Last Movie You've Seen

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Minion

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Aug 27, 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy. I expected a lot more superhero cheese. I was pleasantly surprised and entertained when it wasn't.

Kaii

PSICOM Soldier
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Aug 19, 2014
San Diego
I just saw Horrible Bosses 2. I liked the first one because I'm a huge fan of Jason Bateman (Arrested Development), Jason Sudeikis (SNL/30 Rock) and Charlie Day (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia). I think they're a great ensemble cast and I love the rapport they've established since the first movie. I actually though the sequel was even better than the first one and I was cracking up the whole time in theaters. I honestly can't remember the last time I laughed like that at a comedy film. Chris Pine and Christoph Waltz are both great additions. Kevin Spacey makes a brief, but excellent reprisal.

But mostly, at least for me, it was unpredictable. There were a lot of plot twists that I didn't see coming and I was constantly being surprised by the jokes as well. There was a great Ocean's 11 homage in the middle and a huge subversion of it. But I really think that they nailed the ensemble humor -- I think that anyone who's a fan of It's Always Sunny might really like it. There are a lot of great improvisations and instances of everyone talking at once where the effect is that they've smuggled in a couple of hilarious lines.

I'd give it a 7/10, which imho is well above most comedy films.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I recently watched FFVII: Advent Children again and I have to say with each time I like it a bit less. The story maybe isn't god-awful, but it's still rather disappointing for FF7 sequel. But my main issue lies with the characters. Why is this movie only about Cloud and Tifa? All the other characters just appear for one battle and are completely irrelevant anyway. Now, I like Cloud and Tifa but I also like the rest of the cast from FF7 and I wish they got a bit more screentime and played some more important part in the movie's story.

That said, I have to mention that after almost 10 years the visuals are still stunning. I makes me wish Square made a new FF movie with modern day CGI that would far surpass AC. Maybe FFXV movie? I'd prefer that to any game-sequels.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Watched The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies. Was ok, better than the previous ones at least. Clichés were too many to count, though.

Also watched Mitt, the Netflix documentary about Mitt Romney's candidacies in 2008 and 2012. I quite enjoyed it, mostly because I'm really interested in elections, and to see what a candidate does is really refreshing.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Rurouni Kenshin (Live-Action),the first of the three movies, easily in top 5 best live-action adaptation of anime/manga:):D:happy::woot:;):p:embarrassed::smug::oops::drool:. Wonder if America/Western could pull the same in the future :chocowalk::kefkalol::cactuar:.

May 26, 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy - I enjoyed it. I liked how it was very humorous and tongue-in-cheek. Though it was often hard to take some of the less humorous scenes seriously when they had literally just come off of witty banter. That and
it was blatantly obvious from the moment Groot showed up that he would sacrifice himself in the end and they would find a seed or something to replant him. So the emotional impact of that scene was severely lessened for me.
But whatever. Good movie.

Evangelion 1.11 - I don't like Evangelion at all really, but this movie was surprisingly good. It was basically just the first 8 (I think?) episodes of Evangelion.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Rewatched all 9 NARUTO movies during the previous weeks. Most of them are okay and entertaining enough. Now waiting for movie 10: The Last Naruto The Movie (candidate to the best of the franchise:embarrassed:), and movie 11: Boruto, Naruto The Movie (odd naming)

Last edited:

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Rurouni Kenshin. I finally got around to importing the live action Blu-ray movie. It was everything I hoped and expected it to be. Can't wait for the next one! If you're a Kenshin fan or just a fan of martial arts movies, it's a must-watch.

May 26, 2014
Finally got around to Interstellar. Not gonna lie, it's now one of my favorite movies ever.

Edit: Parts of it reminded me of Gunbuster somewhat, and also Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke.

Last edited:
I watched Chappie on Friday night with a few friends. It wasn't at all what I was expecting -- which, to be fair, I'm not certain what I expected, but it certainly wasn't this.

This was an incredibly strange film. I knew Die Antwoord were in the film but didn't realize what a role they'd play, not just as characters but for the overall design of the film. I thought their music and unique style actually added quite a lot; the film's major weakness is the narrative, which I'm told was also an issue with both District 9 and Elysium (I haven't seen either). I'm not entirely certain what the deal was with Ninja & Yolandi's little crew; it often felt as though the two had stumbled onto set and just resumed their regular lives in front of a few cameras. It seemed to take place in this strange, alternate reality, where people actually do things like live under highways and paint machine guns various pastel hues. I wish the artificial intelligence angle was played up more, and that Dev Patel got more screentime. I'm not a fan of Hugh Jackman but his character too needed more fleshing out. I liked the ending quite a lot, though.

I'd watch it again.

Caught up on a couple movies I've been wanting to check out for awhile. Last night I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I enjoyed seeing Rise back when it was out in theatres, but I missed out on Dawn up until now. Happy to say it didn't disappoint and proved to be one of the few cases in which I finished watching it and immediately wanted a sequel. And the chimpanzee riding a horse and dual-wielding machine guns aside, I thought it was an intelligent film in most regards. I got the sense that it knew what it wanted to be and didn't water anything down to try to appeal to everybody. My only minor complaints would be that the second act dragged on a bit and they were a little too in-your-face with the whole
"Look, the apes are like us! Some good, some bad!" narrative. It was really only during a couple scenes at the end though.
Other than that, it's great, though if you saw the first film and didn't care for it, Dawn probably wouldn't impress you either.

I also just finished watching How to Train Your Dragon 2. I don't think it had quite the same impact or charm that the first movie did, but it was still enjoyable.
My main gripe is that the arc of Hiccup's mom was under-developed. Those bonding scenes with her and Hiccup and then Stoic were real warm and fuzzy, but not much became of them. They were pushed aside for the main conflict with Drago and then at the end it's just kind of like "Yup, she's just going to stay in Berk now." I know there are plenty of reasons for that, especially since the dragon nest was destroyed, Toothless is the alpha now and it looked like a lot of, if not all, the dragons were going to hang around Berk, but it just didn't feel like she made an active, legitimate decision to do so. And even though she said yes earlier when Stoic and Hiccup were convincing her to come home with them, she still seemed very hesitant about it.

Luna

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Mar 22, 2015
Parasyte, I think. The live-action one. I didn't think it was that bad at first, but after reading the beginning of the manga and watching some of Parasyte: The Maxim, I can't recommend watching this film or Part 2.

Sioux

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Rosebud, SD
Avengers: Age of Ultron.

I'm a big comic book fan so I was stoked for this one. Alas, they put out so many trailers I, more or less, knew what was happening almost at all times in this movie but, I saw enough non-trailer content to be happy. Honestly, the movie is definitely not a complete narrative and suffers a little from middle movie syndrome. The odd part is you don't even care as it just runs away with this convoluted plot of utter robotic villainy in the form of Ultron that the obvious plot holes and cinematic flaws are all but forgotten. Especially, with the big arc shot near the end. It definitely rivals the 360 shot of the team assembling together from the first film. I really went just to see if they would do Vision any justice at all in presentation and they definitely did. Plus, James Spader absolutely kills it as Ultron. I think I got my moneys worth even though I had to shell out extra money for a 3D ticket I didn't want...

BZero

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 25, 2013
The new Mad Max movie.

A fun "popcorn movie". Obviously not close to the best movie ever, but damn good entertainment if you watch it in the cinema.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Ex Machina.

I thought it was a pretty good take on psychology and the idea of the "Singularity."
The movie pretty much asks you throughout the film "How do you know if something is autistic or has consciousness?" and how do you treat those things we consider to be conscious? It also grapples with the idea of pre-determinism vs autonomy.
I'd recommend the movie, depth aside, it's an interesting watch.