. I know that movie gets bashed a lot so I believe I will enjoy Kingsglaive :)