Motomu Toriyama Discussion and Rumor Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
And how people hate Toriyama so much even though most of the issues aren't even his fault. Like in regards to towns, XIII was plagued with development issues. Toriyama even tried to get some DLC available but they couldn't get that done either.
Well, FFXIII did have development issues, like so many games do, but I'm curious to know what most of those issues are in FFXIII that he shouldn't be blamed for?

Also, were those issues in FFXIII addressed in FFXIII-2 and LR:FFXIII? If so, did people still complain about them? Finally, are these issues present in other titles he has worked on?

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Well, FFXIII did have development issues, like so many games do, but I'm curious to know what most of those issues are in FFXIII that he shouldn't be blamed for?

Also, were those issues in FFXIII addressed in FFXIII-2 and LR:FFXIII? If so, did people still complain about them? Finally, are these issues present in other titles he has worked on?
Well for one, it being linear was Kitase's idea.

Yes, definitely. As Crystal Power brought up, towns. Plenty of those in XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. Linear? How about a player-drive experience and an open-world game.

Hes probably making XVI if Ito isnt makng it.
I'd love that but why would they announce XVI in 2015?

Sep 26, 2013
Well for one, it being linear was Kitase's idea.
An idea that has so many other factors involved with it.

There is nothing wrong with linearity as long as it is disguised well and doesn’t distract the player from the over all experience. Covering things up is part of what being a good game designer is all about. Many great games out there are linear. Pretty much all the mainline Final Fantasy games, except for the MMO’s, are linear.

The issue with FFXIII's linearity are multiple things that all work together and have a direct effect on each other.

Tube like structure, game is devoid of content, can't revisit many areas, nothing to break up the repetition (another thing that needs to be disguised so that it doesn't distract the player), no sense of discovery and exploration, feeling like an observer on the sidelines instead of an actual participant, being pushed forward in a way that kills that sense of freedom...

These things help make FFXIII’s linearity stick out like a sore thumb.

Unless there is something specific Kitase did, his idea for the game to be linear isn't really the problem. It's Toriyama as a game designer and his inability to get everything working together in perfect unison.

Yes, definitely. As Crystal Power brought up, towns. Plenty of those in XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. Linear? How about a player-drive experience and an open-world game.
You're just giving me a list of things that doesn't really tell me anything about the specifics and execution.

You might as well just say people want towns and a open-world for no reason at all.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
An idea that has so many other factors involved with it.

There is nothing wrong with linearity as long as it is disguised well and doesn’t distract the player from the over all experience. Covering things up is part of what being a good game designer is all about. Many great games out there are linear. Pretty much all the mainline Final Fantasy games, except for the MMO’s, are linear.

The issue with FFXIII's linearity are multiple things that all work together and have a direct effect on each other.

Tube like structure, game is devoid of content, can't revisit many areas, nothing to break up the repetition (another thing that needs to be disguised so that it doesn't distract the player), no sense of discovery and exploration, feeling like an observer on the sidelines instead of an actual participant, being pushed forward in a way that kills that sense of freedom...

These things help make FFXIII’s linearity stick out like a sore thumb.

Unless there is something specific Kitase did, his idea for the game to be linear isn't really the problem. It's Toriyama as a game designer and his inability to get everything working together in perfect unison.

You're just giving me a list of things that doesn't really tell me anything about the specifics and execution.

You might as well just say people want towns and a open-world for no reason at all.
Kitase wanted an interactive movie. This is fact. He wanted this since FFX.

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013
FF13-1 was pretty good unlike the 2 other idiot sequel... especialy lightning return...
I like cocoon that was the best place in ff13 trilogy its to bad it was linear...
I saw the original plans for ff13, when the game was in progress.. exclusive ps3 title was that would be great if that version would released.. the game would be much better it would contain more falcieth.. like ramuh,diablos etc...it would have better graphics.. I don't know what happened back then but I bet somehow xbox360 system is one of the reason why the game was so downgraded, with both gameplay and graphics..xbox360 version already was 3 double-layer disc, and maybe the release date is the other reason.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Kitase wanted an interactive movie. This is fact. He wanted this since FFX.
I can't help to think this might be taken out of context. You have a direct quote and article link on hand?
Well, and regardless, such "interactive movie" was still poorly execute in the context of linearity. FFX was also a rather linear itself, but Kitase himself did a great job giving it the illusion of exploring and maps that aren't all that straight corridor. We can't credit all things that are good about FFXIII to Toriyama and then give all poor choices and decisions to someone else. Beside, if a director realized that the linearity was a problem but couldn't convince the team otherwise, from a project management stand point, I will consider that director to be weak.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Well, and regardless, such "interactive movie" was still poorly execute in the context of linearity. FFX was also a rather linear itself, but Kitase himself did a great job giving it the illusion of exploring and maps that aren't all that straight corridor. We can't credit all things that are good about FFXIII to Toriyama and then give all poor choices and decisions to someone else. Beside, if a director realized that the linearity was a problem but couldn't convince the team otherwise, from a project management stand point, I will consider that director to be weak.
Toriyama is an amazing project manager. Me managed to release 3 AAA PS3/360 games and a pair of DS games between 2007 & 2013 in addition to supervising X/X-2 HD, writing Front Mission Evolved, directing The 3rd Birthday's scenario, directing a pair of WiiWare title's scenarios and supervising Dissidia's scenario.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Toriyama is an amazing project manager. Me managed to release 3 AAA PS3/360 games and a pair of DS games between 2007 & 2013 in addition to supervising X/X-2 HD, writing Front Mission Evolved, directing The 3rd Birthday's scenario, directing a pair of WiiWare title's scenarios and supervising Dissidia's scenario.
That still doesn't make him immune from making or allowing bad decisions to happen. The man is talented, at least in general, and most people wouldn't deny that, but poor decisions and execution was made in FFXIII. The reasons why it's important to a lot of people is, because of this game, the game that he directed, was one of the least well received flagship Final Fantasy (numbered and not a sequel) in the series. Arguably divided the fanbase.

Like I said earlier, you can't only give credits to Toriyama for all the good things that he does and ignore the rest not so glory moments.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
That still doesn't make him immune from making or allowing bad decisions to happen. The man is talented, at least in general, and most people wouldn't deny that, but poor decisions and execution was made in FFXIII. The reasons why it's important to a lot of people is, because of this game, the game that he directed, was one of the least well received flagship Final Fantasy (numbered and not a sequel) in the series. Arguably divided the fanbase.

Like I said earlier, you can't only give credits to Toriyama for all the good things that he does and ignore the rest not so glory moments.
I'm not going to, I simply stated XIII being an interactive movie was originally Kitase's idea. It was an idea he had during X's development and ultimately he himself said XIII was more a FPS than RPG and Kitase's a big FPS fan.

XIII's development was plagued with issues. Toriyama and co. have been very open about this and following this Toriyama spoke to Eidos about how they develop games and they also decided to no longer do large scale development by themselves, hence tri-Ace for XIII-2 and LR and HexaDrive for XV.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Motomu Toriyama confirmed he is working hard on a new project that will be announced this year. With E3 and Gamescom past we have yet to see Toriyama or any of the core Lightning Returns team with the exception of Yoshinori Kitase who is producing FFVII Remake and Isamu Kamikokuryo who could work on Toriyama's project once his work on XV is finished. I have ordered the possible titles in order of how likely they're with some facts to support each one.

Final Fantasy X-3
  • Kazushige Nojima's infamous novella X-2.5 - bit odd to have a 2.5 without a 3.
  • Nojima's audio drama that follows X-2.5 - opens up even more possibilities
  • Nojima admitting he would like to see a X-3
  • X/X-2 HD's amazing sales. - 1.5 million copies sold by September 2014. Over 500,000 in Japan alone.
  • X & X/X-2 HD's recent awards
  • Square Enix's quick PlayStation 4 port of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster that still includes the audio drama.
  • Toriyama being on the Final Fantasy Committee, a small committee that includes only people helming AAA Final Fantasy games.
  • Shintaro Takai, art director of the Final Fantasy X series including X/X-2 HD and Daisuke Watanabe (scenario writer on X & X-2) are both without their names attached to any announced projects.
  • Verendus from NeoGAF, who knew about VII Remake, World of Final Fantasy and Nier New Project before their announcement believes a X spin-off is in development
  • ff-reunion.net, who reported about the Committee first, thinks Toriyama is making X-3.
  • What appears to be Auron spotted in Final Fantasy VII Remake trailer.
Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Toriyama said in 2010 he'd really like to remake VII.
  • He was an event planner on the original game making famous scenes like cross-dressing Cloud, his work here set up his career.
  • The game has a special place in Toriyama's heart. He and Kitase had personal discussions about remaking VII in the past.
  • Toriyama was the developer of the FFVII Tech Demo for PS3.
  • Toriyama's "personal favourite moment from the series is the opening scene of FFVII"
  • Tetsuya Nomura has a co-director on all of his projects. The most experienced AAA HD director in the company who also worked on the original game would be a pretty good choice.
  • If he isn't the game's co-director he could also easily be the event director, a role he has been amazing with.
New Front Mission
New Parasite Eve
  • Scenario director on The 3rd Birthday
  • Verendus from NeoGAF, who knew about VII Remake, World of Final Fantasy and Nier New Project before their announcement says a new Parasite Eve is in development.
  • Protagonist of the Parasite Eve franchise featured on a poster in the FFVII Remake trailer.
New Final Fantasy spin-off
  • Toriyama being on the Final Fantasy Committee, a small committee that includes only people helming AAA Final Fantasy games. He is almost certain to be working on at least one Final Fantasy title in some capacity.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I'm dying for another Parasite Eve game.
Also, I'm slowly beginning to think maybe Toriyama could be involved in the FFVIIR project. It's only a matter of time when we'll be able to hear more of it.

I can't expect a FFX-3 so soon but stacking evidence may suggest in the later years should they wish to green-light it.
I'd be surprised if he isn't. Going by what's above and the fact you've even got Nomura confirming cross-dressing Cloud is back so soon. Haha.

My personal hope is that he is event director on VII Remake. Since that's the natural next step from event planner and we all know what happened when he was event director on FFX.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Motomu Toriyama made the "Cloud showing off" pose

Motomu Toriyama, the event planner incharge of a lot of the early game events revolving around Cloud & Aerth's romance including cross-dressing Cloud made the "Cloud showing off" pose, which was made to be be used in the scene where Cloud first appears in the game. This little animation impressed Kazushige Nojima, the game's scenario writer and lead to him determining Cloud's false persona based on that pose. Thanks to FF Wikia.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
An anonymous user on http://v4chan.com/ claims a new Parasite Eve game directed by Motomu Toriyama will be announced at Tokyo Game Show 2015.

While this source isn't something to get excited about it's far from the first time we've had talk of a new Parasite Eve.

Square Enix said in their fiscal report that they're rebooting old IPs and Aya Brea made a cameo in the Final Fantasy VII Remake trailer. Additionally, Verendus from NeoGAF said a new Parasite Eve is in development.

Motomu Toriyama was of course the scenario director on The 3rd Birthday. Yoshinori Kitase was also producer of The 3rd Birthday, and Toriyama confirmed he's in Kitase's division.

Alex has said here he believes Toriyama's making a new Parasite Eve. Alex is also right about a lot of things, correctly guessing Star Ocean 5 was coming.

Last edited: