KINGSGLAIVE: FINAL FANTASY XV news & discussion thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Oct 19, 2013
So...is it well received?
Lots of positive impressions so far, yes.

Sakaguchi:
Towards the end of the lecture, Sakaguchi-san encouraged the audience to go see Kingsglaive. He found it “incredible,” and as someone who made a movie himself, he understand well how much work went into it.

According to Sakaguchi-san, the visuals are “even better than the trailer makes them look,” the story is “great,” and it justifies the group of four men who appear in the game.

He explained that at first, when he saw the four protagonists, they annoyed him because there was no female character. After watching the movie he understood, and he thinks players will be able to enjoy the game even more after watching it.
Some GAF users who saw it:

@birthbysleep:
The movie was great, action sequences were amazing as expected. Nyx was a great character. Luna was excellently portrayed and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of her story in the game. Ravus was super cool but was barely in it.

Some dislikes:
There wasn't really that much backstory given into the lore of XV like I was hoping for, but maybe I missed a few things because my Japanese isn't the greatest. Also it was kind of distracting because the lips are very obviously synced to the English voice so it didn't match at all to the Japanese voice.

[...]

Although the action sequences rival any typical Hollywood summer blockbuster, there isn't so much payoff with the story, which is intentional as it merely sets up things to come in XV. Those that are not familiar with XV might not appreciate the dramatic moments as much.

However, I think this would absolutely entertain general audiences. The story is basic enough to follow, and borders on Game of Thrones like vibes with the political drama. Hopefully they market this properly, it could do really well.

A friend I went with who is not a FF fan and was unfamiliar with XV found the movie to be quite entertaining and asked if their would be a sequel to see what happens when Luna finally reaches Noctis. So if SE's main goal with Kingsglaive was getting average people interested in the game, I think they have a chance at succeeding.​

@Hasemo:
Just came back from the cinema. I really enjoyed the movie, although Japanese voice felt really off for some reason. I'm saying this as someone who prefers Japanese VO in the game.

As for the movie itself, I really enjoyed battle scenes, which for the most part felt much less "chaotic" like some moments in Advent Children. Regarding the story, the movie did a really good job of introducing the world of FFXV. World building might have even been... too good. By which I mean, depending on how the game tackles introducing this part of the story, people might feel a bit lost if they don't see the movie.

[...]

This one might be the most beautiful CG movie yet. The people in this movie, sometime I can't tell the difference between them and real people

By the way, one thing that surprised me is that even old people came to watch Kingsglaive too. Like 50 years old or something. Not just one or two but maybe more than 10 of them watched in the same theater​

@Masked Man:
The film is excellent. Get hyped, y'all!​

-

And from the early showing a few days ago where mostly industry folks were:

@benzy:
Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken series):
-Those who are planning to buy FFXV - you have to watch it. Those who aren't planning to buy - you will if you watch the movie. It respects the series' predigree, but damn, what a way to handle the baton to the next generation.

-Thinking that SE made it in-house kind of drives me crazy. How long did it take to render every second of the movie? Hours? Dozens of hours?

-Yeah, the bad guys are an annoying geezer and a weird dude. I bloody hate them now, but considering how well they were depicted, mission accomplished. I've already sworn I'm going to absolutely wreck them in the game.

Other impressions
-Holy s***. Just... holy s***. Final Fantasy at its best and then it shot into Hollywood. Monsters felt outright alien sometimes.

-Tears. Cried a lot. I think the whole theater was crying at the end. There was outright sobbing around the mid-point, too. Wonder if Noctis realizes what a huge burden he's really inherited.

-I won the tickets, but it was much better than expected. Will go to see again.

-A huge work, really. Kind of unexpected in some aspects, but in a good way.

-Amazing! Having to wait until September to play the game makes me depressed now.

-A beautiful movie, though the action scenes were sometimes so fast they were hard to follow (lol). Wish the heroine's VA was a bit more expressive.

-Fantastic, might go to see it in the theater again. Story felt like a part of a really huge tale. Knew nothing about the setting before watching it and still could follow the movie just fine.

-Luna is a seriously bold and audacious heroine. Not the angry screaming type, but very daring. Final verdict: why isn't it September 30 yet!

-The Versus/XV project might have had a troubled history, but Kingsglaive definitely delivered. Really interested in the story now.

-Putting CGI aside (we all knew it'd look great) I was impressed by the pacing and composition. Even the prologue alone felt like a fully realized tale. The story also doesn't get bogged down in exposition and the balance of silence and motion is superb. My only criticism is that considering how rawly realistic and gruesome the story is, it should have been more bloody. Really recommend watching it before playing the game, because people who know only the demo might get floored by how dark the story really is.

-Highly recommended, seriously. The previous FF movie felt sappy and soap-opera-ish, but KG is very different. It felt Western. Those who like action and stories more focused on strength of will, zeal, and pride should definitely watch it.

-Simply put, fantastic. The visuals, the music, the impact, everything. Was worried about the VAs, but they did an excellent job.

-Been waiting for this since Versus' announcement and yeah, it delivered. Very emotive and the story reduced me to tears. Nyx is a great character and it really drives home how much hope and desperation rests on Noctis' shoulders. "Everything for the Future King", indeed.

-Way too amazing. Stunningly beautiful world and effects, the sunrise scenes in particular. The OST delivered too: powerful and dynamic, but also beautiful. Spent the whole credits crying. The OST was giving me constant goosebumps,
but the peak was probably the party scene, accompanied by haunting Somnus
. For people who had been following the project since the Versus days, the whole thing hit like a truck.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/73977136/855814452
https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/750327122208534528

And man, Luna and Crowe look great in the movie:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Lots of positive impressions so far, yes.

Sakaguchi:
Towards the end of the lecture, Sakaguchi-san encouraged the audience to go see Kingsglaive. He found it “incredible,” and as someone who made a movie himself, he understand well how much work went into it.

According to Sakaguchi-san, the visuals are “even better than the trailer makes them look,” the story is “great,” and it justifies the group of four men who appear in the game.

He explained that at first, when he saw the four protagonists, they annoyed him because there was no female character. After watching the movie he understood, and he thinks players will be able to enjoy the game even more after watching it.
Some GAF users who saw it:

@birthbysleep:
The movie was great, action sequences were amazing as expected. Nyx was a great character. Luna was excellently portrayed and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of her story in the game. Ravus was super cool but was barely in it.

Some dislikes:
There wasn't really that much backstory given into the lore of XV like I was hoping for, but maybe I missed a few things because my Japanese isn't the greatest. Also it was kind of distracting because the lips are very obviously synced to the English voice so it didn't match at all to the Japanese voice.

[...]

Although the action sequences rival any typical Hollywood summer blockbuster, there isn't so much payoff with the story, which is intentional as it merely sets up things to come in XV. Those that are not familiar with XV might not appreciate the dramatic moments as much.

However, I think this would absolutely entertain general audiences. The story is basic enough to follow, and borders on Game of Thrones like vibes with the political drama. Hopefully they market this properly, it could do really well.

A friend I went with who is not a FF fan and was unfamiliar with XV found the movie to be quite entertaining and asked if their would be a sequel to see what happens when Luna finally reaches Noctis. So if SE's main goal with Kingsglaive was getting average people interested in the game, I think they have a chance at succeeding.​

@Hasemo:
Just came back from the cinema. I really enjoyed the movie, although Japanese voice felt really off for some reason. I'm saying this as someone who prefers Japanese VO in the game.

As for the movie itself, I really enjoyed battle scenes, which for the most part felt much less "chaotic" like some moments in Advent Children. Regarding the story, the movie did a really good job of introducing the world of FFXV. World building might have even been... too good. By which I mean, depending on how the game tackles introducing this part of the story, people might feel a bit lost if they don't see the movie.

[...]

This one might be the most beautiful CG movie yet. The people in this movie, sometime I can't tell the difference between them and real people

By the way, one thing that surprised me is that even old people came to watch Kingsglaive too. Like 50 years old or something. Not just one or two but maybe more than 10 of them watched in the same theater​

@Masked Man:
The film is excellent. Get hyped, y'all!​

-

And from the early showing a few days ago where mostly industry folks were:

@benzy:
Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken series):
-Those who are planning to buy FFXV - you have to watch it. Those who aren't planning to buy - you will if you watch the movie. It respects the series' predigree, but damn, what a way to handle the baton to the next generation.

-Thinking that SE made it in-house kind of drives me crazy. How long did it take to render every second of the movie? Hours? Dozens of hours?

-Yeah, the bad guys are an annoying geezer and a weird dude. I bloody hate them now, but considering how well they were depicted, mission accomplished. I've already sworn I'm going to absolutely wreck them in the game.

Other impressions
-Holy s***. Just... holy s***. Final Fantasy at its best and then it shot into Hollywood. Monsters felt outright alien sometimes.

-Tears. Cried a lot. I think the whole theater was crying at the end. There was outright sobbing around the mid-point, too. Wonder if Noctis realizes what a huge burden he's really inherited.

-I won the tickets, but it was much better than expected. Will go to see again.

-A huge work, really. Kind of unexpected in some aspects, but in a good way.

-Amazing! Having to wait until September to play the game makes me depressed now.

-A beautiful movie, though the action scenes were sometimes so fast they were hard to follow (lol). Wish the heroine's VA was a bit more expressive.

-Fantastic, might go to see it in the theater again. Story felt like a part of a really huge tale. Knew nothing about the setting before watching it and still could follow the movie just fine.

-Luna is a seriously bold and audacious heroine. Not the angry screaming type, but very daring. Final verdict: why isn't it September 30 yet!

-The Versus/XV project might have had a troubled history, but Kingsglaive definitely delivered. Really interested in the story now.

-Putting CGI aside (we all knew it'd look great) I was impressed by the pacing and composition. Even the prologue alone felt like a fully realized tale. The story also doesn't get bogged down in exposition and the balance of silence and motion is superb. My only criticism is that considering how rawly realistic and gruesome the story is, it should have been more bloody. Really recommend watching it before playing the game, because people who know only the demo might get floored by how dark the story really is.

-Highly recommended, seriously. The previous FF movie felt sappy and soap-opera-ish, but KG is very different. It felt Western. Those who like action and stories more focused on strength of will, zeal, and pride should definitely watch it.

-Simply put, fantastic. The visuals, the music, the impact, everything. Was worried about the VAs, but they did an excellent job.

-Been waiting for this since Versus' announcement and yeah, it delivered. Very emotive and the story reduced me to tears. Nyx is a great character and it really drives home how much hope and desperation rests on Noctis' shoulders. "Everything for the Future King", indeed.

-Way too amazing. Stunningly beautiful world and effects, the sunrise scenes in particular. The OST delivered too: powerful and dynamic, but also beautiful. Spent the whole credits crying. The OST was giving me constant goosebumps,
. For people who had been following the project since the Versus days, the whole thing hit like a truck.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/73977136/855814452
https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/750327122208534528

And man, Luna and Crowe look great in the movie:
I've already got this pegged on my watchlist as I've got its DVD release on order. Liking what I'm hearing. The spirit of Versus XIII is alive and well.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Can you say whether it was the instrumental or vocal version of Somnus? I remember the vocal version being used in an ATB from Tokyo Game Show last year, and we know it's still being used as a key theme within the story, but I'm worried they might have dropped the vocals. Which would be a crime, in my view.

Oct 19, 2013
Can you say whether it was the instrumental or vocal version of Somnus? I remember the vocal version being used in an ATB from Tokyo Game Show last year, and we know it's still being used as a key theme within the story, but I'm worried they might have dropped the vocals. Which would be a crime, in my view.
No clue, sorry. You could ask in the Kingsglaive spoiler thread.

Noctis0312

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
May 25, 2014
Tokyo
No vocals, just the instrumental, but it's different from the first version with the piano; I'm guessing it's the same one that was in the Duscae demo.

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
About theaters: I was told (off the record) that a list will be announced soon.

About "Somnus": during the FFXV Universe Report broadcast on some channels in Japan the other day, a new TV spot featuring Uncovered/E3 2016 trailer footage and the vocal version (i.e. the piece as it was originally) aired. The voice lives.

RetroPS4

Chocobo Knight
Aug 10, 2015
About theaters: I was told (off the record) that a list will be announced soon.

About "Somnus": during the FFXV Universe Report broadcast on some channels in Japan the other day, a new TV spot featuring Uncovered/E3 2016 trailer footage and the vocal version (i.e. the piece as it was originally) aired. The voice lives.
Boom, I was pretty convinced already, but using it in a commercial seals the deal! any chance this commercial is online somewhere?

Oct 19, 2013

not confirmed i think, but really striking resemblance too.
Wait, are you Potionsmaster on GAF? If not that would be a funny coincidence as they posted the same image over there a few minutes ago :D And yeah, I just saw that it was confirmed in a Famitsu article. It's David Gant. Updated my image above.