Major Mognet Update: August '15

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Today we've instituted some major upgrades to the boards from a functionality standpoint. Here's what's new:

Security Improvements
Here's some pertinent security improvements.
  • Two Step Verification. Worried about your Mognet account getting hijacked? You can now enable two-step account verification via a phone app or via email. Keep your account safe! We strongly recommend using this. If you enable two-step, you will be prompted to generate a 'recovery code' that you can write down, so even if you lose access to your phone or email you can log in to Mognet. You can also email admins in this instance for us to take care of it.
  • Password Emails. If your password is changed, you will now be notified of the fact via email. If you need to change your password for an account recovery, the process of doing so is now more easy.
Profile Post Improvements
Something deeply underused here on Mognet is Profile Posts, IE posting on your user profile, or others'. We hope this'll help to change that.
  • 'Like' Profile Post Comments. Previously, you could 'like' profile posts, but not comments made on them by others. Now you can like both, and this'll count towards both your likes given and received.
  • Recent Profile Posts Menu. We'll now display the most recently updated Profile Posts in our sidebars, as with recent posts. You can also update your own status - IE make a profile post - from this very menu, plus like or comment on the most recent ones.
  • Search Profile Posts. This is pretty self explanatory.
  • Profile Posts are now Spam-Checked. With an increased usability for them, profile posts will now be subject to the same moderation (and rules) as regular posts.
Thread Improvements
  • Thread Tags. Thread creators can now 'tag' threads with topics (IE 'Final Fantasy XV', 'News', or whatever else) and you can then use these to search, filter, and so on.
  • Activity Feed Improvements. We've significantly improved the New Thread Activity info in the sidebar.
  • Thread Sidebar. The Sidebar now makes it into the thread, where it shows recent replies across the boards, recent profile posts, plus a link to share the thread if you're so inclined.

More to come. Please do let us know what you think! If you haven't seen last week's more minor updates, hit this link for an explanation! Apologies if you experienced any performance issues or crashes during the update.

Do you not like some of these changes? Would you adjust them, or reverse any? We want your feedback, and we'll work on it based on that.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
This is a good improvement for searching threads, now we have to make sure the users use the tag funtion, maybe we could put a restriciton when making threads by tagging them fisrt, before posting.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Hi. The changes are nice, but I'd rather have the "Latest Replies" above the new profile posts. It's because I'm a bit more interested in seeing the latest replies of the threads and it's a bit annoying having to scroll every time I want to.

Also, the PAX timer isn't working for me.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I've switched those two around, as requested. How do y'all feel about stuff showing up in the thread view as well? Would you rather the thread view 'clean'? Let me know your thoughts.

@yeah_93, is the timer working now? Adjusted some of the code.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I've switched those two around, as requested. How do y'all feel about stuff showing up in the thread view as well? Would you rather the thread view 'clean'? Let me know your thoughts.

@yeah_93, is the timer working now? Adjusted some of the code.
The timer is working now, thanks!

Also, I'd prefer if the thread view stayed this way.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
@APZonerunner could you update the timer to March 2016 (FFXV release annoucement) ? After that you would only have to put the release date, with the long gaps you wont have to bother updating it for every single event.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I don't mind changing it more frequently, it's just been a busy week for me with TGS and stuff. While it might not necessarily be a place for much 15 info, I've put it to point to Paris Games Week, where we can generally speaking expect Sony's conference and awesome video game news in general :)

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I've noticed that some newly created threads under the latest replies column don't pop up. They tend to pop up for me when I make a post though.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Hmm... I know what causes this bug; that widget is set up to pull replies, not threads, so a new thread doesn't get listed there until it gets a reply... which isn't ideal. I'll tackle this tomorrow and see what I can do.

Sep 26, 2013
I'm not certain where exactly I should post this, but something like one third of the time that I visit Mognet Central on my Android phone I'm automatically redirected to a site claiming I have a virus or that I've won a free iPhone. Nova Crystallis also seems to do this on a less consistent basis. This issue is exclusive to my mobile device and is isolated to only this site and Nova Crystallis of the sites that I visit. I don't believe this is a problem on my end, but am open to being proven wrong. Is this an intentional ad? It's really been hindering me when it comes to browsing these two otherwise excellent sites.