Opinions on Square-Enix creating a multimedia "Universe" for every new FF (pre and post-launch)?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
At Uncovered: Final Fantasy XV Square-Enix revealed to the world the Final Fantasy XV Universe.

A sub-franchise within the FF series that´s centered around FFXV. This sub franchise is composed a demo, a CGI movie, an anime OVA series, 2 mobile games (soon to be 3) with future DLCs centered around certain characters.

This is not the first time that Square-Enix makes a sub-franchise out of one game in the flagship series, the FFVII Compilation was the presedence to this but this multimedia universe was only born years after the original game launched.

What are your thoughts regarding Square-Enix making a multimedia "Universe" out of future installments (be it before the game releases or after it does)?

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Keep it all in one game, it will create a better game instead of moving story to other things and cutting things. The mobile games and DLC's are fine if handled well.(IE the DLC's not being cut content from the game)

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
I'd prefer they expand the methos and lore after the games are out. And for the media outside the game to feel like something that adds some depth and flavour to the established 'universe' without it feeling like it's been cut out from the original game.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Depends on if the game really needs it. I think Final Fantasy does better when it's left to one game at a time and perhaps coming back to familiar lands for certain games like with Ivalice.

The only reason XV has it is because of the state of that game.

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
Depends on if the game really needs it. I think Final Fantasy does better when it's left to one game at a time and perhaps coming back to familiar lands for certain games like with Ivalice.

The only reason XV has it is because of the state of that game.
This is my thoughts too.

Also, SE had to try their best to exceed expectations with this game / story, and this is one way of doing it. Going forward, I don't think it's something that should be done again.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
i enjoyed kingsglave but id rather have the events unfold in the game; brotherhood i think it was a great addition without "taking" anything from the experience.

dunno, i think it's nice to do this compilations from time to time just to shake things up.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I'd prefer to keep it within a single game. Multimedia projects can easily become messy, especially if it's difficult to access all parts of it. I don't want every future FF to turn into a Halo situation. The latter has become a story where you need twelve novels, three separate lines of comics, a web series or two, a live action extravaganza, an anime, and the game followed by several large DLC episodes to understand what the heck is going on.

SilverGlyph

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 27, 2016
Yeah, I'm not for it either. I want to experience the lore by playing the game, not passively watching (in the case of the movies and anime). Spin-off games, I don't mind as much.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
One of my biggest hopes is that they'll do a prologue story and adapt some of the brotherhood and or Kingsglaive stuff, perhaps through the DLC in the form of flashbacks? God, brotherhood though makes me wish Insomnia was at least partially exploreable, it looks amazing.
But yea, I'd rather have a complete story within a game than have multimedia projects. If they would sell a 2-3 hour version of the Insomnia invasion from Kingsglaive allowing you to play Nyx, i'd pay whatever price they'd want.