Motomu Toriyama Discussion and Rumor Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
ok.
But you can't nail it down to one specific thing like the way he's written a certain character or a specific dialogue scene or something else ?

I just have a hard time understanding (not only for Toriyama but people in general) the fandom if I don't know "exactly" what extraordinary this single person has done for a project.
I'm not just a massive Toriyama fan, I'm also a big fan of Kitase, Yuji Abe, Watanabe, Nobuyuki Matsuoka, Isamu Kamikokuryo. Toshiyuki Itahana, Toshitaka Matsuda, Naoki Hamaguchi etc.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
To those who really like Toriyama:
What do you think are his big strengths. What makes the games he has worked on so special for you?

I'm curious because I don't have this kind of sympathy for any developer/director/scnario writer. I like various character designers/design artists like Naora, Yoshida, Nomura and Amano because I can precisely say what I like about their works. But I have a hard time doing the same for someone like Toriyama/Tabata/Itou or even Sakaguchi.
I still have have a hard time trying to find the appeal for Toriyama, though i only have sympathy for him because of FFX. As for his strenght, its still unknown, perhaps his full potential can be seen if he works outside of a FFgame.

As for Tabata, i think his strenght lies in action gameplay and similar to Itou, he is a very gameplay focus type director rather than Story focus like Kitase (though, Tabata is also more closer to story than Itou is but not at the same level as Kitase).

Sakaguchi....his strenght possibly lies in writing and nothing else.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I still have have a hard time trying to find the appeal for Toriyama, though i only have sympathy for him because of FFX. As for his strenght, its still unknown, perhaps his full potential can be seen if he works outside of a FFgame.

As for Tabata, i think his strenght lies in action gameplay and similar to Itou, he is a very gameplay focus type director rather than Story focus like Kitase (though, Tabata is also more closer to story than Itou is but not at the same level as Kitase).

Because people like his games?

And as for his strengths? What got him in the position as a director on some of the biggest games in Square Enix history, events.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
This is full-on mental/ridiculous. The man reinvented the genre, and if not for him FF would probably still look & feel like Dragon Quest. People like Ito (in particular) were instrumental in helping make that vision happen, but Sakaguchi was at the helm for over a decade.

Yause

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 30, 2014
To those who really like Toriyama:
What do you think are his big strengths. What makes the games he has worked on so special for you?

I'm curious because I don't have this kind of sympathy for any developer/director/scnario writer. I like various character designers/design artists like Naora, Yoshida, Nomura and Amano because I can precisely say what I like about their works. But I have a hard time doing the same for someone like Toriyama/Tabata/Itou or even Sakaguchi.
Toriyama's games tend to have a strong air of pathos (reflecting his background as an event designer tasked with manipulating emotion), which is something that a player may or may not like. This isn't the only thing that he writes, but it has been a central focus in FFX, the FFXIII trilogy, and The 3rd Birthday. Alternatively, FFX-2 revolved around making the player laugh, which is different emotional response having central focus.

As for game structure, Toriyama seems to think from a storytelling perspective. Some experiments would be the TV drama/episodic style of FFXIII-2 and The 3rd Birthday and the non-linear mission select approach to FFX-2 (which shifts away from the cohesion of a typical FF narrative in favor of disparate episodes that gradually build toward a whole).

At any rate, Square Enix directors are generally noted for one of two things: their leadership skills/ability to take charge of a staff or their creative vision. If you're struggling to think of what makes a director shine, the former is probably their specialty.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Toriyama's games tend to have a strong air of pathos (reflecting his background as an event designer tasked with manipulating emotion), which is something that a player may or may not like. This isn't the only thing that he writes, but it has been a central focus in FFX, the FFXIII trilogy, and The 3rd Birthday. Alternatively, FFX-2 revolved around making the player laugh, which is different emotional response having central focus.

As for game structure, Toriyama seems to think from a storytelling perspective. Some experiments would be the TV drama/episodic style of FFXIII-2 and The 3rd Birthday and the non-linear mission select approach to FFX-2 (which shifts away from the cohesion of a typical FF narrative in favor of disparate episodes that gradually build toward a whole).

At any rate, Square Enix directors are generally noted for one of two things: their leadership skills/ability to take charge of a staff or their creative vision. If you're struggling to think of what makes a director shine, the former is probably their specialty.
Thanks for your answer.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina

Probably the best explanation.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
This is full-on mental/ridiculous. The man reinvented the genre, and if not for him FF would probably still look & feel like Dragon Quest. People like Ito (in particular) were instrumental in helping make that vision happen, but Sakaguchi was at the helm for over a decade.
I thought I should elaborate a bit on this for @Lumina and others as this response was a bit short at the time, but regarding Sakaguchi:
  • He had the vision to create a RPG in the first place and long before Dragon Quest released and was successful - but it was only after DQ was successful Square greenlit the project. FF could've beat DQ to the punch otherwise. His vision for FF, yes, was more focused on telling a more intricate story
  • Sakaguchi actually put the original team of 7 that made FF together, which shows a hell of a lot of vision in itself - he picked the absolute best 7 possible - including the bold move of putting a non-Japanese (Iranian-American Nasir Gebelli) in charge of programming
  • FF was the first Japanese RPG to include elemental weaknesses with magic and the like - something Sakaguchi suggested, then hashed out alongside Kawazu. Likewise for beginning with class selection, and having more classes than the player could use in one play-through - big concepts at the time.
  • Sakaguchi himself took early ROMs of the game around magazines in Japan to try to drum up interest. Uematsu has described his work ethic as intense and difficult to believe in this regard. When upper management refused to make more than 200,000 copies of FF, Sakaguchi fought them and eventually managed to get that number doubled.
  • Sakaguchi made the decision to make FF2 an all-new game with all-new features. He was the Director of this title. When Nasir Gebelli's visa ran out, Sakaguchi made the bold decision of dragging his core development crew back to the USA so they could continue to work on the game with him.
  • Sakaguchi's from FF3-6 can be summed up as saying any idea that came to pass - ATB, all that. He consistently provided story, but as director he crafted the entire experience.
  • Sakaguchi was the man who ultimately made the decision for FF7 to be a 3D game, and many people - such as Kitase - were on the record as being vehemently against it.
Sakaguchi was undoubtedly a man at his best with story and world, but he did a great many brilliant things and oversaw a great many others. We wouldn't have the works of Kitase, Nomura and the like without him - that's what I'm saying. He's far, far more than a story man.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I thought I should elaborate a bit on this for @Lumina and others as this response was a bit short at the time, but regarding Sakaguchi:
  • He had the vision to create a RPG in the first place and long before Dragon Quest released and was successful - but it was only after DQ was successful Square greenlit the project. FF could've beat DQ to the punch otherwise. His vision for FF, yes, was more focused on telling a more intricate story
  • Sakaguchi actually put the original team of 7 that made FF together, which shows a hell of a lot of vision in itself - he picked the absolute best 7 possible - including the bold move of putting a non-Japanese (Iranian-American Nasir Gebelli) in charge of programming
  • FF was the first Japanese RPG to include elemental weaknesses with magic and the like - something Sakaguchi suggested, then hashed out alongside Kawazu. Likewise for beginning with class selection, and having more classes than the player could use in one play-through - big concepts at the time.
  • Sakaguchi himself took early ROMs of the game around magazines in Japan to try to drum up interest. Uematsu has described his work ethic as intense and difficult to believe in this regard. When upper management refused to make more than 200,000 copies of FF, Sakaguchi fought them and eventually managed to get that number doubled.
  • Sakaguchi made the decision to make FF2 an all-new game with all-new features. He was the Director of this title. When Nasir Gebelli's visa ran out, Sakaguchi made the bold decision of dragging his core development crew back to the USA so they could continue to work on the game with him.
  • Sakaguchi's from FF3-6 can be summed up as saying any idea that came to pass - ATB, all that. He consistently provided story, but as director he crafted the entire experience.
  • Sakaguchi was the man who ultimately made the decision for FF7 to be a 3D game, and many people - such as Kitase - were on the record as being vehemently against it.
Sakaguchi was undoubtedly a man at his best with story and world, but he did a great many brilliant things and oversaw a great many others. We wouldn't have the works of Kitase, Nomura and the like without him - that's what I'm saying. He's far, far more than a story man.
Thanks for the enlightenment

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
In the Final Fantasy XIII Original Sound Selection, Masashi Hamauzu the lead composer of the Lightning Saga revealed when writing FINAL FANTASY XIII - The Promise - that he "incorporated ideas" from the director of the Lightning Saga, Motomu Toriyama. Hamazu further adds "So I feel that Mr Toriyama and I wrote this together."

You can listen to this amazing track below.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I need to hear Hamauzu's work in another FF game.... Or another Musashi game.

What role do you suppose he'd be in if that was so? I just can't find reasons for him to be in the dev team of that game yet.
Maybe assiting in some scenario writing ?
He was an event planner on the original and said he wanted to remake it, would not surprise me if he's event director or something similar.

Hamauzu is the composer for World of Final Fantasy.

Before anyone forgets: Motomu Toriyama is on the Final Fantasy Committee and everyone else on said Committee is helming a AAA Final Fantasy game. And the main purpose of the Committee is to ensure there's no overlaps in releases. Clearly Toriyama is working on another Final Fantasy game, most likely X-3. Oh and he already broke Sakaguchi's record for most Final Fantasy games directed, might as well extend the record!

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
The following key staff are likely to be working on Toriyama's title:

Yoshinori Kitase
Yuji Abe
Nobuyuki Matsuoka
Daisuke Watanabe
Shintaro Takai
Takeshi Iwabuchi

I have no idea what's going with these two though.

Yusuke Matsui
Yoshiki Kashitani

Yause

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 30, 2014
Kashitani left the game industry after FFXIII-2. As with many former game programmers, he's involved with broader IT services now (web development, marketing analytics, etc.) - I think Square Enix is actually one of his clients, so there's a continuing relationship in a different direction.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I'll admit, I don't understand how people seem to hate FF13, and with passion. Or to hate any video game that way. There are games I dislike or don't enjoy, but to 'hate' a game as if it killed your family? As some act, People do to much lol..

For me, when I play a game I do see flaws like anyone, but I also see the positives, and highlighting those any game can become a pleasing experience for me, I often do this for series I know I enjoy. This is especially true for Final Fantasy. Not including mobile, there is NOT ONE Final Fantasy I played that I dislike, and I'm happy to have it that way. It feels so much fun to be a fan of series and can happily talk about each game happily, to play each game and smile.

Final Fantasy XIII was a beautiful experience to me, and I may very well have it in my top 5 FF's of all time. I do not like the Auto Battle (but I set it to not select that in the start of battle), and the ability to not return to many places is sad, I wish towns played a bigger roles, especially since I love futuristic. But the story makes sense you cannot explore towns. I simply love the art direction, it is one of the most beautiful games of it's gen, the characters are so diverse and varied, I enjoy seeing how each interact with each other. The battles are fast and intense, in just a matter of second the tide of battle can change. The music is just beautiful, truly a masterpiece with many memorable tracks.

I enjoy all Final Fantasy, but FF13 is surely higher on the list of enjoyment. Definitely in my top 5, also FYI FF7 takes the the top space for me. ;)

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Kashitani left the game industry after FFXIII-2. As with many former game programmers, he's involved with broader IT services now (web development, marketing analytics, etc.) - I think Square Enix is actually one of his clients, so there's a continuing relationship in a different direction.
Well that explains things, he had such a big role in XIII and XIII-2 it was shocking to see him just special thanks for LR.

Do you know about Yusuke Matsui? He also had a big role on XIII and XIII-2 and was just special thanks for LR.

I'll admit, I don't understand how people seem to hate FF13, and with passion. Or to hate any video game that way. There are games I dislike or don't enjoy, but to 'hate' a game as if it killed your family? As some act, People do to much lol..

For me, when I play a game I do see flaws like anyone, but I also see the positives, and highlighting those any game can become a pleasing experience for me, I often do this for series I know I enjoy. This is especially true for Final Fantasy. Not including mobile, there is NOT ONE Final Fantasy I played that I dislike, and I'm happy to have it that way. It feels so much fun to be a fan of series and can happily talk about each game happily, to play each game and smile.

Final Fantasy XIII was a beautiful experience to me, and I may very well have it in my top 5 FF's of all time. I do not like the Auto Battle (but I set it to not select that in the start of battle), and the ability to not return to many places is sad, I wish towns played a bigger roles, especially since I love futuristic. But the story makes sense you cannot explore towns. I simply love the art direction, it is one of the most beautiful games of it's gen, the characters are so diverse and varied, I enjoy seeing how each interact with each other. The battles are fast and intense, in just a matter of second the tide of battle can change. The music is just beautiful, truly a masterpiece with many memorable tracks.

I enjoy all Final Fantasy, but FF13 is surely higher on the list of enjoyment. Definitely in my top 5, also FYI FF7 takes the the top space for me. ;)
^This

And how people hate Toriyama so much even though most of the issues aren't even his fault. Like in regards to towns, XIII was plagued with development issues. Toriyama even tried to get some DLC available but they couldn't get that done either.