Let's talk about the worst Final Fantasy characters

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
Hope grinded my gears as well sometimes, but he was much better in the sequel!

The late FFXIII trailers emphasised the melodrama a lot, and they were especially painful to watch with that awful theme music they licensed.
It made the game seem really unappealing to me. I'm surprised it still managed to sell six million after that sort of marketing.
The decision to use a song that didn't even have anything to do with the game for the English release was a massive mistake. Don't know what they were thinking. The Japanese theme song is better but nothing showstopping.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
That's a good point that Ehren brought up about Wakka and his religious attitude. That really brought his character down for me, although I'm glad he eventually was shown the truth, the stubborn git.

Worst character, though... Maybe FFXIII Hope. Like others said, he's better in XIII-2. But a bit of an annoying shit in the first one.

Sep 26, 2013
I believe they call that melodrama, and you're right.
Yep. It was being used during times where it was not needed and then when the time was right to actually use it, a what could have been a powerful moment, ended up making the characters come off as annoying instead. If you're not careful with how you use emotion, it results in bad storytelling.

Last edited:

Chaos

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 27, 2013
Oregon
chaos1950.tumblr.com
I actually didn't mind Hope, I think I'm the only person who is neutral towards him. XD

For me though I feel the worst Final Fantasy characters are Vaan and Wakka.

Wakka just annoys me with how overly religious he is. I always enjoy it when you get to that part in FFX where his world comes crashing down. Also I always thought the blitzball was a derpy weapon, why not a bow and arrow? I'm pretty sure wood + string + pointy tips aren't machina. It's ok Wakka, embrace archery.

Vaan gets on my nerves because I just never liked him as a main character. Every time he'd talk or interrupt in a cut-scene I always felt like Ashe or Balthier was going to turn to him and say "be quiet, the adults are talking". He just felt out of place most of the time, and because of that I didn't use him in my main party.

Nikolasvanitas

Chocobo Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
I think that the worst character may be Vanille,i dont mind young characters like Hope but Vanille and especially her english voiceactor was annoying
I just dont understand why they needed her to sound like an anime teenage lollita,maybe Japan has changed
Anyway i have to appologise to FFXIII fans,I dont hate the game,I have platinumed both FFXIII and FFXIII-2 but seriously Vanille shouldnt be in Final Fantasy or they should have paid more attention to her character and voiceactor

Seda

Yevonite
Site Staff
Sep 24, 2013
Atlanta, GA
twitter.com
My least favorite character? I'm going to say Steiner. I know some people love his goofy ineptitude but from his design to his clumsy bumbling to his overprotective attitude towards Garnet, I just couldn't care for him.

As for Wakka, I tend to agree with others in here about his piety that was a bit annoying, however I find that Wakka is well used as an illustration/example of the religious people of Spira. His views on Yevon, his often at-odds dialogues with Rikku, and how he reacts to learning the truth about the religion he put his life into, I really appreciated how it felt into the storytelling and presented that particular worldview to the player. His back and forths with Rikku and the Al Bhed specifically is something that really illustrates that major issue with Spira as a whole, and I couldn't see the narrative working well without that being present.

Masqurin

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 27, 2013
Mmmm... should be Rinoa. She's too... how do you say - forceful, I suppose. Actually Squall annoyed me too (and I thought I had a crush on him before the game was released because he looked like GACKT, so that was pretty much disappointing). Actually I didn't like the whole game. The soundtrack and Triple Triad's outstanding though, but wow, this is the only FF I didn't finish on purpose.

There was a time when I really hated Tifa and Aerith just because I wanted Yuffie with Cloud hahaha (after that super cute dating scene, I coudn't get over it!)

I thought Hope was really annoying too but then I found some attachment to him as he was great in battles/gameplay. And he's so hot in FFXIII-2 (my goodness). Aside from that, I think he turned out pretty well & stable in the end. So yeah I can't deny he's a favourite now.

Amicitia

Balamb Garden Freshman
Sep 26, 2013
FFVIII cast bar Laguna. And I tried really hard not to neglect their characters' purposes, and, yes, well, I understood their struggles... but wow they never really stood out to me in any way that advancing through the story alone with them became almost an unbearable experience.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I think that the worst character may be Vanille,i dont mind young characters like Hope but Vanille and especially her english voiceactor was annoying
I just dont understand why they needed her to sound like an anime teenage lollita,maybe Japan has changed
Anyway i have to appologise to FFXIII fans,I dont hate the game,I have platinumed both FFXIII and FFXIII-2 but seriously Vanille shouldnt be in Final Fantasy or they should have paid more attention to her character and voiceactor
lol yep, those Vanillegasms really pissed me off. I couldn't understand what sort of game I was playing when every single step she took she literally let out a noise that I'd expect from anime. Turns out S-E Japan wanted her to sound like that in the English script, so her VA can't really be blamed. It was just cringe-worthy.

Larsa from FF 12 was the worst, I really never liked him as every time he spoke it was very "I know everything" all that, cannot stand that freak.
I was thinking of this guy, too. Stuck-up know-it-all/I'm-better-than-you types always piss me off, no matter what the game, but to have it as some kid is even worse.

My least favorite character? I'm going to say Steiner. I know some people love his goofy ineptitude but from his design to his clumsy bumbling to his overprotective attitude towards Garnet, I just couldn't care for him.
If he didn't have a complete character change then I would have agreed. Again, another stubborn person that refuses to accept the truth (like Wakka), and the longer it goes on, the more annoying it gets. I think it would be unfair either way to label him as the "worst written" character, though - but to say he's someone you dislike in the game for a good portion of it I could agree with.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
For me, Wakka from X is by far the worst! I really put my tv on mute when he speaks! I so dislike that character and that passion for blitzball that his main weapon is a blitzball! His character is balls too... Second in my list is Vaan from XII. He just cannot be compared with the god Balthier! I never really liked him as the protagonist. Sorry... I found also Riku from X a bit annoying and Seymour, because he was never dying!!! I never really liked Aerith too from VII, and I didn't mind that she died because that way the story went even better, and Snow in XIII, that "hero" thing was irritating... And I am not a huge fan of Sephiroth too. Great development yes, especially in advent children, but that's where I stop... Caius diminishes completely that silver hair guy!
And sorry, but i cannot even try compare that weird frog chef "thing" called Quina with Lightning! In fact I can't compare Quina with any FF character. Even Red from VII who wasn't human, was actually so great and I always had him in my party..

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
Really? Not even Wakka? I cant imagine what the laughing scene must of looked to you.
I found none of the characters likable or even relatable. Wakka was a braindead idiot, Yuna decided to marry someone as transparently evil as Seymour with his antler hair, Tidus was just some throwaway with daddy issues who loves to whine a lot and pretend like the story is about him.... yeah, I can keep going on if you want me to. lol

Frei

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Worst Final Fantasy character award goes to Quina. Even Lightning can't compete with that thing.
She has the best ATE's though. I think she suffered for being optional for so long, she lost out on a lot of potential development. I like her a lot. She's awful in battle though.

I'm not fond of most of FFVIII's main cast, but Zell in particular gets to me. He's the guy no one really wanted to hang out with in high school but did because he had cool friends. Seifer's on the ball with regards to him.

Caius

Yevonite
Sep 29, 2013
I honestly have no worst character of the francise. There's characters I dislike, for one reason or another. (Surprisingly, Fang I can't stand her. She's a good character, she just rubs me the wrong way.) Same case with Noel. However, were this thread the reverse question, you could probably not get me to shut up about my favorite characters.

I'm honestly disappointed with how many people dislike Wakka, he's one of my personal favorites from the series (alongside Lulu, who I'll admit I like Wakka better than I like her). Hope as well? Then again, given his character, it's not very surprising people dislike him. (he was never my favorite either. Although now for different reasons than his character being dramatic in XIII).