Motomu Toriyama Discussion and Rumor Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
He's also been banned before and been proven wrong. Where's that HD Dragon Quest collection? I also find it hard to believe there's really a FFVI remake, FFVII spin-off, FFX spin-off and Parasite Eve all in development in addition to everything announced plus XVI and Front Mission. Not to mention, Nomura's recent comments included remaking both V & VI and even then didn't sound like they were something that would be occurring any time soon. Sounds like to me he lists everything people on NeoGAF want. He gets some things right, yes but he is also wrong half the time.
A broken clock is right two times a day, as they say.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
I've never believed anything that guy has said. Personally, I don't like NeoGAF, it seems like a group of people who pretend to be important for having insider information and teasing it around like some PR marketer or something.
I'm ambivalent to NeoGAF. On one hand, it's a great source of video game news, but on the other hand, there's the elitist attitude of many users, which you have mentioned. That's what put me off investing in that community. I have an account, but I barely post with it.

But not permanently banned. What people don’t seem to understand about rumors is that things change. What maybe the case one day may not be the next. That’s the risk for talking about things too early. That’s why you always take rumors with a grain of salt.
I have been keeping track of all Final Fantasy rumors from Verendus ever since before E3 2013. The man is mostly wrong regarding Final Fantasy information. Things I remember that he got wrong:
  • In a NeoGAF post in January 2013, he said that VersusXIII would be revealed as FFXV at E3 2013 and definitely release in 2014. If this didn't happen, he said he could have his account deleted. Yes, VersusXIII was revealed as FFXV at E3. However, his release date was way off. Tabata has since said at TGS 2014, when he took over the project in July 2012, the release year was immediately set by management. At gamescom 2015, he revealed that this release year was 2016. The game was never, not once, planned to release in 2014. Verendus was wrong.
  • In the same NeoGAF post in January 2013, Verendus said FFXV would be an exclusive. When the game was revealed at E3 2013, it was announced for both PS4 and Xbox One. Tabata has also since said that a Steam release may happen in future, just like with FFXIII and Type-0 HD. Verendus was wrong.
  • Sometime in 2013, he said that FFVII Remake was decided upon in 2013, but no work on it would begin until after FFXVI releases, not FFXV. When FFVII Remake was announced at E3 2015, Nomura said the project was decided upon in 2014, sometime after LR FFXIII released in NA/EU. Nomura added that the game is already past pre-production, meaning they're not waiting for FFXV to release before ramping up, yet alone FFXVI to release. Verendus was wrong.
  • In a NeoGAF post in December 2014, he said the FFVII Remake was still in the early planning stages and development wouldn't begin in full until Nomura is finished with KHIII. Nomura said at E3 2015 that FFVII Remake was already past pre-production, even despite KHIII not being released yet. Verendus was wrong.
  • In the same NeoGAF post in December 2014, he said FFXV and KHIII need to be released before anything substantial can be done with the FFVII Remake. Nomura said at E3 2015 that the game was already past pre-production, even despite both FFXV and KHIII not being released yet. Verendus was wrong.
That's just some of the FF related stuff off the top of my head. As you can see, he's clearly bogus. I have no idea how right or wrong he is in areas outside of Final Fantasy, as I don't pay attention to those posts, but with regards to FF, he's way off. The man is far more wrong than right.

A broken clock is right two times a day, as they say.
That's how I would define Verendus. People on NeoGAF are just desperate for leaked news, so they easily fall for an alleged insider.

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
As many people are aware, I am a massive Motomu Toriyama & Yoshinori Kitase fan. After listening to the audio drama included in Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster in April 2014 I believed an exciting return to Spira was inevitable following that and the X-2.5 novella. While I still believe there's a good chance of it occurring one day as a game or movie I do not believe it was the project Motomu Toriyama stated he was hard at work on in December 2014. And there are various reasons for this.

Motomu Toriyama said "I am currently working hard on the next project.

We will be able to announce it in 2015, so please look forward to that!"

Never once does he say he's actually directing the project, just that he's "currently working hard on the next project". And the choice of words "next project" make it sound like it's awhile away. Additionally, FFVII Remake is the only AAA title announced by Square Enix so far in 2015 not to have its core team announced.

His massive impact on the original game.

Toriyama was responsible for some of the most famous parts in FFVII. The intro? Yep. Honey Bee Inn? Yep. Cross-dressing Cloud? Yep. The romance between Cloud & Aerith? Yep. Cloud's showing off pose? Yep. The Submarine Chase Section? Also correct. His work here set up his career and made Yoshinori Kitase assign him as event director on Final Fantasy X and one of the game's four scenario writers and later in development promoting him to one of the game's directors when Kitase stepped up to producer.

That Tech Demo.

Motomu Toriyama was the developer of the Final Fantasy VII for PS3 Tech Demo shown at E3 2005.

The game holds a special place in his heart.

Motomu Toriyama & Yoshinori Kitase talked about an FFVII remake on a personal level before it happened.

In 2010, Toriyama famously and excitedly responded to Siliconera about which Final Fantasy game he'd want to remake the most.

"[Laughs.] That would be Final Fantasy VII!

If we had the manpower and the time to work on a project, if we were to remake Final Fantasy VII with the quality of Final Fantasy XIII it would become a tremendous project. If we can get the number of people we need by all means that would be the one I would really want to remake."

Toriyama seemed to disagree with then-Square Enix president Yochi Wada's comments about not remaking VII until they had made a game that exceeded VII's quality.

As a creator, there’s a bit in there that I can’t agree with.

Final Fantasy VII Remake began development in early 2014 after the Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII team returned from overseas promotion and break. Shinji Hashimoto revealed in December 2014 that members of the Lightning Returns team were moved onto Final Fantasy XV & Final Fantasy XIV, Motomu Toriyama was not among them.

Motomu Toriyama revealed he is in Business Division 1 in an interview with Famitsu shortly before FFVII Remake begun development. Mobius Final Fantasy & Final Fantasy VII Remake both began development in early 2014. It seems unlikely they'd want to start development of another project when they have two projects already in development and neither about to release, and additionally, the amount of staff in Business Division 1 does not appear to be that much.

His most likely role appears to be Event Director, his original main role on Final Fantasy X and the next step up from his main role on the original Final Fantasy VII. Other possible roles include other cutscene/scenario-related roles such as assisting with the scenario and possibly co-director since Tetsuya Nomura usually has a co-director and Motomu Toriyama is the most experienced AAA director at Square Enix.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Motomu Toriyama is definitely in Square Enix's #1 division

In an interview with Famitsu following the release of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII in Japan, Motomu Toriyama confirmed he is in Yoshinori Kitase's division known as Business Division 1. While this has been reported before, I had to make sure and goldpanner has kindly done so. You can read it below.

Famitsu mentions Toriyama and Kitase are in the same division. They ask what sort of titles will be coming. Toriyama says that he, Kitase, Sawada and Nishi will all be in the first business division, and the question of what to do next is exactly the current topic. Kitase mentions that as LRFFXIII has just finished they are in the middle of talks about what to do in the future. Famitsu asks Kitase and Toriyama whether the two of them being together must point to another FF? But Kitase says nothing has been decided yet (with a dry laugh). Famitsu wonders whether there isn't a new Bahamut Lagoon title in the cards, but Toriyama says that if they make a new title then they want ideas from younger people. He is jealous of the freshness of the younger people these days.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
That Parasite Eve rumour is back.

Spanish gaming website MeriStation.com has stated in their "Rumours, Possibilities, Speculations" feature for Tokyo Game Show 2015 that according to "extra-official sources" Motomu Toriyama, the director of the most Final Fantasy games ever might be working on a new Parasite Eve game. You can read their full statement below, translated into English by KH13's Oli.

Another possibility listed to the mysterious Motomu Toriyama project, creator of Final Fantasy XIII -and his beloved Lightning-, is that he could he working on a new Parasite Eve according to extra-official sources. We'll know more during this week or in Sony's upcoming conference this Tuesday 15.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Was he a Director at the start of the project? No, Kitase was. He was originally Event Director & a Scenario Writer. But when Kitase was promoted to Producer he chose Motomu Toriyama as his successor.

Not enough for ya?

And I don't see any difference with the credits for XII. So if you want to argue he's not a Director for X then I guess Hiroshi Minagawa isn't one for XII.

And even XV now, Hajime Tabata will only end up as Director for half the project's development but he's still credited as Director.

Even Meagan Marie, Senior Community Manager at Crystal Dynamics referred to him as Director of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster at E3 2013 in the presence of Kitase.

So no matter what the haters want he's one of 3 directors for the second highest selling game in Square Enix history that recently got its very own PlayStation 4 bundle in China. And clearly, he's the only one that's continued to be successful with the Front Mission creator out of the company half a decade ago and the other one likely also gone and is also the Director of Dirge of Cerberus.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Why did you make this thread? Who disputes this? Why should we care about this?

Also, Tabata will be credited as the sole director for XV given that he's the only person who will have directed it. Nomura will be credited as the original story and design work as Tabata mentioned previously.

Call people Toriyama haters all you want, people will still have opinions on the guy whether you Toriyama lovers like it or not.

You should have just shoved this in the Toriyama thread as well given that this doesn't really deserve it's own thread given that it's just information everyone already knew or didn't care about.

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Why did you make this thread? Who disputes this? Why should we care about this?

Also, Tabata will be credited as the sole director for XV given that he's the only person who will have directed it. Nomura will be credited as the original story and design work as Tabata mentioned previously.

Call people Toriyama haters all you want, people will still have opinions on the guy whether you Toriyama lovers like it or not.

You should have just shoved this in the Toriyama thread as well given that this doesn't really deserve it's own thread given that it's just information everyone already knew or didn't care about.
Because I felt like it. Erren & Wikipedia for example. I'm not saying you should.

Oh so you admit to being a Toriyama hater. Well proof of my topic here, you should in kind hate X then.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
No, I don't hate people I don't know because that would be stupid... I don't hate FFX either, I actually like FFX quite a lot.
Well I apologize then. Upon initial reading of your post I misunderstood.

The sole purpose of this post was because there are a lot of people, usually people who dislike him or hate him like to argue he was not a director on the project. Wikipedia literally has someone who bans people and their IPs who make edits to it.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Wikipedia literally has someone who bans people and their IPs who make edits to it.
Reminds me of someone else I know... My intention was just in confusion for the thread, but no, I do not hate Toriyama. I know you are a big fan of his, I'm not at all trying to stir anything up against you with my response, it was more of me questioning the same in return. I see what you were intending though. If there is anyone on the forums who thinks this way against Toriyama being the director of X, hopefully they will see the truth now.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Motomu Toriyama might have sold the most games ever in the history of Square Enix by a director.

The Final Fantasy X series sold over 14 million copies worldwide on PlayStation 2.
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings has sold over 1.04 million copies worldwide.
The Final Fantasy XIII series has sold over 11 million copies worldwide on PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360.

This alone is enough to place Toriyama with over 26.04 million however he's games have continued to sell through re-releases. Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2 have sold quite well on Windows PC with XIII close to half a million copies sold and XIII-2 about 1/4 of a million according to SteamSpy. Numbers are obviously unknown for iOS & Android. While Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster exceeded Square Enix's expectations selling over 500,000 copies in Japan in less than a year and getting itself a PlayStation 4 bundle in China after becoming a best seller.

Nora_Nightingale

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 7, 2015
Honestly, Toriyama has some flaws.

Most importantly, when he started FF13, he was on his high horse. He did not even respond to criticism to any of it. And if there is major criticism for a game that just started in the HD era, you know its worst than what the reviewers are saying.

Personally, i have not played a single game where i absolutely loved about his direction. In fact, although i enjoy Final Fantasy X, it always felt to me divided. Like the world was saying one thing, the story was saying another.

I honestly think that if Motomu Toriyama should be perceived as a "competent" director, i think he needs his own spin-off series with new ideas that can actually work. I think it was far too early to put him in the reigns of a flagship title. Especially as director.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Honestly, Toriyama has some flaws.

Most importantly, when he started FF13, he was on his high horse. He did not even respond to criticism to any of it. And if there is major criticism for a game that just started in the HD era, you know its worst than what the reviewers are saying.

Personally, i have not played a single game where i absolutely loved about his direction. In fact, although i enjoy Final Fantasy X, it always felt to me divided. Like the world was saying one thing, the story was saying another.

I honestly think that if Motomu Toriyama should be perceived as a "competent" director, i think he needs his own spin-off series with new ideas that can actually work. I think it was far too early to put him in the reigns of a flagship title. Especially as director.
The entire company was on its high horse for FFXIII and FFXIV. Some of Wada's comments were quite amusing.

XIII-2 and LR addressed all criticisms.

It's only worse than what the reviewers are saying in your opinion. Japan loves the XIII series.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I just want to say I think it's quite silly a thread about rumors ONLY pertaining to a single game director is being allowed to remain intact. If anything, a general FF rumor thread would suffice. Rumors can be posted freely and discussed at length. On the other end, the bias of certain members is not being enabled or encouraged which should lead to less unpleasantness and petty squabbles. My thoughts on the matter. Take them as you will.

Nora_Nightingale

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 7, 2015
The entire company was on its high horse for FFXIII and FFXIV. Some of Wada's comments were quite amusing.

XIII-2 and LR addressed all criticisms.

It's only worse than what the reviewers are saying in your opinion. Japan loves the XIII series.
I actually know Japanese FF fans ho criticize 13 more for story than anything else. Granted I criticize the game play and story.

XIII-2 was actually all the assets not used in Ff13. So it's more or less the final form of the game. However, lightning returns was made because the y wanted to expirement new ideas. They weren't even trying to make a good ff13 game. Ironically in terms of game play it was better. However story? Can we honestly say they knew what they we're doing?

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I actually know Japanese FF fans ho criticize 13 more for story than anything else. Granted I criticize the game play and story.

XIII-2 was actually all the assets not used in Ff13. So it's more or less the final form of the game. However, lightning returns was made because the y wanted to expirement new ideas. They weren't even trying to make a good ff13 game. Ironically in terms of game play it was better. However story? Can we honestly say they knew what they we're doing?
And you still see the Japanese cosplaying as Lightning and co. in Japan all the time and the games were very well received in Japan critically and sales wise.

No, they re-used assets and made new stuff. They made Lightning Returns to bring an end to Lightning's story.

Nora_Nightingale

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 7, 2015
One
And you still see the Japanese cosplaying as Lightning and co. in Japan all the time and the games were very well received in Japan critically and sales wise.

No, they re-used assets and made new stuff. They made Lightning Returns to bring an end to Lightning's story.
of the worst games tend to be critically acclaimed. This was around the era of reviews being bought. And this is something that both Japanese and western players we're saying at the time. People display as Lightning even now in western conventions, and they still admit the faults to the character.

Still....I don't trust Motomu Toriyama for a flagship title anymore. I think he needs a spin off of his own.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
And you still see the Japanese cosplaying as Lightning and co. in Japan all the time
People cosplay characters that were created many years ago all the time. People cosplay their favorite characters all the time.

and the games were very well received in Japan critically and sales wise.
There was a big sales drop from FFXIII to FFXIII-2 and from FFXIII-2 to LR:FFXIII in Japan...