Scalebound [PlatinumGames, Action-RPG, Non-linear, XBox One]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I'm really tired of developers showing too early versions of their games (cough cough FFXV cough). Pre-alpha? Seriously? It's just very misleading and makes it hard to tell if it's a game I'd be interested in. The combat looks weak and it's unclear whether it's just unfinished or by design. Not to mention horrible framerate.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I'm really tired of developers showing too early versions of their games (cough cough FFXV cough). Pre-alpha? Seriously? It's just very misleading and makes it hard to tell if it's a game I'd be interested in. The combat looks weak and it's unclear whether it's just unfinished or by design. Not to mention horrible framerate.
If they hadn't put Pre-alpha on the screen we wouldn't have known this was early build.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I saw this today with a personal demo live gameplay demo from Kamiya himself (dev playing, he and I watching, him explaining) and I will have more thoughts later on RPG Site, but I just wanted to take a second and say that while I thought the conference footage looked so-so, the extended stuff they showed me, including detailed menu-trawling and a tour of some of the RPG mechanics, blew me away. This is the most invigorating and exciting JRPG I've seen in years.

The back end of 2016 is going to be rammed. This, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect, FF15. Wow. Not sure there's enough room!

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I saw this today with a personal demo live gameplay demo from Kamiya himself (dev playing, he and I watching, him explaining) and I will have more thoughts later on RPG Site, but I just wanted to take a second and say that while I thought the conference footage looked so-so, the extended stuff they showed me, including detailed menu-trawling and a tour of some of the RPG mechanics, blew me away. This is the most invigorating and exciting JRPG I've seen in years.

The back end of 2016 is going to be rammed. This, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect, FF15. Wow. Not sure there's enough room!
Any news on if they will upload something from that extended stuff ?

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Not any time soon, I don't think. I'll have a detailed write-up, anyway. Its combat seems so accomplished and its customization very open, if it goes as far as they claim. Much more so than 15 appears to be doing, actually...

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Aside from the 4 players mode (seens interesting), the link between the link between Drew and Thuban is the most interesting mechanique so far, it has a big potential for both gameplay and narrative purpose, we will have to wait and see if Kamiya-san uses it well.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
@Lumina While they've not shown it to the public - I recommend my preview(!) - I actually think the level of depth on the dragon customization is a massively fascinating mechanic. As you level up and grow you can customize each individual body part - things like front legs, back legs, different areas of the body, different segments of the tail, the wings, the head, if it has horns or not, what shape they are... everything combines to allow for potentially thousands of possible combinations. You can also add even further cosmetic changes on top of that by changing the dragon's skin etc.

The idea is that no two dragons will be the same. I LOVE this idea. It grows with you, and you decide what it grows into; it becomes your constant companion. You can even equip armour atop of the different body parts - so there's things like you could equip a sharp, serrated armour to the tail for more slashing damage, but it'll be slower as a result, and so on.

Their idea, they explained to me, is that they want Drew - the hero - to be a relatively 'set' character. He will level up and grow, but he'll grow down a set path like a standard JRPG hero (like Noctis is likely to) as the story progresses. However, the Dragon is a completely blank slate, allowing for an Elder Scrolls level of customization - the dragon is a blank slate in terms of his skill set, look, what sort of RPG 'class' role he can fill - and you fill that in yourself and hopefully in the process become attached to him without shifting to a silent or diluted protagonist - you still have a strong one in Drew.

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Meh. The delay doesn't bother me. I'm very excited for the gameplay and environments but the main character just looks so lame in my opinion. He's clearly designed to appeal specifically to a western audience, which is a big turn off for me personally. I'm a little worried that it's going to affect how I feel about the game as a whole. I will still buy the it, though I'm not sure if I'll ever really be able to get past that character design. I do love Platinum games, however, so I'll support it and just hope for some cool alternate outfits that hide his face or something I guess.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Meh. The delay doesn't bother me. I'm very excited for the gameplay and environments but the main character just looks so lame in my opinion. He's clearly designed to appeal specifically to a western audience, which is a big turn off for me personally. I'm a little worried that it's going to affect how I feel about the game as a whole. I will still buy the it, though I'm not sure if I'll ever really be able to get past that character design. I do love Platinum games, however, so I'll support it and just hope for some cool alternate outfits that hide his face or something I guess.
I've seen this complaint many times and honestly I don't understand it. I mean, I don't think it's a very good design but it's serviceable. If anything I'd say he's very similar (maybe a bit too much) to Nero from DMC4. So what is it about his design that makes it seem like it's specifically targeted at western audience?

I also remember gaffers calling him "dudebro" a lot, which made even less sense to me and made me question my understanding of the term. :p

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
I've seen this complaint many times and honestly I don't understand it. I mean, I don't think it's a very good design but it's serviceable. If anything I'd say he's very similar (maybe a bit too much) to Nero from DMC4. So what is it about his design that makes it seem like it's specifically targeted at western audience?

I also remember gaffers calling him "dudebro" a lot, which made even less sense to me and made me question my understanding of the term. :p
I wouldn't consider him dudebro. Dudebro's to me are charecters like RE5 Chris, and to an even further extent I guess I'd say Gears of War type characters. I actually am in the minority in liking Nero. I thought Nero was a wonderfully designed character and I was fine with his personality, too. The guy from Scalebound... hmm, it's actually kinda hard to describe. I feel like they might be going with a classic Dante or Nero type attitude but his looks don't really fit that imo. To me he just looks too plain I think. Just your areverage everyday white dude but with pre-mature white hair. Dante and Nero look cool with white hair, plus there's a reason for it. This guy just strikes me as my next door neighbor in his 20's who unfortunately went gray too early and looks a little too old for his age because of it, and acts less mature than his appearance suggests. lol, best I can do as far as describing what I dislike about it. But who knows, he could grow on me depending on how his character is written. However, from the videos that have been shown so far, I don't see that happening. I don't think it would hurt to give him a little more personality looks wise, though. The right arm is a good try in doing so, I guess, but it's also a tad bit too Nero. There are also the cheesy facial expressions: