Let´s replay Final Fantasy: FINAL FANTASY IX

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY

Welcome to the first playthrough of our "Lets replay Final Fantasy" project :) During this project we will play through several FF games together, leaving no stone unturned.

The Rules

Everyone who is on the list of players (see below) starts the game at the same time. Throughout the game there will be various savepoints (either moogles or on the worldmap) who also serve as Checkpoints (For a complete list of all the checkpoints see below under "checkpoints"). Once such a checkpoint is reached, nobody will proceed to the next location or with the story until everyone else has reached that checkpoint as well. Players are free to do whatever they want in the game until everyone has reached the checkpoint. However while everyone is free to explore and do as much as they want there is of course a limit of waiting time at the checkpoints. Once the majority of players has reached the checkpoints (until only 1 or 2 players are left who havent reached it yet) the remaining players who havent reached it need to stop what they are doing (unless they are already following the main story to that checkpoint) and need to start to make their way to the checkpoint ASAP. This will only be the case though if the majority of players has already waited a significant amount of time for the remaing players. generally players should not rush too fast through the game or be too slow so that we all have more or less the same gaming speed and reach the checkpoints together within a few hours.

Spoilers of events that havent happened in the game yet are not allowed, in case someone plays the game for the first time, engages in conversation about the game or simply cant remember the story too well. Lets treat the story like we all play it for the first time. This does not apply to gameplay elements or sidequests.

The main purpose of the project is to expeience the game together so all players should regularly post about their progress, thoughts and adventures in this thread. You can talk about characters and story (but not about events that havent happened yet), about gameplay, progress, battle strategies, sidequests, music or anything else and help each other, give each other advice and make sure that we dont miss anything. Its entirely up to the player when he will post in here however he should post at the latest once he reaches a checkpoint. Otherwise some players might end up not posting until they reached the 3rd or 5th checkpoint which would defy the purpose of experiencing the game together.

Also people who dont participate in the playthrough (but following it with watching a walkthrough instead because they dont have the game atm) are free to participate in the conversation as well of course, though they to follow the no-spoilers rule as well

The Checkpoints

This is a list of all the checkpoints in the game:

DISC I

1. after defeating Plant Brain and reach world map

2. Right before you go below Dali at the Inn savepoint.

3. Right after the Hunting Festival in Lindblum , once you reach worldmap again.

4. After beating Gizamaluke, once you reach world map

5. After completing Disc I

DISC II

1. After beating the bosses with Dagger, Steiner and Marcus and once you are back with Zidane and co. on world map

2. After Cleyra is destroyed and you reach the moogle on the "Red Rose"

3. After you save Dagger from Brahne and reach the moogle at Pinnacle Rocks

4. After beating Rani in Fossil Roo and reach worldmap again.

5. After reaching Madain Sari for the 1st time

6. After defeating Soulcage and returning to Madain Sari

7. After completing Disc II

DISC III

1. After Bahamut vs Alexander battle, first moogle once you are back at Lindblum.

2. First moogle after you enter Kujas hideout

3. First moogle after beating Ark in Oeil Vert

4. First moogle after reaching Esto Gaza

5. First moogle after obtaining Eidolon Maduin

6. First moogle after saving Amarand in Ipsens Castle.

7. First moogle after reaching Terra

8. First moogle after Zidane reunites with everyone in Pandemonium (after the bosses he initially fights alone)

9. After completing Disc III

DISC IV

Okay now its getting a bit more complicated because now begins what I call the "Final preperation" phase which is the time where I max out the characters, get all the best possible weapons, equipment, spells, summons etc.(which I dont have yet) and take on the optional bosses (in this case Ozma)

Since there are different ways how players can now complete all thats left before entering Iifar Tree again for the final boss battles, there should be no more checkpoints from here on out. Some will want to do the hotncold minigame first, others might want to beat Hades first, complete sidequests etc.

So I suggest we just meet up here regularly during that phase to talk about our individual progress and once everyone has completed everything he wishes to complete we then return to crystal together for the final battles which will conclude the playthrough.

The Players

This is the official list of all players who will take part in the FF IX playthrough and who will all start together. Additional players are welcome but need to catch up on their own. The starting players will not wait for new ones at the checkpoints

Azuardo
Zack
Leon Aether
Phoenix
Nikolasvanitas
Omegaflare
buddhafied

As soon as everyone on that list signals that he is ready to begin we start.

Last edited:

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
Starting tomorrow afternoon. Plan on streaming it all at our Twitch channel - www.twitch.tv/rpgsite. Excalibur II Challenge mode engaged.
Isn't that a bit sadistic? When I tried going for the Excalibur II (The one where you need to reach the end area in 13 hours or so, right?) I saw the time limit and went "hell naw" Is it still a low lvl challenge too?

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
Isn't that a bit sadistic? When I tried going for the Excalibur II (The one where you need to reach the end area in 13 hours or so, right?) I saw the time limit and went "hell naw" Is it still a low lvl challenge too?
Sure is. First attempt at this one.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
yeah Excalibur II is kind of impossible in this project since you cant blaze through the entire game in super-speed. There will be conversations here and waiting times at the checkpoints as we play. getting to Excalibur II in less than 12 hours can only be done in a major speed-run and I stated from the beginning that this project is not a speed run nor should it ever be. The goal is to enjoy and complete the game at its fullest. I think I even stated in the rules (to all players: pls read them carefully before we start!) that players shouldnt be too slow or rush too fast through the game but adopt a pace that works mostly for everyone. i dont want this to become a speed run project.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
Ah. If it will disrupt the LP, then I will stick with a low level challenge going at my own pace.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
@Zack: Thanks for understanding. What you can do however is to just rush to the checkpoint and then save there. then wait for everyone to arrive at it as well and reload your save file (Your waiting times at the checkpoints however would be much longer than for the other players, keep that in mind). I just dont want everyone now doing a speed run here. But I think its okay if one player wants to do the Ex II challenge. I just dont want it to turn the entire project into a speed run project. I dont mean that personal or anything.

@Nikolasvanitas: It would of course be really cool if you could do that (I dont even know how to take screenshots with my PS3, how do you do that?) but its definitely not required. All that is required is stated in the rules in the original post of this thread but new ideas like this are always welcome.

So that means we only need confirmation from Phoenix and Leon when they can start and we´re good to go :)

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Ok. Right now the time here is 22.08, and I can start playing either now or tommorow. Some of us live in European regions, so excuse me if I can't follow your conversations during nights due to different time zones, but gladly I can participate during afternoons and evenings...

Last edited:

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
You guys can start without me. I've played the game so many times that I can catch up rather quickly. The low level challenge requires fleeing anyway. lol

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Hey, don't forget me, I'm in! PS Vita charged and READY! I'm very excited as I've re-purchased the game on PSN for over a year and still haven't started playing. It's nice to be able to play this "with" other fans!

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
@buddhafied: maybe you should have checked the general discussion thread more often. I asked everyone who wants to be in to confirm that they are in so I can put them on the player list. You are lucky we havent started yet, otherwise we would have started without you! I am putting you on the player list but please check in more regularly. We cant wait several days for you until we can continue during the playthrough. Please read the rules of the project in the original post above as well.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
@buddhafied: maybe you should have checked the general discussion thread more often. I asked everyone who wants to be in to confirm that they are in so I can put them on the player list. You are lucky we havent started yet, otherwise we would have started without you! I am putting you on the player list but please check in more regularly. We cant wait several days for you until we can continue during the playthrough. Please read the rules of the project in the original post above as well.
For sure~ Thanks for including me. I was pretty busy for the past two days so weren't able to check the forum. I'll be checking regularly from here on. Can't wait! :D Read the rules and everything already.

Status
Not open for further replies.