Let´s replay Final Fantasy: FINAL FANTASY IX

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Hehe! I just entered that old woman's house in Alexandria's Main Street and stole her savings (6 gil for God's sake!)... Vivi is a spoiled kid and I enjoy that! :D

EDIT: Oh! And Puck needs to stop trying to do that! I go like zig-zag and he still makes me fall!

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
@Leon Aether: oh yeah I once had that too, where I got the Mage Masher straight away. But most of the times it takes forever. Thankfully Baku isnt very dangerous. Generally I ALWAYS steal from bosses until I get all the good stuff. Gives huge advantages in battles.

By the way really love your energy and enthusiasm, leon and how talk about the game and are into it. Thats what I hoped for :) Keep it coming^^

I am still busy for about an hour, then I will start myself

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
well inevitably there will always (and I mean always) be mentions of me or other people of things you or others know about. I want to mention and gather these things (where to find this and that) even if everybody knows where they are. just in case. we cant possibly keep track of who knows what about the game. So get ready for reading for lots of stuff that you already know about. No one here is a mind reader.

In fact I would like us specifically to list things in advance that should be looked out for so anyone can get them as early as possible. Think of it as a guide that everyone contributes to.

But yeah in the beginning its always pretty straightforward. Still it doesnt hurt to explore a bit off the main path.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Hehe! I just entered that old woman's house in Alexandria's Main Street and stole her savings (6 gil for God's sake!)... Vivi is a spoiled kid and I enjoy that!
That reminds me of something from the german official guide for FF IX where it says "Taking every item you can find from peoples houses is part of the proper behavior in Final Fantasy IX" lol

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Well there isn't a path to deviate from until you actually get to the world map.

So here's my first tip: Kill Zidane at the start of the Plant Brain battle.

One of the best battle tips, however, is to set the ATB to Wait, then every time one of your allies performs an action, make sure another character selects something to keep the enemy window open. This ensures the enemy ATB does not rise until the attack is over, putting you at a much better advantage. It makes the game a lot easier.

Sadly, the actual battles of FF9 are so slow; from the start up to the actual ATB build ups, it's definitely one of the slowest in terms of battles. That, and there being no way to reduce/disable encounters are probably the only negatives.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
thats a nice tip indeed. I always have my ATB on wait anyway. But I dont feel that the battles are slow. I just set the battle speed for fastest and the battles are nice and quick to me. certainly not slower than in VII or IX. maybe you are just too used to the more dynamic ATB in XIII :p

Talking about the battles in the US version of course. The Pal version has an annoying slowdown in gaming speed. But in the US version I dont find them annoyingly slow at all.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
thats a nice tip indeed. I always have my ATB on wait anyway. But I dont feel that the battles are slow. I just set the battle speed for fastest and the battles are nice and quick to me. certainly not slower than in VII or IX. maybe you are just too used to the more dynamic ATB in XIII :p
Do you mean "VII or VIII?" Because FFIX is definitely the slowest of the three.

For sure, adding PAL into the equation would make it more noticeable. Even a slow NTSC FFIX is better than a slow PAL FFIX. So it becomes more tolerable when playing the US version, although is still slower than VII and VIII, imo.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
OMG! Go kill yourself you insolent hippo!
WP_20131005_003.jpg

@Azuardo Well in FFVIII I had to see 3 or 4 times a single GF and it really made get bored quickly. Still IX battles even though they are slow, there so many things you can do even from start due to the variety of abilities and the fact there are 4 party members (after Plant Brains of course)...

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
@Azuardo Well in FFVIII I had to see 3 or 4 times a single GF and it really made get bored quickly. Still IX battles even though they are slow, there so many things you can do even from start due to the variety of abilities and the fact there are 4 party members (after Plant Brains of course)...
Agreed, but that can be said for summons in all three of those FFs lol. Just talking about the speed of the battle systems.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
oh yeah VII or VIII. Dont know what version you´re playing or if your modded PSP slows the battle speed down but in my PSClassic version for PS3 (US version) the battles are not too slow at all. Not at fastest battle speed. and definitely not slower than VII and VIII. I even think that the battles in IX run more fluid and smoother then in VII and VIII. But lets not debate that to the end of time please....

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
oh yeah VII or VIII. Dont know what version you´re playing or if your modded PSP slows the battle speed down but in my PSClassic version for PS3 (US version) the battles are not too slow at all. Not at fastest battle speed. and definitely not slower than VII and VIII. I even think that the battles in IX run more fluid and smoother then in VII and VIII. But lets not debate that to the end of time please....
lol, opinions indeed. I've heard others talk about the slowness of the FFIX battles, so I know I'm not the only one, but hey ho! I love them all the same.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
@Leon that capture of yours with that image made me laugh out loud haha. Bloody hilarious :p Insolent hippo lol

as for the summons, I LOVE LOVE LOVE summons. They are always my most favorite part of gameplay and I am always so excited to get them all and see them for the first time in action. My favorite is Bahamut. I dont have a problem watching their animations over and over because I just love summons. Though I admit that after I have seen a summon once, I do rather attack physically if I can (but thats also because I generally prefer physical attackers). But every time I play FF I definitely have to see every summon in action.

In FF IX you can actually see shortened versions of the summon animations but sadly unlike in FF X you cant set it yourself if you wanna see the long or short version (unless you have Boost equipped of course). I also dont like that the short versions in IX dont inflict as much damage as the long ones.

Did you guys know that you can actually learn different spells with Carbuncle (depending on which jewel you ahve equipped) ? There isnt just reflect but I think Haste and Shell as well. But its gonna be a while until we are at summons in FF IX, they are added unusually late in the game (there arent even summons on disc 1).

I never tested this but do you guys know if you can level up Garnet so much that she has enough MP to use her summons on disc 1? She already has them but cant use them because she doesnt have enough MP. Is it technically possible to level up like insane until you have enough MP to use the summons before she gets to Pinnacle Rocks?

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
I never tested this but do you guys know if you can level up Garnet so much that she has enough MP to use her summons on disc 1?
She can summon them! I have managed to summon both Shiva and Ifrit on disc one during one of my playthroughs just to verify this. Plus I always try to reach a certain lvl in disc two so that she can actually summon and farm with ease...

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
She can summon them! I have managed to summon both Shiva and Ifrit on disc one during one of my playthroughs just to verify this. Plus I always try to reach a certain lvl in disc two so that she can actually summon and farm with ease...
Don't think I ever tried to do that before, but cool info to know, nonetheless.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Ok here goes... I impressed all 100 nobles during that sword fight with Blank on my second attempt, even though the first was still flawless. Has anyone achieved this on the first attempt? I got 10000 gil as usuall and Brahne awarded Steiner with a Moonstone when she send him to find the princess...

EDIT:
-Garnet: Is there something on my face?
-Zidane: Oh no... You see I just thought maybe you were the one I'd been waiting for all this time.
-G: Excuse me? You were waiting for me?
-Z: Yeah! I've dreamt of meeting you here ever since I was born!
-G: ...... Do you mock me?

I love this game!!!!!! :D

Last edited:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Ok here goes... I impressed all 100 nobles during that sword fight with Blank on my second attempt, even though the first was still flawless. Has anyone achieved this on the first attempt? I got 10000 gil as usuall and Brahne awarded Steiner with a Moonstone when she send him to find the princess...
I'd wager I may have done it first attempt in at least one of the many playthroughs, but I don't recall it happening recently. You playing PAL version? Apparently easier to achieve in PAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.