MEGA SPOILERS! FFXV Story Summary (complete)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
This hardly needs saying, but the following thread will contain massive, truly unimaginable spoilers as it narrates the rough story beats of Final Fantasy XV. I have been through the story, but I may not have all of the fine detail as much of it is hidden away in environmental descriptions, interstitial text, and dialogue in the field (sort of a combination of The Last of Us and Dark Souls within the open world expanse of Witcher 3). So, as if this wasn't clear enough:

Alright. As is well known, the story of the game opens with Noctis and his companions Gladiolus, Ignis and Prompto heading for Altissia. They learn that Niflheim has broken a peace accord, killed Noctis' father Regis, and stolen the Crystal. Said Crystal was a gift from the world's deities, granting prosperity to mankind in the wake of an ancient catastrophe (more on that later). The world is already in a bit of a state, as the nights are gradually growing longer through a supernatural malady called the Starcourge, causing monsters called Daemons (Shigai or something like in Japanese) to run rampant and attack anyone not within the confines of a town or blessed areas called Havens. Note: It is very much advised that you watch both Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, as without it some parts of the story will be utterly incomprehensible.

Anyway, Noctis has to go on a quest to recover Royal Arms from the tombs of previous Lucian kings, prompted by Cor Leonis. He is also prodded along the path by Ardyn, who despite being the Imperial Chancellor is more than willing to aid Noctis in his quest despite its repercussions on Niflheim. Ardyn also guides Noctis to the doorstep of the Archean Titan, one of the Six Astrals, divine beings that protect the world of Eos. Noctis undergoes Titan's trial and is granted his powers. He then learns that Lunafreya had previously visited, waking Titan and persuading him to put Noctis to the test. Lunafreya is key to this: she awakens each Astral and forms a Covenant with them, which acts as an intermediary through which Noctis can access their powers. However, doing this takes a dire tole on Luna's physical health, as she grows weaker during her journey. She continues on the path because she is the Oracle, the hereditary companion to the prophesies True King, foretold to guide him to purge Eos of the Starscourge. Noctis is next guided to the Fulgarian Ramuh with help from "Gentiana", Lunafreya's spirit companion. They also meet others, including the mercenary Aranea Highwind, who is first ordered to accompany them and then gets into a fight when they attack a base. They also meet Ravus, who is by no means impressed by Noctis.

Things come to a head when Noctis and co. come to Altissia, where Lunafreya wakes the Hydrean Leviathan, who is more than annoyed at being awakened by inferior, forgetful humans. She nevertheless accepts Covenant, but the Empire attacks and disrupts the entire ritual. Noctis must face Leviathan alone as the others are aiding in evacuation efforts around the city. Noctis is stunned by Leviathan's attack, and Ardyn appears and stabs Lunafreya, mortally wounding her. She uses the last of her strength to temporarily awaken Noctis' potential as the True King. Noctis defeats Leviathan with the help of Titan, then falls into a coma. In that coma, he meets Lunafreya's spirit, who gives him the Ring of the Lucii that she received in Kingsglaive. Upon waking with the ring, Noctis learns that his companions didn't escape unscathed: though Gladiolus is just scarred, an attack on Ignis has rendered him all but blind. This creates a schism in the group until Ignis snaps at them and forces a reconciliation, particularly between Gladiolus and Noctis.

Taking a train towards Galea, Niflheim's capital, Noctis is tricked by Ardyn into throwing Prompto from the train, which is then attacked by Daemons and saved by Leviathan. Arriving in Tenebrae, they meet Aranea, who has abandoned her former employers. She is helping civilians defend against Daemons, and assigns former Imperial officers Biggs and Wedge to take the train with Noctis and crew on to Galea: they learn from them that the entire capital has been overrun by Daemons, which were forged by taking some kind of dark energy and fusing it with both objects and living things like beasts and people. Noctis also learns more about Lunafreya's actions from others in Altissia, including the fact that Ravus is actually using his position to support her and knows Noctis' role following the Ring's rejection of him. The group travel on, passing through a place where the body of the Glacian Shiva rests. Shiva seemingly attacks them, and Ardyn appears once again to taunt Noctis. Gentiana appears, revealing herself to be Shiva's new form, and incapacitates Ardyn before giving Noctis Lunafreya's trident. Ardyn survives Shiva's assault, revealing himself to be immortal. He then says both Prompto and the Crystal are in Galea, and that only the Crystal's light can purge the Daemon and Starscourge. (Note: This, and the following section in Galea, is more linear than XIII. No, seriously...)

In Galea, Noctis, Gladiolus and Ignis are forced to take the Regalia for the last stretch, which pretty much ruins the car. Noctis' powers are also suppressed by Ardyn, and he is separated from his companions and forced go on alone. Backed into a corner, he finally dons the Ring of the Lucii, and goes through the main Niflheim fortress while being taunted over the intercom by Ardyn. He eventually finds his father's sword, which Ravus had been meaning to give to him - he also finds Ravus with it, dead along with numerous soldiers from a Daemon attack. He reunites with Ignis and Gladiolus, and frees Prompto, who it turns out was born from the same kinds of procedures as the Daemons: he is a 'product' of the empire. They also encounter both Iedolas and Ardyn, now transformed into half-demons by Ardyn. Attacked by Daemons on all sides, Noctis is forced to go on alone. He finds the Crystal and asks it to purge the Daemons, but instead it begins to drag him into it. Ardyn then appears again, and reveals his secret: he, whose real name is Ardyn Lucis Caelum, is the first Lucian king who was called by the Astrals to purge the world of the Daemon malady, but he absorbed them into himself to spare countless lives. But another who was eventually to become the Crystal's chosen, demonized Ardyn and caused him to be cast out (he heavily implies that Noctis' ancestor was the true "Izunia"). The darkness within him, and being hated by the people, drove him insane: he has been pushing to destroy the Caelum line, having Noctis acquire the power so he could face a worthy foe and destroy both the family line and the crystal.

Inside the Crystal, in an astral realm, Noctis is met by the Draconean Bahamut. The realm is where Noctis will gain his power as the True King, his friends will wait and continue fighting until that time, and his fate is to destroy "the immortal Accursed" Ardyn then absorb the Crystal's remaining light into the Ring of the Lucii and "ascend", destroying the Daemons and Starscourge at the cost of his own life. Having gone through this trial, Noctis awakens in one of the tombs near Lucis, having aged with the passing of ten years. Reunited, Noctis, Gladiolus, Ignis and Prompto travel to Insomnia, where Ardyn waits for them. (During this segment, the vocal version of "Somnus" plays, it gets you) Upon reaching the royal palace, Ardyn summons Ifrit the Infernan, an Astral with no love for mankind. Noctis defeats and destroys Ifrit with the help of first Bahamut and then Shiva.

The group confront Ardyn, who immobilizes everyone but Noctis as the coming battle is only for "kings". Noctis and Ardyn have a final titanic duel outside the palace, which ends with Ardyn slain while the Lucii look on from around. He heads inside, while his friends stay outside to keep the Daemons at bay. Noctis ascends to the throne, summons the Lucii and absorbs their power and the Crystal's light into himself and the ring, including Regis. This act kills him, and sends out a burst of light that erases the Daemons from Eos. Now in the netherworld, Noctis and Lunafreya confront and destroy Ardyn's spirit with the Lucii. The Ring fades away. We then see the group's emotional final meeting together prior to the final battle. In the real world, the dawn rises on Eos. (Note: There are no bodies in the courtyard of Insomnia's palace, and given the context of Noctis' final confrontation with Ardyn and how they survived ten years of Daemons, I think Gladiolus, Ignis and Prompto survived to help the world rebuild).

In the very final scene, in a strange dream-like vision (accompanied by the Final Fantasy theme), Luanfreya and Noctis are upon the throne as king and queen. The air is filled with petals and crystal shards. They share a kiss, and go to sleep together. The pair then transform into a new version of the FFXV logo; Luna is the sleeping winged goddess, while Noctis sleeps by her side.

Last edited:

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
Story was very touching, im so dissapointed about Luna, really like her character, but she is barely on the screen for the whole game.

Atleast she became a Goddes of the Dawn in the end. I wonder what prevent them to make some chapters with her in party? But they cut alot from game thats for sure, I don't talk about 2014 trailers, but some scenes even from 2015 were cut.

Game is good, but it would've been one of the greatest game ever if the have more time and didn't cut so much stuff.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Story was very touching, im so dissapointed about Luna, really like her character, but she is barely on the screen for the whole game.

Atleast she became a Goddes of the Dawn in the end. I wonder what prevent them to make some chapters with her in party? But they cut alot from game thats for sure, I don't talk about 2014 trailers, but some scenes even from 2015 were cut.

Game is good, but it would've been one of the greatest game ever if the have more time and didn't cut so much stuff.
Wasent I the one who kept saying this yet some people blocked me over it.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Wasent I the one who kept saying this yet some people blocked me over it.
Difference is you were saying all this before you, or anyone here, even played the game yet.

Coming to these conclusions after having played and finished the game is fine.

One is feeding off of others impressions, the other is based on first hand experience.

Major difference.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
(Note: There are no bodies in the courtyard of Insomnia's palace, and given the context of Noctis' final confrontation with Ardyn and how they survived ten years of Daemons, I think Gladiolus, Ignis and Prompto survived to help the world rebuild).
I'm wondering about this tbh.

Saw the ending again and in the scene where we see Ardyn, Noctis, Luna, and Regis, in the afterlife, the bros suddenly appear there too soon after.

http://i.imgur.com/fM4wi47.png

@SonOfEtro

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I'm wondering about this tbh.

Saw the ending again and in the scene where we see Ardyn, Noctis, Luna, and Regis, in the afterlife, the bros suddenly appear there too soon after.

@SonOfEtro
Considering that Nocis also changed clothing, I was more thinking that it's his own manifestation of them, not them in... spirit. I think that was Lunafreya helping him, and perhaps Regis was there too, but the others were more like... his feelings defying Ardyn's madness.

EDIT: Hehe, that reviewer I watch somewhere was right. The ending is "provoking discussion".

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Considering that Nocis also changed clothing, I was more thinking that it's his own manifestation of them, not them in... spirit. I think that was Lunafreya helping him, and perhaps Regis was there too, but the others were more like... his feelings defying Ardyn's madness.

EDIT: Hehe, that reviewer I watch somewhere was right. The ending is "provoking discussion".
Discussion keeps the game alive so it's all good in that sense xD

Hmm that could be another way of looking at it too.

Either way, can't stop thinking about the ending. What happens to Noctis is sad, however I am curious as to the status of the bros and, if they are alive, what their feelings on the matter would be like. The camping scene being extended a bit would've been nice, but then I'm just greedy for more feels inducing cutscenes lol

Extra ending cutscene later on perhaps? xD

Playing a NG+ save file is gonna be so different now that I know what happens. All those camping and bonding scenes would just make me feel sad knowing what's to come D=

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
The overall narrative for XV is a sound one, unfortunately the game could have used more time and money to build a stronger main scenario. I feel like Gladio, Ignis and Prompto survived. If they were going to kill them I feel like they would have shown it.

I loved seeing the new logo after beating the game. I also feel really bad for Noctis. The camping scene at the end is great and really makes it an enjoyable conclusion to the story. Noctis having many years to come to terms with his future finds resolve only for it to falter upon seeing his friends and knowing he'll never get to see them again.

I'm tearing up again just thinking about this, I feel like despite all my problems with the game, the fact that I still can get emotional over the ending even now shows the impact it had on me.

I look at Final Fantasy XV's story like a classic Final Fantasy story. One about a prophesy and a crystal of light and saving the world. The most important aspect of the game though isn't its main narrative, it's the bond you share with your friends. Where the game might lack on having a complex narrative, it excels in creating these four characters who feel alive. Never before in a Final Fantasy game have I ever felt such a connection to any of the characters.

You can beat the game in 20 hours if you want, but you'll never enjoy it if you do. The time you spend exploring with your friends, taking down packs of enemies, camping under the stars are all part of what makes Final Fantasy XV's story that much stronger. It's not just a story about a Warrior of Light and a Crystal, it's a tale of four friends. The ending will only weigh heavily on you if you take the time to enjoy what the game has to offer when you reflect on the past and all the fun times you have. All the funny moments captures on Prompto's camera or banter shared while exploring the world. Prompto's camera is such an important part of the story that can easily be overlooked. The game simply wouldn't be the same without it. Same goes with the cooking or camping.

I'm looking forward to see how they will add on to this game with future patches. Unfortunately, I don't think the main story will ever be really touched in the way it deserves. I hope by some miracle it does, but regardless, the journey is what matters most.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
The overall narrative for XV is a sound one, unfortunately the game could have used more time and money to build a stronger main scenario. I feel like Gladio, Ignis and Prompto survived. If they were going to kill them I feel like they would have shown it.

I loved seeing the new logo after beating the game. I also feel really bad for Noctis. The camping scene at the end is great and really makes it an enjoyable conclusion to the story. Noctis having many years to come to terms with his future finds resolve only for it to falter upon seeing his friends and knowing he'll never get to see them again.

I'm tearing up again just thinking about this, I feel like despite all my problems with the game, the fact that I still can get emotional over the ending even now shows the impact it had on me.

I look at Final Fantasy XV's story like a classic Final Fantasy story. One about a prophesy and a crystal of light and saving the world. The most important aspect of the game though isn't its main narrative, it's the bond you share with your friends. Where the game might lack on having a complex narrative, it excels in creating these four characters who feel alive. Never before in a Final Fantasy game have I ever felt such a connection to any of the characters.

You can beat the game in 20 hours if you want, but you'll never enjoy it if you do. The time you spend exploring with your friends, taking down packs of enemies, camping under the stars are all part of what makes Final Fantasy XV's story that much stronger. It's not just a story about a Warrior of Light and a Crystal, it's a tale of four friends. The ending will only weigh heavily on you if you take the time to enjoy what the game has to offer when you reflect on the past and all the fun times you have. All the funny moments captures on Prompto's camera or banter shared while exploring the world. Prompto's camera is such an important part of the story that can easily be overlooked. The game simply wouldn't be the same without it. Same goes with the cooking or camping.

I'm looking forward to see how they will add on to this game with future patches. Unfortunately, I don't think the main story will ever be really touched in the way it deserves. I hope by some miracle it does, but regardless, the journey is what matters most.
Ugh just reading your post brought back the feels again =(

Noctis never did have a good life if you think about it. His childhood was made up of him resting from a major injury in a wheelchair, his teen years were lonely with a reluctance to accept his future responsibility, he was merely 20 when he set off and truly "lived" during the first half of the game, fishing, camping, exploring, having fun with friends etc etc.

Guy barely lived at all and died right after he woke up at the age of 30.

Thinking about Noctis and Ignis just make me feel sad tbh.

Also, they kinda did show Gladio, Ignis, and Prompto in the afterlife with Noctis and Regis before he defeated Ardyn.

But it's up to interpretation of course.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
What's interesting to note is that during the drive back to Hammerhead with Talcott after the time skip, he says that the bros rarely met up and did their own thing by going their separate ways.

Thinking about that, and then thinking back to all the happy times they camped and all that at the beginning of the game just adds more to the feels =(

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
My take is that the bros are deadsville. But they left the whole thing in the end up for interpretation. I'm sure by design. Some will probably take that wedding scene as hope that what they did reversed the damage and they all lived happpily ever after, too. I wouldn't take that from anyone.

To me, the story was more about the world and the characters and the open world part does an amazing job making you fall for both, and the second half does an amazing job of making you appreciate them all. That's what leads the ending to be so powerful in the end.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
OH!

And I had an interesting revelation on a touchy subject.

Stella didn't morph into Luna. Stella morphed into Ardyn! There were a few clues of this towards the very end, but it sunk in when you're about to do the final fight with him and he's on the streets of insomnia, summoning a weapon as you're summoning yours, just like in the old clips. And wasn't his grudge because someone killed his oracle from his time or something like that? Wouldn't it make sense if Stella was a descendant/apparition of that oracle that was killed? She could effectively have had both of the roles in one.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
And wasn't his grudge because someone killed his oracle from his time or something like that?
Neat theory, but there isn't anything to back that up as far as I can tell. As explained in the game, he was chosen as the True King, but absorbing the Daemon malady into himself made him unclean in the eyes of the Gods, and as he couldn't ascend he became this immortal, corrupted being. Shunned by the Crystal's new chosen (Noctis' ancestor), he was driven over the edge and decided to exact his revenge upon the gods through destroying the Crystal and the next True King.

It's even hinted that Ardyn wishes to die, as there seems to be some divide between the manner he shows throughout most of the game and his Daemon self, most explicitly portrayed during the final battle(s) between him and Noctis.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Neat theory, but there isn't anything to back that up as far as I can tell. As explained in the game, he was chosen as the True King, but absorbing the Daemon malady into himself made him unclean in the eyes of the Gods, and as he couldn't ascend he became this immortal, corrupted being. Shunned by the Crystal's new chosen (Noctis' ancestor), he was driven over the edge and decided to exact his revenge upon the gods through destroying the Crystal and the next True King.

It's even hinted that Ardyn wishes to die, as there seems to be some divide between the manner he shows throughout most of the game and his Daemon self, most explicitly portrayed during the final battle(s) between him and Noctis.
Before all that. When he's talking about where he got the Izunia part of his name. Didn't he say it was something to do with someone killing off the oracle from his times?

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
There were definitely words about it. I just don't remember them all exactly.
These are Ardyn's words as Noctis is being captured by the Crystal (I assume that's the scene you're referring to):
Ardyn: Unharmed by the light. The Chosen King, indeed. Allow me to regale you with a tale. In an age long past, an incurable scourge ravaged mankind. A tiny menace that twisted men into monsters, the likes of which you've seen. In Lucis lived a savior who could cure the afflicted. His body would come to host myriad demons, that countless lives be spared. But a jealous king, one not yet chosen by the Crystal, ostracized and demonized this healer of the people. Making a true monster of him. I gave you my name earlier, but you should know it was not the name given to me at birth. Ardyn Lucis Caelum is my proper name. You'll never guess whose name Izunai was. Noct, killing you as a mortal would bring me scant satisfaction. Claim the Crystal's power. Arise as its champion. Only once the Crystal and King are no more...can I know redemption. Come back soon. I shall keep your friends company until you are ready.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
These are Ardyn's words as Noctis is being captured by the Crystal (I assume that's the scene you're referring to):
Ardyn: Unharmed by the light. The Chosen King, indeed. Allow me to regale you with a tale. In an age long past, an incurable scourge ravaged mankind. A tiny menace that twisted men into monsters, the likes of which you've seen. In Lucis lived a savior who could cure the afflicted. His body would come to host myriad demons, that countless lives be spared. But a jealous king, one not yet chosen by the Crystal, ostracized and demonized this healer of the people. Making a true monster of him. I gave you my name earlier, but you should know it was not the name given to me at birth. Ardyn Lucis Caelum is my proper name. You'll never guess whose name Izunai was. Noct, killing you as a mortal would bring me scant satisfaction. Claim the Crystal's power. Arise as its champion. Only once the Crystal and King are no more...can I know redemption. Come back soon. I shall keep your friends company until you are ready.
Yep, that's it. I was taking the "ostracized and demonized the healer of his people" as him talking about Luna's counterpart from the past. And I was assuming that person's name was Izunia.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Yep, that's it. I was taking the "ostracized and demonized the healer of his people" as him talking about Luna's counterpart from the past. And I was assuming that person's name was Izunia.
Given the rest of the sentence, I think Ardyn was the "healer", and Izunia in this case was Noctis' ancestor, who would become the Crystal's substitute Chosen.